• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

My hope is that you get to play Kratos and Deimos, having some epic co-op action!!

tumblr_ky6o7pSBiq1qz5d8go1_r1_500.gif

I have a feeling it would, especially the whole prequel and family business.

Bebpo

Banned
god of war is about being a raging, violent crazy person. kratos is quite honestly fairly extinguished as a character. i hope we get more media tomorrow becuz right now this teaser isn't getting me hyped at all.

And there's no reason why you couldn't have him reincarnated as an identical looking person in another place, another time.

Mooreberg

I haven't played Ghost of Sparta yet (still need to pick up the PS3 collection) but... well I guess anything that could be asked or told about Deimos would involve spoilers. I guess I can see them staying in the Greek mythology because of how much story has been built up at this point, but another perspective of it would have been good.

Are you fucking kidding me? He kills the entire pantheon of Greek gods and throws the entire world into chaos and the devs think he should be rewarded? Bastard got what was coming to him.

He raged against the gods for what they did to him specifically, and in doing so killed a lot of people, yet freed them from the tyranny of the gods. "Rewarded" isn't necessary a good thing.

SmithnCo

They had a perfect setup if he was supposed to turn into a Death-like character. Hopefully this has some fresh gameplay stuff.

AAK

A prequel huh? Well honestly that would be better than messing with the way GOW3 ended.

I'm interested solely because of the developer.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How is it unnecessary? Does anyone care about the story in GoW? I'll just be glad that they don't have to tie up loose ends with this one.

The series is about savagery and spectacle, not story.

Well, GoW3 seemed to try and make you feel bad for Kratos with Pandora...it just failed terribly.

To me, God of War is playing someone with a ton of power while you rip all of the Gods a new asshole. They already milked the mythology, I really just wanted a new timeline and different gods to see. I feel like this is redundant either way, and my dislike for Kratos is just the cherry on top.

Valnen

Yes it could, but they'd just lose the face of the whole franchise.That's why they keep returning to Kratos. If fans would buy the game no matter what, I think they'd already move on.

It would be like if Nintendo decided to stop making Mario games with Mario in them. It just wouldn't work. Kratos is basically the Mario of Playstation.

Darknight

Master Chief wasn't in Halo Reach actually.

Bad example I guess. Master Chief is a super soldier who has barely any personality and behind a mask. I'm sure their fans don't care who you play as since it doesn't matter.

GOW wouldn't be the same without the dramatic character we all know.

Sidzed2

The series is great, but could definitely use a shot in the arm to revitalise it; it appears that the story is taking the prequel route, so all that's left to hope for is that the game jazzes up the series' core gameplay in a meaningful way.

The prequel aspect doesn't really grab me, to be honest, but I will reserve judgment until more is known.

injurai

Banned
posted this in the other thread but after listening the that teaser again this is what I noticed.

A time before he become the monster "the ghost of sparta"... So pre GoW1...

A time before he was driven by rage, still driven by some form of madness...

A time when he breaks his promise?(couldn't make this one out) to an unjust god....

A time when he will no longer be bound in blood... Pre-deal with Ares? However he still has his blades.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
You see it's very hard where to go with Kratos next. Whatever happens will be a huge leap: forwards or backwards, depending on how they do it. They can switch mythologies, take on any religion (even though I find that silly) or even still focus on the Greeks.

That's why I think the next time we see Kratos "continuing" his storyline, it'll be a reboot. The prequel is just a last GOW game for the PS3's last hoorah.

Haunted

I liked GoW III. It had some really boring levels, but the highs that game hit were really high.

The whole first level and Kronos fight in particular were absolute standouts.

Clevinger

Bad example I guess. Master Chief is a super soldier who has barely any personality and behind a mask. I'm sure their fans don't care who you play as since it doesn't matter.

Kratos doesn't have any personality besides HULK SMASH. He doesn't have a mask and you see his actual face. I guess he has that going for him. He has a face.

matmanx1

God of War 3 was awesome. It had some rough edges but the sheer spectacle of the game coupled with it's brutality and crazy high BA quotient makes it one of my favorite PS3 games. Of course I want another one. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it!

I really wish they introduced another main character.

Kratos' uber emo constant rage mode is starting to wear it's welcome.

All of his dialogue will include him yelling...at something. With rage. Having said that, gameplay should be fun as expected.

GeoramA

Hope it actually has multiplayer, something like horde mode.

Never thought I'd say that, but it would be more interesting than the challenge stuff.

Here's the idea I pitched to Sony.

Kratos wakes up in present day New York with no powers. He has to get part time jobs to earn enough money to buy them back, but he keeps getting fired from becoming outraged at customers.

Online pass enables access to the kart racing online multiplayer.

Top Bottom