• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

Two Words

EH I just dont see them adding all of this just for the kid when you dont really play as him.

God of War isn't the kind of game where you're going to notice that you're doing better with a new version of a weapon that does slightly more damage or a set of armor that gives you a 5% damage resistance. You simply won't have any appreciation from that. However, your kid starting with a shitty bow and arrow or dagger and upgrading him to be a bigger aid to you will be a much greater impact. This is especially so since Kratos can still be Kratos.

bunkitz

I can see the franchise going both ways, either continuing with Kratos or his son, and I'd be happy with both. More so with the former, though. I like the idea of the boy being there assisting Kratos throughout their entire journey, not just because he's his son, but for his presence, which for me, will ground Kratos to his humanity and kind of serve as his tether and prevent him from going back to just slaughtering gods and titans, and everything else around him.
Perhaps those are perks that your son gets as he levels up, that appear as tattoos on him? Those names sound too much like perk names IMO

Oh, that would be pretty cool and fitting. It could be similar to Far Cry 3 where he gets more tattoos and stuff, yeah. I would imagine specific upgrade paths, such as exploration and archery, as seen in the trailer. We get EXP for each of those paths, which we could then spend towards new tattoos, maybe? It would be more appropriate than just leveling up then choosing something he didn't have any experience with, like melee combat if he's never done that before.
I think it will be for both really,speaking of that:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

Customizing you fighting style has me every interested.

Shit sounds dope. From the sound of it, I'm fairly certain now that the combat will have more depth than the previous games. I don't think it'll be flashier, because it's hard to top that classic God of War combo, but it just might have more depth.

DieH@rd

Banned
Kratos is still the "God of War" even if he lost his powers, he still has that title right?

Why do you think he has lost his powers?

Corey Barlog still says that he is a god and that his son is a god [godlike being, possibly both being immortal]. Belief that power corrupts and that they will live forever pushes Kratos into action, into trying to educate kid to not be like him. To learn him to be better.

["You must be... better."]

Corey Barlog still says that he is a god and that his son is a god [godlike being, possibly both being immortal]. Belief that power corrupts and that they will live forever pushes Kratos into action, into trying to educate kid to not be like him. To learn him to be better.

I take the ending of GoW 3 to be him wanting to end the cycle of revenge and violence. He even says that his vengeance is complete.

Lots of reflection and time may have given him a new perspective on power and responsibility, along with a solid beard.

MaxHouse

Banned

He still had his demi-god powers being the son of Zeus

but im talking abut his God powers...the one he got when Athena made him God of War at the end of the first game...remember he could grow huge, than zeus drained that with the blade of olympus

Am I the only one not in love? I already have a ton of third paerson RPG like games to play. But God of war was non stop adrenaline guy stuff such a fun guilty pleasure now I have to baby sit. Kratos is neutered caring for his son. The game is still violent I guess but the dynamic had changed completely.

Normally I don't agree with Jeff (From Giantbomb), but when he was talking about this new GOW game and how he really did not like all the previous versions of the game, but that this one seemed really interesting, it Exactly how I felt after I watched the presentation during the Sony conference. I never liked the GOW series, it just seemed way too over the top and just did not click with me, when this demo started, I was almost instantly intrigued and when it was over I had a pretty big smile on my face. It definitely looks like it is going to be a great game.

Same here.

Am I the only one not in love? I already have a ton of third paerson RPG like games to play. But God of war was non stop adrenaline guy stuff such a fun guilty pleasure now I have to baby sit. Kratos is neutered caring for his son. The game is still violent I guess but the dynamic had changed completely.
Is it "babysitting" if the son can handle himself and is basically another weapon for you to use in combat?

MaxHouse

Banned

Kratos will do no babysitting

his son is a god as well so he can handle himself as well

Lady Gaia

God of war was non stop adrenaline guy stuff such a fun guilty pleasure now I have to baby sit.

It's okay with me if you'd like to leave this style of game to those of us who are intrigued. There's more to life than "non stop adrenaline guy stuff", thank goodness.

Kratos is neutered caring for his son.

