• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

Veelk

Banned
People seem to forget that the first God of War was actually praised for its story too, and was a pretty good example of a classic Greek tragic hero done for modern times. God of War 2 and 3 were the games that turned Kratos into a psycho one-dimensional "character".

I still don't understand why people refer to it as a tragedy. The ending of the game has him ascend to Godhood in addition to having his sins forgiven, just not forgotten.

He got more than what he asked for in return, and I am thoroughly unconvinced that Kratos wouldn't have gotten over the deaths of his family if he had ultimate power as a god. The guy was a complete sociopath and never even tried to atone for his crimes. What he specifically wanted was for his nightmares and guilt to leave him, which is different from atonement. I mean, he had a blank check from the gods, he could have asked that the Gods bring back his wife and kid or atleast ensure they live in Elysium, but he was concerned with alleviating his own pain. I have difficulty believing a guy like Kratos wouldn't just start reveling in his own power and it seems unbelievable to me that human nightmares would have any great power over the mind of a God, so I just don't think Athena's promise was as unfulfilled as the game would have us believe, if we're going by the first game alone. All it meant is that Athena herself couldn't directly magic his nightmares away.

Kratos may not have screamed as much in GoW as he did in the sequels, but he was as one dimensional there as the other games. The plot having the format of an incomplete classic greek tragedy doesn't lend his character any more depth than he otherwise had.

MaxHouse

Banned
I still don't understand why people refer to it as a tragedy. The ending of the game has him ascend to Godhood in addition to having his sins forgiven, just not forgotten.

He got more than what he asked for in return, and I am thoroughly unconvinced that Kratos wouldn't have gotten over the deaths of his family if he had ultimate power as a god. The guy was a complete sociopath and never even tried to atone for his crimes. What he specifically wanted was for his nightmares and guilt to leave him, which is different from atonement. I mean, he had a blank check from the gods, he could have asked that the Gods bring back his wife and kid or atleast ensure they live in Elysium, but he was concerned with alleviating his own pain. I have difficulty believing a guy like Kratos wouldn't just start reveling in his own power and it seems unbelievable to me that human nightmares would have any great power over the mind of a God, so I just don't think Athena's promise was as unfulfilled as the game would have us believe, if we're going by the first game alone. All it meant is that Athena herself couldn't directly magic his nightmares away.

Kratos may not have screamed as much in GoW as he did in the sequels, but he was as one dimensional there as the other games. The plot having the format of an incomplete classic greek tragedy doesn't lend his character any more depth than he otherwise had.
again not every character in every game has to have depth or be multi layered...kratos "one dimensional character" perfectly fitted the game

Veelk

Banned
again not every character in every game has to have depth or be multi layered...kratos "one dimensional character" perfectly fitted the game

I was replying to a post that claimed he had more, which is a notion I disagree with, so my refutation of it is pretty appropriate.

And I've personally never heard the complaint "This character is too nuanced and well written, this game deserved a shitty ass excuse of a character!" Hell, every defender of the new GoW is praising the developers for calming Kratos down and making it a point to try to give some depth to his rage complex by having him resist it. "it fitted the game" doesn't seem like a viable defense when the current game is moving beyond that.

MaxHouse

Banned
I was replying to a post that claimed he had more, which is a notion I disagree with, so my refutation of it is pretty appropriate.

And I've personally never heard the complaint "This character is too nuanced and well written, this game deserved a shitty ass excuse of a character!" Hell, every defender of the new GoW is praising the developers for calming Kratos down and making it a point to try to give some depth to his rage complex by having him resist it. "it fitted the game" doesn't seem like a viable defense when the current game is moving beyond that.

thats not what I meant...I mean not every developer is trying to make their protagonist "multi layered" they made Kratos and created him around the bombasticness of the original God of War..

Corpsepyre

Banned

What do you think of the new game/reveal?

tskeeve

Well, I'd say most disagree with you. After 6 games of the same shit, most of us are breathing a sigh of relief that Kratos is being written with some added complexity. Otherwise I would've preferred a new character. Raging Kratos is such a tired portrayal at this point. In fact, I'd argue that the whole "raging anti-hero" trend of the mid-to-late 2000s is done now. About time God of War moved on from it too.

Veelk

Banned
What do you think of the new game/reveal?

In terms of story?

Well, first off, you should know that I have loathed the idiot shitstain protagonisting this series since I played the first game a few days after release, and my hate boner for his dipshit ass has only grown over the years. However, my problem with Kratos is not what people typically point out. "He's such an terrible person!" So what? I love plenty of fictional characters that I would consider terrible people, including within this very medium. After a lot of reflection, it's that ever since the first game, the writers of the series have a biased narrative playing out in Kratos' head, and then a very different one in the actual game, but more often than not, the narrative seems to go with what Kratos believes happened vs what actually happened, and often the fanbase goes with that. That is the short version, and I have a lot of example and arguments for this, and a lot more problems with the writing than this besides, but I don't want to make this an overly long post, so lets say my problems with Kratos' story boil down to that core issue. That Kratos makes up this persecution complex and the story seems to go with it despite things obviously happening otherwise.

In light of the reveal, the persecution complex things haven't happened yet, but I already see the seeds of it there. However, the narrative contrivances that are made to provoke his anger are already there. When you break down the hunt of the deer, it makes very little sense, but the part of note is that it when the boy looses an arrow and misses, Kratos yells angrily that now it will be on it's guard. But he's wrong. Literally three minutes later, the Deer is calmly chewing on some grass not 50 feet away from the giant and remarkably loud troll battle that happened.

Now, lets back up and admit that this is one really dumb ass fucking deer. The boy's yelling when he found the tracks didn't scare it off, it wasn't scared off when it literally ran into the boy except to run away a few feet, and then somehow didn't run away from the booming sounds of giant troll battle literally shattering the ice river, thinking it was safe it because it lightly jogged a couple feet. Maybe this deer was the equivelent of Alan Wake and can't run for more than 5 seconds without having to catch his breathe. Regardless, it's a miracle this fucking thing didn't die from walking itself into a cave and putting its neck inside some bears jaws before Kratos ever got hungry. Natural selection got lazy I guess

But of all the comments I read on the game and with how the narrative is depicting him as the learned hunter who is passing on his wisdom onto his child, no one seems to have pointed out that, by the evidence of the game's events themselves, Kratos is an ignorant shit whose one of the two pieces of advice to his kid was dead fucking wrong. The other piece was "think of the deer as a target". Yeah, thanks Kratos, where would your kid be without having to have it pointed out to him that a deer is a target. But that would mean we have to acknowledge Kratos as incompetent, and if there's one thing we can't have, it's that.

Part of this is just bad writing, where characters say one thing, but another is depicted. I point to the aforementioned deer as an example but also, the boy says that he's been 'taught' to hunt, but not only has he not killed anything yet (how does that work, exactly? I'm not hunter myself, but I would imagine that the importance of desensitizing their understudy from making the actual kill is tantamount. How do you have any hope of them actually doing it themselves otherwise?) even though he only sees track marks that are dead fucking obvious and then yells them out loudly, which should have alerted any normal deer to him and sent them running. The narrative wants me to believe the boy is skilled, but tender to the harsh ways of life, but he's depicted as just stupid hunting an event stupider deer.

But bad writing or not, if we're already getting issues where the telling isn't congruent with the showing, then I imagine the persecution complex Kratos is known for is not that far behind. And I can't wait to see people buying into Kratos' false narrative again when he willingly makes some kind of deal with whatever asshole god, and then oversteps his bounds in some way, and then gets mad when the god decides to slap his shit down over it.

But in terms of gameplay?

The story beats were part for course for a GoW game, even if the content was not. This, however? Huge change, and not for the better. People have been worried about the epic moments and there was even a thread made to alleviation people's fears that theyll be there. Personally, I never doubted it. If anything, the third person camera will make it easier for those moments to happen. My problem is what this will do to the normal gameplay.

