• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 Reloaded (Activision) - Amazon.fr Says Xbox 360/PS3

RockmanWhore said:
Move pointer works very well. It depends on the game, there is no low level pointer solution like the Wii, but some games like The Shoot, MAG and Killzone 3 have some really awesome pointer controls. Hell, KZ3 plays better than any FPS on Wii, if they work well, the game will be control just as great with the Move than the Wiimote.

Still, I would have to buy 4 Move controllers for MP, which I allready own 4 remotes for Wii U, going by my Student Budget these are pretty huge factors :(
I don't know, it's not that I don't trust Move to deliver good aiming (far from it, the little I tested was very very solid and at least on par with the Wii Remote aiming), it's just that I still play the Wii version, and I think it's better to let some time pass before I decide to get an HD version of the game.

ok, I'm definitely buying this now. I'm guessing Activision will release it full price regardless (instead of $15 like with dead space extraction--although that was EA).

Even if you don't want to buy 4 of them, getting a Move is cheap enough these days. It's definitely worth a try. Sports champions, LBP2 (well, Prehistoric Moves) and KZ3 are quite fun with Move.

I've got a Sharp Shooter, though, so that might help..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Disguises said:
Well they said they rebuilt the engine from scratch, so it sounds like less of a port actually :/
Probably exagerating to make it sound bigger than it is for the Wii snobs. It's an enhanced port. A few new models, a few new effects, a bit of new content and of course a much better frame rate and resolution since it's stil a roughly Wii level game running on much, much more powerful hardware.
RockmanWhore said:
some games like The Shoot
Uh The Shoot? Really? I haven't played the other games but I can't take you seriously if you think The Shoot was on par with what the Wii's pointer is capable of (it's not like you were comparing it to the worst implementations like Red Steel 1 or something, which would have made more sense with that, heh).

Feindflug

gofreak said:
Well, I dunno, just relaying what I'm reading. Just according to this it's 1080p, and this article mentions the 60fps too.

Well it's weird that there is such a big difference between the two versions resolution-wise but if they can manage a steady 60fps at 1080p on PS3 it will be great.

FyreWulff

The only way I'm buying this for 360 is if it has Legacy sticks

Don't make the same mistake 4J did with Perfect Dark XBLA, Eurocom

MarshMellow96 said:
Even if you didn't end up buying 4 of them, getting just one Move is pretty cheap these days.

Oh don't get me wrong. If I had the money, I would buy more stuff, but I sadly don't have the option to. The games I buy, and more to the point, the hardware I buy, I often have to plan months in advance. I miss out on a lot of stuff.

The good thing about this is, that I learned to judge what I need, want and make decisions on that.

Goldeneye Reloaded for me would only be viable next year, and by that point I almost expect them to have a Wii U version announced, maybe even a launchtitle.(which would save me money)

technically, you couldn't play this with four move and navigation controllers, right? I think the max is 7 bluetooth connections, meaning 3 players with that setup + one with a standard pad.

I'm hoping Eurocom improves the standard pad controls too. Didn't feel entirely natural on the CC Pro.

Alextended said:
Uh The Shoot? Really? I haven't played the other games but I can't take you seriously if you think The Shoot was on par with what the Wii's pointer is capable of (it's not like you were comparing it to the worst implementations like Red Steel 1 or something, which would have made more sense with that, heh).

I might be wrong with The Shoot, I've only played the demo once or twice, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by how great it felt, because some Move games have horrible pointer controls. I mostly play KZ3 and the pointer works extremely well though, the only drawback compared to the Wii is the heavier calibration process.

Linkzg said:
technically, you couldn't play this with four move and navigation controllers, right? I think the max is 7 bluetooth connections, meaning 3 players with that setup + one with a standard pad.

I'm hoping Eurocom improves the standard pad controls too. Didn't feel entirely natural on the CC Pro.

Is the bluetooth limit set in stone or can they increase it via Firmware? Because knowing Activision a version for the Wii U would def. be sold at full price, and for that I could easily get the PS3 version plus a Move controller next year.

FyreWulff

Bluetooth connections are a hard limit. It's 8 total connections and the 'base' device counts as one of the connections.

So, at the moment, the only version that can allow full pointer control for 4 players is the Wii version, because Nintendo had the nunchuck piggyback on the Wiimote's connection.

FyreWulff said:
Bluetooth connections are a hard limit. It's 8 total connections and the 'base' device counts as one of the connections.

So, at the moment, the only version that can allow full pointer control for 4 players is the Wii version, because Nintendo had the nunchuck piggyback on the Wiimote's connection.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens with the game.

On PS3, people should definetly play it with the Move controller. If the calibrations are similar to the Wii version of Goldeneye it's going to be one, if not the best Pointer Aimed FPS on the system. The killing rampages one can do with a no scoped sniper rifle are brutal in this game.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Nuclear Muffin said:
It's true, Move is no substitute for the Wii's pointer.

Move isn't actually capable of pointing really, instead it relies on the device's internal motion sensors entirely. Not only is it not as accurate (since it offers no direct relation to where you're pointing onscreen), it also suffers from gyro drift (so over time, you'll find that the cursor drifts out of place until you calibrate it again)

what is this bullshit? all the move games play perfectly fine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
boris feinbrand said:
One on rails segment and the tank chase. That's about it.

Plus that on rails segment is really, really short.

I think you can get it to feel the same, but move aiming has a slightly different feel. It's more about relative position than direct line of sight like the wii remote to the sensor bar.

Playing Dead Space Extraction (my first lengthy move experience) and comparing it with my experiences playing the same game on the Wii, I prefer the Move controls because it's more comfortable. Like, you don't need to aim directly at the TV. It doesn't feel as quick, in a general sense, but it's more different than better or worse.

personally, I had to mess with Goldeneye a lot to get it to feel right, unlike Red Steel 2 or Metroid Prime 3. Those felt 'right' instantly. For move, I played the KZ3 demo and that also felt great).

FyreWulff

boris feinbrand said:
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens with the game.

On PS3, people should definetly play it with the Move controller. If the calibrations are similar to the Wii version of Goldeneye it's going to be one, if not the best Pointer Aimed FPS on the system. The killing rampages one can do with a no scoped sniper rifle are brutal in this game.

Honestly, as a 360 owner, the PS3 version is looking like the version to get for those that don't own a Wii. It'll have the pointer controls and you won't have to pay to play it online just like the Wii version.

xandaca

Oh wow, more embarrassment for Nintendo in what has been a terrible year. They made such a big deal of this at last year's E3 and reportedly even made creative contributions during the game's development. To see it appear in enhanced form on rival consoles is a real kick in the teeth.

boris feinbrand said:
One on rails segment and the tank chase. That's about it.
OK thanks, that's not so bad.

Well count me in when this game comes out. Wish they could be more specific with the release date than "Fall".

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Linkzg said:
I think you can get it to feel the same, but move aiming has a slightly different feel. It's more about relative position than direct line of sight like the wii remote to the sensor bar.

Playing Dead Space Extraction (my first lengthy move experience) and comparing it with my experiences playing the same game on the Wii, I prefer the Move controls because it's more comfortable. Like, you don't need to aim directly at the TV. It doesn't feel as quick, in a general sense, but it's more different than better or worse.

personally, I had to mess with Goldeneye a lot to get it to feel right, unlike Red Steel 2 or Metroid Prime 3. Those felt 'right' instantly. For move, I played the KZ3 demo and that also felt great).

dead space extraction doesn't have much of a calibration process though. time crisis requires you to point at all 4 corners of the screen for calibration, and that was pretty close to a light gun experience.

xandaca said:
Oh wow, more embarrassment for Nintendo in what has been a terrible year. They made such a big deal of this at last year's E3 and reportedly even made creative contributions during the game's development. To see it appear in enhanced form on rival consoles is a real kick in the teeth.

I guess if it comes out next Christmas for Wii-U everything will be okay..

FyreWulff said:
Honestly, as a 360 owner, the PS3 version is looking like the version to get for those that don't own a Wii. It'll have the pointer controls and you won't have to pay to play it online just like the Wii version.
Agreed. I wouldn't mind the online fee as I still have my gold account, but really my main problem is the lack of pointer aiming. Dual analog just isn't an option for me anymore if I can avoid it.

EatChildren said:
Plus that on rails segment is really, really short.

Yeah, like not even 3 minutes long, if that.

Linkzg said:

I actually found the Experienced 3 setting in Goldeneye to be almost perfect. I just dialed up the turning speed a bit and some of the ADS stuff, but other than that it worked just perfectly for me. Red Steel 2 still feels a lot more fluid, but thats because it is 60fps all the time and has Motion plus to even out the off screen stuff. So in that regard, with motion plus the wiimote uses both the relative position as well as direct line of sight.

MarshMellow96 said:

Knowing Activision you can bet your ass that it's coming to every system under the sun, maybe even Vita and 3DS. The age of 3rd party exclusives is over. There will remain some, but for the most part timed exclusive is the only thing you will get.

Shiggy

MarshMellow96 said:

Wii U might get Raven's new Bond game next year, in case they started a new one earlier this year.

Glad I didn't pick this up on the Wii. While Im not sure if I will pick this up Day 1, I imagine I will get this sometime around release. I heard great things about the wii version, so Im hyped!

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Does anybody know how this is possible? How did activation side-step all the red tape from Goldeneye being controlled by Nintendo? From reading earlier posts it seems like Activision's lawyers must have been to hell and back to have this little miracle of a release.

erlim said:
Does anybody know how this is possible? How did activation side-step all the red tape from Goldeneye being controlled by Nintendo? From reading earlier posts it seems like Activision's lawyers must have been to hell and back to have this little miracle of a release.
It's not the Goldeneye from the N64 days.

erlim said:
This is an original game, not the N64 version. It's not like Nintendo owns the goldeneye name.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
H_Prestige said:
This is an original game, not the N64 version. It's not like Nintendo owns the goldeneye name.

But I was reading that Nintendo had a huge hand in this game's development---and spent a mint to promote and market the game? Not to mention the publishing in Japan thing.

bobbytkc said:
dead space extraction doesn't have much of a calibration process though. time crisis requires you to point at all 4 corners of the screen for calibration, and that was pretty close to a light gun experience.

yeah, I haven't played Time Crisis with move yet (because I have a guncon 3 and the original PS3 version of TC4...haha).

Dead Space Extraction is the first pointer heavy game that I've played at length and can provide a direct comparison to my Wii experience. I'm actually happy to see my favorite Wii games remastered (HotD Overkill, Goldeneye, etc) and wouldn't mind seeing more (Red Steel 2, Japan-only Gundam 0079 game, Boom Blox).

Actually, with the Wii U and PS3 in the same ballpark of hardware power with similar control inputs, it could provide more incentive for developers to create these types of games. Kinect too, albeit with limitations. Like, I'm sure Wii U will show up on the Wii U.
(edit: ^ wtf? I meant Child of Eden will show up on Wii U)

that was going off on a tangent

so yeah, excited about Goldeneye Reloaded. Ideally Activision would release it for $40, at most, but I'm sure it will be a full priced $60 product sent to die in the fall. Might as well release it on November 15th!

Mael

erlim said:
But I was reading that Nintendo had a huge hand in this game's development---and spend a mint to promote and market the game? Not to mention the publish in Japan thing.

I doubt they did anything not part of standard support for the game, but there is probably a marketing deal hence the 1 year exclusivity deal.

StevieP

Banned
I'll quote myself from the other thread:
StevieP said:
PS3:
qz7py.jpg

Dolphin:
Dolphin%202010-11-06%2017-59-30-52.jpg

... I don't like what they've done.

To those that don't like the new lighting engine, I have to agree. "Running on a new engine" - blech. The Wiimote pointer is indeed better than Move's (which is also prone to drift due to its implementation), but not to a hugely detrimental experience. Those who have a PS3 and Move, buy this. As it is easily one of the better single player FPS campaigns this gen.

Those who have a 360? Don't bother. It's much better with a pointer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
StevieP said:
That's pretty dumb. The campaign is great regardless of the controls. Controls alone (which weren't the best pointer controls on Wii) didn't make it good. Otherwise I'd have liked The Conduit games also (hint: I found them mediocre at best). It's a great FPS that deviates from the usual COD formula and so feels fresh. 360 owners obviously don't care about pointer controls since they've not had them ever and have played plenty FPS without them. Same for most PS3 owners reallly. And some misguided Wii owners at that.

Also, the CC Pro controls were less than ideal (just like the pointer controls really) so you shouldn't judge the PS360 setup from that, since they shoehorned near 1:1 Call of Duty style controls onto it without altering the layout, and of course the CC Pro does lack two buttons compared to the PS360 controllers so it made certain actions impossible to do at the same time. They could have fixed it in certain ways but clearly didn't bother and just set it up like they would on PS360 then shoehorned some actions where they shouldn't.

If you want comparisons with Wii show Wii screens, not Dolphin, since you're so invested in this argument. Not that there's a great difference even like that. So it's slightly darker in the snow, perhaps also has a different blur effect from the storm, big deal. Other instances show the better elements like the wet surface effects on the dam with the rain. It's not like the original has some amazing, flawless, ART that any minor change like that alters the perfected source material to a great degree or something. Also, 60 fps. Fin.

As for what engine it is, it doesn't even matter. People thought it's the COD engine when they saw the first Wii media too. Turned out it wasn't. Though it was similar enough.
boris feinbrand said:
I actually found the Experienced 3 setting in Goldeneye to be almost perfect. I just dialed up the turning speed a bit and some of the ADS stuff, but other than that it worked just perfectly for me. Red Steel 2 still feels a lot more fluid, but thats because it is 60fps all the time and has Motion plus to even out the off screen stuff. So in that regard, with motion plus the wiimote uses both the relative position as well as direct line of sight.
Pointer controls never felt right in Goldeneye to me, the biggest issue was the lack of variation in the turning speed where the further away from the deadzone the cursor is the faster the camera turns. Instead it was either still (or with the slight motion from the auto center or whatever option) or abruptly changed to your full turning speed which isn't exactly natural. COD and Red Steel 2 handled that much better and it has nothing to do with Motion Plus for the latter, that's only used for off screen (or rather, off sensor bar, since it can be off screen but still within view of it depending on your settings) tracking, which I rarely if ever needed to begin with.

That said, Goldeneye pointer controls are still overall better than any dual analog system. At least for single player fun.

StevieP said:
Have you played with a controller? I've been playing with the Classic Controller Pro, and had no problems with the game whatsoever. I liked playing with the CC Pro too.

StevieP

Banned
Shadowlink said:
Have you played with a controller? I've been playing with the Classic Controller Pro, and had no problems with the game whatsoever. I liked playing with the CC Pro too.

I played extensively with the CC Pro. Despite not having the greatest IR implementation on Wii, going back to dual-analog felt archaic. Picking people off rapidly from long distances, as was necessary many times in the campaign, was difficult even with the autoaim. A lot of its stealth design (which is much more fun than going all rambo, IMO) involves rapid aiming - which simply can't be done as well with dual-analog.

If you want comparisons with Wii show Wii screens, not Dolphin, since you're so invested in this argument. Not that there's a great difference even like that. So it's slightly darker in the snow, perhaps also has a different blur effect from the storm, big deal.

Yes, it's a compressed feed from the trailer, but the blur filter (which is common on many PC/HD console games nowadays) looks like crap in my opinion. It's not quite as bad as the UE3 vaseline filter or the Crysis 2 pane-of-glass filter but it's not far off. I'm the kind of person who much MUCH prefers the crisp, clean look of Portal 2 to Gears of War 3. The dolphin screenshot showcases what, to me, looks a lot cleaner. Yes, unlike the Wii version it has AA/AF, but the overall visuals just don't look muddy on that version.

Multiplayer could be big for them if they support it post launch. I still pop in Quantum of Solace from time to time and have been waiting for another Bond title to take its place.

Deadbeat

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Multiplayer could be big for them if they support it post launch.
No it wont because the multiplayer is a stupid cod clone. If they remade it to be like the original multiplayer, sure.

StevieP

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Multiplayer could be big for them if they support it post launch. I still pop in Quantum of Solace from time to time and have been waiting for another Bond title to take its place.

Enh. Only if they fix it. Online was easily the biggest disappointment of the Wii title. It was like CoD, except much less fun. Not to say it was awful (it was OK, actually - there is some fun to be had) but the "CoD lite" that people called it was fairly accurate.

The campaign is the biggest reason to own Goldeneye. It's leaps and bounds better than 95% of the other FPS campaigns across all consoles.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Goldeneye 007 on Wii was sort of like how my nostalgia remembers the N64 game. Perfect Dark XBLA is the reality (unplayable).

I may check this out.

StevieP said:
That's funny, I seem to recall that shooters are somewhat popular on the 360. Guess I should tell everyone to stop playing them, it's just not worth it without a pointer. lol

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've never liked IR aiming as much as I've liked (good) dual analog stick controls. Whether one or the other is capable of a more accurate experience, I couldn't care less, I have just as much fun if not more playing games dual analog (or mouse and keyboard) as I do with pointer controls.

StevieP

Banned
Rodney McKay said:
That's funny, I seem to recall that shooters are somewhat popular on the 360. Guess I should tell everyone to stop playing them, it's just not worth it without a pointer. lol

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've never liked IR aiming as much as I've liked (good) dual analog stick controls. Whether one or the other is capable of a more accurate experience, I couldn't care less, I have just as much fun if not more playing games dual analog (or mouse and keyboard) as I do with pointer controls.

Mouse & Keyboard >>>>>> Wiimote IR > Move Gyro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dual Analog.

But beyond that, there is a lot about the design of Goldeneye's campaign that makes it less enjoyable with dual-analog, as I've mentioned. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with it, but there are a lot of stealth portions that you just can't do with the large reduction in speed and accuracy. And going through this game via stealth was a heck of a lot more fun than doing the CoD rambo thing.

Luckyman

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
It's true, Move is no substitute for the Wii's pointer.

Move isn't actually capable of pointing really, instead it relies on the device's internal motion sensors entirely. Not only is it not as accurate (since it offers no direct relation to where you're pointing onscreen), it also suffers from gyro drift (so over time, you'll find that the cursor drifts out of place until you calibrate it again)

lol really? The camera tracks the color light bulb on the move

Top Bottom