• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun |OT| The Sun Rises Again! (Wii U VC)

Habieru

Neo Member
i think that its easy to understand me when i say that we have had many patience with nintendo and the eshop over the years, especially in europe with 50hz and more but...
if, in spain, the original golden sun on the game boy advance was in spanish...

WHY IS GOLDEN SUN ON THE ESHOP ONLY IN ENGLISH??.... nintendo, really...

(i just read that it was in english on a review)

EDIT: i can play a videogame in english like if it was in spanish, but not everyone can. I know that, depending on the quality of the spanish translation, its better to play the english translation if that one is better, but we are not even talking about that. When the game was released it was in spanish. Nintendo always releases its games in spanish, so i dont know what happened...

Also, what about the rest of europe?? Is the game in english there too, or can you play it in your language??

Yes, it is only available in English in the rest of Europe. The game wasn't MULTI5 back when it was originally released. Each country had its own cartridge and maybe Nintendo thought that emulating each ROM isn't worth it. Sadly, Golden Sun is not a major franchise... :(
ciertamente no ha sentado bien en España y van a perder bastantes ventas que tenían aseguradas...

ec0ec0

Yes, it is only available in English in the rest of Europe. The game wasn't MULTI5 back when it was originally released. Each country had its own cartridge and maybe Nintendo thought that emulating each ROM isn't worth it. Sadly, Golden Sun is not a major franchise... :(
ciertamente no ha sentado bien en España y van a perder bastantes ventas que tenían aseguradas...

So only english, thanks.

Nintendo siempre lo pone difícil... Mi hermano pequeño tiene ya edad de sobra para jugarlo y ya le he dicho varias veces que tiene que jugar a golden sun. El problema es que la manera más cómoda para que pueda jugar en español es, tristemente, que se lo descargue para el movil... pero no puedo dejarle hacer eso. Tampoco puede comprarlo para la 3ds, así que la única opción que me deja nintendo es comprarle el juego original para la game boy advance. No es que no tuviera pensado hacerlo, pero en el año 2014 debería ser más fácil que eso. Gracias nintendo :p

(que cómodo es no tener que escribir en inglés en gaf!!)

There are probably two dozen Y/N questions in the game within just a few hours of play, and not a single one ultimately affects the outcome or dialog tree. Hell, you get one within the first ten seconds of the game. The mother asks Isaac if he has everything he needs (Yes/No?), but if you select "no", she basically says "too bad, let's go".

What about that one that
prematurely ends the game
?

ec0ec0

looking at the classic spanish sites (that i never use :p) it seems that they have not talked about the language problem (the game is only in english) yet. They should do it soon. People loved golden sun.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think I liked this game more back when I first played it in 2003.

Stuff I still like:

-Music
-Sprite graphics
-Character design
-Elemental motif
-Djinn system allows for some neat customization
-Spell pool for each class is fun and interesting
-Dungeon design

Stuff I don't like as much:

-World building, outside of anything relating to alchemy or the four lighthouses. Most of the "in between" stuff isn't as interesting as I remember it being.
-Djinn collecting
-World map is much more bland than I remember
-Game seems much easier
-Certain plot points don't make much sense
Why did Saturos and Menardi save Felix? Why does Felix being with them assure Jenna and Kraden's safety at all?
-Looks worse on the Gamepad than it did on a GBA

Still enjoying it, though.

Zarovitch

I've start the game for the first time last Weekend.

I must have play around six hours, i'm not sure.
I just pass the Mecury Lighthouse

Graphics are ok, i imagine how good they must be on a GBA.
The story seem good.
I begin to understand what to do with the Djinn. I already got some.

I like that there's puzzle and secret, there's not many jrpg like that.
I never got bored with the game's even if it's on the easy side, for the moment.

I hope they'll release the second as well.

JaMarco

The main issues with Dark Dawn are that it relies far too heavily on previous plot points from Golden Sun 1 and 2, the cast of GS1 + 2 is extremely important to the story but you only ever see Isaac, Garet, Kraden, and
Alex
in person while the rest are relegated to encyclopedia entries, and the world has changed so much in so little time that not much is recognizable, and it feels a little jarring coming off of the ending of GS2. It also acts a lot like GS1 in that the entire game feels like it's building up to something instead of having something actually happen, but there's a lot less "oomph" to the story and it's harder to care about the plot and characters. It's not a bad game, but it's not nearly the gem its predecessors were.

I also don't know what the deal was with Felix getting totally shafted. His encyclopedia entry say that he went somewhere and was never seen again... I hope that leads up to something in GS4, if it ever gets made. Everyone else seems to have at least a residual presence in the game, but Felix just went completely AWOL. Isaac is also considered the leader of the Heroes of Vale, while Felix is considered his companion... didn't we play as Felix during the more important game?
Has there even been a mention anywhere from anyone about a GS4 being planned?

