• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta Protectors (Protect Me Knight 2) - 3DS eShop |OT| DEFEAT F$%KIN' GOBLINS!

About half-way through I guess.
It's crazy how much content this game has. I haven't even touched any of the other five characters yet (Amazon for life). Not to mention that there are loads of weapons and abilities that can affect how each mission plays out.

I did some two player co-op through Chapter One last night, insanely fun, full of character and humor.

We might have a four player run tonight!

Hoping and hoping that 8-4 kept internet memes out of this if it is their work.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Brother noticed a cool Easter Egg with the Manual in the game.

The more you use the manual, the dirtier and more worn and ancient it gets. It starts to get coffee stains, the images fade, the pages get creases, etc, etc. Nice set of effects!

Also, the notes page eventually has a code the appears on it. If you enter it on the Camp screen, it seems to raise you to lvl 10 automatically.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

fernoca

Brother noticed a cool Easter Egg with the Manual in the game.

The more you use the manual, the dirtier and more worn and ancient it gets. It starts to get coffee stains, the images fade, the pages get creases, etc, etc. Nice set of effects!

Also, the notes page eventually has a code the appears on it. If you enter it on the Camp screen, it seems to raise you to lvl 10 automatically.
That sounds amazing.

I want this, heck got the original one on Xbox 360 way back then. But because of the price, instead of $13, it will be $20 to get a card. :/

Has anyone tried download play yet? How different is it from co-op with multiple copies?
We played via Download Play yesterday, I would be shocked if it is any different, it seems to send the entire game over.

I may be able to test multiple copy co-op tonight to see if there are any differences, the only thing I could think of is that people with their own copy may get to keep loot in their game.

jluedtke

This game is pure joy; my biggest gaming surprise of the year. The amount of care they put into it reminds me almost of Retro Game Challenge on DS.

I am interested in this.

• Are there a lot of collectibles, hidden secrets, out-of-the way upgrades you have to find to stay ahead of the RPG progress curve, etc.? I'm hoping no, and that it's just all action all the time.
  • Someone mentioned puzzle-like level layouts. How puzzle-like are we talking? Again I'm hoping it's mostly just action.
  • Is the equipment system (and other RPG elements) intuitive for someone who doesn't play many JRPGs or Japanese games in general?

I am interested in this.

• Are there a lot of collectibles, hidden secrets, out-of-the way upgrades you have to find to stay ahead of the RPG progress curve, etc.? I'm hoping no, and that it's just all action all the time.
  • Someone mentioned puzzle-like level layouts. How puzzle-like are we talking? Again I'm hoping it's mostly just action.
  • Is the equipment system (and other RPG elements) intuitive for someone who doesn't play many JRPGs or Japanese games in general?

So it's almost all action, the puzzle bit is from working out how the maps could be progressed through. So far not many secrets in terms of gameplay, and the equipment and upgrade system will look daunting at first until it clicks. But completely fantastic game so far. And the humor is pretty great and not really meme-y, very much 4th wall breaks and fun character quirks.

cuilan

Did the Japanese release have Manga art for the manual cover?

The regular digital manual has no cover art, but has color illustrations for the characters and a bunch of screenshots. The in-game manual has a small black & white illustration on the cover and the same character illustrations as the regular digital manual, but in black & white.

I am interested in this.

The standard maps at least have treasure chests scattered around the maps, usually somewhat far from the princess you're supposed to be protecting. Collecting them isn't really necessary though.

The maps being puzzle-like is just in their layout. There are obstacles, multiple paths, special terrain that affects movement, etc.

The equipment system is pretty simple. It's just buying weapons and unlocking/upgrading skills. You buy weapons with money and unlock/upgrade skills by collecting the necessary amount of ingredients.

schlew

I had been anticipating Protect Me Knight 2 for quite a while, even asking Ancient about it maybe a year or so ago. They responded saying they were disappointed in the localization of PMK1, and wanted to rectify that this time around. Who'd have guessed they'd go so far as to enlist 8-4 and the incredible Brian Gray for the task!

Really enjoying the game, can't believe how expanded it is over the original. Such a treat, and the progress system is genius. I love risk and reward in my games, and Gotta Protectors excels in that regard.

Man this game looks super dope. For those of y'all who've played it, do you see this being one of eShop's greatest titles alongside stuff like Shovel Knight or M2's classics?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

HotHamBoy

Download Play doesn't let the other players customise their character and only lets them pick a few different classes.

I think it's a little harder to unreservedly recommend Gotta Protectors, just because the nature of the game means some people will tire of it more quickly than others, but I do think it's among the top tier of eShop games, certainly.

(I don't know how it'll work with the NA release, but the Japanese FM dlc pack also included a new difficulty mode and some other little additions, so if people are finding the game too easy or they feel like the difficulty has plateaued, maybe check that out.)

Top-tier eShop is generally pretty mid-tier by other platforms' standards, though...

@MUWANdo

Banned

HotHamBoy

I don't mean "good for a 3D eShop-exclusive game", I mean "among the best games available on the eShop" which includes the likes of Shovel Knight and Steamworld Heist and other games (including retail games and first-party games) that compare just as favourably to the libraries on other platforms. It's a genuinely high-quality game.

Sold.

Manage to scrounge up 4 3DSes and tried download play with friends. They had fun but there wasn't really much for them to do in-between levels cause of the limitations (only Fight! command in town, mage and fighter the only selectable classes, no winnings saved and they were treated to a loading screen while I set up the next game and bought things.) When they own the game and join my hosted game, are they able to play as their own characters and visit the dojo and other areas after a stage?

They enjoyed it enough that they'll be buying it this week :D

Question though - what's the deal with the "Level Up OK!" text on the top right of the screen next to the castle?

Saoshyant

Are there any news on an European release? If not, what would be the best place for me to keep an eye on? This game sounds so good, I really want to play it.

is this game coming out for any other platform? Does it have paper cut out 3d effect?
No other platform plans and I wouldn't count on it given the size of the team (not impossible, but it took them two years to get an English version out).

No 3D, sadly, not sure how it could be done for overhead 2D anyway.

Are there any news on an European release? If not, what would be the best place for me to keep an eye on? This game sounds so good, I really want to play it.
No news yet. You can keep an eye on their Twitter account, @AncientGames_JP.

Hard mode is great so far.

A bunch of more dangerous monsters are introduced in earlier stages, plus there are more rare drops.

I wish the max possible cash in a stage wasn't 9999 though. With a handful of levels in Gold Rush, I hit the cap pretty quickly.

Opa-Pa

I'm halfway through episode 2 and having a blast. Game is fantastic so far, one of the best eShop titles for sure. Solo has been great so I wonder how crazy fun it must be in co-op.

Any tips on how to use the cellar? I got a hustle ring but I'd rather avoid wasting items if it isn't completely random.

schlew

Question though - what's the deal with the "Level Up OK!" text on the top right of the screen next to the castle?

You can stand over the castle in the stage, and a 'Press L/R'S prompt will take that message's place. By pressing L or R you can level up your character with the cash you've collected.

joedick

Loving this game so far.

You can stand over the castle in the stage, and a 'Press L/R'S prompt will take that message's place. By pressing L or R you can level up your character with the cash you've collected.

I seem to go back to level 1 on the next map. Is it meant to be for that stage only?

schlew

Loving this game so far.

I seem to go back to level 1 on the next map. Is it meant to be for that stage only?

Yep, just the current stage you're on. It plays into the risk/reward I enjoy so much. You can spend money on Levelling up in the stage, or try to go without it and keeping your money for investments in the town.

HotHamBoy

Is this game stereoscopic? It doesn't look like it.

I've noticed more eShop games aren't supporting it, which is kind of a bummer. 2D Sprites actually look pretty cool in 3D.

@MUWANdo

Banned

HotHamBoy

I disagree though.T_T There is sooo many good games in Eshop which sadly is hidden by damn lots of shovelware.T_T

Go buy A-TRAIN Now!!! Best Game Eva.^_^

I have a fair amount of eShop games but most just aren't as good as what you'll find on PSN. Some are really good, of course. But one thing is for sure... LOTS of shovelware. Lots of mediocrity.

That said, the eShop has some odd diamonds in the rough that other platforms don't have, and that's pretty cool. Pocket Card Jockey is one of the best games of the year.

casiopao

I have a fair amount of eShop games but most just aren't as good as what you'll find on PSN. Some are really good, of course. But one thing is for sure... LOTS of shovelware. Lots of mediocrity.

That said, the eShop has some odd diamonds in the rough that other platforms don't have, and that's pretty cool. Pocket Card Jockey is one of the best games of the year.

Yeah sadly the amount of shovelware kinda kills the E-shop here.T_T But from all my experience, i believe that the great E-Shop title is not under any platform game here. I can even said some exceed other platform game as it provide totally different and unique games which we can't find outside of E-shop.

I mean, where can we even find Rhythm Heaven Megamix here.^_^ And that is one hella a good game.

This game is also kinda fun lol. Playing with friends is a blast.^_^

Dreavus

This looks absolutely perfect for the 3DS.

EDIT: I just got the joke in the title.

Protector

Protect her

Gotta protect her.

I'm dumb.

Does Hard mode get unlocked naturally by playing? I'm finding Normal a tad too easy, but granted I'm only on the tail end of Ch 1

Hard mode unlocks after completing the game.
Hell mode unlocks after beating Hard mode.

Hell mode is...Hell. I can't handle this alone. Even the first map is brutal.

Brace yourself, the DLC adds Hell+!

Oh for crying out loud. Hell already isn't much fun when everything has a bazillion HP and kills Protectors in a couple hits.

Hell+ has to be just plain stupid.

@MUWANdo

Banned

So I see a lot of people loving co-op, which really isn't an option or me. Is solo play good too?

Opa-Pa

So I see a lot of people loving co-op, which really isn't an option or me. Is solo play good too?

It's probably a lot less enjoyable in higher difficulties if you're playing solo, but I'm having a lot of fun on normal myself.

casiopao

Well, this is only my experience here but i also had tons of fun playing this game alone. I don't know i can speak anything lol as i also feel Musou game and Hunting is also playable and lots of fun alone here.^_^

Dreavus

Just got the game. 8bit musou seems apt, lol (not a bad thing!).

The game is so charming! I love all the things the princess says at the bottom screen and it absolutely doesn't take itself seriously at all. I usually don't go for humour like that, but for some reason it's working on me here. Just adorable all around.

Dreavus

Has anyone figured out the Cellar yet?

Feels like I'm just throwing stuff away.

I have no idea. I figured it'd be worth it to just have one.

Threw in about x50 materials and 6000g-8000g two separate times and got two +3 rings (Harden and Surge).

Interesting thing about the bonuses on weapons and rings... As far as I can tell they only work if you equip the skill they are boosting. Also, they give you that skill boost from the start of the map and aren't subject to your in-map level (like skills normally are, upgrading at the dojo only improves the "max" level, you always start at rank 1 of the skill though). Bonuses from rings and stuff also aren't affected by being far away from the princess.

Top Bottom