• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

nib95

Banned
Zinga said:
Games are always front loaded because of preorders, so if you are including bundles there's no way that GT5 sold twice as much in the following 8 days in the USA than it did with on the first few launch days and with preorder sales.

Perhaps the above figures include bundles too, who knows. Or it did relatively close to (given the general discrepancy between shipped and sold) the initial days sales over those given 8. All guess work at the mo. There is obviously a chance that retail is stuffed with supplies, but honestly, I doubt it is to an extreme level. Pre-orders generally give them a good idea of demand and what to expect following from that.

Firewire

Banned
Zinga said:
Games are always front loaded because of preorders, so if you are including bundles there's no way that GT5 sold twice as much in the following 8 days in the USA than it did with on the first few launch days and with preorder sales.
Its not bundled in the US and the series has incredibility long legs.

duckroll

nib95 said:
Perhaps the above figures include bundles too, who knows. Or it did relatively close to (given the general discrepancy between shipped and sold) the initial days sales over those given 8. All guess work at the mo. There is obviously a chance that retail is stuffed with supplies, but honestly, I doubt it. Pre-orders generally give them a good idea of demand and what to expect following from that.

You *doubt* that channel stuffing happens? Really? ....Really?

duckroll said:
I don't think we have any numbers from Europe sources yet, but JP + US is about a million. If we assume that it does about 2x what US does in Europe like it usually does, then it should have sold about 2 million worldwide so far?

Sounds about right, close to 2 million WW in the first week. Pretty reasonable to estimate about another 1.5-2 million by the end of this month, so I'm thinking 3.5-4 million sold by December's end, selling out most of the first shipment.

nib95

Banned
duckroll said:

I edited. I meant to the extreme level as some of the posts were suggesting. I.e ET levels of stock piling. I have no doubt that with respect to GT5 a fair bit of it has occurred just based on the NPD numbers.

KingDizzi

Banned
Zinga said:
There must be a lot of copies gathering dust on store shelves then!

Silly comment, especially when we have a breakdown of regions. Of course there is channel stuffing, not the amount people are making it out to be.

Japan: 480k sold now according to Media Create so 70k left there
NA: 400K not including bundles so again not a huge deal left, second thoughts quite alot left.
EU: No idea, only know it sold 40k in Finland, 300k in UK, 250k or so in France, best selling PS3 title in Australia etc so can see those 3.5 million copies being sold no problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course. :p

KingDizzi said:
Silly comment, especially when we have a breakdown of regions. Of course there is channel stuffing, not the amount people are making it out to be.

Japan: 480k sold now according to Media Create so 70k left there
NA: 400K not including bundles so again not a huge deal left, second thoughts quite alot left.
EU: No idea, only know it sold 40k in Finland, 300k in UK, 250k or so in France, best selling PS3 title in Australia etc so can see those 3.5 million copies being sold no problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course. :p
These numbers seem pretty bad to me. In particular for Europe.

Mrbob

Firewire said:
Its not bundled in the US and the series has incredibility long legs.

I didn't think so either, but I saw a 160GB GT5 bundle at Best Buy when I was there yesterday. Not sure if this is Best Buy exclusive or not. I don't even see the bundle on the Best Buy website but I know I'm not crazy as I saw it there. I think. :lol

I just checked again at Best Buy and it looks like this bundle is only supposed to be sold with TVs but the store had them out in an aisle by themselves in the gaming section:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electro...00050017.c?id=pcmcat227100050017&DCMP=rdr1430

So maybe Sony gave them a directive to be able to sell this package by itself to move hardware.

Visualante said:

It appears to be up or on level with all the other games in the series in Europe. People have a weird perception that GT is this series that sales a shit ton right away. In the UK the first 3 games combined only sold around 280k in their first week. Despite that GT2 and GT3 eventually sold over 600k there. It's just a slow burn and quite different from most other games out there.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I swear at some point in the last few years Sony said they would be only be releasing numbers based on sales to end consumers, not sales to retail. Have they just quietly reverted back to shipped numbers?

Rhindle

hamchan said:
Their game just shipped 5.5 million copies?
That's like congratulating your team for getting on the field. They're obviously going to sell through that number eventually, the question is how much beyond that they get.

Piggus said:
Let's see you ship 5.5 million games in under two weeks. Go! Clock is ticking,bro.
Wow, awesome argument bro.