While I never thought much of the gameplay of 1 or 2, I was actually somewhat impressed with it in 3. You have 4 universally viable weapons with unique movesets and items you could use at any time. While not NG/DMC/Bayo tier, they were much better suited for a combat system than the previous two games, and I was looking forward to seeing how they built on it. Maybe the weapons would be even more distinct from one another!

Nope, over the shoulder third person camera, slowed down movements, and frankly strange adjustments to the combat system to include things like manually aimed projectiles. Again, there wasn't enough shown to make any certain sweeping generalizations about it, but it figures that once they finally stepped into the right direction with the combat system, they'd say 'fuck it' and go do something else.

Graphics? Music? Presentation?

All obviously fantastic. Production values is one thing I always happily give God of War props for. All the games are beauiful, mostly well paced, environmentally intriguing, with a killer soundtrack. I really enjoy the norse rendition of the theme.

Anything else?

Who in the hell named this "God of War" and nothing else?! Not even a subtitle?! Guys, it's not a reboot, they've been crystal clear about that, so it should not have the same name as the first game! There are very, very few cases where this naming convention is actually justified, but here? No...NO! Not at all! This isn't some ancient relic franchise being resurrected from the dead like Doom! God, fuck it, cancel it, burn it, burn it all to the ground!

MaxHouse

Banned
In terms of story?

Well, first off, you should know that I have loathed the idiot shitstain protagonisting this series since I played the first game a few days after release, and my hate boner for his dipshit ass has only grown over the years. However, my problem with Kratos is not what people typically point out. "He's such an terrible person!" So what? I love plenty of fictional characters that I would consider terrible people, including within this very medium. After a lot of reflection, it's that ever since the first game, the writers of the series have a biased narrative playing out in Kratos' head, and then a very different one in the actual game, but more often than not, the narrative seems to go with what Kratos believes happened vs what actually happened, and often the fanbase goes with that. That is the short version, and I have a lot of example and arguments for this, and a lot more problems with the writing than this besides, but I don't want to make this an overly long post, so lets say my problems with Kratos' story boil down to that core issue. That Kratos makes up this persecution complex and the story seems to go with it despite things obviously happening otherwise.

In light of the reveal, the persecution complex things haven't happened yet, but I already see the seeds of it there. However, the narrative contrivances that are made to provoke his anger are already there. When you break down the hunt of the deer, it makes very little sense, but the part of note is that it when the boy looses an arrow and misses, Kratos yells angrily that now it will be on it's guard. But he's wrong. Literally three minutes later, the Deer is calmly chewing on some grass not 50 feet away from the giant and remarkably loud troll battle that happened.

Now, lets back up and admit that this is one really dumb ass fucking deer. The boy's yelling when he found the tracks didn't scare it off, it wasn't scared off when it literally ran into the boy except to run away a few feet, and then somehow didn't run away from the booming sounds of giant troll battle literally shattering the ice river, thinking it was safe it because it lightly jogged a couple feet. Maybe this deer was the equivelent of Alan Wake and can't run for more than 5 seconds without having to catch his breathe. Regardless, it's a miracle this fucking thing didn't die from walking itself into a cave and putting its neck inside some bears jaws before Kratos ever got hungry. Natural selection got lazy I guess

But of all the comments I read on the game and with how the narrative is depicting him as the learned hunter who is passing on his wisdom onto his child, no one seems to have pointed out that, by the evidence of the game's events themselves, Kratos is an ignorant shit whose one of the two pieces of advice to his kid was dead fucking wrong. The other piece was "think of the deer as a target". Yeah, thanks Kratos, where would your kid be without having to have it pointed out to him that a deer is a target. But that would mean we have to acknowledge Kratos as incompetent, and if there's one thing we can't have, it's that.

Part of this is just bad writing, where characters say one thing, but another is depicted. I point to the aforementioned deer as an example but also, the boy says that he's been 'taught' to hunt, but not only has he not killed anything yet (how does that work, exactly? I'm not hunter myself, but I would imagine that the importance of desensitizing their understudy from making the actual kill is tantamount. How do you have any hope of them actually doing it themselves otherwise?) even though he only sees track marks that are dead fucking obvious and then yells them out loudly, which should have alerted any normal deer to him and sent them running. The narrative wants me to believe the boy is skilled, but tender to the harsh ways of life, but he's depicted as just stupid hunting an event stupider deer.

But bad writing or not, if we're already getting issues where the telling isn't congruent with the showing, then I imagine the persecution complex Kratos is known for is not that far behind. And I can't wait to see people buying into Kratos' false narrative again when he willingly makes some kind of deal with whatever asshole god, and then oversteps his bounds in some way, and then gets mad when the god decides to slap his shit down over it.

The story beats were part for course for a GoW game, even if the content was not. This, however? Huge change, and not for the better. People have been worried about the epic moments and there was even a thread made to alleviation people's fears that theyll be there. Personally, I never doubted it. If anything, the third person camera will make it easier for those moments to happen. My problem is what this will do to the normal gameplay.

While I never thought much of the gameplay of 1 or 2, I was actually somewhat impressed with it in 3. You have 4 universally viable weapons with unique movesets and items you could use at any time. While not NG/DMC/Bayo tier, they were much better suited for a combat system than the previous two games, and I was looking forward to seeing how they built on it. Maybe the weapons would be even more distinct from one another!

Nope, over the shoulder third person camera, slowed down movements, and frankly strange adjustments to the combat system to include things like manually aimed projectiles. Again, there wasn't enough shown to make any certain sweeping generalizations about it, but it figures that once they finally stepped into the right direction with the combat system, they'd say 'fuck it' and go do something else.

All obviously fantastic. Production values is one thing I always happily give God of War props for. All the games are beauiful, mostly well paced, environmentally intriguing, with a killer soundtrack. I really enjoy the norse rendition of the theme.

Anything else?

Who in the hell named this "God of War" and nothing else?! Not even a subtitle?! Guys, it's not a reboot, they've been crystal clear about that, so it should not have the same name as the first game! There are very, very few cases where this naming convention is actually justified, but here? No...NO! Not at all! This isn't some ancient relic franchise being resurrected from the dead like Doom! God, fuck it, cancel it, burn it, burn it all to the ground!
This seems like your over analyzing things. Kratos had trouble connecting with his son that's all

Corpsepyre

Banned
In terms of story?

Anything else?

I know and have read your older posts about the series, which is why I asked. Your hate for the series and Kratos is downright comedic at this point, but it's always intriguing to read what you think for some reason.

Also, I'm fine with there not being any subtitle. Everything has a fucking subtitle these days. SOMETHING: REDEMPTION. SOMETHING: ASCENSION. Fuck that. It's God of War. That's it. Move on.

Veelk

Banned
I know and have read your older posts about the series, which is why I asked. Your hate for the series and Kratos is downright comedic at this point, but it's always intriguing to read what you think for some reason.

Well, that's why I made my post out to be amusing to read. I know my hatred for GoW is pretty over the top. It's genuine, but that's no reason not to have fun with it. And it makes it fun to read, even for GoW fans like yourself :)

All I can say to semirationally explain it is that hatred is not the opposite of love. Indifference is. It is the abject lack of passion. I have a lot of passion for GoW. It's just pretty negative.

Also, I'm fine with there not being any subtitle. Everything has a fucking subtitle these days. SOMETHING: REDEMPTION. SOMETHING: ASCENSION. Fuck that. It's God of War. That's it. Move on.
That you can't credit the team of thinking of something better than Redemption or Ascension doesn't show a lot of regard for the teams creative ability. We can't think of a non-generic title because we don't know the full extent of the story, but the devs should.

Alternatively, it could just be something cool sounding. The PSP games were called Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, right? So "Twilight of the Gods" would have been been setting appropriate and thematically appropriate. Hell, that could have been the series new name.

Nere

IMO with this game they have went so far from the formula I don't even recognize it as God of War. It is one thing to renovate and evolve a game and another thing to change everything so it has nothing in common with the previous games.

YoodlePro

hG7FDtJ.gif

I am going to use this so much

SolomonGrundy

Neo Member
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a reveal later on for a subtitle.

My problem with the franchise remains GoW:2. The plot holes in that game I feel have been many and long lasting. I'm hoping this entry can take a long step away from them after having them put to rest.

From a narrative standpoint 1 was the best so far, I know others have asked why it's considered Greek Tragedyesque when he's made a God afterwards. To me it was a classic bait and switch. He gets supreme power which is what he wanted when he was a Spartan General, running the wars and conquering lands. However, after losing his family his priorities changed and that wasn't him.

He got what we wanted, only after he lost the one thing that meant more to him. He was just too arrogant and distracted to realise this.

This however is tainted with how easy it is to come and go out of Hades and Tartarus. He honestly could have probably just gone and visited them in the underworld or something who knows. It's just one of those things we're forced to accept to make any of it work at all.

Above any additions or subtractions to the control formula or camerawork etc... I'm hoping for a return to a hard hitting, dramatic story where the gore has genuine motivation behind it. The best part of GoW:3 for me was the fact that Kratos was allowed to care again, even if just a bit in relation to Pandora. The wholesale slaughter of Gods was muted heavily in my caring (though the spectacle was great) because the story has been struggling to keep Kratos as any semblance of a hero.

SomTervo

Wow.

I just hope they don't lose the power of the set pieces and combat with a shoulder-fixed camera. Hopefully it still pulls away to classic God of War cam sometimes.

Edit: oh. Six month bump. Lol.

Black_Red

Edit: Welp, I thought the focus on RPG elements were new news.

I wasnt a big fan of god of war, but it's still sad to see a big "hack and slash" franchise leaving the genre.

I really really don't want crafting in GoW. I'm mostly cool with all the other direction changes, but the last thing I want to do in a GoW game is spend time in the inventory screen.

EDIT: The fuck is this bump? I was wondering why the info didn't seem so new lol.

BigEmil

No load screens means longer death screen loading and longer first initial continue mission from main menu

Voke

Banned
The God of War trilogy is one of my favorites. Then Ascension came out and I thought the series needed to be put to rest. Now I'm more excited than ever for a new game. This direction their taking sounds awesome.

Above any additions or subtractions to the control formula or camerawork etc... I'm hoping for a return to a hard hitting, dramatic story where the gore has genuine motivation behind it. The best part of GoW:3 for me was the fact that Kratos was allowed to care again, even if just a bit in relation to Pandora. The wholesale slaughter of Gods was muted heavily in my caring (though the spectacle was great) because the story has been struggling to keep Kratos as any semblance of a hero.

Really? It felt like Kratos didn't care at all in 3. It was basically a revenge story. Kratos murdering all the gods by any means necessary and not caring if he destroyed the world to do it.

Gradly

I'm curious and wondering if the game is presented in one uninterrupted shot, how are they gonna introduce different locations from around the world?! It sounds cool but gonna see how well it is implemented though

Elandyll

Banned
Never played a God of War before, and the gory and "bro" hack and slash never really interested me... but so far everything they've presented about this new iteration appeals to me.

What a time ...

edit: oh It's a necro? Never saw that thread before. Good read. :)

Just focus on combat and puzzles please, aka the best parts of GOW. Platforming and crafting have never been that great in this series but thankfully they havent been obtrusive. Crafting/treasure chests are cool for incentivising exploration but I dont want to be spending a lot of time in menus with a GOW game.

Artdayne

People seem to forget that the first God of War was actually praised for its story too, and was a pretty good example of a classic Greek tragic hero done for modern times. God of War 2 and 3 were the games that turned Kratos into a psycho one-dimensional "character".

100% on point. God of War was a character action game with a main character that was interesting to me. The first game did a great job explaining the motivations of Kratos.

jayu26

Never played a God of War before, and the gory and "bro" hack and slash never really interested me... but so far everything they've presented about this new iteration appeals to me.
I don't know what you are talking about. Kratos is liable to stick his blades through face of anyone who tried to "bro" it up with him. He has always been a brooding loner rather than Gears "bro" bro.

Top Bottom