• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun |OT| The Sun Rises Again! (Wii U VC)

Chindogg

Super excited for this.

On a side note, can we avoid bitching about the price or the fact it's on Wii U? There's enough of that in the announcement thread.

Can't wait to play this for the first time. Still 3 weeks away though. :(

I asked about that, and the general response I got was go ahead and post the thread since the game is out next week in Japan.

I figure a lot of people will join in with the GBA version they've already got anyway.

Pro tip: Whenever you see a Djinn, SAVE before trying to catch it.
I seem to remember there being a few of those little buggers that would disappear for good if you aren't careful.

I actually still have my original copy of the second Golden Sun game (with the original save!) that I bought back in Middle School just about exactly 10 years ago. All Djinn, all the best weapons, ridiculously over-leveled characters. All because I had the small hope that the next game would have the save carry over... which it didn't, haha. Only one of the many disappointments of Golden Sun 3. :(

Incredible game. I can't wait to play it for a third time on the GamePad :D. I also hope that they release The Lost Age, as I never got around to playing it.

Draconian

I asked about that, and the general response I got was go ahead and post the thread since the game is out next week in Japan.

I figure a lot of people will join in with the GBA version they've already got anyway.

I should point out that I am just sad that it's 3 weeks away. I wasn't trying to complain about this thread existing already or anything. I'm more than happy to start getting hyped right now. Awesome OP, btw.

Haven't played this in years, though it was as a definite favorite back in the day. Dunno if I'll pick it up again right away, but glad others will get the chance to experience it.

I should point out that I am just sad that it's 3 weeks away. I wasn't trying to complain about this thread existing already or anything. I'm more than happy to start getting hyped right now. Awesome OP, btw.

Haha, I know! I was just getting it out there in case anyone else had any questions.

And thank you!

AdanVC

Awesome OT! This game is a gem. I played the hell out of this back then and is one of my favorite RPGs ever!

FluxWaveZ

Might not be the best place to ask, but did the 3DS Golden Sun have a satisfying conclusion to the series or was it another cliffhanger?

Can't wait to type in that massive password for The Lost Age.

I hope they come up with some way to read your save. This is the worst.

I want Camelot to make more RPGs.

giphy.gif

Azure J

I'm going to jump in on this. I remember being pretty interested in the game from box art alone during the early GBA days but I never got the chance to play it (or Advance Wars). Now I'll get to see what all the hype was about.

Kajiba

A Classic. Still have both games after so many years. Happy that people who missed out get a chance to play it now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I love this game so much I still haven't played the DS sequel despite owning it.

Does that make any sense?

Damn it. Ah well, the first two Golden Suns were my first JRPGs and I had a great time with them.
I wouldn't say that it's that essential to play it at the moment in terms of a followup to TLA - it's an alright game, but there are some iffy design choices in the game that would make me consider it in a different context to the first 2.

The first two are essentially a closed chapter, so those would be what I'd recommend to play together.

Lunar15

Great game. I enjoyed The Lost Age more, but the original is still fun.

People complain about the loads of text, but I think the fact that the game actually has puzzles and stuff to do in the world other than fight monsters makes up for it. Plus, maybe it's just me, but I don't remember it having a ton of text. Just slow text.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What a great RPG. All the puzzle-solving etc. Also people want to complain about scouring barrels etc. in Bioshock Infinite? Scrounging through every crate, barrel, box, etc. in this was 1000x crazier.

Noirulus

I don't have a Wii U, but man, this OT took me back to my teens. I absolutely loved the Golden Sun series, GS2 is tied with Chrono Trigger as my favorite RPG of all time.

Do I really want to play through this game again for like the fifth time? Fuck yeah I do.

Should probably finally get through Earthbound first though.

Can't wait to type in that massive password for The Lost Age.

Oh god the gold password. That's just got to be the single longest continue password ever x_x

Golden Sun has a lot of problems that really annoy me like the endless dialogue and grinding and poor-pacing, but it's get's so many other things right. First of all, it honestly has the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in an RPG. It's so distinct, colorful, and the world feels completely alive.

I also like how the puzzles are actually pretty challenging and well designed. Usually, in RPGs, the puzzles are either retardedly easy to the point where they just feel like padding, or the puzzles are more complex, but feel completely out of place from the rest of the game (Final Fantasy X's trials come to mind). The puzzles in Golden Sun are organic with the world and the gameplay since they usually require magic you can also use in battle.

Awesome soundtrack, too. One of the best!

Zornica

Banned

seeing this artwork again brings me to tears. Until 2 years ago I had the exact same poster on my wall, but it got badly damaged in an unfortunate vacuum cleaner accident.

can't wait to play the game again, even though I still own the original gba module... mhhm...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wasn't sure if I was gonna re-buy this on Wii U but with this awesome OT I don't see any choice
You are projecting my thoughts, verbatim. Seeing that image at the top of the post brought back an instant wave of nostalgia and good memories. The only thing this OT is missing is avatars. I scrolled to the bottom to yoink one and realized that... there were none!

Golden Sun is one of my favorite games of its generation. The PoV change from GS1 -> GS2 is such an interesting way of telling the story, and works quite well with what ends up happening, in the end. Always loved the focus on elemental power. The dungeon design in this game is also some of the best in the genre. And that glorious Sakuraba OST!

You are projecting my thoughts, verbatim. Seeing that image at the top of the post brought back an instant wave of nostalgia and good memories. The only thing this OT is missing is avatars. I scrolled to the bottom to yoink one and realized that... there were none!

Golden Sun is one of my favorite games of its generation. The PoV change from GS1 -> GS2 is such an interesting way of telling the story, and works quite well with what ends up happening, in the end. Always loved the focus on elemental power. The dungeon design in this game is also some of the best in the genre. And that glorious Sakuraba OST!

The Djinn I did for the OP are avatar sized.

RriIesm.png
5QrvtC3.png

yoj5sXR.png
voqXnim.png

Top Bottom