Piggus

That's called a joke, sir.

Rhindle said:
That's like congratulating your team for getting on the field. They're obviously going to sell through that number eventually, the question is how much beyond that they get.

Wow, awesome argument bro.

You don't know much about Gran Turismo, do you? The series has some crazy long legs when it comes to sales. Sony isn't dumb. They've been doing this for a long time. Those copies aren't going to be sitting on store shelves for long.

Blame!

cvxfreak said:
Huge drop from GT3 to GT4 in North America...

2d6ntww.jpg

Well for Japan they have sold 485k so far , so they should sell there first shipment out over there .
Still don't think it going sell much more over there going by second week numbers.

Hopefully Sony just tells PD to start prepping GT6 for the PS4. That should 3-4 years out. While they do that they can continue to update GT5 with different Specs.

Mrbob said:
I didn't think so either, but I saw a 160GB GT5 bundle at Best Buy when I was there yesterday. Not sure if this is Best Buy exclusive or not. I don't even see the bundle on the Best Buy website but I know I'm not crazy as I saw it there. I think. :lol

I just checked again at Best Buy and it looks like this bundle is only supposed to be sold with TVs but the store had them out in an aisle by themselves in the gaming section:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electro...00050017.c?id=pcmcat227100050017&DCMP=rdr1430

So maybe Sony gave them a directive to be able to sell this package by itself to move hardware.

gt5.jpg

Blame!

so this whole shipped vs. sell through distinction.....can retail stores return games that are left unsold in the channel or has sony basically made 5 million x 60 bucks or whatever?

Blame! said:
so this whole shipped vs. sell through distinction.....can retail stores return games that are left unsold in the channel or has sony basically made 5 million x 60 bucks or whatever?

They can return them i think, but i doubt they will need to return these.

nib95 said:
Bear in mind, NPD results were for 4 days, the above figures whilst not sold, are for 12 days. Who knows how much GT5 sold in those additional 8 days. We'll have a better understanding come the end of December.

Yeah, the NPD just recorded the first 4 days of sales for GT5. They didn't even have the 1st week sales of it.

big_z

Snuggler said:
if it shipped that many, it'll probably end up filling more landfills than ET lol

lol. stores usually return them for discounts on future games... some times refund. i really doubt GT5 has sold anywhere near 5.5m. im sure it's sold well but i dont think the franchise is as popular as it once was. there's also tons in stock everywhere too.

this is probably like the move where sony claims big numbers but actual sold is much less.

duckroll said:
It's really simple. A company will release information they have. A publisher always knows exactly how much they have shipped, because they're the ones selling it to retail. Hence they will put out press releases about shipping milestones because that's what is important to them and their shareholders. It's not hard to understand.

I get this but Microsoft and Nintendo seem perfectly able to give out sold numbers. Seems to be a lot more about Sony policy than anything else.

KingDizzi

Banned
Visualante said:

Japan and NA are taken care of but yeah not sure about EU, that is a lot of copies.

Blame! said:

Sony have made their money however I think retailers can sell copies back, not sure though. Again we only really have solid Japan and NA figures, both of which will get through their first shipment no problem. EU I have no clue, we have bits n pieces for figures but from what we know it's selling as expected which is well. If 3 million were shipped in NA and 1 million in Japan there would probably be issues, not with this amount though. If I had to put £1 down I would say that in EU that shipment will be sold with no issues at all, GT games are well known to have legs in that region. Even GT5:p kept on selling in NA and EU but particularly the latter.

For example this article: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/22/scea-very-pleased-with-north-american-gt5-prologue-sales/ from two years ago said 550k copies were shipped in NA, 300K Japan/Asia and 1380k in EU. The latest figures we have are 740k in Japan including that 2008 spec III bundle, 1210k in NA and 3020k in EU. So the game will just keep chugging along, get bundled in Japan and other regions if there is another shipment and that is about it. No idea how many have actually been sold though, just working with what we have however anyone with the IQ exceeding a banana would know that regions would not keep asking for more shipments were it not selling.

I can understand people saying sales are meh in Japan and NA because that is exactly what they are however the shipped numbers are not huge so getting through that is not the issue, shipping more however is another story. EU is the biggie, unless it's selling terribly here which I doubt, Sony has most definitely not overshipped by millions.

bigtroyjon said:
I get this but Microsoft and Nintendo seem perfectly able to give out sold numbers. Seems to be a lot more about Sony policy than anything else.

Those companies must have internal trackers or something, can't recall Sony ever giving anything but shipped numbers and that includes the PS2 glory days. Shipping is all that matters to companies anyway, that is what pays for their meals with the actual sales being retailers problems. More I think of it the more it seems likely retailers don't sell back, for example MH tri went into the bomba bins for a long ass time where in theory they should have been able to sell back to Capcom.

modulaire

I'm from Germany and there are SO many people I know playing GT5, it's not even funny.

I have no doubt the European shipped numbers are a good indication of units sold.

chris0701

See You Next Wednesday said:
Yeah, the NPD just recorded the first 4 days of sales for GT5. They didn't even have the 1st week sales of it.

With almost 1m sales(to consumer),it is safe to predict GT5 will be on top5 sales ranking next month.

(really?)

amar212

duckroll said:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/098/G009884/20101210024/

Sony put out a press release today announcing that in 12 days GT5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide. The GT series has also shipped over 60 million copies in total now. Lulz. Channel stuffing!

Duck, sorry for my disknowledge, but Herald states "sold" in their text:

"Gran Turismo® Series Sales Exceed 60 Million Units Worldwide
Over 5.5 Million Units of Gran Turismo®5 Sold Worldwide 12 Days After Release"

"As of December 6, more than 5.5 million units of Gran Turismo 5 have been sold worldwide."

Here is the link:

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/12/10/2680126/gran-turismo-series-sales-exceed.html#ixzz17gqVLrTm

What is the discrepancy here? Thanx for insight.

Kujo

kenta said:
I swear at some point in the last few years Sony said they would be only be releasing numbers based on sales to end consumers, not sales to retail. Have they just quietly reverted back to shipped numbers?
You maybe thinking of how they used to report numbers including shipped to warehouses and then changed it to just sold to retail, which is inline with what other companies do

Does it actually matter anything if it shipped or sold, Sony made their money and retailers can´t sell it back to Sony right? or can they?
(serious question)

NeoUltima

chris0701 said:
Sold = shipped to retailer now.

Unless it was noted to be "sold to consumer"
Or rather, sold to retail.

amar212 said:
Is that assumption or valid fact?
It would be near impossible track how much has been sold through to consumers at this point. Sony would have to get that data from every outlet in the world selling the game.

The Dutch Slayer said:
Does it actually matter anything if it shipped or sold, Sony made their money and retailers can´t sell it back to Sony right? or can they?
(serious question)

It's different for each country. Japan can't sell it back. US I believe you can or you can get rebates/discounts on future items bought from a company, etc.

chris0701

amar212 said:
Is that assumption or valid fact?

Vaild fact.

"Sold" in PR is just same as it is used in company fiscal report.

Or you can believe GT5 sold almost 0.8m in America last week.:lol

The Dutch Slayer said:
(serious question)

In the US retailers can return product that isn't selling. Read the book "Game Over" and you'll see how Nintendo learned this lesson the hard way back in the 80's.

duckroll

When a publisher says they have sold [x] copies, that is how much they have shipped. A publisher does not sell to individuals (unless via digital distribution directly), but to retailers and distributors. How much they have sold, is how much has shipped into the market. Actual consumer sales are then tracked by different data tracking companies around the world.

amar212

chris0701 said:
Vaild fact.
"Sold" in PR is just same as it is used in company fiscal report.
Or you can believe GT5 sold almost 0.8m in America last week.:lol

I have no idea :lol:

Thanx mate.

duckroll said:
When a publisher says they have sold [x] copies, that is how much they have shipped. A publisher does not sell to individuals (unless via digital distribution directly), but to retailers and distributors. How much they have sold, is how much has shipped into the market. Actual consumer sales are then tracked by different data tracking companies around the world.

Thanx Duck.

lupinko

duckroll said:

Well that does happen, but if you notice on that chart, for both the PSP GT and GT5P, they also include PSN downloads.

I don't know how you can really do channel stuffing on the digital front. lol

duckroll said:

uhh, both microsoft and nintendo have recently given sold to consumer numbers. Microsoft for Kinect and Nintendo for their hardware black Friday numbers. Both were confirmed by the companies to be sold to the end consumer.

Top Bottom