• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 art leaks (Norse setting, Kratos w/ beard) [Up2: Polygon says real]

Which part of God of War 4 are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well Kratos in GOW1 did kill the boat captain and he didn't have to .. it was kinda funny but let's not pretend he wasn't an asshole before GOW2.

Well, GOW1 was intended as a standalone greek tragedy, which generally involves protagonists who are flawed, maybe even massive assholes by our standards. Hercules was known for his temper, which resulted in the deaths of many innocent people, though he was aware that it was a problem and he tried to at least get a handle on it.

Whereas Achilles was a massive jackass. Hector did not deserve the crap Achilles did to his body after their duel. And everything that happened at the end of Jason's story was pretty much his fault.

This is going to be a dual protagonist game where Kratos passes the torch (hate) on to a new guy who goes to slay some norse gods because of reasons.

Jonm1010

Banned
Spot on. People have morals. Playing some murdering asshole that has never ever shown a good side is off putting.
He has shown a good side. Albeit flawed and in an anti-hero sort of way.

The entire first game was built upon him trying to find redemption and seek justice for Ares tricking him into killing his wife and daughter. Though that ultimately proved futile because even after saving Athens and killing Ares the gods continue torturing Kratos with nightmares so he attempts to take his own life but Athena saves him and makes him the God of War.

Edit: although I guess I misremembered that last part, the gods upheld their side of the bargain by forgiving him but the nightmares were out of their control and so Kratos tried to kill himself to rid himself of them.

Ad0ve

Banned
All fools badmouthing based Kratos will be running to Gamestop to get this as soon as dem 9 and 10 reviews start coming in

Jonm1010

Banned
Well Kratos in GOW1 did kill the boat captain and he didn't have to .. it was kinda funny but let's not pretend he wasn't an asshole before GOW2.
I didn't say Kratos was a moral Saint, I said he was interesting haha.

He has always been at best an anti-hero. Who's selfish desires occasionally alligned with doing good.

His character and story was interesting in the first game but it quickly decayed into caricature in the second and third game IMO.

Kratos's 'motivation' for chaining a young, naked girl to a cog and having her slowly ripped in half was to open a fucking door. That is certainly something, I guess.

Come now he needed to get past the door! :p
I'll be honest and say I find a lot of those gruesome murders a lot of gleeful fun, like the boat captain or Hercules getting his face smashed in.
Sure I'll be called a 13 years old after that haha.

to be fair god of war 3 is essentially god of war 2 part 2. You cant expect to have any character growth when 3 literally takes place where 2 left us, and the game pretty much takes place in a day or two.

You cant just add characteristics in these types of scenarios.

Great point! GoW 3 is essentially part 2 of 2.
I always played that game expecting it all to be just about Kratos getting his ultimate revenge and not much else.

The hope element at the end when Kratos was in his own mind was a nice surprising touch to cap it off I thought.

I'm guessing this is some sort of warrior reincarnation of Kratos based on the beard and new weapons. So maybe some other Norse man was screwed over by the gods and he was so filled with rage that it awoke Kratos' spirit or something along those lines.

I don't see a good reason normal Kratos would be running around in Norse mythology.

doofy102

I didn't say Kratos was a moral Saint, I said he was interesting haha.

He has always been at best an anti-hero. Who's selfish desires occasionally alligned with doing good.

His character and story was interesting in the first game but it quickly decayed into caricature in the second and third game IMO.

That's basically what happened. Even in the PSP games, where they tried to "humanise" Kratos, he still angrily shouted his dialogue, which sounded ridiculous. I don't know how difficult it is to just follow God of War 1; let him get angry during actual combat and let him be remorseful/introspective when he's in quiet time.

I think it's cuz in a sense gamers try to project themselves on characters whereas with a character like Kratos it's hard for a lot of people to do so because you question his motivation.

If this was a major issue the series wouldn't have been that succesful. Here on Neogaf Kratos seems to be a very unpopular character, but I'm not sure this is representative.

Me personally I don't project myself as the main character of a game, by far not in all games at least. If I did I wouldn't be able to play most games, since I don't want to murder people. At least the portrayal of Kratos is somewhat consistent in that he is ruthless both in character as in gameplay (other than in, say, Uncharted, where Drake kills hundreds of people while still being portrayed as the nice and likeable guy - not that I think that is a major problem either).

jonno394

I'm guessing this is some sort of warrior reincarnation of Kratos based on the beard and new weapons. So maybe some other Norse man was screwed over by the gods and he was so filled with rage that it awoke Kratos' spirit or something along those lines.

I don't see a good reason normal Kratos would be running around in Norse mythology.

This is along the same lines as I am thinking.

Just got into work and looked at the images a little more closely. Kratos' skin does not look ashen any more - maybe he received his redemption after all? Also, glad to see it move away from the Blades of Chaos, even if the axe does make me think of Assassin's Creed 3 a little too much. I'm not expecting the combat to ever rival something like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, but a change-up to the combat system is most welcome.

Also, people surprised at the return of Kratos are delusional. He's probably Sony's most recognisable character, and there's no way they're going to retire him - especially if Uncharted 4 really is Nate's last outing. I hope at the very least he's more humble and has settings other than 'Angry' and 'Extremely Angry'.

valkyre

All fools badmouthing based Kratos will be running to Gamestop to get this as soon as dem 9 and 10 reviews start coming in

Yes like everyone rushed to buy Ascension and like "dem" reviews were 9s and 10s...

GOW is a tired franchise and Kratos is older than old news. It was cool at the beginning and until GOW 3 there was a -somewhat decent- plot, but then they decided to go nuts and nonsensical with it and now they migrate him to a new mythology.

Whatever. Speak for yourself i guess.

SSReborn

If this was a major issue the series wouldn't have been that succesful. Here on Neogaf Kratos seems to be a very unpopular character, but I'm not sure this is representative.

Me personally I don't project myself as the main character of a game, by far not in all games at least. If I did I wouldn't be able to play most games, since I don't want to murder people. At least the portrayal of Kratos is somewhat consistent in that he is ruthless both in character as in gameplay (other than in, say, Uncharted, where Drake kills hundreds of people while still being portrayed as the nice and likeable guy - not that I think that is a major problem either).
Oh I agree it's not a major issue for most but for some it is and they tend to be very vocal about it. I don't think the mainstream cares either way.

Yes like everyone rushed to buy Ascension and like "dem" reviews were 9s and 10s...

GOW is a tired franchise and Kratos is older than old news. It was cool at the beginning and until GOW 3 there was a -somewhat decent- plot, but then they decided to go nuts and nonsensical with it and now they migrate him to a new mythology.

Ad0ve is jumping the shark with the reviews line but a mainline GoW in a new mythos is definitely re invigoration of the series you call older than old news.

There is a ton of hype for a new GoW outside Gaf where it's mostly not liked as a series, so SSM clearly will cater to that want.

Jonm1010

Banned
That's basically what happened. Even in the PSP games, where they tried to "humanise" Kratos, he still angrily shouted his dialogue, which sounded ridiculous. I don't know how difficult it is to just follow God of War 1; let him get angry during actual combat and let him be remorseful/introspective when he's in quiet time.
And I mean beyond that, the character just lost all believable agency after the first game and completely separated himself from any sort of semblance of possible empathy. At least by GoW II.

Where he is essentielly no better then Ares in the first game and is just laying waste to cities in the name of blood lust and conquest. Where yeah, Zeus and others had ulterior motives, but trying to relinquish Kratos's powers is probably the right move anyways because the guy is just a sociopath. Which makes him hard to root for and less interesting to play without some sort of interesting arc. That's beside the fact that the game pretty transparently becomes built around just getting Kratos to the next set piece.

I'm all for a new GOW game set in Norse Mythology but please have the game star a brand new protagonist. Just let Kratos have his well deserved rest already.

Yet I'll still end up buying it day 1.

Every time I try to get into GoW, whenever I reach the point where Kratos just straight up murders innocents brutally for no reason puts me off the game completely.

I'm not saying I'm some kind of virtual Saint who never kills civilian npcs, God knows I had a little too much fun with Prototype and No Russian, but GoW way of trying to be as edgy is just too much for me.

flattie

Norse mythology? I'm in. It's been long enough since GoW3 - I'm ready for another outing, with or without Kratos.