If you think caring for another human being is boring, easy, or uninteresting I don't know what to say. It adds so much more depth to what has previously been rather shallow. At some point if you're not going to depart significantly from what you've already done then there's not much point in making another cookie-cutter sequel. I think it's a breath of fresh air and has the potential to be so much more than the series was.

Ame

All this babysitting talk. Corey Barlog already stated that his son won't hinder the player in any way. He won't get in the way and he won't steal your kills. The boy can handle himself. He constantly learns and gets better as the game progresses. I don't think he can even die.

In the same way Joel "babysat" Ellie in TLOU as she busted some enemy in the head with a brick I suppose.

There was never a dedicated "Ellie button" for her actions like there is for Kratos' son. I feel like The son will be an extension of combat combo moves that you'll be able do, as you progress and gain new abilities for both you and him. Excited for the potential
'

MaxHouse

Banned
Kratos son is a Demi-God like him, meaning he is probably going to be more capable then what Ellie could do and the gameplay will reflect that

Deku Tree

I honestly hate "no load screens". It just means booring raft pushing like in TLOU or booring dolly pushing puzzles like in Uncharted.

thelastword

Banned
I honestly hate "no load screens". It just means booring raft pushing like in TLOU or booring dolly pushing puzzles like in Uncharted.
So you rather awful loadtimes like in Witcher 3? So you rather watch a static screen than play the game, btw puzzles, rafts and ladders have always been part of tps games, even fps like Halflife and halflife 2 had lots of puzzles, pushing boxes etc..yet the loading times were not as good. I really think you're trying to undermine some genuinely good tech here. The rafts and ladders you lugged weren't just there to mask, neither were the puzzles. So I wonder what you will say about Horizon Zero Dawn which has no loadtimes as well, I'm not seeing much in the way of raft pushing.

Lets be fair here, a lot of games suffer because of bad loadtimes. Witcher on consoles, Just Cause 3, Even Bloodborne would have been nigh on perfect if FROM used some of that loadtime techniology.

bunkitz

Yeah, of course not having loading screens means we'll have puzzles like that. That makes total sense and is 100% logical.

---

It's becoming a little annoying how closed some fans are to the idea of change. God of War has had six games already, all sticking to the same formula. Most were great, but it was getting stale. You can always replay the games if you want that same gameplay. I mean, after all, 3 was somewhat recently remastered, right? And no offense, but I think it's really foolish to not want any character development or gameplay changes. Yes, every new game in the franchise introduced some new things, but nothing really changed. Where's the fun in that? This one is a massive change, I know. That's why it's exciting, though. If it's really not to your liking, then just let it go. As for the character, there is absolutely nothing interesting with a one-note character who just does the same thing again and again and does not develop as a character in any sort of way. That's like being such a hard headed person not willing to grow up and learn things. It's just, well, being close minded.

Personally, I think it's really exciting that Kratos won't just be killing and killing and killing. I love the idea that he has a companion now, one he cares for and will assist him in their journey. That there will be much more to the game than just hacking and slashing and the occasional puzzle and collectible. Plus, gameplay-wise, it'll be really useful to have a context-based assist tool. Players who don't want the assist and insist on doing everything themselves because that's hardcore and whatever the fuck else, well, I'm sure you don't have to press Square.

MaxHouse

Banned
Yeah, of course not having loading screens means we'll have puzzles like that. That makes total sense and is 100% logical.

---

It's becoming a little annoying how closed some fans are to the idea of change. God of War has had six games already, all sticking to the same formula. Most were great, but it was getting stale. You can always replay the games if you want that same gameplay. I mean, after all, 3 was somewhat recently remastered, right? And no offense, but I think it's really foolish to not want any character development or gameplay changes. Yes, every new game in the franchise introduced some new things, but nothing really changed. Where's the fun in that? This one is a massive change, I know. That's why it's exciting, though. If it's really not to your liking, then just let it go. As for the character, there is absolutely nothing interesting with a one-note character who just does the same thing again and again and does not develop as a character in any sort of way. That's like being such a hard headed person not willing to grow up and learn things. It's just, well, being close minded.

Personally, I think it's really exciting that Kratos won't just be killing and killing and killing. I love the idea that he has a companion now, one he cares for and will assist him in their journey. That there will be much more to the game than just hacking and slashing and the occasional puzzle and collectible. Plus, gameplay-wise, it'll be really useful to have a context-based assist tool. Players who don't want the assist and insist on doing everything themselves because that's hardcore and whatever the fuck else, well, I'm sure you don't have to press Square.

makes you wonder what the reaction to the announcement of RE4 was and then when the game came out everyone loved it

People shouldn't be down on ai partner in new gow. It could be really cool if done right. Kratos and Deimos vs Thanatos is one of the coolest boss battle in GoW series, and that is with psp hardware. Imagine if they expand on that with ps4 power

Lemondish

It's okay with me if you'd like to leave this style of game to those of us who are intrigued. There's more to life than "non stop adrenaline guy stuff", thank goodness.

If you think caring for another human being is boring, easy, or uninteresting I don't know what to say. It adds so much more depth to what has previously been rather shallow. At some point if you're not going to depart significantly from what you've already done then there's not much point in making another cookie-cutter sequel. I think it's a breath of fresh air and has the potential to be so much more than the series was.

I absolutely agree that it's a breath of fresh air. I think it's brilliant. But you're not wrong. There's always a point in making cookie cutter sequels - people love them. Not to mention that sometimes people appreciate shallow escapism.

MaxHouse

Banned
Their not going to change Kratos that much...

I think its really more of a logical conclusion for Kratos...after defeating the Olympians..he really has no point to be continue his rage

but as you can see in the demo he still has those elements of him

giphy.gif

dat craftsmanship

Maybe the three nail holes on the stem of the axe are to indicate upgrade levels? I like the idea of the indicators be on the weapon itself rather than on a HUD like how some games show bullet count on the weapon itself.

bunkitz

Some new (the third one, at least) information courtesy of Spanish website Level Up, via GameSpot:
  • the game will be single-player only
  • the game will run at 30 FPS
  • this will not be Kratos' last game
Nothing major, except for that last one. The way they've talked about it so far makes the game sound like a new chapter in Kratos' life. I really believe that Kratos won't die or retire at the end, and have his son take over the franchise.
Their not going to change Kratos that much...

I think its really more of a logical conclusion for Kratos...after defeating the Olympians..he really has no point to be continue his rage

but as you can see in the demo he still has those elements of him

That's the thing, though, the rage isn't because of the Olympians. It's an innate part of him. That was mentioned in an interview, I think, and how Kratos is trying to control that rage. Knowing when and where to unleash it. I think the Spartan Rage was a great way to display that. His rage was building up, and he (or rather, the players, as Kratos) chose when to unleash it.

Speaking of the Spartan Rage, I'm really curious as to how it works. Does it allow us to instantly finish off enemies when their health is at a certain level? But then, Kratos didn't finish the troll off. He dealt some massive damage then held him down for his son to finish it off.

Loudninja

Maybe the three nail holes on the stem of the axe are to indicate upgrade levels? I like the idea of the indicators be on the weapon itself rather than on a HUD like how some games show bullet count on the weapon itself.
GamesBeat: The graphical user interface had a set of three icons we didn’t see in the original trailer. We saw an axe, a bow, and another one that wasn’t clear. What do those represent?

Cory Barlog: Those are the stand-ins we’re using at the moment. They’re filling in the idea of having specials. This game has an element of specials. I’m playing around how that may be connected with the possibility of swapping out different styles. On the axe, you see the lines there. All this is our structure for upgrading and being able to outfit Kratos and customize his fighting style to your own specifications.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

bunkitz

giphy.gif

dat craftsmanship

Oh! I never realized that the frost coated the axe like that. I really like that. Looks really good. I really think that yellow orb thing where the ice came from will be replaceable with different elements. They did talk about elements a bit. Go to Muspelheim, and maybe we'll get a fire orb-thing. Yeah. A flaming mjolnir-like axe. I like.
Any ideas what the subtitle will be?

God of War: A God's End?

I'm pretty sure it's simply "God of War." No subtitle. I wouldn't want one either.

Tonky

I'm pretty sure it's simply "God of War." No subtitle. I wouldn't want one either.
That would be pretty nice, and would work fine with the new logo (snake in place of omega symbol). But it's a AAA first-party game, it'll have a subtitle.

reKon

Banned
This looks incredible...looks better than Uncharted 4 already with probably a year to go

Don't get me wrong, I adore Naughty Dog...but i always felt that Santa Monica seem like they were always one up when it came to graphics

I don't think it does. They both look as good as each other IMO

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've never been excited for a God of War game, I'm all sorts of excited for this.

Sounds and looks like Dark Souls, TLoU and God of War all melded into one amazing one-shot experience.

Sign me up Sony!

Aces&Eights

Is it "babysitting" if the son can handle himself and is basically another weapon for you to use in combat?

I'm not convinced that we won't end up being the boy. Why does he get experience points, etc if he is just a "hit square" companion? I'm waiting for the bomb to drop in that Kratos dies really early on in the game and his son becomes the new God of War.

Regardless, I'm liking the direction they are taking with the game. As long as they dont make the crafting and gathering become monotonous shite like in most games, I will be happy. Really need to see more indepth combat, too.

OCD Guy

I know that sometimes you need to change thing's to keep things fresh but I think they've gone too far.

The fact that so many people have pretty much stated that they normally dislike god of war games but like the look of this speaks volumes.

This doesn't look like a god of war game to me at all.

Creating a new I.P would have been more beneficial I feel.

I'd have been happy with more of the same with fancy graphics. They could have just added some new moves or some new mechanics. But they seem to have changed genres instead.....

Two Words

I'm not convinced that we won't end up being the boy. Why does he get experience points, etc if he is just a "hit square" companion? I'm waiting for the bomb to drop in that Kratos dies really early on in the game and his son becomes the new God of War.

Regardless, I'm liking the direction they are taking with the game. As long as they dont make the crafting and gathering become monotonous shite like in most games, I will be happy. Really need to see more indepth combat, too.

Why would SSM totally reinvent Kratos just to kill him off early and have his son that nobody really knows be the main protagonist?

I know that sometimes you need to change thing's to keep things fresh but I think they've gone too far.

The fact that so many people have pretty much stated that they normally dislike god of war games but like the look of this speaks volumes.

I'd have been happy with more of the same with fancy graphics. They could have just added some new moves or some new mechanics. But they seem to have changed genres instead.....

I don't think that's an entirely accurate assesment since there's many reasons for why someone who didn't like GoW but loves the look of this.

The gameplay changes are probably a distant second to Kratos not being a piece of shit, one-dimensional character anymore for most I'd wager.

bunkitz

It would not have mattered as much to people if it's brand new in that they don't know the characters and world so have zero attachment. In addition to that, Sony Santa Monica wanted to further Kratos' story. He deserves the change and character development. After all, he's such an iconic character, and yet he's 99% rage.
Why would SSM totally reinvent Kratos just to kill him off early and have his son that nobody really knows be the main protagonist?

This, very much. Also, Barlog said that it's not Kratos' last game, so I kind of doubt that.

Two Words

I don't think that's an entirely accurate assesment since there's many reasons for why someone who didn't like GoW but loves the look of this.

The gameplay changes are probably a distant second to Kratos not being a piece of shit, one-dimensional character anymore for most I'd wager.

Yeah I'm a huge GoW fan and I'll go to bat for Ascension all day. I'm still really glad about this shift.

MaxHouse

Banned

Why I do like the change

I think I'm getting somewhat tired of this sentiment...

I hate the idea that every character has to be developed and multi-layered....there is nothing wrong with just having a crazy raged protagonist for a game, especially a game like god of war

why i do like the change for Kratos there was nothing wrong in how he was portrayed in the first 6 games

Why I do like the change

I think I'm getting somewhat tired of this sentiment...

I hate the idea that every character has to be developed and multi-layered....there is nothing wrong with just having a crazy raged protagonist for a game, especially a game like god of war

why i do like the change for Kratos there was nothing wrong in how he was portrayed in the first 6 games
People seem to forget that the first God of War was actually praised for its story too, and was a pretty good example of a classic Greek tragic hero done for modern times. God of War 2 and 3 were the games that turned Kratos into a psycho one-dimensional "character".

Top Bottom