Lunar15

Hopefully they'll release the superior The Lost Age soon.

I actually replayed these recently and while their faults have become more apparent over time, I think the gameplay holds up and is still pretty addicting and fun. Had this just been a standard "cutscene to cutscene" JRPG, it wouldn't be remembered fondly, because none of the systems in it are that revolutionary aside from maybe the Djinn. However, they focused on some really great level design that draws from more puzzle focused games like Zelda. That's what makes it stand out.

I think 2 is the better game because it feels like there's more dungeons and there are a lot more interesting sidequests to go do. It has a little more padding than the first game, and the plot is non-existent for the first 3/4th's of it, but damn if it isn't addicting.

Dark Dawn was disappointing because they actually went backwards instead of forwards. They didn't really build on any of 1 or 2's systems at all, they just re-created it in a different engine. TLA was a fantastic sequel because it greatly expanded the world, added a lot more spells, and had a lot of really new and awesome looking summons. It was hard to follow that up.

That being said, I'm still hopeful for a sequel to DD, partially because we really only got half a game. There's a huge freakin cliffhanger at the end there and it's directly tied to the main plot of the game. DD's plot felt like a sidequest in a much larger mystery. Dark Dawn didn't iterate in the way it needed to, and I'd hope they could now move forward in a sequel. But the longer it takes them, the more I think they'll just fall back on what they know. A sequel looks doubtful, but the franchise is running on the fumes of nostalgia at this point, and I'd like to see it end definitively so that we can move on and just be happy with what we've been given.

I don't know if anyone else has been playing the game lately, but I finally beat the VC version tonight. I collected all of the Djinn and completed all of the side events I could think of (beating Crossbone Isle, finding all the stat boosting items and artifacts, etc.), and I had a wonderful time while I was at it.

The game is a lot shorter than I remember. It took me less than 15 hours to make it to the end, and I was only level 27 by the time I fought the final boss. In comparison, my original GBA game is at 95 hours with a level 57 party. (So that's ~120,000 EXP on my VC party and ~2,150,000 EXP on my GBA party!) I guess I spent a lot of time grinding levels while waiting for The Lost Age.

Hopefully the wait for TLA on the virtual console won't be so long that I feel like fighting for another two million experience again.

PuaAUBT.jpg

Finished Golden Sun, after spending many moons poring over what I wanted to transfer...

Overall impression - still as good as I remembered.

Some good points:
- Good graphics - the style is unique and holds up well. The particle effects are a personal favorite, and I would've liked to see this visual style in other games.
- Interface speed - Navigation in the game's various menus and options is super quick. Feels good executing a complex battle strategy within seconds, and speeding through a battle with B.
- Class system - Complex, yet simple if you don't want to mess with stuff. Individual djinn effects, summons, psynergy... all the little interactions between what you are and what you can do makes for fun battles. Only bad thing is that coming back from The Lost Age, I was missing the fact that that game is a superset of this game in terms of what you can do here.
- PUZZLES - I love psynergy puzzles. That is all. Give me more.
- This game is fairly alright in what it requires from you in terms of completion.
- Save anywhere, at any time. Yum.

Take it or leave it:
- Dialogue - I love it, but I can see how someone can dislike it. It is undeniable that there are some scenes of fair length in this game, though I didn't play with a stopwatch so I couldn't tell you how long they took exactly. It's not too bad, really.

Some bad points:
- Encounters - Over time, I have grown to dislike encounters in certain situations where I don't want to be interrupted while exploring it. I was spoiled by recently played RPG Bravely Default in this regard (fully customizable encounter rate and difficulty). This game does have alright options for avoidance (Sacred Feather, Avoid Psynergy), and the encounter rate is just low enough to not be super annoying. That said, I am the type of player who now believes there is a time to grind, and a time to explore...
- Sort of a minor thing, but the game could impress onto you that you probably should collect almost all, if not all the Djinn.
- The walking speed is useless :p The running speed should be the walking speed, and the new running speed should be... like at least 1.5 times the current rate, because I need to get where I'm going *now*.
- This game needs an 'airship' for fast travel or something, because it takes forever to backtrack to get stuff you missed - especially if you aren't packing lots of Sacred Feathers. Technically it would've had one in the back half of the game, except for the fact that disc 2 of this game was sold at a later time ^_^;
The Lost Age
- Mia needs like... 100% more scenes of development in this game. Seriously.

Some LOL points:
- Transfer options.

