• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

What's up with the Ambient Display in the Pixel? don't think it's ever went off when I pick it up so i'm assuming they've disabled it from doing that now?

Also the notification and ringtones kinda suck :S came from the OP3 to it.

JambiBum

You can't remove it on the stock Pixel Launcher, but I would suggest that you give Nova or most of all Action a spin — they're just infinitely better launchers, which would indeed allow you to get rid of it.

As far as the toggles go, I'm not sure you'll find the one you're looking for, but this app could help.

EDIT_ Forget it; I got it all wrong. If you want them to show up in the main bar, you just need to drag them in the top panel (swipe down twice, then hit the pencil icon at the top right) and make sure that it's one of the first six. That app still has more tiles you can add, though.
I used Nova on my note 4 and loved it but I wanted to give the pixel launcher a shot first before I possibly switched. So far I like it but the google widget while small is kind of annoying. Also I just missed the dumb pencil icon, thanks for that.

Also even after turning on the notification light it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It's not that big of a deal but I'd still like it if it worked :(.

Hey all, does anyone have any case suggestions? I'm currently working as an Electrician and find myself out in the field under some pretty hectic work conditions and cracked the screen on my old iPhone. I just bought a Pixel XL and don't want to fuck this one up so I'd like to get a good case. I'd prefer as low profile as possible as to not have such a big phone already be bigger. Any suggestions?

highrider

Banned
Hey all, does anyone have any case suggestions? I'm currently working as an Electrician and find myself out in the field under some pretty hectic work conditions and cracked the screen on my old iPhone. I just bought a Pixel XL and don't want to fuck this one up so I'd like to get a good case. I'd prefer as low profile as possible as to not have such a big phone already be bigger. Any suggestions?

Get to know Flossy Carter.

https://youtu.be/GE0FTLdw_V0

Husker86

You can switch to sRGB mode, but it just makes things look desaturated and even more yellow, like some gritty movie.

Also, I really like the Pixel Launcher, but I wish there was a way to remove the dock. I never use it, and the ability to swipe up from it to see apps is nice, but an empty dock doesn't need to be taking up that much of the screen.
You don't want to put apps in that area?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What's up with the Ambient Display in the Pixel? don't think it's ever went off when I pick it up so i'm assuming they've disabled it from doing that now?

Ha, I love the sounds except the default alarm sign.

JambiBum

Does anyone know if you can change what contacts you show/hide in the pixel launcher? I have a lot of junk contacts that I usually just hide but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

Mr. Hyde

So it's apparently just a credit if you buy a pixel and apply it to a T-MobileOne plan, they credit you $325

What is T-Mobile one? I have an unlimited plan for my wife and I, but I have no idea what that plan is. I will definitely jump on the phone if I'm eligible.

Edit: Bah. It seems like you have to sign up for tmobile to get this incentive. Current users are screwed on this, it seems.

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah, they do. Rring rrring!

I can't believe i picked that one.

I turned off ambient display because it doesn't work and i want more battery.

Never had a finger print scanner and I'm never going back. It could be a flip phone with a text based web browser for all i care.

Argyle

If you login to Authenticator app from another authenticated device (eg, your old phone or a computer that's verified), you can copy the QR code from there. That's what I did with mine... Had my computer there and took a photo fo the QR code offthe screen.

Can you clarify? I don't see how you can get the QR codes back out of the Authenticator app.

Wollan

This is actually my first time experiencing USB Type-C.

giphy.gif

OmegaFax

Can you clarify? I don't see how you can get the QR codes back out of the Authenticator app.

You can't. If the phone is rooted, you can use TitaniumBackup to get it out of your phone and transfer it to another rooted device. Authy is the way to go if you want to use multiple devices for 2-step.

effzee

So this might be a dumb question but I just got the pixel and tried to use the sim card from my s5 to put into the pixel except the sim is too big for the tray the phone uses.

I have to take it to my carrier to get it fixed? Do they give me a new resized sim?

So this might be a dumb question but I just got the pixel and tried to use the sim card from my s5 to put into the pixel except the sim is too big for the tray the phone uses.

I have to take it to my carrier to get it fixed? Do they give me a new resized sim?

There are a couple options.. one you could search online to get a sim cutter.. to cut your larger sim down to nano sim size, or you can go to your carrier and tell them you need a nano sim to go into your new phone and they should be able to give you a nano sim with your number on it.

Some people cut their sims but when I got my 6P I just went into my Verizon store and asked for a Nano Sim. They were surprised I even knew the name and got me a new one in a matter of minutes.

Myself and at least a couple others here were approved instantaneously. Not sure what factors are in play aside from credit score..

Thanks for the heads up! Hmm, my credit's good but it did prompt me to approve a phone number to text to that I didn't recognize so it had me go through a couple more steps and said I'd get a word in a week or so.

kelik

Has anyone applied for and gotten financing from Google? I applied last week and still haven't heard either way.

I did my pre-order through financing and got approved pretty much on the spot. I would assume they give approvals based on how other credit cards/financing stuff go: Rent/House payments, Income, and Credit Score.

Ordered the regular Pixel today and it should be here before the weekend kicks off. I'm pretty excited as its the first phone I've ever purchased that wasn't at least 3 years old!

megalowho

24 hours with my Pixel, so far so good. Took to the fingerprint scanner/notification scroller on the back of the phone immediately, it just feels right.

OS is super smooth, battery life is great, camera is great and I like the way the 5" model sits in my hand. Not the sexiest design but solid and classy. I do miss the hand wave actions on the Moto X but everything else is a clear upgrade. Happy with my purchase, gonna set up Project Fi this weekend and see how that goes.

garath

Battery continues to impress. 7 hours of screen on time with my XL yesterday with 2 hours in granblue fantasy and an hour in twitch. Rest was general browsing, Kindle reading and stuff.

That left me at 13%. Charged it for 15 min and was back up to 45 or so. Really really nice.

JambiBum

Does anyone know if there's a way to get assistant to play music in a playlist in google play instead of just random radio stations or a certain album/song? Whenever I tell it to play something it just plays a station I don't want to listen to.

andthebeatgoeson

Any other screen/tempered glass recommendations? Grabbed the case and just need a tempered glass. The clear case is needed for this beautiful blue phone.

It is big (xl) and tough to use one handed. But this screen is worth it.

I'm about to upgrade and it's between this and the 7+. I prefer android but I've never really used apple phones that much. The only thing really giving me pause on the pixel is the lack of water resistance. I feel like a top end phone should have that.

There's talk online that the phone is water resistant but that Google didn't get the water resistant certification for it because they were on a quicker development schedule.

A few videos online have shown complete water immersion and the phone has worked fine. Still, I'm not going to go dunk my phone in a glass of water to try it out... but still.

Can any one with a Pixel confirm this regarding memory management?

I haven't seen that at all and all week streamed bluetooth for an hour driving to work each day, and I had the phone in my phone holder thing in my car turned off. There is a battery saver mode which you can toggle that maybe might do this, but that's only for when yoru battery is almost dead and you just need basics.

My battery life has been good too... I don't know how this stocks up against new phones, but full days use (15 and 17 hours respestively), and looks like it would get about 35 hours:

2rYNrcY.png

kcfPL8j.png

I'm pretty conservative with my phone use though, but FWIW, my Nexus 6 and iPhone 5 always needed to be charged by the time I got home from work.

Is there a way to clear everything without having to x or swipe right to close background apps?
Anyone else find their connection via wifi to be pretty slow?

Fatalah

I can confirm that it's more likely that the app that guy is using is not using the Android API properly.

I remember on my 5X last year, I had to disable Doze mode for PocketCasts to autodownload podcasts.

I believe Marshmallow introduced doze, so apps were playing catch-up.

I've been streaming bluetooth from my Android and iPhones for 5 years, and I've never seen them kill an app under any normal circumstances. I stream podcasts every day driving to and from work for an hour, stream music at home.

I exchanged my Verizon Note 7 for a Pixel XL preorder on the 13th, it had yet to ship and I just figured it was a stock issue. I called support a 2nd time -- the first time (a week ago) they told they had no clue and it was probably due to lack of stock -- and the new person told me my order was on hold, the payment hadn't gone through because I entered my ccv wrong. I never got any email or indication about it, even online it just said "processing". It'd be kinda useful to know that my order was on hold, Verizon.

Mine is finally arriving Monday, i'm excited! I won't wake up every morning feeling glad that my phone didn't explode and kill me in my sleep.

So on Tuesday I ordered the 128GB Pixel XL in white as part of my upgrade with EE, they neglected to tell me that I wouldn't get it until the end of November.

Switched to the black version and I'll have it Monday.

Is there a way to clear everything without having to x or swipe right to close background apps?
I don't have a Pixel, but if it's the same as the Nexus, then no. Edit: guess there is, see next post. I stand by what I say below though.

You shouldn't do this anyway. I heard that closing all your apps all the time hurts battery life because it costs a lot of energy to reopen them when you forget (unconfirmed though). Anyway, you should just leave them open and let the phone manage things on its own -- it should be more efficient that way. It will close old apps when it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom