• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Salz01

Dont know if this is off topic, but I'm curious to see what Jaffe has to say on the final product of the game. I know he probably wont, because he would have to gloat about it anyways to not make Stig mad. But I wonder if he could say what his favorite part is, or something like that.
That would be interesting to me.

Trevelyan said:
Infamous was actually running off PS2 code iirc. If they take their time with 2 and make a proper engine and utilize the PS3 architecture I have no doubt Infamous 2 will look pretty stunning.

Exactly my point. The GoWIII engine is based off of GoWII's ps2 engine code. I guess i should give them some slack with inFamous being their first foray onto the PS3. I'm expecting iNfamous 2 to set the new standard for open world games.

Salz01 said:
Dont know if this is off topic, but I'm curious to see what Jaffe has to say on the final product of the game. I know he probably wont, because he would have to gloat about it anyways to not make Stig mad. But I wonder if he could say what his favorite part is, or something like that.
That would be interesting to me.

I'd be interested in him talking about what his ending for the trilogy was. I'm pretty sure that he's said that they went off in their own direction for GoW2 and GoW3. But he had "his" trilogy mapped out from the start.

Honolulu

Neo Member
It's on behind the scenes on Gow2 special edition on the disc with the making of, if I remember correctly.

God of War 1 and 2 use the same engine that the jak&daxter-games used for the ps2, although modified.
Same with Ratchet & Clank on PS2, it also used the Jak&Daxter engine.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Honolulu said:
Gow1 and 2 ran on the Jak&Daxter-engine made by Naughty Dog
Gow3 uses an original engine made inhouse.
uh no.

gow 1 and 2 used a revamped kinetica engine.

Honolulu said:
It's on behind the scenes on Gow2 special edition on the disc with the making of, if I remember correctly.

God of War 1 and 2 use the same engine that the jak&daxter-games used for the ps2, although modified.
Same with Ratchet & Clank on PS2, it also used the Jak&Daxter engine.
again. no. :lol

Honolulu said:

WAT? :lol

-viper-

Banned
Generic, why so serious?

It's only a video game. Stop crying over the fact the game doesn't suit your 'HARDCORE ACTION GAMER' needs. You're sounding incredibly whiny and elitist and the fact you've written essays on the subject says it all.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Want a challenge? Play the game on the highest difficulty. It's as simple as that.

Ploid 3.0

Generic said:
What I always felt is that GoW offered that other action games didn't is that it made you feel like you accomplished something for free, while in other games you had to earn it. Let me explain. For you to do well in Bayonetta, it's not enough that you have to kill the enemies. You have to do it is stylishly and making full use of your weapons for combo points, you have to avoid being hit, and you have to do it in an efficient time frame. And god help you if you die against an enemy. You pull and struggle, and fall and pull yourself back up, and what do you get for your troubles? The game laughing at how much you suck with a stone trophy. Now, look at god of war. Besides a combo counter, there's nothing that's ranking you in any way, and your sole objective is to defeat an enemy. The game does not mock you for doing poorly, and once you do defeat an enemy, you are treated to a visually pleasing QTE. That is why casuals prefer God of war, because makes you feel like a badass no matter what.

Because the story is about Kratos and not about the guy holding the controls. Bayonetta is awesome, but it's also comical and I like that. It's not all about it's story, and it's gameplay is the main event. GOW is a different game, it's about Kratos' path of destruction and rage. I would be pretty let down if they have little segments that seperated chapters like bayonetta and gave scores in between. In bayonetta the only reason I tried to do better was because I felt like I might need to buy some stuff later in the game. After a while I went to farm instead of continued the story, just like I did in DMC3. GOW never been about farming like that, there will be more Japanese games like DMC, and Bayonetta, GOW don't need to be like them. Seeing how awesome Uncharted 3 was with keeping the action going with no loading between chapters and after death (I don't remember loading between death) GOW will be much better for having no interruptions for showing you how awesome you are.

Honolulu said:
Gow1 and 2 ran on the Jak&Daxter-engine made by Naughty Dog
Gow3 uses an original engine made inhouse.

I know ND developed their own programming language to make games - I think. But I doubt SMS used it. And the GOW 3 engine is heavily modified version of the GOW2 engine so that the combat would feel familliar.

Games like God of War, Jak & Daxter and Ratchet do NOT use the same engine. J&D and Ratchet are similar looking but insomniac clarified the engine issue a long time ago. The teams do share tech and know-how though...

AAK

JaseC said:
He's right about the first part: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetica

Edit: Obviously, the engine wasn't made by ND. But it is the same core engine used in the J&D games.

I can't imagine the GoWIII engine being completely original, though.

What about God of War II?

Loudninja said:

Man, Fuck you Sony for supporting all this pre-order bonus bullshit.

Honolulu

Neo Member
TheGuardian said:
Games like God of War, Jak & Daxter and Ratchet do NOT use the same engine. J&D and Ratchet are similar looking but insomniac clarified the engine issue a long time ago. The teams do share tech and know-how though...

All of the Ratchet and clank-titles on ps2 made by insomniac used the engine made by Naughty dog for the Jak-titles, I'm 200% sure of that. Insomniac and Naughty Dog had their offices in the same hallway in those days. :p
I'm not too sure about God of War now though.