Bronze password:
Transfers levels, Djinn, Psynergy items, and event info. 16 characters. Fair enough.

Silver password:
Transfers Bronze stuff, plus character stats. 61 characters. Okay, this is sort of long man, and just for stats... Alright, but then again I do want to transfer my items, I hope it isn't that much longer-

Gold password:
Transfers Silver stuff, plus your money and items (including that oh-so-important Force Orb). 260 characters.
bx8KXDA.gif

HILARIOUS

RIP to all that play The Lost Age on VC in the future.

My endgame:
Details: Party members are lv. 32/33, all the items they are carrying are either unique artifacts, Psynergy items (including important Force Orb, which is important), Lucky Medals, or Feathered Robes. All Djinn (of course), and I think I did all the events that continue into TLA (there are 6 of them IIRC). I can't recall how much $ I have, but it's somewhere above 100k. It's not much, since I didn't spend time grinding i this game, and I had to buy back all those artifacts... plenty of opportunity in TLA to do so if you like :) I really, really wish there were less unique artifacts so I could transfer 'em all (collector's mindset), but alas.

Password:
Code:
mL!Jw nR?eg
xf&aX vXtyQ
iuPUg jNCTn
rciHS Y6?sa
JK=!h fnBU!

Yijz+ 3FeUF
AJb%u gK8#e
NKJ$z UDamf
4Me#k fwR=?
L+jP! A$vMF

8Bi&8 Ns!rJ
tgFH8 jS%eS
r?TWh Ev#q!
+%s%s t+GUw
uCuhV UsUQH

Q6y?3 agbm?
D?2sH %6wMJ
Cb?SG f%WLH
kC3Rq G7Vur
Mc2zR g6&VS

mbA2r fE6vs
kKb!q Pfiu5
UkBzY qF&4Z
vLA9z QEd&!
VKiAZ XNf5b

UtKaY wQeUR
I was SWEATING while transcribing this and entering it into TLA. Seriously, one wrong character will destroy your soul.

Qurupeke

I got that recently and I'm enjoying it a lot. Currently I'm in that desert but I have an important question.

Are there missable items on the game? I passed that chinese kung fu master where I was supposed to hit a log with psynergy. Move didn't work though. I kept going forward but now I can't return back there too...Also, I hope there aren't missable Djinnies because I have 4 Venus and 2 Mercury...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I got that recently and I'm enjoying it a lot. Currently I'm in that desert but I have an important question.

Are there missable items on the game? I passed that chinese kung fu master where I was supposed to hit a log with psynergy. Move didn't work though. I kept going forward but now I can't return back there too...Also, I hope there aren't missable Djinnies because I have 4 Venus and 2 Mercury...
Yes, there are missable Djinn. If you use a guide for nothing else, use one to collect all the Djinn.

trixx

So I just finished this game. I enjoyed it but the ending??? I'm also missing so many venus djinn's as well.

seriously I thought I was half way through the game. I took the dialogue about the adventure just starting seriously

I want the sequel now but I guess I'll play through earthbound.

I didn't remember it ending like this lol.

I've been replaying this on VC just so I can get to replaying The Lost Age on my Game Boy Micro.

It's been well over a decade now, and the level design of both towns and dungeons is still as eventful and thoughtfully designed as ever. But man, you can really tell it's a prologue to The Lost Age, the narrative doesn't really go anywhere and kind of drifts between smaller tales and excuses to explore some pretty fun locations.

Soundtrack is still as brilliant as ever, among Sakuraba's best work to date, but I honestly can't wait to finish this and get started on The Lost Age. Which was just more ambitious in every way possible. But I'm enjoying that Camelot attention to detail -- I'd completely forgotten about the rather entertaining boat journey from Kalay Docks.

One thing I was surprised at playing this on VC was the quality of the emulation. Did the original always have slowdown in areas when you were using mind read or reveal? And I've noticed sprites are sometimes displayed on top of other sprites when that shouldn't be the case.

Macka

l9t2xbfdxhey.png

What is this? I found it on the Golden Sun subreddit and apparently it does mention Golden Sun, but theres a chance it's a hoax because it's not listed on the website anymore, if it ever was.

I see "cliffhanger" and "2017".

I have no idea what's being said though. : (

I'm always hoping for a new Golden Sun game. Preferably one that can finally top its predecessors.

Datschge

l9t2xbfdxhey.png

What is this? I found it on the Golden Sun subreddit and apparently it does mention Golden Sun, but theres a chance it's a hoax because it's not listed on the website anymore, if it ever was.
Hoax, that column page has been "under construction" since the site relaunch more than half a decade ago.

Top Bottom