• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
tzare said:
what is the problem with bundles? million sellers like halo have also been bundled to death and never seen people talking about that.
whatever, most gt sales come from Europe, and holiday season is about to kick off ....
I have no problems with bundles, I don't know where you got that from.
nib95 said:
Uncharted 1, 2 and GT5 Prologue say otherwise. These games were pretty slow burners.
Uncharted 1 and GT5P were heavily bundled with PS3s sold.

Uncharted 2 was not a slow burner, in fact, it was extremely front loaded.

tzare

manueldelalas said:
I have no problems with bundles, I don't know where you got that from.
well, maybe i misunderstood you, but seemed to me that selling via bundle was something 'bad' for GTPrologue's millionaire numbers. Like it was unfair.
Just giving examples that some games, especially first party, like Halo (or Forza which has also been heavily bundled) can use that strategy to sell more. Others just lower the price.

Uncharted 1 and GT5P were heavily bundled with PS3s sold.
i think i did not misunderstand you now

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
tzare said:
well, maybe i misunderstood you, but seemed to me that selling via bundle was something 'bad' for GTPrologue's millionaire numbers. Like it was unfair.
Just giving examples that some games, especially first party, like Halo (or Forza which has also been heavily bundled) can use that strategy to sell more. Others just lower the price.

i think i did not misunderstand you now
The thing about bundles, is that the sale of the game is not merit of the game itself, because a bundle symbolizes a huge slash in the price of the game.

To expand on that, take Uncharted for example. That game sold badly, really bad, but Sony knew they had a good game that could turn into a huge franchise. They bundled the hell out of that game, every new PS3 owner knew what Uncharted was; it raised the awareness of that game.

Ashes

Banned
manueldelalas said:
The thing about bundles, is that the sale of the game is not merit of the game itself, because a bundle symbolizes a huge slash in the price of the game.

To expand on that, take Uncharted for example. That game sold badly, really bad, but Sony knew they had a good game that could turn into a huge franchise. They bundled the hell out of that game, every new PS3 owner knew what Uncharted was; it raised the awareness of that game.

I live in Europe and you've got to be kidding me. I don't even remember a standalone advert on telly and I'm pretty sure they sold platinum editions of this game. Word of mouth did this game the favours in Europe.

Piggus said:
Let's see you ship 5.5 million games in under two weeks. Go! Clock is ticking,bro.
Post of the thread right here. It's impressive how well the game has done after all the delays and reviews. They'll need to kick it up for Gt6 though, it's not enough.

So, guesses as to where GT5 will end off? I'm saying 7 million.

Russell

Snuggler said:
if it shipped that many, it'll probably end up filling more landfills than ET lol
What are you trying to say?

The way you made the above quoted comment sounds like you would be amused if Gran Turismo 5 was a sales failure.

What the fuck?

Cyberia

So the game has now officially sold over 5.5 million copies.

Sony has revealed the worldwide sales total for PS3 exclusive, Gran Turismo 5, and the number is impressive. During their CES conference, Sony announced to the masses that since Gran Turismo 5 released in November, the software has sold over 5.5 million copies worldwide.

The Gran Turismo franchise has always been popular and Gran Turismo 5 seems to continue that trend. Back in November the title moved around 400,000 units in North America. With the December NPD scheduled to be released next week, we should see some big numbers posted for the month.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/gran-turismo-5-sales-top-5-5-million-worldwide

It means nothing but I was at Bestbuy two weeks ago and I saw the last copy being sold. A week before that, they had so many copies on shelves, I thought they would never get rid of them. Made me grin :)

Dragon

Banned
Majine said:
Uh no.

I saw the conference, and they said it had sold 5.5 million within the first 12 days.

Looks suspiciously like the 5.5 million sold to retailers in its first 12 days...

spats

Lion Heart said:
It means nothing but I was at Bestbuy two weeks ago and I saw the last copy being sold. A week before that, they had so many copies on shelves, I thought they would never get rid of them. Made me grin :)

This is kind of irrelevant to the thread, but you can still find gt4 on shelves over here and it still sells. I think PD still even tracks the sales on their site. GT games tend to sell for a long time.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
CaptYamato said:
But gaf told me it bombed...
You must be referring to GAF's reaction to November's NPD report on GT5 sales. That's the only time where I remember many people said it did lower (in US) than they expected.

Kagari said:
It was never going to bomb. Maybe sell less than previous entries, but it was still going to do over 5 million WW.

I know. Just like pointing out what people were saying about it last month. After see what it sold its first four days on sales.

manueldelalas said:

:lol

New IP sells 3+ million. This is not a failure or sold badly by any definition. Try harder.

-viper- said:
On Christmas Eve, the game was sold out at the Gamestation, Game and Tesco near me.

The local CeX had 3 shelves full of GT5 before xmas, I don't think I've ever seen so many copies of the same game in there.

Not that it matters, I suppose.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Boombloxer said:
:lol

New IP sells 3+ million. This is not a failure or sold badly by any definition. Try harder.
Reading is FUNdamental... Uncharted sold like shit at first, that is a fact, you don't like facts?, go to Gamefaqs or PS3forums. Did I say it was a failure anywhere? Nope I didn't. Try harder (I mean, you could try reading what the talk was about, and try to not quote and give an out of context opinion).

Uncharted was a heavy investment for Sony, they bundled it to increase awareness (and sales) of the game, platinium also helped; when Uncharted 2 was released, it sold WAY better, because people knew the franchise, and they knew it was good. By now, it is probably the second best franchise (in terms of money maker) that Sony has; they can easily make one game every two years, with a not so big team, and sales are actually quite good. GT franchise is probably a bottomless money sucker by now...

My girl gifted me GT5 for Christmas. Grinding through at the moment, lvl 18. Done most of the licenses. Working on pro and expert events.

I can't fecking stand the music in this game. I feel like I'm going to see a pussy pop up at anytime while in the menu, for christ sake.

The photo mode is great.

The cars looks great.

The engine sound is there.

The feeling of speed is there.

All assist off, personal settings on your cars that suit your driving. I like.

BUT WHERE IS MY FUCKING PORSCHE???? !!!!!

Once I get bored, Forza 4 will come in handy.

Good for them. Hopefully they can spend some of that money on patches that reduces theloading times so it becomes a bit more playable than what it is now.

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
I can't fecking stand the music in this game. I feel like I'm going to see a pussy pop up at anytime while in the menu, for christ sake.

The photo mode is great.

The cars looks great.

The engine sound is there.

The feeling of speed is there.

All assist off, personal settings on your cars that suit your driving. I like.

BUT WHERE IS MY FUCKING PORSCHE???? !!!!!

Once I get bored, Forza 4 will come in handy.

This might not be the best topic to discuss the game itself... But yeah, you can set all the pussypop songs OFF from the soundtrack menu. I only use the electro and rock songs.

actual topic here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415162

Top Bottom