• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta Protectors (Protect Me Knight 2) - 3DS eShop |OT| DEFEAT F$%KIN' GOBLINS!

WVW69jcSjAwbqn5w1z

After almost two years of rubbing and waiting since the Japanese release......

This is out TODAY in North America (Europe pending).

Price is $12.99, FM Soundtrack DLC (coming soon) is $7.99.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbM3Q-3COkM

It's a MASSIVELY expanded sequel to the XBLIG classic. One hundred levels, four difficulties, more characters, added RPG elements, map editor with QR codes, four-player co-op via Download Play (ie: only one copy needed), and more.

The soundtrack is by Yuzo Kohriso (Ys, Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey) with the following guests:

Hiroshi Kawaguchi a.k.a. Hiro. (Outrun, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, After Burner, Shenmue)

Shinji Hosoe (Dragon Spirit, Ridge Racer, Tekken)

Hisayoshi Ogura a.k.a. OGR (Darius series, Ninja Warriors, Legend of Kage)

Motoaki Furukawa (Gradius series, Castlevania; Rondo of Blood, Policenauts)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

jluedtke

Thanks for pointing this out! I'd never even heard of this game until now. And...heading to the eShop!

EDIT: It's listed, but I'm not able to purchase. It just says "Coming to Nintendo eShop". What's up with that?

Thanks for pointing this out! I'd never even heard of this game until now. And...heading to the eShop!

EDIT: It's listed, but I'm not able to purchase. It just says "Coming to Nintendo eShop". What's up with that?
The eShop doesn't update until afternoon, I think between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM CST, but somebody might have the exact update time.

Camjo-Z

Downloading now! Sucks that the FM pack has to wait, but I guess this way I'll actually listen to the original music instead of switching immediately.

nicanica

OH MY GOD

I LOOVE THE FIRST ONE.

One of my favorite games on the 360 bar none!

The top screen of my 3ds is cracked, can I just play this on the bottom screen?

Opa-Pa

Okay so I had heard of Protect Me Knight but I read yesterday that it's made by Koshiro's company so I assumed he composed for it, now I see this thread, read that it's a pixe-based Warriors game with his music but

Hiroshi Kawaguchi a.k.a. Hiro. (Outrun, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, After Burner, Shenmue)

Motoaki Furukawa (Gradius series, Castlevania; Rondo of Blood, Policenauts)

Holy shit.

I thought the first game was for 3DS too but guess not. Oh well I'll just download this one, it's a shame the FM soundtrack isn't avaible yet but the game looks nuts so I'll get it ASAP.

cuilan

While the sequel is definitely great, the first one is still worth playing. The gameplay and maps are different enough for both of them to stand on their own, in my opinion.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've... never heard of anyone call this a 2D musou before now, lol. And I've been a fan of it since the XBLIG days. Protect a cute princes from F#%KIN' GOBLINS!

It's great to see the sequel made it here. Will be sharin' play with Brother's N3DS purchase. I'd love to have a home console release of this again, but I'm just glad a sequel was even made.

me0wish

I loved the idea, but the 360 game got repetitive and stale, me and my friends got bored quick.

How does this fair in comparison? Is there more depth to it? Is it more fun and challenging? Really tempted to buy.

hampig

I loved the idea, but the 360 game got repetitive and stale, me and my friends got bored quick.

How does this fair in comparison? Is there more depth to it? Is it more fun and challenging? Really tempted to buy.

I'd like to know this too. I see "widely expanded" but I don't know what that means.

preta

How large is the soundtrack? If it contains as few songs as the original, I'm not sure I can justify dropping $8 for the FM version.

I'd like to think that, considering the $10 difference in price between this and the XBLIA version, that this is a much more fleshed out version of that concept, but I haven't played it yet myself.

cuilan

The major differences are that character customization is much more in-depth and the maps have more "puzzle-like" layouts.

HyperHip

I'd like to think that, considering the $10 difference in price between this and the XBLIA version, that this is a much more fleshed out version of that concept, but I haven't played it yet myself.

This game has about 100 levels, bigger maps, map creation, and 2 new classes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I adore this game. The original XBLI game was incredible, and the 3DS version is fantastic as well. You guys are in for a treat.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Fewr

This definitely looks interesting. Thanks for the OT, I would have otherwise never stumbled upon the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In the Nintendo Downloads thread, this got compared a bit to a tower defense game. I do not like tower defense games. Is this anything like that? The trailer looks pretty awesome, but I figured it's worth asking.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Camjo-Z

Beat the first 10 stages, it's pretty fun. The combat is shallow early on but as you get more skills it becomes more varied, and I imagine it's even more fun in co-op. Comparisons to Warriors games aren't that far off, it's a similar sense of "mash buttons to get materials to upgrade yourself so you can mash buttons for more materials". Really not a fan of the writing though, every character is desperately trying to be wacky and funny in every other line and it gets obnoxious pretty fast. I'm sure there are a plenty of people who find this style of "lol random" humor hilarious though so it could be just me, and there are admittedly some genuinely good lines from the princess.

In the Nintendo Downloads thread, this got compared a bit to a tower defense game. I do not like tower defense games. Is this anything like that? The trailer looks pretty awesome, but I figured it's worth asking.

It depends on how you define tower defense. The main goal of the game is to keep the princess safe from attacking hordes, so you are defending something, but it's achieved by setting up blockades to hold enemies off while you going out and attack them directly rather than placing/upgrading things that attack for you as you would in a traditional tower defense game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It depends on how you define tower defense. The main goal of the game is to keep the princess safe from attacking hordes, so you are defending something, but it's achieved by setting up blockades to hold enemies off while you going out and attack them directly rather than placing/upgrading things that attack for you as you would in a traditional tower defense game.

It's an action game first and foremost but there are defense elements. Basically, you have to clear the map of all enemies and enemy spawn points while protecting the princess; killing enemies gives you gold that you can spend to level up your character or to build/repair defenses on the map that are used to block paths or slow down enemies. All of this happens in real time and is very straightforward and not something you really have to stress in a lot of cases.

Thanks guys. As long as it's not like a traditional TD like Camjo described, I'll be picking this up. I don't like setting up towers and watching them kill shit for me, only to realize 45 minutes in that my setup is garbage and I'm fixing to die. Since action plays a big role (and it has some minor musou aspects), it looks like a purchase for me.

E: Not to mention, something a bit more mindless will be nice with Mon Hun happening at the same time.

regretting not picking this up on my japanese system years back (for some reason it never even ended up on my radar?), but at least i'm enjoying it now, lol. the FM soundtrack seriously can't come soon enough. that composer list is just stupid. every single name is absolute top of the line.

Really not a fan of the writing though, every character is desperately trying to be wacky and funny in every other line and it gets obnoxious pretty fast. I'm sure there are a plenty of people who find this style of "lol random" humor hilarious though so it could be just me, and there are admittedly some genuinely good lines from the princess.

kinda a tangent but wow it feels like people are tossing the "random" humor card at anything and everything lately, lol. think i've seen just about anything remotely wacky or using unexpected humor being pegged as such when i've always associated it with a certain brand of non-jokes. nothing wrong with evolving definitions of course, nor with opinions on any given type of humor, just kinda feels like encroaching cynicism and dismissiveness which is sorta a shame.

it's definitely a very jokey game, even more so than the japanese script (from what i've seen). enough of those jokes have landed with me that i can say i'm enjoying it, at least.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Camjo-Z

kinda a tangent but wow it feels like people are tossing the "random" humor card at anything and everything lately, lol. think i've seen just about anything remotely wacky or using unexpected humor being pegged as such when i've always associated it with a certain brand of non-jokes. nothing wrong with evolving definitions of course, nor with opinions on any given type of humor, just kinda feels like encroaching cynicism and dismissiveness which is sorta a shame.

it's definitely a very jokey game, even more so than the japanese script (from what i've seen). enough of those jokes have landed with me that i can say i'm enjoying it, at least.

Maybe it's not lol random exactly, but I don't know what to call it. I felt the exact same way about Kid Icarus Uprising's writing, I love comedy but I don't like it when every character in the game is self-aware and constantly joking and there are no stakes at all because no one is taking anything seriously.

Opa-Pa

I've been playing for a couple of hours. It's so hilarious and fun! It really is like a pixel art Warriors where you protect a character instead of keeps so far. Really good.

Maybe it's not lol random exactly, but I don't know what to call it. I felt the exact same way about Kid Icarus Uprising's writing, I love comedy but I don't like it when every character in the game is self-aware and constantly joking and there are no stakes at all because no one is taking anything seriously.
Ah I get what you mean, I had the same problem with Uprising. It felt like literally every single spoken line in the game had to be a joke just for the sake of it, like the game was trying too hard to be charming. Kinda out of place too because the story was fairly "serious" but eh.

I'm enjoying it in this one tho because the game is inherently ridiculous and doesn't take itself seriously from the start. But yeah opinions.

Top Bottom