• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta Protectors (Protect Me Knight 2) - 3DS eShop |OT| DEFEAT F$%KIN' GOBLINS!

Grabbed the dlc and was surprised to learn it had a few extra content/features. Sweet.
Hmm, what does it have other than the extra difficulty?

I would probably only use the FM soundtrack rarely, more of a 2A03 fan myself, but if there's other neat goodies I can pick it up.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Been playing this the last few nights and just bought the DLC. Great game and definitely one of the best eshop titles available. Truly a shame it's had zero press coverage and what appear to be zero reviews on metacritic.

Tom_Cody

I heard about this on the Radio Free Nintendo podcast a few weeks ago and now I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Yeah, it's brimming with content.

Such as? I watched a few videos, looks like an active TD game, NES style, some funny bits and good music. Just wondering what else there is prior to buying. I bet this would've been huge if it launched at 4.99 or so. Thanks for the answers though, my interest is piqued :)

Opa-Pa

Such as? I watched a few videos, looks like an active TD game, NES style, some funny bits and good music. Just wondering what else there is prior to buying. I bet this would've been huge if it launched at 4.99 or so. Thanks for the answers though, my interest is piqued :)

The main story offers 100 different maps, there are 6 completely different characters with their own unlockable skills and weapons, there's a map editor with the option to turn them into QRs and to get other people's levels via QR too, and there's download play and multiple cart multiplayer. Beating the game unlocks hard mode as well.

The DLC adds a remixed soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro and 20 new levels, and the ability to switch characters on the fly.

At last, a review -- and a positive one, too. Jonathan Holmes' review for Nintendo Force reminded me of this game, which I blanked on back in July. Being a Koshiro loyalist, I didn't need much persuading, but the positive impressions here led me to splurge on the game and its FM DLC. Despite the high (for the eShop) price, Gotta Protectors is very much worth the spend. It is indeed brimming with content, from the many levels to a wide variety of customization options to its many memorable tunes. And whether you like 8-4's approach to localization or not, the levity suits this tongue-in-cheek game whereas it was occasionally distracting in tonally serious games like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

EDIT: I was mistaken about the localization. It was done "entirely" by Brian Gray; 8-4 "[looked] over everything and [handled] the bulk of communication with Ancient." In case it wasn't clear above, I think Gray did a great job.

john tv

At last, a review -- and a positive one, too. Jonathan Holmes' review for Nintendo Force reminded me of this game, which I blanked on back in July. Being a Koshiro loyalist, I didn't need much persuading, but the positive impressions here led me to splurge on the game and its FM DLC. Despite the high (for the eShop) price, Gotta Protectors is very much worth the spend. It is indeed brimming with content, from the many levels to a wide variety of customization options to its many memorable tunes. And whether you like 8-4's approach to localization or not, the levity suits this tongue-in-cheek game whereas it was occasionally distracting in tonally serious games like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

EDIT: I was mistaken about the localization. It was done "entirely" by Brian Gray; 8-4 "[looked] over everything and [handled] the bulk of communication with Ancient." In case it wasn't clear above, I think Gray did a great job.
That's no different from any 8-4 project. :) But yes, Brian always kills it when we work together. <3

Opa-Pa

Finally finished the game solo last night. I had to skip the level With Death in Tow because it was genuinely unfair (I'm not even sure if it's possible to beat it solo) but did every other map. Loved it! The one good thing about that level is that it encouraged me to try every character and I ended up maining Old Guy for the last levels. That ending was unexpectedly cute, too.

I wish there was a way to get the Vol.2 of the soundtrack digitally tho... I need that FM goodness.

That's no different from any 8-4 project. :) But yes, Brian always kills it when we work together. <3

He really did a great job. This is one of the most charming localizations I've seen in recent memories. Props to you all!

Saoshyant

Yay! Their metacritic entry is no longer completely barren! I'm being entirely serious here: two largely positive reviews instead of the complete "no one even noticed this existed" situation before is a pretty good motivation to get some more sales. Which in turn will hopefully lead to the European release. I'm rubbing my hands together, villain-style, as that is my master plan.

In fact, be part of my evil master plan: if you are any good at writing and you have enjoyed your time with this title, please go to Metacritic and add a user review. Or if you are friends with one of those Youtube celebrities types, ask them to consider doing a video on Gotta Protectors. I think anything helps to get more people to notice this little gem at this point.

dawgparty

Dead thread I know, but I'd love to get a conversation going about this game. Anybody main the mage? Trying her out now and its a lot of fun but the diversity of characters here is making me super indecisive. Hoping she gets a crazy nuke spell somewhere down the line.

I like how you can get enough loot in a round to quickly power up individual classes.
After a few hours with the Archer though, I found that the Fighter is far more capable for racking up combos. I've gotta say, though that I love Archer's Lock-On ability.

Sakujou

Banned
played this at a friend, i had such a blast with this game, going to buy this. never heard of this game before,now iam super hyped. music, the graphic and the humour are just spot on. awesome. sad, that no one is talking about this game. problem is its eshop, i dont buy any games on eshop. i dislike the whole idea of having just a digital copy of the game.

the game is still not out in the EU-eshop??!?!?

Saoshyant

Well, I put in a vote for Gotta Protectors just so more people may hear about it, though I myself haven't played and have given up on hoping there would be an European release. A damn shame.

jackal27

Banned
Picked up this game recently and I am LOVING it! I really enjoyed the Xbox original as well, but it seems like this one didn't make as much of a splash. The added content is totally worth it in my mind. Hard to get friends together for multiplayer though. This is the kind of game that would be perfect for the Switch!

I'm enjoying it on my 3DS for now though so i hope more people will give it a shot. I need some QR code custom stages.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still holding out hope for European release.

Top Bottom