If you trust wikipedia, then this is from insomniac's page:

Contrary to popular belief, Insomniac never borrowed the Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy engine code from Naughty Dog to use on the Ratchet & Clank games, though several key renderers from Naughty Dog made it into code. As for the two companies' direct involvement, Naughty Dog's Richard Lemarchand said: "We don't really trade anything concrete in terms of technology, but we definitely compare war stories of life in the trenches, and try and learn from each other's experiences."Ted Price clarified Insomniac's stance on engine technology while obliquely mentioning the shared renderers:
"We've always developed all our own technology. It's been a little frustrating in the past for us to hear people say, 'Oh yeah, the Insomniac game is running on the Naughty Dog engine.' People assumed that we were using Naughty Dog's engine for Ratchet, and that was not true. We shared some technology with Naughty Dog way back when, and that was great, but we are a company that puts stock in developing specialized technology and we will continue to do so."

mr_nothin said:
Go play DMC4 and wait for DMC5 then. They're different games with different goals.
Fuckin A. If the combat in GoW was lightning quick as DMC/Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden, I'd have skipped it. Seriously.

I love GoW, I love Kratos, the story it weaves, the spectacular set pieces, awesome boss fights and especially the simple yet fun and effective combat.

Insane Metal said:
10prpro.jpg

:lol Holy shit! I'm dying here!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Cruzader said:
You get the skins when you beat the game. Stop fucking crying.

Actually, Stig confirmed (I think in the Hip Hop Gamer inteview) that there is only 1 bonus costume included on the disc. I wouldn't be so sure you'll be unlocking everything when you beat it. There's almost no point to offering a costume as a pre-order bonus if you just unlock it when you win. Who would play the game the first time using a bonus costume? They probably don't even let you do that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JaseC said:
I remember them saying Kinetica engine was expanded in-house and used for Gow1 and GoW2. I don't think ND had anything to do with it, or used it for any of their games. Really no idea where that info comes from, but we know for sure ND had their own custom LISP based engine for J&D games. Kinetica/GoW engine was practically almost entirely written in some variation of C, which was also explicitly stated by Tim Moss in one of his more recent interviews.

Cruzader

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Actually, Stig confirmed (I think in the Hip Hop Gamer inteview) that there is only 1 bonus costume included on the disc. I wouldn't be so sure you'll be unlocking everything when you beat it. There's almost no point to offering a costume as a pre-order bonus if you just unlock it when you win. Who would play the game the first time using a bonus costume? They probably don't even let you do that.

Well Im sure all Skins are on the disk. Have you guys played GOW games? They always have unlockable skins...like 5+. But to get them all, you need to beat the higher difficulties. Thats why they offer them via preorder, I believe, so you dont have to beat the game multiple times to have them day 1. Idk, but it skins are not that big of a deal. If the extra challenges were, that would be another thing. Those are only on the Ultimate edi. but Im sure will end on the store soon after the launch.

Ploid 3.0

Callibretto said:
I feel like Kratos is getting too powerful, these Gods and Titans are not match for him. which makes him a little boring. I don't mean that Gods need to have grand death.
just show that they can put up a good fight and give some sense of real danger to Kratos

I always like the times when Kratos is shown a bit more vulnerable or struggling because that's when you got the feel Kratos' strong will surpasses any odds and obstacle he faced and I think that's the most enigmatic part of Kratos.

he explore mountains in search of Pandora's Box, when he find it, he had to drag it back to Athen only to get stabbed by Ares when he got to Pandora's temple gate. then instead of giving up, he still refuse to die and crawl back out of Hades and challenge Ares. only to get mindfucked by Ares when shown his family again. stripped out of his weapon and still Kratos rise again with Blade of Athena.

I also like his moment of death in GoW2. stripped out of his power. thrown across the city by giant statue, betrayed and killed by Zeus. and that's after witnessing Zeus killing his entire army except for 1 warrior.

lately he's been having this unbeatable aura around him. like he's not struggling much anymore. he's just that strong now.

I agree, I hope Kratos meet very tough odds, and struggle every step of the way. I'm not sure what game I'm thinking of but I remember a game where the main character gets beat up a lot and lose. I don't want to say it's GOW but it very well could be since you brought up good points of this. It might be something like Uncharted 1, or MGS. But I really like when the main character isn't invincible. It makes things less interesting.

LosDaddie

Banned
From what I understood after talking to my local GS manager was that their pre-order skin was exclusive and only available after you finish the game.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I agree, I hope Kratos meet very tough odds, and struggle every step of the way. I'm not sure what game I'm thinking of but I remember a game where the main character gets beat up a lot and lose. I don't want to say it's GOW but it very well could be since you brought up good points of this. It might be something like Uncharted 1, or MGS. But I really like when the main character isn't invincible. It makes things less interesting.
His Golden Fleece (thanks Jason) is incredibly powerful. You can tilt the outcome of any battle in your favor if you use it wisely. Even Medusas' petrifying stare can be countered making them easy peasy enemies like grunt guards. All the screens I've seen of Kratos show him sporting the fleece, so I don't know if he'll lose it.

SantaMonicaAdam said:
There are a bunch of costumes that come with pre-orders of the game. And there is one you unlock after beating the game that will present a different way to play through the game. I hope they make all the pre-order costumes available a month or so after the game is released. Seems to make sense. Plus the team has been working on some other costume ideas we really hope we can get in for DLC.

I believe you can only unlock 1 costume without all the pre-order stuff.

Which totally sucks btw.

http://forums.godofwar.com/t5/God-o...lopers-on-Forums-Right-Here/td-p/30061/page/5

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
evan_wells (co-pres of ND)

Finished GOW3 last night! Stunning! No reason not to buy this game if you have a PS3, and if you don't, you should buy one to play it! about 2 hours ago via web

:D

Ashhong

i thought i would play GOW 1 and 2 before picking this up...but i dont think I can wait.

so wheres the cheapest place to buy this? Amazon is 56+10$ future credit...hopefully some better deals come around

Top Bottom