• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods of Egypt |OT| Only Whores Can Save Us Feat. White People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Alex Proyas speaks about the critics via a FB post:
NOTHING CONFIRMS RAMPANT STUPIDITY FASTER...
Than reading reviews of my own movies. I usually try to avoid the experience - but this one takes the cake. Often, to my great amusement, a critic will mention my past films in glowing terms, when at the time those same films were savaged, as if to highlight the critic's flawed belief of my descent into mediocrity. You see, my dear fellow FBookers, I have never gotten great reviews… on any movie I’ve made really, apart from those by reviewers who think for themselves and make up their own opinions. Sadly those type of reviewers are nearly all dead. I guess I have the knack of rubbing reviewers the wrong way - always have. This time of course they have bigger axes to grind - they can rip into my movie while trying to make their mainly pale asses look so politically correct by screaming "white-wash!!!” like the deranged idiots they all are. They fail to understand, or chose to pretend to not understand what this movie is, so as to serve some bizarre consensus of opinion which has nothing to do with the movie at all. That’s ok, this modern age of texting will probably make them go the way of the dinosaur or the newspaper shortly - don't movie-goers text their friends with what they thought of a movie? Seems most critics spend their time trying to work out what most people will want to hear. How do you do that? Why these days it is so easy... just surf the net to read other reviews or what bloggers are saying - no matter how misguided an opinion of a movie might be before it actually comes out. Lock a critic in a room with a movie no one has even seen and they will not know what to make of it. Because contrary to what a critic should probably be they have no personal taste or opinion, because they are basing their views on the status quo. None of them are brave enough to say “well I like it” if it goes against consensus. Therefore they are less than worthless. Now that anyone can post their opinion about anything from a movie to a pair of shoes to a hamburger, what value do they have - nothing. Roger Ebert wasn’t bad. He was a true film lover at least, a failed film-maker, which gave him a great deal of insight. His passion for film was contagious and he shared this with his fans. He loved films and his contribution to cinema as a result was positive. Now we have a pack of diseased vultures pecking at the bones of a dying carcass. Trying to peck to the rhythm of the consensus. I applaud any film-goer who values their own opinion enough to not base it on what the pack-mentality say is good or bad.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010704046009&fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Holy shit Alex Proyas is an asshole.

RrMuebB.png

qtUE776.png
This is adorable. I was expecting Proyas to clam up, but it seems like he actually believes this movie is hot shit.

G-Fex

I think both Maleficent and Gods of Egypt are pretty similar films, at least on my "bad films" spectrum. They are both films with ideas I was interested in, and visual design which made me go watch it. They both have somewhat entertaining portions, but overall are poorly put together and wildly miss the mark of their potential. The biggest difference between the two though, is that Maleficent had amazing casting, while Gods of Egypt was a joke. And of course one has Sleeping Beauty brand power behind it, so it didn't bomb!

Don't Disney fanboys and tumblr nerds defend Maleficent though?

Corpekata

Banned

This'll have reddit fans that go to see it to defy the people that complained about white washing.

Can already see it there where they are reacting to Proyas' meltdown a lot different than here.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Maleficent could of been a great film, but the pacing and script were a huge turn-off for me.

Can't comment on Gods of Egypt yet though as I haven't seen it yet, will do so Tuesday.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jesus at that meltdown. Don't worry man, I'm sure there's still a dozen or so people who still think Dark City is better than the Matrix.

Dude hasn't made a decent movie since 1998, him making a turd is not a surprise after crap like I Robot.

televator

$140,000,000

You could feed all the hungry, or save an endangered species, or help Flint Michigan rebuild it's water infrasctructure.

Nope, we have to have a mediocre interpretation of "Beast Wars: Egyptian God Transformers, put on your shades cuz it's going to be the biggest white wash you've in your life, and for some fucking reason everyone has Brittish accents."

ONE-HUNDRED AND FORTY-MILLION DOLLARS

Toxi

Banned
$140,000,000

You could feed all the hungry, or save an endangered species, or help Flint Michigan rebuild it's water infrasctructure.

Nope, we have to have a mediocre interpretation of "Beast Wars: Egyptian God Transformers, put on your shades cuz it's going to be the biggest white wash you've in your life, and for some fucking reason everyone has Brittish accents."

ONE-HUNDRED AND FORTY-MILLION DOLLARS
Why y'all gotta be insulting Beast Wars by comparing it to Gods of Egypt

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I have finally watched the film, it was a train wreck, though at times visually compelling, the editing, awkward camera work and lack of polished script detracts from the viewing experience.

The world is beautiful and there is a lot to build on, but man except seeing the beautiful Brenton Thwaites on the big screen, I suggest a Netflix viewing for those interested.

On a side note, I do hope we see more of this world (China will save it!) as the material is there, just needs to be better executed.

