• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Exclusive – 14 Corvette Stingray Free on PSN

Ravage

Free cars wooot!

1237240452958.jpg

LOL ^^

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Of course it's marketing and a win for the player at the same time.

I also find it sort of funny advertising considering the youth in the country is not rich enough to initially invest in a big time car like a Corvette. There are definitely some who can but they are the exception, not the norm.

Same reason they sell car posters and license to toy companies: they will grow up. They want future buyers of these cars 'growing up' while worshiping Corvette vs M3.

The fact we're talking about it is a marketing win.

I also find it sort of funny advertising considering the youth in the country is not rich enough to initially invest in a big time car like a Corvette. There are definitely some who can but they are the exception, not the norm.

While they might be targeting youth with the car, if they've done their research then i'm sure they know that GT has a pretty large group of older car enthusiasts that play it. I'm guessing with the youth it's more about them just trying to get them turned onto the brand, so when they do have enough money they'll fall for another Corvette down the line. Right now I think a lot of younger car fans are more into Japanese cars or the exotic European cars. But those European cars will almost always be out their price range. So they can target them and try to win them over.

Bog

Junior Ace
A 14 foot Corvette? Awesome.

Looking forward to downloading later. Hope we get to keep the stealth.

What? No. No. No.gif

It's a sexy car. It's not Corvette though. Nor is it a Stingray. Should've called it something else (it's more Camero than either of the other two), really.

But it's not an ugly car.

Yeah, the lack of the round rear lights alone makes it un-Corvettish.

Also, reading the thread title I thought it was going to be about a 14 foot Corvette.

Yeah, the lack of the round rear lights alone makes it un-Corvettish.

Also, reading the thread title I thought it was going to be about a 14 foot Corvette.

Um... if I recall correctly... the original Stingrays of the 60s were pretty drastic departures from the initial Corvettes. This is no different.

New car and new track soon? YAY

The glimpses of the new track look a bit green though. willow springs is in the middle of a desert isnt it? Maybe its just the filter.

I know they love using the same grass texture in every single track but I would love some more visual variation in tracks. All the tracks set in a clear sunny day with perfect green grass and trees everywhere sort of blend together after a while.

Laguna Seca looks like it could be down the road from the Nürburgring which looks like its down the road from Motegi. They could do a better job making everything look different. Different default day times for example instead of every track being set at noon with a perfect clear sky.

ascii42

While they might be targeting youth with the car, if they've done their research then i'm sure they know that GT has a pretty large group of older car enthusiasts that play it. I'm guessing with the youth it's more about them just trying to get them turned onto the brand, so when they do have enough money they'll fall for another Corvette down the line. Right now I think a lot of younger car fans are more into Japanese cars or the exotic European cars. But those European cars will almost always be out their price range. So they can target them and try to win them over.

Exactly. When they were introducing the car, they used the word "aspirational" several times. They want people to grow up wanting the car.

Nice job PD, that trailer offers the best overall view/understanding of the design than i've seen anywhere. Watching the vehicle in motion... its pretty damn sexy.

Emwitus

There are other car games that have DLC too. I'm sure quality of the game is part of the reason.

I'm also pretty sure some people who now work at chevy grew up playing gt and know what kind of game it is. Sometimes the name is all it takes to do this kind of stuff.

I'm also pretty sure some people who now work at chevy grew up playing gt and know what kind of game it is. Sometimes the name is all it takes to do this kind of stuff.

That... and (as much as people will balk at this) Polyphony is the DEFINITIVE racing simulation/entertainment house with a user base consisting of almost 10 million. There are many reasons auto manufacturers (Ferrari, Honda, and now Chevy) are choosing Polyphony to market their new cars.

Amazing trailer and really well executed cross-promotion deal, although I think it would have a stronger impact if PD, for example, released a Corvette Heritage DLC pack or something similar.

paskowitz

YXEcf.png

ibr0W1DJikQj1V.gif

C7 Stingray Trial Mountain and Deep Forest

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
Next Sunday 1/20

Allowed cars:
Only the new C7 Corvette Stingray will be allowed.

Tuning allowed:
No tuning is allowed.​
Tyre Selection
Sports hard​
Track:
Trial Mountain and Deep Forest​
Laps:
15 laps per trac
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: Normal
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (0 / 16):
  • 01 -
  • 02 -
  • 03 -
  • 04 -
  • 05 -
  • 06 -
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT
Race 2 quali will start promptly after race 1 finishes. After quali, race 2 will start immediately.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.
important.jpg

The point of a 'halo car' (named for the 'halo effect', the cognitive bias that causes us to attribute positive qualities to people we already like, regardless of whether or not they actually possess that specific quality) is to improve consumers' perceptions of the brand as a whole. Chevrolet doesn't make money selling Corvettes; they make money selling Cruzes on the reputation of the Corvette.

ascii42

The point of a 'halo car' (named for the 'halo effect', the cognitive bias that causes us to attribute positive qualities to people we already like, regardless of whether or not they actually possess that specific quality) is to improve consumers' perceptions of the brand as a whole. Chevrolet doesn't make money selling Corvettes; they make money selling Cruzes on the reputation of the Corvette.

And on the flip side, brands that don't offer sports cars, like Toyota and Honda (even though both have in the past), get labeled as boring. Is a Cruze any more exciting than a Corolla? Not really, but it's sold alongside the Camaro and Corvette.

spats

That was great. Can't wait to take the thing to photo mode. Not the biggest fan of the way it looks but I'll have fun playing around with this thing nonetheless.

That was great. Can't wait to take the thing to photo mode. Not the biggest fan of the way it looks but I'll have fun playing around with this thing nonetheless.

Oh man photo mode with this car...

Now they just need to add some more photo destinations hehe.

Bulk_Rate

Am I missing something or is this not actually available for download yet, at least on the US PSN store? I searched the store and the only thing that comes up is the C7 prototype.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I should start playing GT5 again. This is kind of awesome that this is a thing. New cars like this being unveiled and then being able to 'test drive' them immediately is a cool concept.

yeah this is super cool of everyone involved

vitacola

Small question regarding the prototype of the C7:
Do I have to buy it or should it be in my garage after downloading the DLC?

Can't wait to download this... Love the new C7 look and can't wait to get an early taste of what I'll be driving in a few months :)

Anyone know the music track? Custom PD or?

Pretty cool but I hate playing older PS3 games I haven't touched in a while because of ridiculously slow the updates are. By the time I get this updated my interest in playing it will have been long gone.

vitacola

Pretty cool but I hate playing older PS3 games I haven't touched in a while because of ridiculously slow the updates are. By the time I get this updated my interest in playing it will have been long gone.
I know what you're talking about. Bought my PS3 recently and wanted to play GT5, but I forgot about the wall of update. It took me seven hours to drive the first meters in GT5 ...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
At least they give a shit enough to still update the game.

I know what you're talking about. Bought my PS3 recently and wanted to play GT5, but I forgot about the wall of update. It took me seven hours to drive the first meters in GT5 ...

WHAT???? Seven hours???

I got into GT5 pretty late (about a month before spec 2.0 came out). My PS3 is connected via ethernet and it took roughly 1 hour for all the updates.

Top Bottom