• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
The Verge review mentions longer battery than the iPhone. I always get between 6- 71/2h battery life since launch :)

My replacement XL arrives tomorrow. I know my Google-luck, so I think this display will be worse than the first one ;)

ah that AMOLED display lottery

The only review I've seen with an actual battery test (Ars Technical) showed the 7+ lasting 2 hours longer than the XL on a web browsing test. There was another poster here that said they got 4 hours of screen time which doesn't seem all that great.

I'm hoping to get to Best Buy today and see them. I've been trying to decide on the S7 or iPhone 7 but the Pixel might replace the S7 in that decision. Battery life and lack of ois are my main concerns.

you're probably fine then because lack of OIS surprisingly hasn't been an issue. Check the camera reviews from multiple sites. I would wait on Anandtech's and GSM Arena's battery tests. I think that those are the best for accurate representations based on my personal experience in terms of relative not actual performance in comparing phones.

Phone Arena has the worst relative comparisons. I have no idea how the fuck they get the results they get on their tests.

Laekon

The Verge review mentions longer battery than the iPhone. I always get between 6- 71/2h battery life since launch :)

My replacement XL arrives tomorrow. I know my Google-luck, so I think this display will be worse than the first one ;)
They mention it but don't actually test it. You got 6+ hours of screen time for how many days? It launched a week ago.

ArchAngel

They mention it but don't actually test it. You got 6+ hours of screen time for how many days? It launched a week ago.

Every day. With a little gaming it's more 6h, without it's 7+ to me. But SoT differs for every person. Some are happy with 4h, others easily get 6. Not a good measurement imo ^^

My S7 Edge's battery life has been pretty disappointing so far. It's noticably worse than my old Xperia Z2. Kinda wish I'd waited for this now.

Has anyone used the data migration tool, does it transfer 2FA apps like Google Authenticator over without the need for additional setup?

Can the data transfer tool be accessed later if you skip it on setup?

Thanks

Has anyone used the data migration tool, does it transfer 2FA apps like Google Authenticator over without the need for additional setup?

Thanks

As far as I remember, it doesn't transfer apps. Just music, photos, videos, etc.

And, yes, you can do it later by just connecting the cable between the two devices.

Thanks

From an iPhone to Android? It does not transfer apps for that.. Just contacts, photos, music, etc. Apps are different between the two devices. I think you'll have to set 2FA apps up again.

If you have an existing Android phone, you should be able to login with the same account as your old phone and everything will transfer over from Google's magical cloud.

From an iPhone to Android? It does not transfer apps for that.. Just contacts, photos, music, etc. Apps are different between the two devices. I think you'll have to set 2FA apps up again.

If you have an existing Android phone, you should be able to login with the same account as your old phone and everything will transfer over from Google's magical cloud.

It will be from Android Nexus 5 to a pixel so hopefully it works. Would be nice to not require additional setup for 2FA apps.

On Android, your app data is backed up to your Google account by default, so when you login, the phone will start to install the same apps that you've had on your latest phone. I'm unsure about the 2FA though. I have Google Authenticator installed on my Nexus 6 and the Pixel is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll let you know

thespot84

authy is a great 2fa replacement that handles multiple accounts and multiple devices, so you don't have to deal with transferring tokens or anything like that (kinda like lastpass in that it's a cloud service)

kswiston

I have been on Samsung phones for the past 4-5 years. If Samsung doesn't start putting more effort into things, I might pick up the 2nd or 3rd version of Pixel (assuming it makes it that far) when my S7 Edge is off contract.

Trying to figure out what I can and can't do with assistant. Is this supposed to be the same assistant that will be in Google Home next week, aka, should I be able to control my Nest, Wemo Switches and play music from Google Music on various Chromcasts / Chromecast Audios around my house? Right now it hasn't been able to do really any of the hardware interactions I've tried to do.

This does not work.

Anyone with a non-XL Pixel have impressions on battery life? Has it made it to the end of your work day?

Battery life is the only thing that is making me consider a XL over the regular Pixel.

Can confirm that the battery life on the regular Pixel is amazing. Best out of any (smart) phone I've had. Even better than the Sony Z3.

Left home at 6:30am today, full day at work with medium usage - including using it to make PDF files with camscanner, just got home (8pm) with 43% battery left.
Yesterday I left the house at 5:30am for work, hammered it and even did a few hours using it as a WiFi hotspot - didn't get home until 9:30pm and had 20 odd percent left.

I don't even feel the need to take my charger to work anymore.

Sky Chief

Trying to figure out what I can and can't do with assistant. Is this supposed to be the same assistant that will be in Google Home next week, aka, should I be able to control my Nest, Wemo Switches and play music from Google Music on various Chromcasts / Chromecast Audios around my house? Right now it hasn't been able to do really any of the hardware interactions I've tried to do.

This does not work.

No, the Home Assistant has different capabilities. I assume (hope) this will all merge soon. I think I read that the Chromecast app is being updated soon to allow for these things and remember the Home is a Castable device too.

Kreed

Thanks

The Standard Google Authenticator app does not transfer over/you have to set it up all over again from scratch.

killroy87

I love this phone su damn much. I admit, it's my first Android phone so I don't have much of a frame of reference, but while there was an initial learning curve, each day I feel more and more like I could never go back.

Has anyone bought one from Google and successfully activated it on Verizon?

I know they are a bit of a pain about that stuff. I remember reading it was hard to get the 5X and 6P working. I know they're selling it this time so thats a change but I wouldn't put it past them to make it difficult if you don't buy it from Verizon.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I know they are a bit of a pain about that stuff. I remember reading it was hard to get the 5X and 6P working. I know they're selling it this time so thats a change but I wouldn't put it past them to make it difficult if you don't buy it from Verizon.

Yep, popped the sim out of my Moto X, into the Pixel, and I was done. Zero issues, shows up on the website as "PIXEL NON-VZW." Was able to activate HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, Basic Visual Voicemail, the whole shebang.

I did the same thing as Tathanen with the sim out of an iPhone 6 and it worked fine. Was up in running in a few minutes. It did take a few hours before it let me turn on WiFi calling for whatever reason.

So Google Assistant was rewritten from scratch? I would think it would be easy to import features. This phone sounds cool but I might hold off until version 2 or at least until all these things get sorted out into one search tool and one messaging app. Haha.

By this mentality, you will wait forever. There is no such thing a complete software. Software is always evolving and getting better with time.

andthebeatgoeson

Yep, popped the sim out of my Moto X, into the Pixel, and I was done. Zero issues, shows up on the website as "PIXEL NON-VZW." Was able to activate HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, Basic Visual Voicemail, the whole shebang.

Thanks for letting me know. Don't have to call them or anything?

rc213

www.xtremeguard.com

Have screen protectors for the Pixel phones. They have HD Film dry install, Wet install films and Tempered Glass versions. Be aware they can take several revisions to get the fit just right but their customer service has never failed me in giving me a new one from the newest revision until I was satisfied.

Picked up 2 Wet Install, 1 Tempered and a HD Film for $6 using code Giant92.

Draper

This phone is terrible when it comes to ignoring unintended touches on the sides of the screen. It's way too sensitive. My skin will slightly touch the screen as I'm reaching over with my thumb to touch something, and it goes berserk.

killroy87

This phone is terrible when it comes to ignoring unintended touches on the sides of the screen. It's way too sensitive. My skin will slightly touch the screen as I'm reaching over with my thumb to touch something, and it goes berserk.

Yeah, I've noticed that too

Is there any setting for battery charging indicator? I can only tell it's charging when I turn on the phone to see the tiny lightening on the battery.

I miss my Note 7

Since activating the phone earlier today, it's a pretty simple phone. I do wish it had more customizable features. Also comparing the way the camera lighting is with this phone and my wife's S7 hers looked better, brighter. I did move the lighting around to adjust but nothing compared.

Well I guess this is my phone for the next 2+ years. Hopefully it's all I've needed. Changed my keyboard to black with no borders, looks cool.

Edit. I forgot to mention I can already tell the battery life is waay better than Note 7

garath

Had a heavy use day yesterday for my XL and was very impressed with the battery. Went to bed an it was at 18% battery but I had 6.5 hours of screen on time. 3 hours of that was playing granblue fantasy and another hour of it was watching twitch.

Really hard to complain about that.

Alpha_eX

I have a free upgrade and I might jump from the S7 Edge to the Pixel, yay or nay?

Sounds like you're considering a free downgrade.

The Pixel is much faster in terms on general usage, no lag noticed when playing around with it, but you loose the premium device feel, an SD card slot (yes free PICTURE storage, what about apps) and then it's no longer water proof.

As an S7 owner, I was thinking of getting the Pixel but after playing around with both models, they seem basic. The only good thing about it, in my opinion, was how zippy it was.

The Pixel is much faster in terms on general usage, no lag noticed when playing around with it, but you loose the premium device feel, an SD card slot (yes free PICTURE storage, what about apps) and then it's no longer water proof.

As an S7 owner, I was thinking of getting the Pixel but after playing around with both models, they seem basic. The only good thing about it, in my opinion, was how zippy it was.

No arguments with the lack of SD card and waterproofing, but lack of "premium device feel" I would take issue with.

Alpha_eX

No arguments with the lack of SD card and waterproofing, but lack of "premium device feel" I would take issue with.

I respect that, and it's mostly down to personal preference, but holding both side-by-side, it's the Pixel that feels like the £500 phone, not a £700 one.

It's a nice phone, not saying it's bad, just basic for the price tag which is higher than the S7.

GtwoK

AAAAHHHHHH, mine wasn't supposed to ship out until NOVEMBER 29th, but just got an email saying it should be here tomorrow! Unexpected surprise! 😀

Can't wait to trash my OP1

Crap, now I don't know what to do.

andthebeatgoeson

I like it. Love the battery save when the phone is not moving. Charged it up and disconnected it from the charger. Only dropped 3% over 5 hours. I need that.

The blue looks better than the pictures. I'll stress this phone today. Finally have all my apps running. Set up most of my screens. Even tried a live wallpaper. Those things eat up your battery, right? If it does, I'll switch. I know it's a bad idea but that earth view wallpaper looks amazing.

And every app needs a finger print authorization. I'm tired of logging in.

Laekon

I like it. Love the battery save when the phone is not moving. Charged it up and disconnected it from the charger. Only dropped 3% over 5 hours. I need that.

The blue looks better than the pictures. I'll stress this phone today. Finally have all my apps running. Set up most of my screens. Even tried a live wallpaper. Those things eat up your battery, right? If it does, I'll switch. I know it's a bad idea but that earth view wallpaper looks amazing.

And every app needs a finger print authorization. I'm tired of logging in.
Doze was a feature of 6.0. The newer version in 7.0, for shorter periods of time, doesn't seem to work.

Klotera

I have a free upgrade and I might jump from the S7 Edge to the Pixel, yay or nay?

I made that same jump and am happy with it (and I even paid to upgrade). The device feels so speedy and responsive. I also just really prefer Google's vision of Android to TouchWiz. I also like not being six months behind on OS updates (which is even more inexcusable this time given how early Google released the preview version of 7.0 to give developers a head start). The guaranteed and timely updates will actually allow me to stick with this phone longer.

I do miss wireless charging, waterproofing is less of a concern for me.

does the screen turn on when you wave your hand over it?

ive never had a phone without a physical home button, and im considering getting this to replace my dying galaxy s5

does the screen turn on when you wave your hand over it?

ive never had a phone without a physical home button, and im considering getting this to replace my dying galaxy s5

nope. but it fully opens up and unlocks with a fingerprint read even when the screen is off.

nope. but it fully opens up and unlocks with a fingerprint read even when the screen is off.

yeah, that's cool, but i keep my phone flat on the table a lot and im just wondering how i would turn the screen on when it's like that lol
pressing the power button seems kind of awkward in that position

Socreges

Banned
There has been such a big narrative push that this is just like the iPhone but running Android. That finally there's a worthy Android! What is so unprecedented about this phone but for the fact that Google is apparently the manufacturer and that the price point is Apple territory?

I'm sure there are some differences but it all reads like Google strongly encouraging these sites to reference the iPhone to try and pull away Apple users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom