• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio 'heartbeat' bill banning most abortions passes legislature, on Governor's desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is vast difference between saying you find it immoral/unethical and you feel it should be illegal to have this stuff. You want divorce and same-sex relationships illegal too?

So what kind of punishment do we have for being gay or getting divorced in your world?

Education and rehabilitation, which should be the "punishment" for anything illegal that is not caused by mental illness.

Can you please elaborate further on what leads you to believe the things you listed here are immoral?

Fundamental right to live & biologically defined purposes of reproduction.

I assume you also believe that male masturbation should be illegal as well? Think of all of those potential lives being lost.

Obviously. Although that is not about the sanctity of life but about deviating sex from its evolutionary purposes.

Top kek.

These threads seem different nowadays. Where were all these guys prior to Trump winning?

Trump is an abject person but what does he have to do with me?

Education and rehabilitation, which should be the "punishment" for anything illegal that is not caused by mental illness.

Obviously. Although that is not about the sanctity of life but about deviating sex from its evolutionary purposes.

Are you asexual? That's the only way I can comprehend this mess (along with a shocking lack of empathy and logic obviously)

Abortion, contraceptives, divorce, same-sex relationships, etc. all should be considered unethical and immoral. It's obviously not a possibility, though, as modern Western governments are very secular and more focused on keeping society together than on upholding morality.

Sorry if that offended you. If being in favor of the sanctity of life means I hate women unapologetically, then I learned something today.
People should find same sex relationships immoral? Really? Aside from some garbage written in a book from a period in time when even the most scholarly of people knew less of the reality of the world we live in than the average 8 year old does today, what what should we find morally objectionable about it? Where the fuck do 'morals' even come into it?

"Upholding morality"... *puke*

Ekai

Abortion, contraceptives, divorce, same-sex relationships, etc. all should be considered unethical and immoral. It's obviously not a possibility, though, as modern Western governments are very secular and more focused on keeping society together than on upholding morality.

Would you kindly please stop using religion as a shield for your bigotry.

Vena

Are you asexual? That's the only way I can comprehend this mess (along with a shocking lack of empathy and logic obviously)

I'd consider myself asexual, and that argument causes my head to spin. I can inform you that being asexual has nothing to do with such a view point.

The fundemental issue here is what man fundementaly thinks of himself. Man is taught and believes and thus acts out that he is no more than an evolved beast, albeit a "smarter" beast; but a beast no less.

A beast doesn't care about himself, he'll eat his own feces, or drink himself to death. A beast doesn't care about others and will take what is not his, or rape.

Perhaps if we thought of ourselves and others as something sacred, instead of merely sensual we wouldn't have this problem. Perhaps instead of teaching we're a son of a beast, we'd teach that we're children of God
What in the ever loving fuck are you talking about? After reading the full thing it seems like you think that teaching evolution has made it inevitable for men to rape and that somehow if everyone believed in god that wouldn't happen? Despite being completely unrelated and rape and murder existing in the bible, hundreds of years before evolution was even theorized?

I don't...

The fundemental issue here is what man fundementaly thinks of himself. Man is taught and believes and thus acts out that he is no more than an evolved beast, albeit a "smarter" beast; but a beast no less.

A beast doesn't care about himself, he'll eat his own feces, or drink himself to death. A beast doesn't care about others and will take what is not his, or rape.

Perhaps if we thought of ourselves and others as something sacred, instead of merely sensual we wouldn't have this problem. Perhaps instead of teaching we're a son of a beast, we'd teach that we're children of God

I love how you quoted her but did not in any way address the post, well done.

I'd consider myself asexual, and that argument causes my head to spin. I can inform you that being asexual has nothing to do with such a view point.
Yeah my bad, as I said before I understand how it can come off poorly and I certainly didn't mean it like that.

I didn't mean to link asexuality and that viewpoint.

azyless

As a pretty much infertile lesbian who enjoys sex I should probably just save everyone some time and "reeducation" and die right there but then that goes against the "fundamental right to live". :/

Hollycat

Once again. As you have stated that you think sex should only be for reproduction, do you think it should be illegal for infertile women such as myself to have sex?

As a pretty much infertile lesbian who enjoys sex I should probably just save everyone some time and "reeducation" and die right there but then that goes against the "fundamental right to live". :/
infertile lesbian high five

Wilsongt

Sorry if that offended you. If being in favor of the sanctity of life means I hate women unapologetically, then I learned something today.

Gurl.

Gurl.

Please come into the 21st century. People would love to educate you.

Fundamental right to live how a fringe minority of extremists believe how you should live.

Wag

Is being pro-life a terrible thing? I believe that a fetus has an absolute right to life in virtue of its being a human being.

I honestly don't see how that's an abhorrent position to hold.

It's your right to be pro-life, it's banning legal abortions that is wrong. It won't stop women from getting them, just in dirty back-room clinics and at home using other means.

Forget about the moral issues, In a pure economic sense it puts more strain on the health system because of the problems women will face from illegal abortions. It doesn't make sense.

Was this ever feasible in society? Like, in your head when do you imagine the "golden age of fucking to only make children" was?

That was never feasible. Which is why I consider things like abortion or acceptance of masturbation to be ass-backward.

Jesus fucking christ.

I can only assume he's asexual or something and just can't comprehend sex.

I'm not asexual, in fact I have a woman. I don't see why I should only embrace views that are convenient for me and myself only. It's that kind of thinking that got Trump elected.

"Rehab"

Oh please, do tell us what "rehab" for a gay person is.

Chastity.

Also, how the fuck do you "rehab" divorced people? Force them to re-marry?

Just educate them. Re-marriage should be possible but come with penalities.

Once again. As you have stated that you think sex should only be for reproduction, do you think it should be illegal for infertile women such as myself to have sex?

Depends if your infertility is caused naturally or artificially, of course.

Mods, where you at?

I don't believe I did something against the rules, did I? Well I did accidentally derail the thread...

Makki

Do you have a time machine? Could you by chance have come from centuries ago? Have you checked for dust under your brow?

...this is incredible. For a person to have thoughts like this in this day and age and not be relegated to some odd village that lives in seclusion truly amazes me. How did you end up on the internets sir?

Wilsongt

That was never feasible. Which is why I consider things like abortion or acceptance of masturbation to be ass-backward.

I'm not asexual, in fact I have a woman. I don't see why I should only embrace views that are convenient for me and myself only. It's that kind of thinking that got Trump elected.

Chastity.

I don't believe I did something against the rules, did I? Well I did accidentally derail the thread...

Chastity?

For gay men?

....Gurl.

Wow a lot of people here getting upset at pretty standard Catholic (I'm assuming, sounds rather similar to what some of my Catholic acquaintances talk about) doctrine here by Mr. Waluigi. Does seeing other people express themselves and their very different beliefs get under your skin that much?

Like damn. Yes, a ton of people out there think you don't have the rights you believe you do, often because of religion. Please for the love of god leave your liberal bubbles more often.

Wow a lot of people here getting upset at pretty standard Catholic (I'm assuming, sounds rather similar to what some of my Catholic acquaintances talk about) doctrine here by Mr. Waluigi. Does seeing other people express themselves upset you that much?

Don't do that, do not even try to say this is standard Catholicism, cause it isn't.

Chastity.

Your stance is extreme and is incompatible with humanity. I think you know that though.

Wow a lot of people here getting upset at pretty standard Catholic (I'm assuming, sounds rather similar to what some of my Catholic acquaintances talk about) doctrine here by Mr. Waluigi. Does seeing other people express themselves and their very different beliefs get under your skin that much?

Like damn. Yes, a ton of people out there think you don't have the rights you believe you do, often because of religion. Please for the love of god leave your liberal bubbles more often.
I was raised Roman Catholic and I never met a single priest that thought contraceptives and homsexuality should be outlawed.

I love trying to pass this off as just a "different belief" though. Lol. Fuck.

Really? Even if the child has consciousness and can feel pain? I think an abortion could absolutely be immoral. Forcing women to have children they don't wish to have is also immoral.

Morality/Immorality is subjective.

Hence, why a blanket law banning what certain people (or certain religions) consider immoral is oppressive and unjustified in a country where freedom is sewn into its constitutional fabric.

JavyOO7

Its 2016, there should not be any restricting of abortions.

If a woman wants to abort, for whatever reason, I don't see why she shouldn't.

Life fucking sucks as it is, why put even more obstacles in front of a woman?

Don't do that, do not even try to say this is standard Catholicism, cause it isn't.

Probably not standard opinion, but supported by doctrine and tradition? Yeah most of what Mr. Waluigi has said seems pretty on the money.

I was raised Roman Catholic and I never met a single priest that thought contraceptives and homsexuality should be outlawed.

I love trying to pass this off as just a "different belief" though. Lol. Fuck.

You're joking right? The catholic church has fought for that type of thing tooth and nail all through Europe.

And yes, Random-NeoGAF-Boardmember, in literally every other area of life this IS just expressing a different belief. As I said above, please leave your bubble from time to time, a lot of people are okay with most of this, at least in some form.

MazeHaze

Banned

Chastity.

I think this is the most full of shit post I've ever seen on gaf. Gay people must be chaste? You are a bigot, and I find your post unethical and immoral.

That doesn't matter. If you see no problem whatsoever with denying a biological urge that doesn't hurt anyone else, especially in terms of thinking that the rest of society would ever go for it, then you must not have those urges to begin with. If you did, you would understand why the idea of banning masturbation is extraordinarily stupid.

Chastity.

You clearly don't understand sexuality.

This is most certainly not standard Catholicism.

Different beliefs that are rooted in bigotry get under my skin very much. You are cool with them though?

Probably not standard opinion, but supported by doctrine and tradition? Yeah most of what Mr. Waluigi has said seems pretty on the money.

Not really. He is saying that those who break the law should just get rehab and education. He is saying we should criminalize contraception, same-sex relationships, divorce, etc. That is far and away not supported by doctrine or tradition (least anything recent).

Also don't appreciate you saying I'm living in a liberal bubble, I was raised Pentecostal and even in my circle I have never heard someone say you should outlaw same-sex relationships. Marriage, sure against that, but they have never expressed an idea that it should be against the law.

Your stance is extreme and is incompatible with humanity. I think you know that though.

Yeah, I've already voiced that. The world can't be an utopia, particularly not when the only political parties to hold views that are anywhere close to these also stand against everything else I would like to see, such as generous social welfare, a more lax prison system, openness to immigrants, etc.

And as I said before I derailed the thread, even "pro-life" bills like the one this thread is about are more like "pro-birth", which is a bad thing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Hahahaha nice try. We all know (from your post history, not just this thread) that you are a hardcore-as-fuck Christian. Honestly I'd be shocked if you even believed in evolution.

Your reasons for your abhorrent, regressive beliefs are not founded in biology or evolution. In fact, it makes zero fucking sense, because evolution and biology are completely detached from morality. They do not inform morality whatsoever. And we all know you don't take your morality from biology; no one really does, especially not Christians.

Does seeing other people express themselves and their very different beliefs get under your skin that much?

Yes, the fact that tons of people would deny others their rights, based on arbitrary, fictional, bullshit scriptures instead of the real world, does get under my skin. Shocking!

KarmaCow

Gee I wonder why people are angry by others wanting to take away their fundamental rights and treating them like sub-humans. The idea that more people hold this view and so it should be shrugged off is insane.

For fucks sake, this isn't about tolerating an unpopular view like thinking that BvS was a good movie, don't start with this shit.

Airola

Ysee, the problem is that you've then reduced the woman to an uterus.

Oh, please, come on. You know none of this reduced the woman to anything.
Reduced the woman to an uterus? Really?

Let's say there were people who were carving their own livers out of their bodies becuase for some reason they enjoy doing it and the state would want to stop that, the state hasn't reduced them to livers.

How much different is that argument from if I'd say your stand reduces the growing babies into something?

When you impose sanctions on that behaviour, the state is, quite simply, saying that the fetus > the carrier. If one is willing to force rehabilitation on someone for that, the state is not only saying that the contents of the uterus matter more than the person, but also that the person's body belongs not to the person, but to the state. At that point, one might as well criminalize suicide.

What's wrong with forced rehabilitation? Is it always bad?
The state even forces people in jail if they have done bad enough things against the law. That's ok. I think forced rehabilitation for heavy hard drug users would also be ok. As a matter of fact, I would have them forced for rehabilitation instead of forced in jail.

I would like to see sex offenders to go to forced rehabilitation instead of regular jail. I would like to see rehabilitation systems take over regular jail sentences in many situations. I would like to see heavy hard drug users get rehabilitation instead of jail, no matter what gender they are. And if they are carrying a child, I think it's even more important. Not because the uterus is more important than the woman but because instead of only one, there are now two entities who are directly affected from the drug use.

I don't think suicides or suicide attempts should be criminalized, but I would like to see people who've attempted suicide to receive therapy as they absolutely need someone to talk to, and I feel the state should be obligated in ensuring the person gets that.

Additionally, you, oddly, exempted binge eating from the list of harmful conducts, even though it is just as devastating as all the other practices, if not even more so, given the extent of the effects. Thus, if one wishes to protect the fetus, one would have to regulate what pregnant women eat. Would one be willing to do that? If not, why? It is just as harmful as drinking, smoking or using drugs. If yes, fair enough, but then.... i`ll just ask if women should be allowed inside a car while pregnant, then, given that one is aware of the increased risk that it offers to the fetus. Or if they should be allowed to bungee-jump. Or skydive. Or swim. Or any activity that is riskier than staying at home in bed, after all, all of those things increase the risk of harm to the fetus, so what should be the cutoff point?

I, for one, would love to see a world where people refuse to sell an ice cream sandwich to a pregnant person.

Yeah, I skipped the binge eating part because that sounded like those bungee-jump examples than anything relatable to actual drug or alcohol use - I felt it was more like a "gotcha" example. Almost mentioned why I'm skipping it, but didn't.
Now, I admit that as the study you linked suggests that it's bad for the baby too, maybe it's rightfully among alcohol, cigarette and drug use. And if that's the truth, I think there should be efforts from the state to have some regulation on that too.

It's just that even if a person is fat and is seen eating food, it's not as easy to point out the person is doing it harmfully than if a person is smoking or drinking. Eating is absolutely necessary for people. Smoking, drinking alcohol or using drugs absolutely isn't. Eating an ice cream sandwhich in itself doesn't harm anyone. A single cigarette on the other hand is in itself harmful.

I'm not suggesting forced rehabilitation for drinkers or alcohol users, or for binge eaters. I'm suggesting it for the hard drug users. Even though it's hard to get rid of the habit of smoking and drinking, they are still easier for a person to get rid of than hard drug use is. People can slowly reduce smoking and drinking and end up stopping them for good, but it isn't even nearly as easy with hard drug use. Drug use also has other effects in general life other than just the addiction. Having that drug use of the mother continue into the post-birth life of the child is terrible too. Gladly then the drugs don't at least directly affect the child anymore, but it's still awful.

Comparing this to things like swimming is just ridiculous. While you could have your roof to drop on your head and killing yourself and the baby at the same time, dangers like that are way different from inhaling or injecting chemicals that directly have an effect to the entity inside the person.

I feel like those examples are some sort of a reverse version of the slippery slope fallacy. That for some reason if you want to regulate something you have to regulate everything or not regulate anything at all because one thing is always worse or as bad or almost as bad as the other. And if you are for something, you have to be for the other things too. That for some reason the other points are now invalid because I don't take every other situation into concideration and be against them as well, all the while I'm reducing women into bunch of walking uteruses just to give the discussion a harder edge.

One more time, it's not about the content of the uterus being more important than the woman. It's about there being two entities instead of one. The other entity just happens to live and grow inside of the other. That's where the entity lives. The entity didn't choose to be there. The mother didn't necessarily choose the entity to live there either. But that's what the situation is and that most likely is never ever going to change for most of the people in the whole future of mankind. People can say it's unfair to the women all around the world, but that happens to be the nature of things.

zoukka

T.

How do you view the fact that any highly educated critical thinker would see you as mentally deranged? How do you "educate" the denial of oneself? That is called violence and oppression my friend.

I truly hope you read on critical thinking and humanism after you are banned. Hating and ridiculing even someone like you is not a solution, you need immediate help.

Not really. He is saying that those who break the law should just get rehab and education. He is saying we should criminalize contraception, same-sex relationships, divorce, etc. That is far and away not supported by doctrine or tradition (least anything recent).

Also don't appreciate you saying I'm living in a liberal bubble, I was raised Pentecostal and even in my circle I have never heard someone say you should outlaw same-sex relationships. Marriage, sure against that, but they have never expressed an idea that it should be against the law.
Seriously, and while divorce is obviously still looked down upon, many Catholics realize that's life and you can't force two people to live with each other if they don't love each other anymore.

My parents are divorced, practicing Catholics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom