• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta Protectors (Protect Me Knight 2) - 3DS eShop |OT| DEFEAT F$%KIN' GOBLINS!

Thac0

Neo Member
This game has been a lot of fun so far. I'm about halfway through chapter 2 and it has just the right variation between maps where the focus is on hacking & slashing hoards of enemies but there's a little consideration you have to give to where the enemies will attack and what fortifications you need to upgrade.

Map variety has been pretty good, with a little exploration to get you out of the fortified castle zone to find keys, monster generators, and chests.

The character and town upgrade loop has been pretty fun and reminds me of Castlevania: Harmony of Despair's character upgrade feel.

Enjoying this more than I expected! Makes me think I should try a proper Musuo game also.

Man I gotta say I am adoring the localization in this game. Usually video game humor doesn't do anything for me but I've managed a fair few smiles and chuckles so far.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

joedick

So how is everyone playing this (or at least the non-multi-player crowd)? Do you stick with one class or try to use/improve everyone as you go?

I've been sticking with one person myself, I'd be interested to hear if there's an advantage to spreading out more. Do the different characters upgrade with different resources or is there a crossover? If they use the same ones I can see that being tough to upgrade everyone.

Whizkid7

HOLY **** I didn't know they were making a sequel for this!!!! I freakin' loved this game on my Xbox, totally need to buy this now.

Dreavus

So how is everyone playing this (or at least the non-multi-player crowd)? Do you stick with one class or try to use/improve everyone as you go?

I've been sticking with one person myself, I'd be interested to hear if there's an advantage to spreading out more. Do the different characters upgrade with different resources or is there a crossover? If they use the same ones I can see that being tough to upgrade everyone.

No real advantage per say, it's just what you want to play. Some things cross over; there are skills that lots of characters use like Harden or Surge. When you upgrade those, any character can use them. I'm playing mostly Amazon but also Fighter sometimes too and there's lots of overlap in the skills I use.

Weapons are all unique so you need to upgrade them for each character, as well as "unique" skills and passives like Boomerang that only one class can use.

Doesn't seem like that big of a hassle so far. I always seem to have some extra materials for other characters.

EDIT: I think chapter three's "KING OF DESTROYER" might be my favourite level so far.

HotHamBoy

So the FM music is a DLC add on for $8? It seems like the much better music but damn, I don't want to dish out $21 for the game. That's pretty steep for an alternative music option. It's not like you're getting mp3s...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Opa-Pa

EDIT: I think chapter three's "KING OF DESTROYER" might be my favourite level so far.
It seemed like too much at first but it's pretty simple, I love it. It's the best map to farm money early on too.

So far I love how clever the maps are. There really is an advantage to a 2D Musou because instead of having a few levels with different objectives, they can reuse assets to create thousands of different maps and they're so well designed, this game is incredible.

Also when should I start to get auto skills? I'm in chapter 3 already and nothing, I feel like I'm doing something wrong...

Opa-Pa

For King of Destroyer I pick Amazon, level up to 5 and dash my way through the centaurs and start spamming the boomerang where the statues are. Most times I get to destroy them before they kill me, then I go back to Lola to recover and take the rest down without the villagers. If you have gold rush you can make $9000 per run, it's great.

It probably works with the Ninja too using bombs instead of the boomerang.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
For King of Destroyer I pick Amazon, level up to 5 and dash my way through the centaurs and start spamming the boomerang where the statues are. Most times I get to destroy them before they kill me, then I go back to Lola to recover and take the rest down without the villagers. If you have gold rush you can make $9000 per run, it's great.

It probably works with the Ninja too using bombs instead of the boomerang.

Yeah I tried doing that with Mage and it was no go. I'll give this a shot.

Elixist

i loved this game on 360, any word on coming out for other platforms? i have 3ds, but i'd rather play on like my pc where i have a bunch of controllers for co op.

Really digging this game, it's a fun albeit mindless way to relax. The aesthetic though is a major draw for me! The Gameboy esque look and feel rules, I would LOVE a game that takes cues from the 2d Zeldas done in this style more than anything!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think I'm going to buy this game solely based on this thread alone. Never heard or read a thing about this game or series outside of here, but I think y'all have sold me!

teeg

I think I'm going to buy this game solely based on this thread alone. Never heard or read a thing about this game or series outside of here, but I think y'all have sold me!

Last week, I was in the exact same boat as you are. I knew nothing about this game. The excitement of people in this thread pushed me to impulse buy it and I've been loving it. If what people have described interests you in the slightest, you won't be disappointed.

Dreavus

That's what I did. No knowledge of the previous game. I just saw some screenshots and someone said "Musou" and I was already buying it lol. It's a nice surprise game that's been really good so far.

@MUWANdo

Banned

@MUWANdo

Banned

Codeblue

Bought this based on 8-4 impressions.

Question about the DLC though. Does it replace all the music or is it a toggle, or what's the deal there?

@MUWANdo

Banned

It's nuts that this game has next no no reviews almost two weeks after launch.

Jeeze. Now I really feel bad for not writing one. =(

I think I wrote at least three for Protect Me Knight when it came out.
Oh...actually one of the sites I wrote a review for is dead now.

Writing-wise I've been in a bit of a slump. Well, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. It's not like I write for a major, a minor...or even "a" site.

Terrible shame. It's a truly excellent sequel. I'm really at a loss as to why nearly everyone is ignoring it.

MLH

We need this game in Europe!
Hopefully we don't have to wait years for it, would have been a nice summer title since autumn & winter looks packed for the 3DS.

Opa-Pa

I had no idea the DLC was out, I was holding up on finishing the last chapter until I had it, so I bought it immediately just now. Fantastic remixes from Koshiro as expected.

Been playing Archer in single player. Partially because she's cute girl with stoic glasses, but also because I've found some good skill synergies with Rapid Bow, Cashgrab and Surge.

Presentaiton-wise, Gotta Protectors has the most convincing 8-bit aesthetic I've seen yet, right down to the color limitations and style of the time.

Codeblue

Koshiro and friends really nailed this soundtrack. I don't think anything can top it this year.

That aside, the gameplay is incredibly fun and it does a phenomenal job of recreating all the charming limitations of the 8 bit era, and where they do use less archaic gameplay elements doesn't feel out of place or unwelcome at all. Real glad I was made aware of its existence because I hadn't heard a word about this game before it launched.

Saoshyant

Nobody noticed this game exists, did they?

QMFedsu.png

And I'm hearing the European release relies on how well the game will do in NA. Oh boy... :(

Raitaro

Nobody noticed this game exists, did they?

QMFedsu.png

And I'm hearing the European release relies on how well the game will do in NA. Oh boy... :(

Yeah...that always sucks.

Sorry for the bump but I just found out about this game's existence after catching up with 8-4 play's podcast, only to find out it is yet another cool Japanese game that is being held hostage in localisation limbo due to sales.

A shame that this game did amass more of a cult following at least, as it does look interesting and relevant for any retro game fan.

This game really should have been highlighted in a Nintendo Direct.

Although it does seem like Ancient did the bare minimum on their end to get the word out, almost makes me wish they had teamed up with a Western publisher known for working with indies.

This game really should have been highlighted in a Nintendo Direct.

Although it does seem like Ancient did the bare minimum on their end to get the word out, almost makes me wish they had teamed up with a Western publisher known for working with indies.

I agree. I was also surprised that Gurumin 3D wasn't mentioned, given how much work Mastiff is putting in to raise awareness of the title (they even visited Nintendo of America's offices in what I can only assume is a bid for marketing support).

It's a shame that both NoA/NoE can be tone deaf when it comes to noticing and promoting some of the best third party titles on their formats.

Top Bottom