• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gold Saucer opens in Final Fantasy XIV: Chocobo Racing, Triple Triad, & more.

Rising_Hei

I wonder if Triple Triad might even become an e sport, lol.
I must not sub back... i must not... i am living a healthy life again, triple triad can destroy such a thing... -_-!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jhEnm3n.jpg

LOL

Been playing ARR since the beta, and I just want to say, there's never a bad time for new players to join up. You can play at your own pace, and since launch they've added various ways (like the roulettes and challenge logs) to make it way easier to catch up and/or level alt classes.

I've been playing heavily lately, and I see people with the sprout icon (indicating a new player) running around all the time!

Einhander

My character is at 50, beat the main story, but - despite not having done it - the Crystal Tower sounded overwhelming and nerve-wracking. When you have a group of 24 players or whatever, the chance of people being angry at you for messing up intensifies. That's what's stopping me from trying the Gold Saucer. I still have a big problem in doing instanced dungeons with PUGs.

My character is at 50, beat the main story, but - despite not having done it - the Crystal Tower sounded overwhelming and nerve-wracking. When you have a group of 24 players or whatever, the chance of people being angry at you for messing up intensifies.

It's actually the opposite of that. With a small group, everyone's individual contribution (or lack thereof) is obvious. The larger the group, especially when the content has been out for a while and everyone else is on autopilot, the easier it is to just muddle through without anybody even taking notice of how good or bad you are. At least as a DPS anyway.

In any case though, the community is great. Generally, if you admit that you're new and ask what you're supposed to do, people will tell you and it's not a big deal.

My character is at 50, beat the main story, but - despite not having done it - the Crystal Tower sounded overwhelming and nerve-wracking. When you have a group of 24 players or whatever, the chance of people being angry at you for messing up intensifies. That's what's stopping me from trying the Gold Saucer. I still have a big problem in doing instanced dungeons with PUGs.

NO it's alright .. Crystal tower is damn fine if you just go with the flow ... ( unless you're a tank or something ). Just state that it's your first time and the team will adapt unless they are total morons.

Einhander

That's the thing, my 50 is a tank. :p On top of it, you have to remember the strategy for every boss in CT. There are more bosses in CT than a traditional dungeon.

Well, in that case, yeah. :p Try leveling a DPS class instead. I generally stick with DPS, my Paladin is up to 35 or so but at a certain point tanking dungeons becomes a lot of pressure.

Einhander

You're right. I think that's a great idea for me and anyone else who gets the jitters doing high stress dungeons or bosses. Stay with DPS. As a DPS, you just have to concentrate on wailing on mobs and bosses (and taking care of any adds during a boss fight). My 50 is a Paladin, specifically.

That's the thing, my 50 is a tank. :p On top of it, you have to remember the strategy for every boss in CT. There are more bosses in CT than a traditional dungeon.

in the CT you will usually have 1 main tank anyway so you can always tank the adds plus the stategies are pretty easy tbh

Scrawnton

Quick question about triple triad: can it be played with npc's outside of gold saucer, or does this mini game only exist in gold saucer?

DJIzana

Won the majority of GAF's first FC Chocobo Races last night! Years later from doing the Gold Saucer in FF7 and I still got it! :D

Unless you have to main tank, tanks have it very easy on CT and your role is very secondary or easy. You'll still need to know a few basic guidelines, but even if you screw up a decent team (alliance) should be able to manage.

Do it, CT has some very fun bosses.

Unless you have to main tank, tanks have it very easy on CT and your role is very secondary or easy. You'll still need to know a few basic guidelines, but even if you screw up a decent team (alliance) should be able to manage.

Do it, CT has some very fun bosses.

For me it's running with 23 other players and the sheer chaos of it. Organised chaos but chaos nonetheless.