Paganmoon

How did this movie do worldwide so far?

Not too good I think. Was trying to check how it did over here, and from what I gathered, after getting a delayed premiere in Sweden (1st of April), it got completely pulled from all theaters. Not sure it was even shown once.

I saw this a while ago. It wasn't that bad, I mean, it was terrible, hamfisted, cringeworthy acting but it was also hilarious :>

I would even go as far as to call it 'fine' with some great schlock in this otherwise almost '80s adventure movie. It's a shame that Royas got baited into responding to white washing instead of calming down and explaining that it's not supposed to be real Egypt to begin with. More like Annunaki myth (which I suspect few people are familiar with) mixed with Egyptian lore turned into adventure / love story. Which means you don't need ethnic actors at all, because (western culture style) fairy tale.

You would almost think Lionsgate wanted this movie to fail on account of a tax scheme or something. I mean, you don't pay ten million to put a trailer at the superbowl and put up an incompetently cut trailer. Don't get me wrong, we're talking about a movie written by the guys who wrote Dracula Untold and The Last Witch Hunter, both epic failures of their own, so it was never going to be 'good'. But at some point I started to 'get' what at least Royas had wanted to get out of it (using the afterlife as a way to create the man vs god plot, which could have been genuinely interesting), and it became fun for me to watch, in a 'great schlock clusterfuck' kind of way.
And by that I mean that I was wondering while watching it if this could be the true heir to Battlefield Earth. Sadly, the movie had at least some competent character moments and lacked a friendly bartender. It does have some really obnoxious editing though, that draws attention to itself in all the wrong ways. Still better scene order editing than Batman v. Superman though.YES! I found something nice to say about this movie, ha!

edit:

As fun as that vicious remark about vultures from Kermode is, I subscribe more to James King's review on it.

GhaleonEB

Bumping this thread because the film is released in the UK today. Mark Kermode did a blog about it. He didn't like it very much...
That ending bit about vultures was savage. Hilarious.

I saw this a while ago. It wasn't that bad, I mean, it was terrible, hamfisted, cringeworthy acting but it was also hilarious :>
Yeah. It's terrible in almost every way, but in a way that manages to make it kind of fun. It helped that it wasn't dark a brooding constantly. It's got color, characters who laugh, attempts at jokes, and just enough hints at self-awareness to forgive some of the more absurd excesses.

Not so bad it's good territory, but more, so bad it's entertaining.

Jackpot

Banned
I would never try to defend any aspect of God's of Egypt, but I loved it. It's an enormous, silly fiasco.

The visuals of Ra and Apophis battling over the world were great. Any time humans were on screen and it felt like The Scorpion King.

I did like how the evil architect wasn't the stereotypical sniveling suck-up henchman. He was smart, wasn't afraid to get his hand dirty and actually had some depth.

^

agree with all y'all <3

i really enjoyed it for what it was. the jokes were throwback to older, 80s type of humour and the dialog between the characters was coy and corny and nostalgic

the only drawback i didn't quite gel with was Bek and Zaya, the rest of the movie was actually enjoyable hilarity :>

Ahasverus

In an age where supposedly movies need to be "fun" to be good, this should have been better recieved. Fun AF. The egyptian mythology was very refreshing. See it everyone!

Rymuth

Ltt[p but it was a smashing movie, just smashing. All around hilarity from start to finish.
Bek's actor was completely out of his depth but Jamie Lannister knew exactly what kind of movie this was and seemed to be having such a grand time.

Really hope they do a Rifftrax for it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Saw a bit of it, but had to turn it off. What a stupendous failure.

Also timely since a How Did This Get Made? just posted an episode on this.

Yo this movie was fucking great!

This was truly an Anime.

I'm not gon lie, i thought the same thing about it being an Anime while watching it . Holy Shit is it wild, it's so out there I'm shocked he was given 140 million dollars to make this come true.

The Egyptian setting was inconsequential, and could've been set anywhere to avoid controversy. It appears it was only used for cool aesthetic purposes from the iconography to architecture.

Not

Banned
I got super drunk, watched this, laughed, still hated it, listened to first part of HDTGM, passed out, listened to the rest during a car ride while sober

That's my experience

20cent

Banned
Thank God I missed the drama around this movie, randomly watched it tonight and I had a good time. Best Final Fantasy movie for what it worth.

G-Fex

I watched some of it. Holy shit the main characters are so fucking annoying. The guy and the girl. I really wish they died off but of course not. Like some of the worst unlikable characters ever in a while.

Just watched it via HBO. It was dumb but it was fun.

Lots of controversy over nothing. Congrats internet.

By "lots of controversy" you mean ridicule and almost no controversy over a shit movie that came and went so fast that it was a little over a year from your bump that anyone gave enough of a shit about it to let a thought slip out in textual form, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom