• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Hex

Banned
D4Danger said:
Image Properties Context Menu extension

It should work but I haven't tested it that much.

There's still a couple of things I want to add like the ability to zoom images in and out and changing to background (you can't see white images on the white background for example)

If it works ok for people I'll probably try and fix it up next week.

Much thanks

.GqueB.

Banned
Vox-Pop said:
I hope the new version is more stable. Currently Chrome is sluggish on my mac.
Right? People are always singing its praises but it runs like arse for me. It SUCKS at loading gifs for one.

Gazunta

Holy crap, Image Properties!!

sogood.gif

One bit of feedback: Any chance you can make the window smaller for those of us on netbooks?

delirium

Nabs said:
do you have the latest quake live installed (through firefox)? once i did that, it has worked in chrome. i am even able to update in chrome now.

it's built in. unless the awesomebar does more than i realize.
It's different in Firefox. Chrome seems to like address where FF I can just use the site's title. It also remembers what choices you make.

Threi

notag
D4Danger said:

There's still a couple of things I want to add like the ability to zoom images in and out and changing to background (you can't see white images on the white background for example)

thank you so much :D

vazel

Banned
I just figured out why Chrome loads instantanously sometimes and other times it takes a few seconds. Win7 has a caching feature in RAM doesn't it? I have never actually noticed it improving loading speed before. Oh well Chrome is still faster when browsing than Firefox in a quick test I did just now.

Is there any way of saving all the tabs you have open when you close the browser? Firefox does this and I absolutely love it when I have to go in a hurry and want to save what I was browsing.

Edit - Never mind I figured it out. :lol

Lee N

Membre
D4Danger said:

Looking good, but I have a couple of suggestions.

The easy one is showing file size alongside the dimensions. But if you have extra time on your hands you could include EXIF support.

How the hell do I get a search bar next to the address bar?? I know that doubles as a search bar, but I want a nice little bar next to it that remembers stuff I type. Why is this so hard? That search bar drop down thing is garbage, it crashes like every time. I tried chrome a few months ago and that was doing the same thing. I mean seriously, why can't I get a freaking bar........

tabsina

Apesht Mcfckface said:
How the hell do I get a search bar next to the address bar?? I know that doubles as a search bar, but I want a nice little bar next to it that remembers stuff I type. Why is this so hard? That search bar drop down thing is garbage, it crashes like every time. I tried chrome a few months ago and that was doing the same thing. I mean seriously, why can't I get a freaking bar........

wait.. i don't quite understand.. what exactly is wrong with the search bar at the top of stock chrome? (the omnibar, to be precise)

Roto13

The NeoGAF User Highlighter extension isn't working for me. (And I did give it my username and set it to highlight everything.)

EDIT: Except for this post, apparently. >_>

EDIT 2: Ok, now it's highlighting everything except threads, which is the reason I wanted the extension in the first place. :p

That extension that is suppose to block out sites for a period of time doesn't work at all. I told it to block GAF, yet I am still posting on GAF.

Also how do you get all your extensions in a pull down menu?

mollipen

clip said:
Can you tag bookmarks yet?

Isn't the same thing, but you could always use Delicious. There's a Chrome extension that sits right next to the URL bar that lets you add new bookmarks, see all your bookmarks by tag, and whatnot.

That's what I use (and could never go back to browser-specific bookmarks now).

OchreHand

Awesome D4Danger, nice work. I can't believe something like that isn't built into Chrome already!

Also, it's not a big deal, but I haven't figured this out: Is there a way to get a drop down list in the URL bar?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for all the comments.

some minor changes

added a zoom slider so you can scale and image up or down if it doesn't fit in the area provided (I just want to play with some new HTML5 features)

Gazunta said:
Holy crap, Image Properties!!

sogood.gif

One bit of feedback: Any chance you can make the window smaller for those of us on netbooks?

I added an options page so you can set the width and height of the popup window

Lee N said:
Looking good, but I have a couple of suggestions.

The easy one is showing file size alongside the dimensions. But if you have extra time on your hands you could include EXIF support.

I'm going to look into the EXIF stuff. You can do this with javascript and there's a couple of sites you can hook into so this should be possible.

I think Chrome keeps extensions up-to-date but you can just install it again to get the update now.

two question because first time i am trying to use this. Is there no script add on like firefox and is there a stop button on top to stop the page from loading and other button like print and something. i did not see them in menu

Also is there anyway to have fastdial like add on in google? it is much easy if all the main website are in front when i start firefox.
thanks

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
crazy monkey said:
two question because first time i am trying to use this. Is there no script add on like firefox and is there a stop button on top to stop the page from loading and other button like print and something. i did not see them in menu

Also is there anyway to have fastdial like add on in google? it is much easy if all the main website are in front when i start firefox.
thanks
The refresh button is also a stop button.

Is anyone else unable to see their google account bar on top of the google main page?

This is my first time ever using Chrome. It's interesting. The added real estate is good. The extra speed is good. There are some issues though.

I like scrolling with the mouse wheel button click. More convenient for me than going to the scroll bars. This feature needs some work. While it's there, it's really slow. Not just the scrolling speed, but the screen draw speed. It goes like 14 frames per second. Almost like a game where you turn off the hardware acceleration.

Another issue is the Find feature disappears when switching pages.

I've only used it for about 10 minutes, so I haven't dug really deep yet. Is there a Web Developer-like extension for it?

Another oddity is there's three instances open when I only have one tab open, displaying Neogaf. I wonder what the other two instances do.

Edit - Opening a new tab created a 4th instance. So two of the instances are the two tabs I have open. One of them I guess is the main Chrome instance that runs everything. But there's still one unaccounted for.

It does seem to use more memory than FireFox when you add up all the instances.

Edit 2 - Is there a 64-bit version?

tabsina

aweome work d4danger, love what you have done with it

Blu_LED said:
Also how do you get all your extensions in a pull down menu?

between the omnibar and the left-most extension, you are able to drag the extension "area" to the right and make it smaller, which will condense into a dropdown menu, starting from the furthest right extension

tl;dr: drag right from the area between the search bar and extensions

Roto13 said:
EDIT 2: Ok, now it's highlighting everything except threads, which is the reason I wanted the extension in the first place. :p

the code is only able to highlight threads you've created, rather than threads you've posted in (i believe it just does a search for your username in the appropriate html tags, so it wouldn't be able to see if you've posted in it - though i guess there'd be some way around doing it)

SlipperySlope said:
Is there a Web Developer-like extension for it?
what, precisely, are you looking for? if you click the wrench > tools > developer tools there is a whole bunch of stuff in that window, i'm not sure if it is what you are looking for though

SlipperySlope said:
Another oddity is there's three instances open when I only have one tab open, displaying Neogaf. I wonder what the other two instances do.

Edit - Opening a new tab created a 4th instance. So two of the instances are the two tabs I have open. One of them I guess is the main Chrome instance that runs everything. But there's still one unaccounted for.

do you have any extensions, they are also counted as an instance - everything runs separately, that is one of my favourite features of chrome - if one tab crashes, everything else is fine

if you can't figure it out, google has it's own in-built task manager with much more detail than windows task manager, just hit shift-esc to bring it up

crazy monkey said:
thanks

check out the speed dial extension (link), i tried it, but after some time with it, i decided that I preferred the stock chrome home screen

crazy monkey said:
is there a stop button on top to stop the page from loading and other button like print and something. i did not see them in menu

when a page is loading, the 'reload' button (on the right of 'back' and 'forward') becomes a 'stop' button

DonMigs85

SlipperySlope said:
This is my first time ever using Chrome. It's interesting. The added real estate is good. The extra speed is good. There are some issues though.

I like scrolling with the mouse wheel button click. More convenient for me than going to the scroll bars. This feature needs some work. While it's there, it's really slow. Not just the scrolling speed, but the screen draw speed. It goes like 14 frames per second. Almost like a game where you turn off the hardware acceleration.

Another issue is the Find feature disappears when switching pages.

I've only used it for about 10 minutes, so I haven't dug really deep yet. Is there a Web Developer-like extension for it?
Chrome scrolls perfectly smooth for me in Gaf, Facebook, Wikipedia and many other sites, no different than FF or IE. Maybe try updating your video driver or bios?

Talon

quadriplegicjon said:
How is stability on OSX? Better than 5? I had too many issues with 5, hope this one is better, cause I love the browser.
Never had stability issues with chrome on OS X ever since it's been out of beta.

vazel

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Chrome scrolls perfectly smooth for me in Gaf, Facebook, Wikipedia and many other sites, no different than FF or IE. Maybe try updating your video driver or bios?
Those other browsers have smooth scroll(it's on by default in IE). Chrome doesn't. I think I saw an extension for it for Chrome I don't know how well it works. IE has the best smooth scroll I've tried.

tabsina said:
when a page is loading, the 'reload' button (on the right of 'back' and 'forward') becomes a 'stop' button

thanks. but there is no " no script" add on yet right? I really feel safe using that atlaest .

DonMigs85

vazel said:
Those other browsers have smooth scroll(it's on by default in IE). Chrome doesn't. I think I saw an extension for it for Chrome I don't know how well it works. IE has the best smooth scroll I've tried.
Weird, Chrome looks just as smooth and doesn't stutter for me. I am running Windows 7 though, maybe it's choppier in XP?

D4Danger said:

Awesome. The only thing I felt Chrome has been missing. Any chance you could add a "set as wallpaper" option in there somewhere?

D4Danger said:

You're awesome. :D I was just thinking yesterday if you uploaded it yet and I saw the thread bumped today and you did. Awesome stuff.

Roto13

tabsina said:
the code is only able to highlight threads you've created, rather than threads you've posted in (i believe it just does a search for your username in the appropriate html tags, so it wouldn't be able to see if you've posted in it - though i guess there'd be some way around doing it)
Oh. Well I don't really need this, then. :p *uninstalls*

EDIT: So is there still no DownloadThemAll alternative for Chrome? Apparently the DTA guys say they can't and won't port it over to Chrome.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Outdoor Miner said:
Awesome. The only thing I felt Chrome has been missing. Any chance you could add a "set as wallpaper" option in there somewhere?

I would if I could. The extensions can't communicate with the operating system.

Threi said:
just updated, now shows file size :D

yeah, it's a work in progress.

I thought I'd push this part of it out now since it was working (sort of) and people had asked for it.

--

I had to change the permissions of the extension because it now makes an ajax request so if it's stopped working you just need to go in to the extensions manager and accept the change.

Apath

D4Danger said:

http://i.imgur.com/bHq8f.png

Why Chrome didn't have a feature like this from day one is beyond me. Well done.

Top Bottom