• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Oddduck

Fox released this image to promote Season 3.

tumblr_oadbghjxQs1qelwp5o1_1280.jpg

Oddduck

Here is the press release's description for Gotham's Mad Hatter:

DC villain Jervis Tetch is a talented hypnotist teetering on the edge of madness. He arrives in Gotham with an unwavering desire to find his sister, Alice, a young woman who went missing in the city years ago. It is anyone’s guess just how far down the rabbit hole he’s willing to go in order to find her.

Sounds like an interesting twist on the character.

VanWinkle

It just feels weird to me to have all of these established villains way before Bruce Wayne becomes Batman. I'm not sure if I like it.

It just feels weird to me to have all of these established villains way before Bruce Wayne becomes Batman. I'm not sure if I like it.

Freeze is the only one ruining it for me atm.(and Dent but they kept him away enough this season)
And Freeze's initial appearance was fine but the reappearances were the problem.

Kuros

Freeze is the only one ruining it for me atm.(and Dent but they kept him away enough this season)
And Freeze's initial appearance was fine but the reappearances were the problem.

The same thing happened with Smallville.

The Blur had defeated everyone before he ever became Superman.

Knowing that we're never going to see Batman in Gotham continuity (at least I think that's the plan isn't it?) I just go with it.

Oddduck

In the comics, Batman's existence creates the villains. But in this show's universe, the villains create the need for Batman's existence.

Personally, I love it because it's a new twist on the mythology.

VanWinkle

In the comics, Batman's existence creates the villains. But in this show's universe, the villains create the need for Batman's existence.

The problem, in my mind, is this: if these villains are able to exist in Gotham for YEARS without a superhero dealing with them, what is the use of Batman?

Veelk

Banned
The problem, in my mind, is this: if these villains are able to exist in Gotham for YEARS without a superhero dealing with them, what is the use of Batman?
As far as I know, none of the villain's inherent goals are to try to end the existence of Gotham. It's to harm the people of Gotham. The people of Gotham can be harmed without them being wiped out of the face of the earth. Even Joker rarely seems to want to actually destroy Gotham for good, as opposed to proving some grand point to Batman in particular or atleast just causing some random act of destruction.

Lots of things that are bad can continuously harm you and without killing you.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I think this interpretation is that Gotham itself is creating the villains. The corruption and crime is an ouroboros and feeds itself forever and always. Batman is like a dam that temporarily contains the flood. When you think about it, Batman has no end game. Crime will always exist, so he'll just fight it as long as he can. The fear of Batman might discourage lesser criminals from acting, at the very least. So I think his existence is still justified.

You could look at it on the show as Gotham being what creates these things,
Batman is just the rare case of it going the opposite direction, however he then inspires a large group of people himself on that side.

Similar to how Gotham actually means something to Bruce, his parents and Gordon.
On the other hand all of Batman's sidekicks care more about the general heroics than redeeming Gotham itself.

Oddduck

Here's the big challenge for this show.

In both Seasons 1 and 2, Gordon and Bullock have been able to deal with most of the bad guys. But the show needs to eventually reach a point where crime becomes too much for Gordon and Bullock to handle by themselves. It needs to reach a point where there's so many criminals on the streets that Gordon and Bullock end up losing all hope.

As crazy as Season 2 was, we still haven't reached that point yet where things feel completely hopeless for Gotham City.

Zaverious

Comic Con Season 3 Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokEThBT5eU

Made a thread on it last night but no responses.Thought this was a good place for it.

No new footage until the last 30 seconds. I assume that is a Talon at the end. Some people have been saying Green Hornet but I think that is very unlikely.

Confirmed villains so far from footage and interviews:
Mad Hatter
Court of Owls
Talon
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
Solomon Grundy

This isn't actually the case atm. The villains begin to appear largely simultaneously with Batman; not because of him, but stemming from the same root cause.

Comic Con Season 3 Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokEThBT5eU

Made a thread on it last night but no responses.Thought this was a good place for it.

No new footage until the last 30 seconds. I assume that is a Talon at the end. Some people have been saying Green Hornet but I think that is very unlikely.

Confirmed villains so far from footage and interviews:
Mad Hatter
Court of Owls
Talon
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
Solomon Grundy

hmmmmm

Just saw that season 3 trailer, which showed more old scenes than new scenes. Sadly we see Fish again as well and it seems pretty clear she will be a central character again. Why exactly? Are there more supporters of this character compared to the ones who are against it? After how Season 2 went downhill in the later episodes, I am not holding my breath for season 3 yet.

Alpende

Just saw that season 3 trailer, which showed more old scenes than new scenes. Sadly we see Fish again as well and it seems pretty clear she will be a central character again. Why exactly? Are there more supporters of this character compared to the ones who are against it? After how Season 2 went downhill in the later episodes, I am not holding my breath for season 3 yet.

Pls no.

Hagi

Fish is a horrible character, they bring in all these new villains just to retread with the same old bullshit. Ugh Hugo Strange better be amazing.

Veelk

Banned
I've been seeing people bitch about her for basically two years, and I've yet to hear a specific reason why she's bad. It's just the usual "ughfdga she so annooooying" complaint that expresses a dislike, but gives no reason why.

I've been seeing people bitch about her for basically two years, and I've yet to hear a specific reason why she's bad. It's just the usual "ughfdga she so annooooying" complaint that expresses a dislike, but gives no reason why.

Wait, I'm reconsidering my position in light of the fact that Veelk agrees with me.

Alright, Fish wins. But only just.

So with Superman able to show up completely on Supergirl it had me wondering about interesting ways Gotham could use Batman instead of just a time jump episode.

And something I landed on that i'd actually love to see is Bruce's subconscious.
You'd have a shadowy figure(Batman's silhouette) sitting in a dark cave talking to Bruce.

It would start out filmed in 3rd person and 1st person from Bruce's perspective, most of Batman's dialog would use "we" initially.
Slowly over the course of the show Bruce is visible/noticeable less and less in these subconscious scenes and Batman begins using "I"s and "me"s.
Finally these scenes can become 1st person from Batman's perspective.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So no Joker on Season 3?

Penguin

First look at the aged up Poison Ivy

poisonivyjpg-a2d842_765w.jpg

The show announced back in June that relative newcomer Maggie Geha would be replacing Clare Foley as Ivy Pepper, and now, we have your first look at Geha's Ivy, whose sudden growth spurt will apparently be triggered by a run-in with an escaped monster from Indian Hill.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So the show will come back after a few years from the last season ending?

Platy

No, not creepy AT ALL to have a grown up woman with the mind of a 13 year old.

Nope, not even a little bit pedophilic

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
No, not creepy AT ALL to have a grown up woman with the mind of a 13 year old.

Nope, not even a little bit pedophilic
Yep, said the same thing in this thread when she was announced as the new Ivy. Kid mind in an adult body that's all about seducing men as her main ability.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do we even know it'll be her 13 year old self inside this aged body? I'm pretty sure she will have grown up mentally as well.

How do you grow mentally in what I presume is a couple hours or days? An adult is a result of acquired experiences. Unless she brain swaps with someone that's not even a thing.

Pachimari

Come on, Gotham is fiction and has many things and creatures going on. I wouldn't be surprised if she have "grown up" mentally too in the show. But let's wait and see.

Boke1879

IN this show. I would not be shocked if she's "grown up" mentally as well. I mean we literally had a villain in Season 2 that convinced people they were something else.

Pachimari

It has been revealed that a proto Killer Croc will appear this season. And that Harley Quinn (or the forerunner to her) will appear, "but maybe not this season."

The first footage has also been released.

Oh another thing is, that the cult of Joker will "extend and deepen" in season 3 and they have more plans for that if there is to be a fourth season. We are also going to see a proto version of Solomon Grundy.

TVline writes about it here.

Top Bottom