• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio Heartbeat Bill vetoed, 20 week abortion ban signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...gns-week-abortion-ban/UbrhWj5zpvwbbCkfNeMInJ/

Ohio Governor John Kasich has vetoed the Heartbeat Bill, and signs the 20-week abortion ban.

Here is the statement from Gov. Kasich regarding his veto Tuesday:

“As governor I have worked hard to strengthen Ohio’s protections for the sanctity of human life, and I have a deep respect for my fellow members of the pro-life community and their ongoing efforts in defense of unborn life. Certain provisions that were amended into Am. Sub. HB 493, however, are clearly contrary to the Supreme Court of the United States’ current rulings on abortion.

Similar legislation enacted in two other states has twice been declared unconstitutional by federal judges, and the Supreme Court declined to review those decisions. Because the federal courts are bound to follow the Supreme Court’s ruling on abortion, the amendment to Am. Sub. HB 493 will be struck down. The State of Ohio will be the losing party in that lawsuit and, as the losing party, the State of Ohio will be forced to pay hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to cover the legal fees for the pro-choice activists’ lawyers. Furthermore, such a defeat invites additional challenges to Ohio’s strong legal protections against unborn life. Therefore, this veto is in the public interest.”

SFenton

I may disagree with his feelings on abortion (everyone should have access, and it's the parents' choice), but I absolutely love the logical conclusion that he came to and vetoed for practical reasons for the state.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
All he could do really, bill would've been struck down at first challenge.
There was a possibility a Trump SC Justice could have tilted it being upheld but I think it's more likely to see regulatory measures like Texas tried being allowed in the future.

studyguy

As discussed in PoliGAF, the ban accounts for less than 1% of all abortions when you take count of how many of the occurred post 20 weeks last year.
Only 145 of the nearly 21,000 abortions performed in Ohio last year occurred after 20 weeks.

Real fucking triumph here when roughly 145 new kids will be born to unwanted situations be they financial or otherwise to the state.

That bill was straight fucking crazy, like even by GOP standards (I mean it even prevented abortion due to rape and incest). You know something flew way too close to the sun when John "Save the Fetus!" Kasich says, 'Hold up now.'

ultron87

Glad to hear and what I was hoping he'd do. Getting the 20 week one in while this one took all the heat is frustrating, but that's at least a time frame that won't affect most of the procedures done. And it isn't one where a woman might be past the limit before she even realizes she is pregnant.

Unfortunately, it just opens the door of what seems reasonable the next time they try to restrict it a little more.

Blader

That's good news. I still don't really buy Kasich's nice guy moderate makeover this year, but things like this -- deliberately not wasting taxpayer money in defending doomed and clearly unconstitutional laws -- are nice reminders of what actual responsible, fiscal conservatism looks like, in contrast to the crazed ideological drive of a lot of GOP politicians.

Glad to hear and what I was hoping he'd do. Getting the 20 week one in while this one took all the heat is frustrating, but that's at least a time frame that won't affect most of the procedures done. And it isn't one where a woman might be past the limit before she even realizes she is pregnant.

Unfortunately, it just opens the door of what seems reasonable the next time they try to restrict it a little more.

I agree. I may be out of step with other liberals in that I don't have as big a problem, personally, with 20-week or 24-week abortion bans on a practical level, given that the vast majority of abortions happen within that time frame. But I don't like the principle of laws that are circumventing Roe v. Wade like this, and like you said, end up pushing the line in what's still acceptable.

Linkura

Thank you, Kasich, for not signing this bullshit law and setting the state up for a court battle. Signing the 20 weeks bill sucks but I'll take what I can get.

Kasich isn't great, but he is infinitely better than Tump, that's for sure. Would have been nice to get a somewhat reasonable politician as President if the Dems had to lose...

RedHill

Banned
Watching conservatives going so hard for the "life" of a fetus amazes me when at the same time they don't give two shits about the lives of minorities and how their actions harm them.

Not

Banned
Watching conservatives going so hard for the "life" of a fetus amazes me when at the same time they don't give two shits about the lives of minorities and how their actions harm them.

Cognitive dissonance. Necessary human trait that always seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is good to see. The heartbeat bill was fucking outrageous.

As someone who is pretty staunchly pro-choice, I can't really feel too up in arms over a 20 week ban. It's at least long enough for the incredibly vast majority of women to know they are pregnant and make an informed decision about what is best for them and their future. It may not be perfect but it's at least not egregiously unreasonable.

20 weeks is more reasonable and at that point it gets harder to argue that you don't have a human there. If I recall 22-23 weeks is when a baby is considered "viable"

sajj316

Good on the 6 week thing. But 20 weeks is still pushing it. Hope that gets challenged too and put back to 24 weeks.

20 weeks is pushing it? You find out the child's sex at 20 weeks. 16 weeks at the earliest but def. at 20 weeks. If you didn't know you're pregnant by then .. I don't know what to say. Regarding viability, it's what like 50% survival at 23 weeks if born premature.

20 weeks is pushing it? You find out the child's sex at 20 weeks. 16 weeks at the earliest but def. at 20 weeks. If you didn't know you're pregnant by then .. I don't know what to say. Regarding viability, it's what like 50% survival at 23 weeks if born premature.

It's pushing it in comparison to the current standard of about 24 weeks. A mother knowing she is pregnant generally isn't part of my personal consideration on when they should be allowed to pursue an abortion.

Basically it's a great way to shave off 4 weeks of the current expectation.

Jeremy

I may disagree with his feelings on abortion (everyone should have access, and it's the parents' choice), but I absolutely love the logical conclusion that he came to and vetoed for practical reasons for the state.

Definitely something a little refreshing about it.

ZOONAMI

Reasonable to veto the heart beat bill but was clearly a Trojan horse for the 20 weeks so still disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom