• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a test video of 1080p 60fps video with EIS I did today. I am walking down hill on a cloudy, drizzling day. Please forgive my actual photography. I am the worst. I also wasn't really trying. I just had my hand with my phone out directly in front of me without trying to stabilize it at all.

https://youtu.be/4nhhzfYlxNM

NotBacon

This wouldn't be a problem if you could force an app to open "upside down" from the default, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Anyone have a workaround?

If you don't have rotation lock on, you should be able to just rotate the phone upside down and the screen will rotate with you.

komplanen

Here is a test video of 1080p 60fps video with EIS I did today. I am walking down hill on a cloudy, drizzling day. Please forgive my actual photography. I am the worst. I also wasn't really trying. I just had my hand with my phone out directly in front of me without trying to stabilize it at all.

https://youtu.be/4nhhzfYlxNM

That looks really janky. Shame really they couldn't get proper image stabilization in the phone.

Kerned

Banned
If you don't have rotation lock on, you should be able to just rotate the phone upside down and the screen will rotate with you.

I tried Cook Serve Delicious and Super Hexagon. Both seem to only open in one specific orientation and don't flip when I flip the device.

I have both the XL and regular Pixel and can't for the life of me choose one.

Someone please tell me something I'm not thinking of to get me to decide on one.

Such a hard decision.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Someone please tell me something I'm not thinking of to get me to decide on one.

Such a hard decision.

If you don't mind the size and the extra cost of the XL, I see no reason not to get that.

garath

Used Android pay for the first time today at the grocery store. Awesome. That was so easy. Just hold the phone up and done. Seems more secure too since the credit card uses a mock account number. Either way, the convenience factor is high. Love it.

reKon

Banned

Such a hard decision.

If you don't need to use it one handed often they just go for the bigger. It also looks better because the big bezels are just silly on the smaller version. It seems like the battery life on the bigger one is amazing Very interested in see how close it gets the Exynos S7 Edge which is the Android flagship king. The Pixel might have it beat in battery life and maybe camera performance too.

The one thing that would sell me on getting a bigger Google brand next year if they implemented a one handed mode that Huawei and Samsung has. I don't see why Google can't fucking implemented this already. It's so important of feature to have because people severely limited to on the phones usability in certain certain situations and this would be an easy way to resolve that...

If you don't mind the size and the extra cost of the XL, I see no reason not to get that.

If you don't need to use it one handed often they just go for the bigger. It also looks better because the big bezels are just silly on the smaller version. It seems like the battery life on the bigger one is amazing Very interested in see how close it gets the Exynos S7 Edge which is the Android flagship king. The Pixel might have it beat in battery life and maybe camera performance too.

The one thing that would sell me on getting a bigger Google brand next year if they implemented a one handed mode that Huawei and Samsung has. I don't see why Google can't fucking implemented this already. It's so important of feature to have because people severely limited to on the phones usability in certain certain situations and this would be an easy way to resolve that...

I have big hands and it still just seems big and heavy. Pretty hard to reach the top corners easily.

But I LOVE the big screen.

Cost is not an issue but wanting to hold it up for 30 min is.. I literally have the case of the small one is too small and the large one is too big. The 5x must have ruined me since it's in-between.

uberluigi

Banned
Just ordered the Pixel through project fi, says i should receive it around the 23rd or November :( Hows the battery life compared to the Nexus 5X?

Edit: Do i still get a Daydream for free or is that offer over already?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Such a hard decision.
As a big phone user for a long time, I would consider switching it up to the normal Pixel. But I worry about lesser battery life.

Such a hard decision.

XL. Great battery life and higher res for VR. I'm coming from the Nexus 5, so I had my concerns. Not anymore. I probably can't go back to smaller phones now.

BiggNife

Anyone with a non-XL Pixel have impressions on battery life? Has it made it to the end of your work day?

Battery life is the only thing that is making me consider a XL over the regular Pixel.

Faddy

Banned
OIS can't compensate that much for the position changes that come from walking, can it? I thought it was more for better long exposure shots.

For walking about stabilisation doesn't really help at all to make smooth video. Eventually the scene changes too much and the camera has to adjust.

In this video they are using a camera bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMS1CjTNN0s
and it still gives a really janky video no matter OIS or EIS.

What it is useful for is taking jitter out of deliberate camera moves like a sweeping panorama or tracking shot. And the difference between OIS and EIS for video seems very small

taco543

Got lucky and ordered the pixel xl 128gb black, was watching black mirror and thought I'd see if I can order and I could.

Red

Seriously considering buying a Pixel XL from the Google store tonight. I'm sick and tired of waiting for an iPhone 7 Plus to come in stock at any of the Apple stores within a five hour drive. I can't start an iPhone upgrade program on T-Mobile except by buying in-store, and unless there is stock present at the time they will not let me initiate a purchase (no reservations). The Pixel looks great, and I prefer Chrome to Safari on mobile devices. The camera looks excellent. Battery life is good. Google Assistant is a much more versatile digital partner than Siri. The screen looks superb, and the Daydream support is sure to be best in class. But I would lose iMessage, which I really enjoy, and would give up easy access to my shared iOS photo albums. I'd also lose access to my iOS purchases, many of which i use regularly. The Pixel is a convincing argument for me to go back to Android. The lack of 7 Plus stock is another one. I'm trying to hold off hitting the buy button because I'm in a state of heightened frustration right now, and want to wait til I cool off. But man does the Pixel give me some tech envy.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I got over to Verizon today to grab the pixel by the chin.
It has a good hand feel and felt lighter than my 5x. It is a tad bit smaller which I enjoy because I hate how huge phones are becoming.

I can see the Pixel being my next phone. The blue color was really nice and eye catching. I would prefer a shiny red one maybe they will make more colors? I'm not going to be upgrading for a while though. I don't mind at all waiting for a few price drops.

As a big phone user for a long time, I would consider switching it up to the normal Pixel. But I worry about lesser battery life.

I'm hitting 4 hrs SOT no sweat on the regular Pixel and was getting 2 on the 5x. Why would you like to switch to a smaller size?

reKon

Banned
Google just really needs to add a one handed mode and I think it would help a lot in situations where you have to use it one handed (driving/ public transit if you've in the city like me).

Triple tap for one handed mode on the S7 series was brilliant IMO. Stock Android is almost there for me. Just missing this feature just like they were with split screen, which I even like better than Samsung's implementation.

Seriously considering buying a Pixel XL from the Google store tonight. I'm sick and tired of waiting for an iPhone 7 Plus to come in stock at any of the Apple stores within a five hour drive. I can't start an iPhone upgrade program on T-Mobile except by buying in-store, and unless there is stock present at the time they will not let me initiate a purchase (no reservations). The Pixel looks great, and I prefer Chrome to Safari on mobile devices. The camera looks excellent. Battery life is good. Google Assistant is a much more versatile digital partner than Siri. The screen looks superb, and the Daydream support is sure to be best in class. But I would lose iMessage, which I really enjoy, and would give up easy access to my shared iOS photo albums. I'd also lose access to my iOS purchases, many of which i use regularly. The Pixel is a convincing argument for me to go back to Android. The lack of 7 Plus stock is another one. I'm trying to hold off hitting the buy button because I'm in a state of heightened frustration right now, and want to wait til I cool off. But man does the Pixel give me some tech envy.

If you get the Pixel, download the Google Rewards app and make some easier money to you use towards app purchases. Perhaps you can recover what you bought on iOS. Since getting it, I've earned over $60 in credit and have gotten all the apps I need with $8 to spare. If turned location history off months ago, but if I had left it on, I would have probably had over $15 in credits.

reKon

Banned
if you hold down enter on the keyboard you can toggle one handed mode. the arrows let you switch which side it's on.

I mean full screen one handed more. It's really hard to reach to the top of the notifications bar when holding one handed. See for example below from my phone:

N4fL9n3.png

Klotera

As far as photos, you can move your stuff to Google Photos, which is a pretty fantastic platform. You can pretty easily share albums for viewing and/or collaboration. Plus, Google Photos is multiplatform anyway, so regardless of whether you are iOS or Android, you can use it. Great bonus feature of the Pixel phone is free unlimited original quality storage in Google Photos (including 4K video).

Draper

I am absolutely right there with you- I've decided to dive in. I'm going to miss iMessage, but the positive to look at is being able to set up your own default apps. I've heard good things about Whatsapp so I may try that.

Also in defense of the larger screen: split screen baby!

Edit: Also I have a 7 Plus on order for mid-November. If I'm fully won over by the Pixel, I'll cancel in a weeks time, if not, I'll let the order go through and return the Pixel.

We'll see.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm hitting 4 hrs SOT no sweat on the regular Pixel and was getting 2 on the 5x. Why would you like to switch to a smaller size?
Frankly, just to change it up. And pocketability. I don't particularly use my 6P screen for anything a big screen needs. However, I've considered again and maybe I'd stick with the XL. Better battery and better use of multi-window. Which, frankly, I don't use often enough.

I mean full screen one handed more. It's really hard to reach to the top of the notifications bar when holding one handed. See for example below from my phone:

Why would you need to reach up when you can swipe the fingerprint sensor to open the notification shade?

Struggling with if I should buy the Pixel XL or use my iPhone 7 for a while... I still haven't received it and at this point, if I order the xl, it'd probably be here faster than the 7 and I can't take the wait anymore. I got to play with one in the Verizon store and it was amazing. It's a lot smaller in my hand than the 6P and I like, need this phone... 😭😭😭

snacknuts

we all knew her
Struggling with if I should buy the Pixel XL or use my iPhone 7 for a while... I still haven't received it and at this point, if I order the xl, it'd probably be here faster than the 7 and I can't take the wait anymore. I got to play with one in the Verizon store and it was amazing. It's a lot smaller in my hand than the 6P and I like, need this phone... 😭😭😭

Order the Pixel. You get a better phone and you get it sooner. I don't see the dilemma. :)

reKon

Banned

You can wait for more Pixel XL review, bit it's looking like the camera is going to be just as good as the S7 and iPhone 7 Plus, but with better life than the iPhone 7 Plus. Unless there are particular iOS apps that you must have, I would say go Pixel XL. I mean unlimited photo storage and latest version of Android, which has been clearly be improved...

reKon

Banned
Just say "OK Google" and you can add a stop without touching your phone, is really easy and works really well

I need to actually use the phone itself if I'm trying to figure out which gas station if I'm driving between states. Like I may want to stop at a cheaper gas station that isn't too much of detour.The other common thing is when I need to change music within sound cloud or google music app (I would typically do this at a traffic light or when traffic is terrible). It's just way easier to navigate with the phone, do what I need, and be done with it.

Anyone know if Google plans to have more stores (online or retail) carry the phone?
they're gonna have a bunch of pop-up stores for their stuff but I haven't seen a list of upcoming locations. I except they'll ramp up as we approach black Friday.

reKon

Banned
I wish that Moto store that was put up in Chicago was a Google store instead.

But to be fair, those Lenovo flagship phones have gotten good reviews.

I finally dropped the Note 7 (RIP) and activated the XL this morning. I'm having a hard time adjusting coming from the Note 3, note 7 and now this phone. I find myself pressing hard toward the bottom only to remember there is no physical button.
Not sure how I feel about the phone yet. I like it and don't. If Samsung offers the whole Note 8 exchange for Note 7 owners for next year then I'll switch to the S7 asap.

you'll get used to the soft button. I had a similar problem when I switched from the iPhone 3GS to the motorola atrix. the bonus is it's one less thing that can break.

Laekon

You can wait for more Pixel XL review, bit it's looking like the camera is going to be just as good as the S7 and iPhone 7 Plus, but with better life than the iPhone 7 Plus. Unless there are particular iOS apps that you must have, I would say go Pixel XL. I mean unlimited photo storage and latest version of Android, which has been clearly be improved...
The only review I've seen with an actual battery test (Ars Technical) showed the 7+ lasting 2 hours longer than the XL on a web browsing test. There was another poster here that said they got 4 hours of screen time which doesn't seem all that great.

I'm hoping to get to Best Buy today and see them. I've been trying to decide on the S7 or iPhone 7 but the Pixel might replace the S7 in that decision. Battery life and lack of ois are my main concerns.

ArchAngel

The only review I've seen with an actual battery test (Ars Technical) showed the 7+ lasting 2 hours longer than the XL on a web browsing test. There was another poster here that said they got 4 hours of screen time which doesn't seem all that great.

The Verge review mentions longer battery than the iPhone. I always get between 6- 71/2h battery life since launch :)

My replacement XL arrives tomorrow. I know my Google-luck, so I think this display will be worse than the first one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom