• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

duckroll

http://www.4gamer.net/games/098/G009884/20101210024/

Sony put out a press release today announcing that in 12 days GT5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide. The GT series has also shipped over 60 million copies in total now. Lulz. Channel stuffing!

6jg6xs.png

nib95

Banned
Well, so much for doom and gloom GT5 sales. Once again, proof that the US isn't the only important gaming sales territory in the world.

Bomba indeed....

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Phaethon0017 said:
Best debut for a PS3 exclusive isn't it?

Edit: Shipped. But is it still the best?

Sure it is. Nothing comes even close.

duckroll

_Alkaline_ said:
Why must it always been shipped and not sold?

It's really simple. A company will release information they have. A publisher always knows exactly how much they have shipped, because they're the ones selling it to retail. Hence they will put out press releases about shipping milestones because that's what is important to them and their shareholders. It's not hard to understand.

nib95

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Why must it always been shipped and not sold?

Because stock holders and publishers don't care about sold. Shipped is as good as to them as the orders are in, stock is shipped. It's the supply chain that's loaded up if those shipped items don't sell. But the thinking is the retail channel has a fairly good idea of the demand expected as to order sensible quantities.

Add this too.

duckroll said:
It's really simple. A company will release information they have. A publisher always knows exactly how much they have shipped, because they're the ones selling it to retail. Hence they will put out press releases about shipping milestones because that's what is important to them and their shareholders. It's not hard to understand.

Blablurn

nice numbers. furthermore GT5 is one of these games that will have looong legs! well done PD. can't wait to plait it next year.

duckroll

XiaNaphryz said:
No breakdown by territory I'm guessing?

Nope, unfortunately there's no breakdown. They do spend a whole paragraph pimping the GT franchise,and another paragraph pimping all the features GT5 has though!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snuggler said:
if it shipped that many, it'll probably end up filling more landfills than ET lol

Congratulations, you've made the stupidest post on GAF.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
nib95 said:
Because stock holders and publishers don't care about sold.
Well, they do care in the cases that they get hit with fees if shipped stock isn't selling and impacts P&L due to whatever the penalty hit ends up being.

duckroll

Shurs said:
There is a breakdown in the press release for North America, Europe, Japan, Asia. North America also includes some Latin American countries. It breaks it down for each game.

Oh cool. I'll put that in the OP.

duckroll said:

nib95 said:
Because stock holders and publishers don't care about sold. Shipped is as good as to them as the orders are in, stock is shipped. It's the supply chain that's loaded up if those shipped items don't sell. But the thinking is the retail channel has a fairly good idea of the demand expected as to order sensible quantities.

Cheers guys. Just thought it was odd that Nintendo always seems to have sold figures in its press releases yet Sony always seems to go with shipped, which confused me since I figured shareholders would care more about the latter. I was wondering why this discrepancy existed?

Cels

shagg_187 said:
Wonder how many of it shipped to North America since NPD's 400K sold is pretty intriguing.

6jg6xs.png

1.25M shipped in NA after 12 days
400K sold to NA USA consumers from November 24-27 (from NPD)

I guess Sony must be pleased about GT5 sales...although the PS3 sure got whooped in NA the month of November. Maybe GT5 will help move systems in December?

nib95

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Credit to shurs:

Gran Turismo 5

Japan-0.55
North and Latin America-1.25
Europe-3.56
Asia-0.16
Total-5.52

Damn, us Europeans sure love us some GT. I'm glad in a way, because cars make for a good change from violent first person shooters lol. I believe Assassin's Creed does particularly well in Europe too?

Also, just to clarify, obviously sold numbers do matter too, I just meant with respect to releasing figures.

shwimpy

So based on the numbers we have so far (media create, npd, whatever the europe charts are called), how much has it sold?

nib95

Banned
Zinga said:
There must be a lot of copies gathering dust on store shelves then!

Bear in mind, NPD results were for 4 days, the above figures whilst not sold, are for 12 days. Who knows how much GT5 sold in those additional 8 days. We'll have a better understanding come the end of December.

duckroll

shwimpy said:
So based on the numbers we have so far (media create, npd, whatever the europe charts are called), how much has it sold?

I don't think we have any numbers from Europe sources yet, but JP + US is about a million. If we assume that it does about 2x what US does in Europe like it usually does, then it should have sold about 2 million worldwide so far?

SolidSnakex said:
Over 2 million just based on the territories that we know.

Really? What Europe numbers do we have? I'm lost here. :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shwimpy said:
Euro charts do not have numbers, and we seldom get any sort of reasonable data from them. It's basically a big black void.

Media create has 450k or so after the first two weeks, and we have 400k on NPD for first 3days. Probably looking at a million for NA+JPN.

Zinga

Banned
nib95 said:
Bear in mind, NPD results were for 4 days, the above figures whilst not sold, are for 12 days. Who knows how much GT5 sold in those additional 8 days. We'll have a better understanding come December.

Games are always front loaded because of preorders, so if you are including bundles there's no way that GT5 sold twice as much in the following 8 days in the USA than it did with on the first few launch days and with preorder sales.

Top Bottom