• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Apath

Mike Works said:
why did they change opening the Bookmarks Bar from (CTRL+B) to (CTRL+Shift+B)?

CTRL+B now does nothing.

What was the rationale behind that?
I would often* accidentally cntrl+b while copying or pasting, and not realize it until I go to click my bookmarks. It got to be pretty annoying, but I didn't know the changed it until I read your post. Makes sense now that it has happened to me for a while.

*about once a week.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So can anyone else help me verify this bug?

Wrench -> Bookmarks manager brings up the bookmarks manager like normal. But right clicking in any bookmark area and hitting "Bookmarks manager" brings up a glitched empty version.

Jasoco

Banned
Angelus Errare said:
Chrome 7 has entered the beta channel. :D
Does the Mac version have hardware acceleration yet?

Andrex said:
So can anyone else help me verify this bug?

Wrench -> Bookmarks manager brings up the bookmarks manager like normal. But right clicking in any bookmark area and hitting "Bookmarks manager" brings up a glitched empty version.
I can't recreate this because I don't know where you are right-clicking that shows that menu. Once I'm in the manager, there is no other way to open one. And reopening it just switches to the already open tab. (i.e. Chrome only allows one Bookmarks Manager just like History and Extensions.) Mac version here.

So is anyone using the Polyglot extension.

It translates random words in a page you are reading into a language you are learning. Helps build vocabulary. Just found out about it, will go home and install after work.

whatsinaname said:
So is anyone using the Polyglot extension.

It translates random words in a page you are reading into a language you are learning. Helps build vocabulary. Just found out about it, will go home and install after work.

I am now! thanks!

Jzero

Jim said:
"Pin tab" with a Right Click? Yeah.

Been my preferred browser for 2 years now.

Holy shit i've had chrome since launch day and i did not know this XD
Awesome, now anyone walking behind me wont know what im looking at:lol

Angelus Errare said:
Chrome 7 has entered the beta channel. :D
Im on beta and i cant download it

EDIT: Thanks for all the extension suggestions:D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
Does the Mac version have hardware acceleration yet?

I can't recreate this because I don't know where you are right-clicking that shows that menu. Once I'm in the manager, there is no other way to open one. And reopening it just switches to the already open tab. (i.e. Chrome only allows one Bookmarks Manager just like History and Extensions.) Mac version here.

Close the manager each time you test it, this is about opening a new one in a new tab. I'm talking about right clicking "Other bookmarks." I can replicate it on my netbook but it's harder to do on my desktop PC.

Jzero15 said:
Holy shit i've had chrome since launch day and i did not know this XD
Awesome, now anyone walking behind me wont know what im looking at:lol

Im on beta and i cant download it

EDIT: Thanks for all the extension suggestions:D

Seems weird, Mac? I was prompted for an update last night at 11ish. I'm on PC.
And dear god Polyglot is awesome!

tabsina

Angelus Errare said:
Seems weird, Mac? I was prompted for an update last night at 11ish. I'm on PC.
And dear god Polyglot is awesome!

I'm on pc in the beta stream, neither my computer or laptop have updated to 7 - oh well, i guess it'll only be a matter of time

tabsina said:
I'm on pc in the beta stream, neither my computer or laptop have updated to 7 - oh well, i guess it'll only be a matter of time

very strange, my laptop hasn't been either but my roommate's has and I entered him into the beta channel.

Jasoco

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Yea. Instant streaming doesn't woprk for me anymore. Have to open FF etc.
It never worked for me. It always said I needed Safari or Firefox. Which makes no sense. It's WebKit and Silverlight. It's the goddamned internet. It should work on all browsers! I can browse and add to queue. But watching requires something else.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Angelus Errare said:
very strange, my laptop hasn't been either but my roommate's has and I entered him into the beta channel.
Are you sure it's the beta channel? I'm also running the Beta and not on 7. Maybe the dev channel?

Bboy AJ said:
Are you sure it's the beta channel? I'm also running the Beta and not on 7. Maybe the dev channel?

>.< you're right, I forgot I switched my desktop to dev channel.

My bad everyone false alarm. (please don't hang me =()

Meier

So I started using Chrome from the start and loved it for quite awhile but eventually went back to Firefox because of the fact that many images didn't load. This is still happening.. half the avatars on GAF don't show and looking at Evil's travelogue thread, probably 70% of his pictures didn't load either. What gives? How do people use this consistently still?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Spire said:
Does Chrome have any version of NoScript? It's the only thing holding me back from switching.

ghostery is kind of in the same vein.

Meier said:
So I started using Chrome from the start and loved it for quite awhile but eventually went back to Firefox because of the fact that many images didn't load. This is still happening.. half the avatars on GAF don't show and looking at Evil's travelogue thread, probably 70% of his pictures didn't load either. What gives? How do people use this consistently still?
No that it's worth much, but I've never had this problem. Closest I've got is some pages just flat out not loading and getting a connection error message, and having to press F5.

tabsina

Meier said:

Unfortunately for you, I think your problem isn't commonly experienced by most Chrome users - I've never seen the problem first hand (and most people I know use Chrome), only some people talking about it on neogaf

Not sure how to fix it for you, as I've already tried giving suggestions to another gaffer, but that didn't work out

whitehawk

Banned
So, I can download videos from youtube, but is there an extension that will automatically convert it and let me download an MP3?

Pctx

Banned
Anyone know of an extension to sync across all chrome programs much like the bookmarks? I want to sync most all of my extensions but not all my bookmarks since I have personal and work ones. *sigh*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pctx said:
Anyone know of an extension to sync across all chrome programs much like the bookmarks? I want to sync most all of my extensions but not all my bookmarks since I have personal and work ones. *sigh*

Wrench -> Options -> Personal Stuff -> Sync: Customize...

Or you could set up a separate dummy Google Account and sync one of them to that.

Pctx

Banned
Andrex said:
Wrench -> Options -> Personal Stuff -> Sync: Customize...

Or you could set up a separate dummy Google Account and sync one of them to that.
*HUGS* :D Thank you kind sir.

So trying out Chrome again as most of my Firefox addons have been ported but something is kind of bugging me.

They still haven't fixed Chrome with the tile/cascade windows commands in XP? Or am I missing something. Kind of a big deal for me, use it all the time.

Meier said:

I must say, this has happened to me on a few occasions recently. Not sure why it happens.

pmj

Any way to make Chrome ignore fonts specified by websites and always use the ones I have set? I find NeoGAF in particular to be close to unreadable. The fonts are way too small.

I also used to have trouble with images and whole websites refusing to load, even though they work fine in other browsers, but I haven't encountered that problem in a long time now.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Is it normal for chrome to use this resources after an hour of use? Can extensions cause it to use this much?

33uep0y.jpg

Programs are going to use as much as they want or need. Don't sweat it. You're thinking about computing like we all still have 8 MB of RAM.

What you should worry about is if it slows everything else down and won't share resources, and Task Manager isn't going to tell you that.

vazel

Banned
I'm guessing the tab using 100MB with 39% cpu is video streaming or a flash game? Other than that things look fine don't know what you're expecting.

I'm happy with Chrome's resource usage. Running like 20 tabs right now most tabs are 5-8MB with a handful that are 30-60MB. I like to have my browser on at all times at the ready for whatever I want so I expect the browser to use as little resources as possible.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The great thing about Chrome is if you close a tab, it's like it never existed. If you have the browser open for a long time there will be very little gradual slowdown at all.

pmj

Fonts anybody? From the lack of replies, can I assume that you see no problem with the fonts or did you fix them somehow?

This seems to be a showstopper for a lot of people, just google chrome minimum font size and similar for an endless supply of complaints. I find the browser to be completely unusable, and that's with a 22" monitor. I tried the Minimum Font extension which doesn't work at all on my Chrome - the icon that's supposed to turn the thing on for the domain doesn't actually show up on any site. I'm on the dev channel and on Linux so I guess it might be a compatibility issue.

I have to agree with the resource use of Chrome. That's the whole reason I'm trying to switch. It may not use any less memory than Firefox, but it's a lot snappier and doesn't require restarts every few days to stay functional.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
More GPU accelerated goodness landing in the Chrome 7 canary and trunk builds! Seems as if Chrome can handle some of those IE9 demos now.

pmj said:
Fonts anybody? From the lack of replies, can I assume that you see no problem with the fonts or did you fix them somehow?

This seems to be a showstopper for a lot of people, just google chrome minimum font size and similar for an endless supply of complaints. I find the browser to be completely unusable, and that's with a 22" monitor. I tried the Minimum Font extension which doesn't work at all on my Chrome - the icon that's supposed to turn the thing on for the domain doesn't actually show up on any site. I'm on the dev channel and on Linux so I guess it might be a compatibility issue.

I have to agree with the resource use of Chrome. That's the whole reason I'm trying to switch. It may not use any less memory than Firefox, but it's a lot snappier and doesn't require restarts every few days to stay functional.

Zoom levels are saved per domain. For NeoGAF, increase the zoom level some and it will stay that way in the future.

pmj

Andrex said:
Zoom levels are saved per domain. For NeoGAF, increase the zoom level some and it will stay that way in the future.
Zoom resizes images and everything and that's not what I want. I know a lot of people here love Chrome and shit on other browsers, and I can't believe you're all accepting that pages need to be zoomed in order to be read without squinting while leaning forward. This just ridiculous.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMFG @ the Aquarium demo!!

http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

You guys have to try this! And be sure to turn on normal maps!

(Oh and press L. :lol)

pmj said:
Zoom resizes images and everything and that's not what I want. I know a lot of people here love Chrome and shit on other browsers, and I can't believe you're all accepting that pages need to be zoomed in order to be read without squinting while leaning forward. This just ridiculous.

Decrease your monitor's resolution?

Whatever bucko. If you want to use another browser more suited to you that's fine, but you're bringing up an issue for less than 1% of 1% of browser users.

Top Bottom