Zee-Row

Banned
This is just too much awesome free content. I don't feel like I deserve this , this should be in a separate expansion.

zulfate

This is a really good mmorpg but I just can't see myself paying monthly at the moment. The content they have added to this game is incredible and fuck it plays well with comfy couch controller setup. The atmosphere is very final fantasy and I love it

AgeEighty

You can now choose carboncoat OR carbontwine from the CT weekly.

Fucking finally. At last my left column will have augmented pieces.

Got the PS3 version for cheap and did the PS4 upgrade, worked like a charm :) Well almost, I needed to stop the Yakuza 4 download on my PS3 or else the network connection was very unstable but I got it in the end :p Gold Saucer Remote Play here I come! :D

catbrush

On the first pull of my first CT run (WAR) I positioned a dragon in such a way that it wiped the raid with a tail swipe. "Can we get a real tank on the dragons?" For the most part though, as long as you stick with your party it's a pretty low-pressure affair.

Andrefpvs

You need to install the game on the hard drive which takes a while, iirc, but you don't have to actually patch no. You install, then it asks you to create an account or link to an existing account when you first launch, you link to your main account(same login/pass you use to log on PC) and after that it starts downloading, you can just turn it off, go to mogstation with any browser, there's an option to upgrade to PS4 that pops once you linked your PS3 game to your account, they give you another code, then you go to the store on your PS4 and enter the code there and it adds the game to your PS4, at which point you'll have to download the patches obviously to play on PS4.

Is it possible to do this process without activating the 30 days? I want to update my game to the PS4 version, but I don't have time to play right now.

Ralemont

not me

I also found CT much easier than the 8-man endgame fights/dungeons, though. Being a tank is always going to be stressful in either scenario.

Personally I enjoyed playing healer. You just have to keep the tank alive, and if DPS dies you can just blame it on them.

Mad1723

Alright, serious question: Is the game fun if you're more of a solo player? I don't have anyone that will follow me into an MMO, so I'm asking since most of my time will be spent questing alone or through LFG.

I am a bit of a MMORPG noob and I also have been looking for a while to buy this game. I got a bit of steam money from items in TF2, so I'd like to know if I should jump on it?

Thanks guys!

PS: Big FF fan, that helps a lot in the decision :p

Alright, serious question: Is the game fun if you're more of a solo player? I don't have anyone that will follow me into an MMO, so I'm asking since most of my time will be spent questing alone or through LFG.

I am a bit of a MMORPG noob and I also have been looking for a while to buy this game. I got a bit of steam money from items in TF2, so I'd like to know if I should jump on it?

Thanks guys!

PS: Big FF fan, that helps a lot in the decision :p

I play primarily solo and it's been fine I joined a free company (guild) and I do stuff with them sometimes but mostly I'm solo.

Scrawnton

No responded earlier. Anyone know if triple triad has npcs spread throughout the world you can play with like in ff8 or are they only in golden saucer?

Is it possible to do this process without activating the 30 days? I want to update my game to the PS4 version, but I don't have time to play right now.

As far as I could observe the 30 days start immediately as it basically activates your account :/

No responded earlier. Anyone know if triple triad has npcs spread throughout the world you can play with like in ff8 or are they only in golden saucer?

From what I heard there are quite a few NPCs outside Gold Saucer that you can battle.

Shamdeo

From what we know so far, a NPC will have two rules they may use and then there are rules that prevail in certain regions. How often that changes - we're still figuring that out!

Huh. I never thought about how perfect an idea it is to put Golden Saucer with previous FF mini games inside of it in the MMO. Pretty genius.

does this play well on PS4? Not graphics, but controls?

I'd say yes...after a while. I'm a fairly new player and there's a lot going on. The controller can handle it but it takes some time to get used to it. You may find it frustrating at first. I did. But stick with it and it becomes easier.

Shamdeo

Huh. I never thought about how perfect an idea it is to put Golden Saucer with previous FF mini games inside of it in the MMO. Pretty genius.

Chocobo races with a full party in voice chat has usually been hilarious. Being able to do some casual Triple Triad duels in downtime has been pretty cool too.

Top Bottom