• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protect Me Knight 2 |OT| 3DS eShop • JP: 09/10 • US/EU: TBA • DEFEAT F$%KIN' GOBLINS!

The Japanese release date was announced today to be 09/10, since that's less than two weeks away I figure this can serve as an |OT|.

BwHbpV-CEAAlrAM.png

Preview Video/Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUDk5Zl3lnA

Price is ¥800.

8-Bit Famicom music from Yuzo Koshiro!!

Features a map editor with QR Code sharing and Download Play for multiplayer.

The game contains about ten times as much content as the original game.

Ancient is looking into an English release, but it is currently unannounced for US and Europe.

Going from their tweets and such, it's more of a matter of when than if.

They like hearing from us though, so be sure to tweet them @AncientGames_JP if you want an English release.

My first impressions from the pictures was this looks like a hectic slash em game.

Then I watched the trailer and realized it was, but holy crap that music is bangin!! I'll have to keep an eye out for it, looks like it could be fun

@MUWANdo

Banned
Just announced: the game will feature a collaboration with these composers!

Hiroshi Kawaguchi (Sega, credits include Space Harrier, Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Afterburner II)

Motoaki Furukawa (ex-Konami/Kukeiha Club, credits include Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou, Super Contra/Super C, Policenauts)

Shinji Hosoe (ex-Namco, credits include Ridge Racer, Dragon Spirit, Final Lap, Xenosaga ep. II, Street Fighter EX series)

Hisayoshi Ogura (ex-Taito/Zuntata, credits include the Darius series, Legend of Kage, Ninja Warriors)

Makes me wish it was also available as a XBLIG game. Damn portables, but looks totally over the top and even more cool compared to the first.

Hiroshi Kawaguchi (Sega, credits include Space Harrier, Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Afterburner II)

Motoaki Furukawa (ex-Konami/Kukeiha Club, credits include Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou, Super Contra/Super C, Policenauts)

Shinji Hosoe (ex-Namco, credits include Ridge Racer, Dragon Spirit, Final Lap, Xenosaga ep. II, Street Fighter EX series)

Hisayoshi Ogura (ex-Taito/Zuntata, credits include the Darius series, Legend of Kage, Ninja Warriors)

Holy smokes that is one of hell of a lineup. Along with Yuzo these guys are all videogame BGM gods.

EDIT: Garra Ono is finally retiring.

Delicious.

I can't Bing this since it's an image, but I guess that it's another collaboration of some sort, which (obviously) looks to be some sort of alternate character set.

img_collabo1.jpg

Loved the original. Sadly I have no 3DS, but maybe there's never been a better time to pick one up.
I would bet this might make it overseas near when New 3DS comes out, so double bonus for you.

sörine;127656728 said:
I can't wait for this game. You're doing god's work Pixy, keep spreading the word.
Thanks, I'm still a little shocked that a random visit to their Twitter months ago had that initial quiet peep that this was happening.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't Bing this since it's an image, but I guess that it's another collaboration of some sort, which (obviously) looks to be some sort of alternate character set.

I posted it in the other thread a while back, and it's what's at the end of the trailer in the OP. It's a collab with a NND collective called M.S.S. Project; they're basically a Japanese version of LP crews like Two Best Friends or Game Grumps or whatever.

I posted it in the other thread a while back, and it's what's at the end of the trailer in the OP. It's a collab with a NND collective called M.S.S. Project; they're basically a Japanese version of LP crews like Two Best Friends or Game Grumps or whatever.
I do remember you posting that, I just don't remember if the actual extra characters were specified.

Bumpy bump because this comes out today (in Japan).

Nice! Anyone able to get any impressions of it?

I don't have a Japan 3DS sadly, so I gotta play the waiting game until it arrives in the US. I'm hopeful that they also come out with a console version because this game was an effin blast with friends.

This is one of the few games I missed after selling my 360, and I'm glad that its not only coming to 3DS but has download play. It's a blast with friends.

I guess Smash really did kill this game getting a chance to shine, at least for any English speaking J3DS owner.

I'll see if I can dig up some impressions from elsewhere, at least to keep this in people's minds as we inch toward a possible overseas release.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I have no idea if anyone here ended up playing this game, but here's a bunch of news:

-The M.S.S.P. DLC will finally be out this week (January 7), 800 yen; it includes a new set of characters, new dialogue, new skills/abilities, some extra-hard maps, new gimmicks and even some minigames in totally different genres. It sounds like the M.S.S.P content is something that can be used in conjunction with the original game and toggled on/off rather than segregated content. You'll need to download the 1.1 software update before you can buy the DLC; the new content cannot be played via download play and will require each player to own the DLC if you wanna play multiplayer.

-Two 3DS menu themes will be released next week (January 14), 200 yen each; one features the character portraits, one features the battlefield.

-There's an official soundtrack release coming on February 22, in time for TGS 2015. It'll include everything that's in the game plus some bonus tracks.

-DLC #2 has been announced; it'll include an FM version of the soundtrack, an extra difficult mode (Hell+) and some other unlockable/secret stuff they're not talking about just yet. It'll be 800 yen, but no ETA just yet.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my word, this looks amazing. Thank you GAF, for bringing it to the attention of those of us who may have overlooked this on the Eshop!

There seem to be some favourable impressions in the JP 3DS import thread, so I suggest checking that out if you're curious. Hopefully people from there can paste their thoughts here as well.

I can't get enough of the music, and have been instantly won over by the theme tune. So bloody catchy! I took the liberty of translating the lyrics if anyone's at all interested.

It's just a slap-dash job so it comes across as cheesy old anime theme lyrics on paper (which actually kind of suits it imo, hah). Note that it doesn't match the rhythm very well, so someone might be able to do a better job with more poetic license ;)

♪♪♪
Protect me Knight, with fiery resolve!

If she’s not having fun she’ll be gone today, too
Wasn't sure about this line, but it could be a play on words due to the Japanese pronunciation of "knight" in this case (naito). Alternatively it could be something like "Play/enjoy it Knight, we're off again today"

Guard the princess with your sword held high

No mercy for punks that get in your way

A dream you believe in is a mighty weapon

That no one can snatch away

Come now! You must never look back

You must go on!

Princess, deliver your prayer to our hearts

Send it soaring high into the heavens

With your shriek of love

Fight!

Everybody now!

Protect me Knight
♪♪♪

Goodness, I'm just so smitten with this game right now and I haven't even bought it yet. This weekend I might actually try performing a rendition of the Japanese theme in all its awesome retro glory...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for double-post, but just have to gush...

Literally straight after making that post and doing some impromptu at-home karaoke, I hopped on the Eshop and grabbed Protect Me Knight.

Suffice to say, the game is delivering on all fronts.
The visuals, music/sfx, frontend and controls all have that perfect 8-bit consistency that makes it feel like you're really playing an old Famicom game.
If you're in the mood for quirky retro gaming on your import 3DS, look no further.

The things that remind you it's actually a modern game are very well-implemented, too. I'm not normally a fan of tower defence, and to many the idea may leave a bitter taste after having being drowned in so many hack-jobs and clones on various app stores.
However, in PMK the tower defence systems are not only relatively unobtrusive, but also flexible depending on your playstyle. Using skills you've acquired and equipped, you can meticulously build and upgrade fortifications, knocking them around to adapt to the battle, punting them into enemies, and selling them when no longer needed.

If you're like me, you'll enjoy the action side of the game a lot more than the TD mechanics, and the game is rewarding on this front as well. Master your character's unique skills and play aggressively, zipping around the battlefield and clearing out enemy hordes. There are nice audio and visual cues for when a fortification is at risk of breaking, and defences can be repaired simply by attacking them, so a bare minimum of
macro management can be carried out with ease.

Even if you don't read Japanese (mostly kana), the menus are streamlined enough to get used to after a few attempts, and you shouldn't have too much trouble deciphering the majority of skill icons. The RPG elements are solid, and if you've played one before, you'll know roughly what to expect.

Although, you may miss out on one of the game's most charming points: its humour.
It innocently takes the old "save the princess" trope and constantly fiddles with it, offering great dialogue and some genuinely cute/funny moments. From what I've seen, the jokes will translate perfectly to a western audience, and I can't wait to see what Ancient do with an English release. The characters may seem stereotypical on the surface, but they have some delicious twists to them, and supporting cast members (shop keepers, skill trainer, Princess Lola, etc.) are all presented well, and just as unique.

Finally, that soundtrack... Everything is up-beat and amazing. Everything is catchy. Another triumph from Koshiro. You will no doubt find yourself humming along while you level up and purchase weapons. Voice samples are used sparingly, but are really cute and have a sweet nostalgic distortion effect that is also reminiscent of the old consoles.

PMK is like the Japanese take on what was attempted by the likes of Retro City Rampage and Shovel Knight; i.e old school aesthetic with modern tweaks and humour. I haven't played RCR, but I recall that it wasn't received with much positivity, unlike SK, which seemed to receive universal praise. I was bummed when I found that wasn't on the JP 3DS store, but PMK is making up for its absence. I have a lot of confidence in PMK, as it doesn't try to do too much all at once, and nothing comes across as ham-fisted. I don't know what happened with the original on XBLA, but I believe this one would be a great addition to any 3DS owner's library.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It seriously is a top-tier eShop game and I expect it'll do well if and when they get around to releasing it outside of Japan. I do hope they let you upload screenshots to Miiverse at some point, though.

The original game wasn't on XBLA, it was on XBLIG, MS' self-regulated ghetto for entry-level indie games. It got a decent amount of buzz at the time and is regularly mentioned in "here are the few XBLIG games that don't suck"-type articles, but it simply couldn't get as much coverage as a standard XBLA game or a Steam release.

The difference between Retro City Rampage and Shovel Knight is that RCR is an extremely unsubtle cavalcade of references to old games whereas SK (and this game) are more about evoking the feel of a game from that era without directly referencing specific games or relying on tired memes or whatever. I don't really hate RCR the way some people do but these other games are definitely in their own league.

RCR was always shit.
Truth bombs.

Okay, so it looks like Ancient is still responding to people saying that news on an English version will come soon.

My guess? They are still working on the game, their most recent tweets talk about how they had to delay DLC #2. I think we'll start hearing on what their plans are for US/EU once they are done with their DLC plans.

Oh, and this is a thing.

B7RhK1jCQAA0TRt.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
Ancient included a shot of the localised English logo, which they apparently knocked out last week in order to include in the packaging for the upcoming OST release:

B9ce6FvCAAATMlU.png

They are still working on the game, their most recent tweets talk about how they had to delay DLC #2

They still haven't released DLC #1, they've delayed it a whole bunch of times due to bugs.

Any news on the English release of this? I fear that by the time it's released it will have been too late for any decent exposure or sales.

Top Bottom