• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gov. Fallin (OK) defies state Supreme Court order to remove 10 Commandments monument

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-isnt-going-anywhere-governor-says/?tid=sm_fb

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin (R) said that the state’s controversial Ten Commandments statue is staying put despite a state Supreme Court ruling ordering it to be taken off the statehouse grounds.

The state’s highest court handed down a broad 7-2 decision last week, which found that the monument violated the state’s constitution.

In statements issued Tuesday, Fallin defended the statue and said that “the court got it wrong.” She added that the statue will remain in place while the state appeals the court’s decision and the legislature considers changes to the constitution.

I guess the whole country is starting to learn what a piece of shit our governor is now. Man, imagine if she got tapped for a VP spot. It'd be Sarah Palin all over again!

Ferrio

Banned

“At this time, Attorney General Scott Pruitt, with my support, has filed a petition requesting a rehearing of the Ten Commandments case. Additionally, our Legislature has signaled its support for pursuing changes to our state Constitution that will make it clear the Ten Commandments monument is legally permissible,”

Ri'Orius

From what I understand, he's within his bounds for now since the state is appealing the decision. So the question is whether he'll step outside his bounds and leave it up after a failed appeal but before the proposed constitutional amendment can make it through the process.

But for now this sounds like a non-story: the process is being followed.

“At this time, Attorney General Scott Pruitt, with my support, has filed a petition requesting a rehearing of the Ten Commandments case. Additionally, our Legislature has signaled its support for pursuing changes to our state Constitution that will make it clear the Ten Commandments monument is legally permissible,”

Might as well have said "we'll pull up some shit to try to drag this thing all the way to the SC and lose".

BRING ON BAPHOMET!

mark-porter.jpg

ZealousD

Wouldn't specifically addressing the ten commandments just put the OK Constitution in violation of the US one?

Obviously they won't just specifically address the 10 Commandments. They'll probably motion to remove that section of the Constitution altogether.

USC-fan

Banned
Wouldn't specifically addressing the ten commandments just put the OK Constitution in violation of the US one?

Sure there is a way to do it.

This whole thing is silly. It really not a big deal if its there or not. Just a waste of tax payer money at this point.

Cyan

Banned
This whole thing is silly. It really not a big deal if its there or not. Just a waste of tax payer money at this point.

Agreed. They should really just get rid of it and stop dragging their heels over the whole thing.

ZealousD

I dunno, that seems to make sense to me.

It went to the state Supreme Court. It's not being appealed to a higher state court, because there is no higher state court. She's just screaming "DO OVER". It doesn't work like that.

Lubricus

It went to the state Supreme Court. It's not being appealed to a higher state court, because there is no higher state court. She's just screaming "DO OVER". It doesn't work like that.

Federal Appellate court is the next step if there is a part of a case that may involve the US constitution. The US Supreme Court decides if an appellate court can hear it. The party who is appealing has to petition the US Supreme court to make the decision.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sure there is a way to do it.

It was put there deliberately in the face of the separation of church and state and is a purposeful right wing Christian provocation. They got their result and some of them don't like it and the rest enjoy acting like victims and misrepresenting the constitution

ZealousD

I don't see the big deal if they're appealing but I do wish they'd just go away and be done with it.

They're not really appealing. They just want a rehearing because they lost.

Our justice system doesn't work as best 2 out of 3.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Unnecessary time and our tax money wasting in courts. It seems like people really have nothing good to do these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom