• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods of Egypt |OT| Only Whores Can Save Us Feat. White People

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

gods-of-egypt-56768fbd023df.jpg

Release Date: February 26th 2016
Length: 127 mins
Studio: Summit Entertainment
Distributor: Katniss Everdeen
Director: Alex Proyas
Genres: High fantasy, action adventure, insecure white people
Filming location: Australia

In this spectacular action-adventure inspired by the classic mythology of Egypt, the survival of mankind hangs in the balance as an unexpected mortal hero Bek undertakes a thrilling journey to save the world and rescue his true love. In order to succeed, he must enlist the help of the powerful god Horus in an unlikely alliance against Set, the merciless god of darkness, who has usurped Egypt's throne, plunging the once peaceful and prosperous empire into chaos and conflict. As their breathtaking battle against Set and his henchmen takes them into the afterlife and across the heavens, both god and mortal must pass tests of courage and sacrifice if they hope to prevail in the epic final confrontation.

This Is Sparta as Set (GOD OF THE DESERT) - Set, the merciless God of the Desert, has stolen the throne from Horus, plunging Egypt into darkness. Having stolen Horus' eyes, Set looks to grow his power even further, to rule all of the world and underworld.

Jamie Lanister as Horus (GOD OF THE SKY) - As the rightful heir to the throne of Egypt, Horus has his power forcefully taken from him by Set. Blinded during an aggressive fight for power, Horus must find his most prized possession and reclaim the throne to save Egypt from destruction.

White Male Model as Bek (THIEF OF LEGEND) - When the mortal hero Bek loses his true love, Zaya, he must team up with Horus to undertake a thrilling journey to save the world and, in turn, restore the love once taken from him.

Black Panther as Thoth (GOD OF WISDOM) - Thoth is the wisest of all the gods of Egypt. Horus and Bek must seek his council on the path to restore Egypt to a time of peace

Elektra as Hathor (GODDESS OF LOVE) - Hathor's mystifying presence makes her the desire of all creatures, including the gods. Her powers are put to the test as she must choose between living by Set's rule or fighting to protect true love.

Mad Max Girl as Zaya (BEAUTY OF THE NILE) - In a twist of fate, Zaya finds herself separated from her one true love, Bek. She must trust that the unlikely partnership of Bek and Horus will restore peace to Egypt and, in turn, return the love of her life

Anz4ncH.gif

Box-Office Prediction: "If Lionsgate dreamed of replacing “Hunger Games” with “Gods of Egypt,” the company better keep searching for another way to fill the gap left by Katniss Everdeen.

The $140 million production is staring down the barrel of a $15 million domestic opening, a paltry start for a film with such a big price tag. “This is on target to be one of the biggest box office belly flops of 2016,” said Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations.

The production was embroiled in controversy for tapping white actors to play Egyptian characters, leading Proyas to apologize for not employing a more diverse group of performers" - Variety

Reviews: "Rarely has a film's determination to distract viewers with the sleekness and shine of its imagery been mirrored so obviously in its story" - Screen Daily

"Not only does the film indulge in a right royal round of whitewashing, it also gives star Gerard Butler a brownface" - Daily Review

"Gods Of Egypt offers a frequently spectacular, light, and knowingly silly good time." - Film Ink

"‘Gods of Egypt’ is an unholy, unnecessarily whitewashed mess" - NY Daily News

"‘After a point, this proudly silly film about gods and mortals in ancient Egypt devolves into an sword-and-sorcery-flavored riff on a weak Marvel movie" - Roger Ebert

"Overstocked, overstuffed and overlong, "Gods of Egypt" packs a squadron of immediately forgettable mythological deities into 127 inefficient minutes" - Star Tribune

"At the risk of having to turn in my Social Justice Warrior card, I inexplicably dug the heck out of Alex Proyas’s gonzo Gods of Egypt. Please forgive me." - Forbes

hOC7RWy.png

WHO'S EXCITED?

23qwerty

lord almighty this looks awful

can't believe how many times i saw the trailer for this before the movie at the theatres

vinnygambini

Is that movie that spent a ton of money on their trailer?

Yup, $10 million Superbowl ad. Money well spent as the film is projected to open between $12-15M OW - that's possibly $2-5M of profit already amirite?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
watch it being heralded as "guys I've seen it, it wasn't as bad as it seemed to be, good mindless fun"

vinnygambini

How much did the actual movie cost to make? Lol

$140 million production cost as per the OP ;)

Lionsgate has however pre-sold international rights so their productions costs are at less than $10M; once you add P&A expenses, it'll crawl to about $50M give or take.

lmao at that clip, good god. he really is playing thot(h) in this movie. this looks so schlocky. i will probably check it out on netflix a year from now.

What slightly baffles me is just how... generic, it looks.

Like, its got that same idea of doing gods as sleek, sort of sci-fi sort of magic warriors that Thor has, mixed with what people tend to think of ancient Egypt because that's how they've seen it in other Hollywood movies. And that doesn't work for me.

norog

They need to CG some garbage animal heads onto half the cast. The only way to improve this is to make it way way worse.

bigkrev

I love crappy PG-13 fantasy movies, so I will be seeing this.

That over 2 hour long run time has me worried though.

Judging only from the two trailers I just watched (so I could be wrong), it looks like the only people of color in the cast are all bad guys, and of course the protagonists all appear to be white...

I hate when our media does this.

It's one of those movies you watch a trailer and you just know in your heart "boy, is this gonna be some piece of trash or what". And that's even without addressing the white washing.

Skux

Looks like a terrible Transformers/Animorphs mash-up. The Flash has better effects and it's a TV show.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're telling me there is a person named "Chadwick Boseman?"

Savitar

I got nothing better else to do this weekend so I may see it. I grew up with Charlton Heston as Moses so I'm sure I can deal with some more white people acting.

Spinluck

Looks like a terrible Transformers/Animorphs mash-up. The Flash has better effects and it's a TV show.

140 million dollar budget bro, gotta wow people with that spectacle!!

I feel like only superhero films and established franchises that haven't lost any steam can get away with inflated budgets. And I say inflated because I'm not seeing anything visually impressive in the footage.

vinnygambini

I'm planning to. Just need to figure out how to sell this to friends without getting backlash when it turns out to be the turd I know it will be!

Tell them to support Gods of Egypt as this film will feature the most black people on screen™ than all other Hollywood films combined in 2016! Do your part.

Sincerely,

Lionsgate Marketing Team

My favourite thing about this movie is the print ads, which focus entirely on the CGI to try make people forget that the movie tried to pretend Egyptians were all Whitey McWhitewhite

duckroll

The more I see of this movie, the more I am convinced that if Tsui Hark ever made it to Hollywood, this is what he would have been proud to direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom