• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun |OT| The Sun Rises Again! (Wii U VC)

I love the fact that the world was surrounded purely by
waterfalls. I always wondered what was below them... Was it just an infinite drop? Was there more to the world beyond them? I understand why the world was slowly being consumed by them but I always wanted to know more about them.

It's just such an interesting and mysterious way to build a world

mr_toa

AAARRRGGGGGG - the OP sent me right to amazon/Ebay looking for a replacement for the my long lost cartridge. Ohh, this is going to cost me :)

Time to pull out the GBM and relive this masterpiece!

I love the fact that the world was surrounded purely by
waterfalls. I always wondered what was below them... Was it just an infinite drop? Was there more to the world beyond them? I understand why the world was slowly being consumed by them but I always wanted to know more about them.

It's just such an interesting and mysterious way to build a world

Based off of the old "flat" world map. Amazing. We essentially had a world of just Africa, Asia, and Europe, and the concept was just brilliant

Grief.exe

I dont have a WiiU, but maybe I should join in with my original copy on the Micro.

Gives me a good excuse to play it while I get some discussion in with GAF.

Looks like I'm buying this game a second time. So good.
I never played the third one, did they ever talk a bit more about the world and how it works or was it mostly just focused on the adventure?

DD is mostly focused on the adventure.
In fact I'd say that one of the game's greatest failing was the it didn't expand much on the lore and instead relied too much on the familiarity of the previous narrative.

I did enjoy the series but I do admit the story wasn't very strong. The environment puzzles and gameplay was good though.

And had waaaaay too much dialogue that needed some serious editing a problem that continued to the DS game.

I laughed out loud and cringed at the same time when Camelot said that the first two GS games was a prologue! All that talking and dialogue and it's only just the beginning? LoL!

Oh man, I absolutely loved this game when it came out. I played the fucking hell out of this. I remember getting in shit during school because of this because I'd be playing in the middle of class. Good times. It is a classic. I'm sure I have my GBA and my copy of this in a dusty box somewhere...

NolbertoS

I still remember the Golden Sun commercials. Loved Golden Sun 1 and 2z. Definitely needs a Golden Sun Wii U version someday.

I still remember the Golden Sun commercials. Loved Golden Sun 1 and 2z. Definitely needs a Golden Sun Wii U version someday.
That golden sun commercial was amazing I still remember it as well. I also remember playing this back in the day and being amazed at how much it drew me into its world, it's story. Cannot wait to take that nostalgia trip back again.

One of the VERY few games where the text is actually fun to read though. I remember being surprised by that even with the third installment.

Did you finish the game?

Text has never bothered me in games, I'm willing to read it all. Annoying when it doesn't appear quick enough though, and it wont let me skip to next text box immediately because I've already read the current one. But the quantity of text will never bother me.

I enjoyed the story personally. The story overall is well executed if a bit typical for a monomyth. The plot progresses briskly thanks to the a sense of urgency established at the beginning of the game, and the various subplots intertwined with the main objective ensure that there are very lulls in the story's progression as a result. Development of the various side characters is a real treat if you pay attention, which shouldn't be a problem as the dialogue is colorful and descriptive yet succinct. Despite the world being so vast it feels lively thanks to these elements in the writing.
I can't say as much about the third game, though.
Text has never bothered me in games, I'm willing to read it all. Annoying when it doesn't appear quick enough though, and it wont let me skip to next text box immediately because I've already read the current one. But the quantity of text will never bother me.

The game has message speed options, so I don't think that was ever a problem.

I'm surprised to see so many people hamper on the text, I haven't played these two games in a long time but I remember enjoying the story and especially enjoying learning more about the world. I certainly spoke to every NPC I had seen.

The game has message speed options, so I don't think that was ever a problem.
It's not the message speed that was the problem. It was still painfully slow with all those emoticons with every sentence, and in addition to the dialogue rambling on and on.

In my opinion, the conversations weren't interesting enough for me to read through them. Which was one of the flaws in the otherwise fun RPG.

KiteGr

I've mastered this game back in the days when I was play my GBA.

Since you can't go back after completing the first game, and to 100% both of them and get the final summon you'll have to 100% the original game before finish it, I highly suggest you collect all the Djinn and whatever super weapon there is in the first game before beating the final boss. There is barely any end-game content, so it's not hard.

Most are easily obtainable. Just assume that every area and City has at least one, use reveal in suspicions areas, and generally try to look for secrets. Here are some hints on how to find the less obvious ones:
  • 2 Weird islands in the world map connected only by a bridge have a Djinn as a random battle. There is also one north-west of Tolbi if you do battles closse to the edge of the map.
  • Once you get the lift ability, revisit your hometown Vale!
  • Once you've done with your business in Tolbi,
    win/loose the colloseum and and get your quest from Babi
    , go back into Babi's room and get the item that allows you to hide in the shadows. With this you can return to Lunpa, save Ivan's master, fight a boss, and after that in a room behind you'll find a Djinn.
  • In Suhalla Desert first screen there is a big red tornado hidden in the upper right corner. If you don't throw water at it and let it blow you away, and instead of the entrance, it will send you to Crossbone Isle. This area is pretty much an end-game area and you cant beat it unless you get all your abilities, so you 'll have to climb first the Venus lighthaus and then backtrack before going for the top.
Here is a list to make sure you have them all. There are 7 of each kind!
In "The lost age" there is no hurry to find them as you can go back and get them any time.

Bonus Hints!
  • Once you get out of Vale and get Ivan in your party, you should go deal with the tree problem first before going to Mercury lighthouse in the north. The content and difficulty is designed around that.
  • Cursed gear appear strong, but wearing them will make you cursed (loosing turns and getting random damage), and you won't be able to remove them unless go to a priest. Later in the game you'll find a curse ring that negates a curse's effect, so you can wear all your Cursed gear on a single character, and then have him wear that ring to get rid of the disadvantages.
  • In the Lost Age, start a battle with the original party of the original Golden sun, it'll play the original battle music.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Not sure if I should play the VC version or start looking for a GBA chart on ebay? This OT definitely caught my interest!

Ath

Love this game so much. There's just something about the world and atmosphere that just draws me in. One of my favourite Sakuraba soundtracks too.

Love this game so much. There's just something about the world and atmosphere that just draws me in. One of my favourite Sakuraba soundtracks too.
Yeah, the sprite work was pretty great. It's still amazing to look at.

I love sprite art in games, always have. Something about them.

Very well done OT!

I'm looking forward to picking this up, as I wasn't able to do so during the GBA days. And it's good to see Nintendo acknowledging the existence of the Golden Sun franchise.

Ulumsk

The hours I put into those first two games... Too bad Camelot focuses on mascot sports games instead. Would dust off my WiiU for a new GS.

Such a great fuckin series. A shame its one of many nintendo hasn't focused on more.

Also they should have Isaac in SSB, he would be so dope.

My favorite GBA game, might bust out my Micro and replay this now.

I think that my avatar explains my feelings about this series. :3

pvvrZLy.jpg

Yeah...not so much.

This one I'm definitely buying. Never played it before, but I consider the game as sort of a must play anyway (as in a classic).

MicH

I never had the chance to get this game during the GBAs ridiculously short life, but a year or two ago I finally acquired both games yet I still haven't played them. Now is the time to do it

I want to force old people and women to row a big boat in HD... ):

I wonder if their going to recreate the magic of transferring you character into Lost Age.

I never had the chance to get this game during the GBAs ridiculously short life, but a year or two ago I finally acquired both games yet I still haven't played them. Now is the time to do it

It's funny because the wait between Golden Sun 1 and 2 felt like an eternity to me back in the day. I remember feverishly looking over the preview for the Lost Age in Nintendo Power and being blown away by the size of the world map. And there was even more to do on the world map than I ever imagined.

Baleoce

I want to force old people and women to row a big boat in HD... ):

I wonder if their going to recreate the magic of transferring you character into Lost Age.
Haha oh god. I'd forgotten all about that. Pretty sure it'll still be there yeah :/ they'll probably say it's to maintain the feeling of the original experience xD

Griss

I've wanted to replay this a few times over the years, but whenever I decide that I will I remember how ridiculously wordy it was and how half the time you felt like you were making no progress at all in the main story. Also, a huge part of the enjoyment of it back in the day was its phenomenal graphics, which won't have the same effect any more.

Also, I was so disappointed with the story. The overall plot is fine, but the ending...
Cliffhangers are never acceptible. By the time I got the second game I had forgotten most of the first and didn't care anymore. I beat the second game but don't remember a damn thing about it. It's such a shame. When I buy an RPG I'm buying a full story, dammit. That's what I feel entitled to for my money.
And as I said before, I'm not sure so many words have ever been used to say so little.

I picked up Dark Dawn about a year ago and put it down two hours into it. It hadn't progressed at all. Same wordiness and same gameplay but without the impressive visuals.

Still though, that battle system from the original was brilliant, addictive fun, and the colourful world was so enjoyable to explore. Strip the dialogue out and you would have the perfect classic gameplay only RPG.

Top Bottom