• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Need a new main character. Kratos is a huge dick and there really isn't anywhere for the series to go. Not to rain on the fun, the games are great gameplay wise.

KevinCow

Banned
Another prequel? Eh.

I mean I'm sure it'll be fun, but the story of Kratos is kinda told by now. You can only go back to the same well so many times.

Still, there hasn't been a God of War game that I haven't enjoyed, even with the bullshit POWER OF HOPE AND LOVE TRIUMPHS OVER ALL! ending to 3. So tentatively interested.

Solid07

Banned
GOW3 spoiled the hell out of me and really prevented me from enjoying other similar 3rd person action games (castlevania los, bayonetta, dante's inferno, etc...).

GOW: Ascension. FUCK YES. My body is ready.

Haven't we had enough God of War prequel shit? Bleh. Retire Kratos! Leave him alone! Go somewhere else. Pick a different type of mythology.

jett

D-Member
he also tries it in CoO, and in GoS, and does it finally in 3. It's almost a running joke. What the hell is this game going to be about? Breaking Kratos down even further into some raging asshole that just wants to kill everything while occasionally lamenting the loss of his family for 5 seconds? GoW 1 does have the best story because Kratos seems the most human, with real reasons to his rage and quest.

GOW2 fucked the story all up, and GOW3 tried to make amends as best it could. Yeah the story is all FUBAR after GOW3. I guess that's why they're apparently making a prequel/remake eh. :p

shamanick

While it is disappointing that it seems they are staying in the Greek mythology, I enjoy the hell out of the series (especially on consoles). I like that it has been unapologetically single-player. Going through the games on the hardest difficulty is really satisfying. Day 1!

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm quite confused by this line in the trailer:

"A time when he will no longer be bound in blood." This is obviously referring to events that take place after 3, yet other lines in the trailer distinctly make it sound like a prequel. Bleh.

So, will we still get Greek mythology? I was hoping they would expand and use others but it doesn't seem likely by what I have read. Still, it looks like it will be great, and considering how good GoW 3 every action fan should look forward to this one!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How is Kratos unlikable? He behaves like that for a reason.

gdt

I really hope its not a prequel, but I still haven't played the two PSP games. I'm meaning to pick up the PS3 versions, soon as I can.

But whatever, I'll be there. These games are always fun, and epic.

jet1911

pfft we don't need a new character at all. Kratos is a badass.

After 5 games I think the setting and the character has been beaten to death. I would have been more interested in the game if SSM (pretty sure they're still behind the game) tried to explore a new mythology with a new hero.

-Winnie-

This is odd... it sounds like they're going for another prequel, but we already got a lot of backstory in the PSP games.

b3b0p

This is not cool.

Another pretty fun, highly anticipated franchise is getting a spinoff series.

Have you people learned nothing from Squeenix?

Another prequel? I don't care about the time before Kratos wasn't the God of War. I mean i heavily dislike Kratos in general so it's a shame he's back, but still what interesting story is there to add to him? This is disappointing. I had hoped 3 meant the end of Kratos and we could move unto something new, a prequel starting Kratos does not sound appealing.

Well I assume since the world won't be destroyed we can see some great vistas(even though the greek thing is tired now) with some great graphics.

BHK3

Banned
GOW2 fucked the story all up, and GOW3 tried to make amends as best it could. Yeah the story is all FUBAR after GOW3. I guess that's why they're apparently making a prequel/remake eh. :p

It's funny because the director for 2 kinda does feel like he ruined the series.

It took it to new directions I didn't expect, it just got way too ambitious and complicated toward the end. The third one was left with a mess of a story that was basically impossible to fix up so it just decided to rely on action while throwing side stuff in it to make it interesting.

CoO was ok but makes no sense story wise, same for GoS but that one was at least very enjoyable though it did still have that 'Kratos is sad about something but the way he goes about it is fucking retarded' staple thing of the series which dragged it down

Dug

Banned
AHAUHAUHAUHAUHUAHAUA MR. YOSHIDA

inMTBmplc9Wwp.jpg
...I feel bad now. :(

Darknight

Yeah, that guy outta think about his actions and consequences before posting.

Lol I'm just kidding. I saw that thread where people were jumping him like pirahnas. Love the guy since he does post sweet deals. I think Wario64 would of 1up'd Yoshi if he had posted this leak....that would of been insane lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I don't think 3 tried to make amends at all. It fucked it up much worse than 2 did, though 2 did a good job at fucking it all up.

but yeah, 1 was a good setup and seemed to start kratos as a tragic character. That completely flew out the window.

Hale-XF11

Ghost of Sparta is actually quite good, definitely better than Chain of Olympus and even better than the PS2 games in some ways, I think.

Huh, well that's cool. I think maybe I'm just worn out on the series then. Maybe I'll check it out sometime later if I feel like getting back into it again.

KingK

It fails terribly in every game. The guy kills all of the innocent and the guilty alike in his reckless rampages. He is a colossal asshole, and one of the biggest selfish pricks in any video game. He has no regard for the consequences of his actions and is sympathetic to no one.

Every time he starts to cry about his family it's the most disingenuous bullshit. You cannot make this character sympathetic. He's a psychopath.

Look, I'm not saying they need to make Kratos a sunshine and lollipops kind of character. In fact, being a giant asshole selfish prick can be fun. But don't give me a reckless psychomatic murdering maniac and try to sell me that he's misunderstood or his actions are justifiable or something. That's stupid.

Kratos is Walter White.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
In the perfect world, a writer remembered that Kratos gained the ability to turn back time at the conclusion of GoW2 and decided that at the end of 3 he would do a grand re-do, pitting him against Ares, prior to the events of the original game. Allowing him the happy ending he so rightfully deserves.
Jumping off the cliff.

I suspect that it is a remake or re-imagining of the first game but semi open world. It probably starts off with Kratos and his family alive and doing "missions" for Ares up until the point he gets betrayed. Id like it if it were open world like AC was (Akham City). Thats just me speculating though.

I have faith that SSM will not follow the same formula with this game.

Top Bottom