Should be one hell of a looker - I fully expect to see the plaque on the teeth that are flying out of whichever god's head I get to pop!

We know almost nothing about the game, apart from the change in mythology and that he seems to have a different primary weapon. We also have the series' best director back and SSM are a large studio who have gone through some structural changes and refocused on this game. They're clearly making efforts for this to be different to the other games, so I think it's too soon to be calling it tired and saying it's trite to switch the series to a new mythology.

And I mean beyond that, the character just lost all believable agency after the first game and completely separated himself from any sort of semblance of possible empathy. At least by GoW II.

Where he is essentielly no better then Ares in the first game and is just laying waste to cities in the name of blood lust and conquest. Where yeah, Zeus and others had ulterior motives, but trying to relinquish Kratos's powers is probably the right move anyways because the guy is just a sociopath. Which makes him hard to root for and less interesting to play without some sort of interesting arc.

Yeah, he was a total dick in everything but the first game. I felt duped by believing the Ascension marketing that they were going to humanise him, but he just ended up being the same angry bastard again.

Fuck me. They listen to the fans as far as the setting being norse yet completely miss the point that it's because no one wants another kratos game.

Ya'll are getting too hung up on Kratos.

;)

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.gif

Please, be brutal and massively violent so people that don't like it and won't play it will cry and will call people like me monsters.

It'll be fun. After 6 games there will still be people who will discover the same things over and over.

valkyre

We know almost nothing about the game, apart from the change in mythology and that he seems to have a different primary weapon. We also have the series' best director back and SSM are a large studio who have gone through some structural changes and refocused on this game. They're clearly making efforts for this to be different to the other games, so I think it's too soon to be calling it tired and saying it's trite to switch the series to a new mythology.

Yeah, he was a total dick in everything but the first game. I felt duped by believing the Ascension marketing that they were going to humanise him, but he just ended up being the same angry bastard again.

I wouldnt have special issues if they just decided to use a different main character and start a new story.

Kratos is older than old news. His story has been told already way more than it should.

Getting him to a new mythology altogether sounds to me pure nonsense.

What, they think gamers will not be interested in a new GOW mythology with a different character? And basically i cant even fathom we are doing this talk over a character the likes of Kratos. As if his personality, charisma and overall arc is such an interesting one that we cant let him go...

We're on page 24, so I'm sure its been brought up...but man it's weird seeing his beard being used a point of high discussion not just here but on blogs and sites.
He's always had a freaking beard! No wonder theres so many remakes and ports in this industry, people have the memories if gold fish.

Alienous

We're on page 24, so I'm sure its been brought up...but man it's weird seeing his beard being used a point of high discussion not just here but on blogs and sites.
He's always had a freaking beard! No wonder theres so many remakes and ports in this industry, people have the memories if gold fish.

A goatee isn't a beard.

It's a goatee.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. His beard is now a bit bigger -- let's make 1000 comments talking about how weird it looks on him!!

Hydrargyrus

I'm not sure that the character is Kratos again.

Could be another god of war reincarnation, with another background/circumstances but characterized by the red paintings like his predecesor.

Every time I try to get into GoW, whenever I reach the point where Kratos just straight up murders innocents brutally for no reason puts me off the game completely.

I'm not saying I'm some kind of virtual Saint who never kills civilian npcs, God knows I had a little too much fun with Prototype and No Russian, but GoW way of trying to be as edgy is just too much for me.

Well, it's fair enough.
We are individuals with different tastes, it seems that the franchise just isn't for you.
For example, when the violence, behaviours, ecc are so exaggerated I stop thinking about it.
I find difficult to be uncomfortable with fictional violence for some reason.

Well I think think Kratos is a massive asshole I also believe that he's exactly what everyone in the God of War universe deserves. Everyone in that game was an asshole in some way or another.

Henkka

Banned
Curious to see how it ties into the original trilogy. If it's a direct continuation, you'd think Kratos would have a scar on his tummy from the end of 3.

So, after depicting the greek gods as a bunch of douchebags, just to grandify KRAYTOS, their next offense will be against norse mythology?

Fuck you Jaffe.

Top Bottom