• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

spats

Callibretto said:
how's the advertising for GT5? maybe the botched launch make some people not aware that it's actually out so they're late to buy it?

I haven't seen a damn thing, but I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not a good indication. However from what I've seen on the net, the SCEE tv ads and print ads have been piss.

Garjon

duckroll said:
Every publisher says how many they sold. That is how many units they shipped. If they have more information later on, for example after a NPD release, they might include such information while citing the source, in either a new press release, or as information in an interview or shareholders meeting, etc.

Here's the thing though: All sell-through numbers are estimates. This might be shocking to some people who don't know this, but in reality no one knows exactly how many units of anything is actually sold in retail, ever. It's a matter of tracking a large number of retailers, and then extrapolating those numbers using scientific formulas, to reach a close estimate of how units of a product has been sold.
According to Jtyettis, the Big Three know how much they're selling at retail due to barcode scans or something like that. I know Microsoft do this, but I'm not sure about the others.

Or did you just mean NPD numbers?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
The next shippment doesn't have to be another 5mil...

And always with the bundles :lol

Btw, GT4 Prologue wasn't free either and it was named Gran Turismo 4 Prologue

Yeah but a lil game called Gran Turismo 3 had sold 14 million copies by then. I'm guessing demand wasn't at an all time high for a Gran Turismo experience.

shintoki said:
I believe they are. Hence why GT3 sold so much. :lol
That and at the time it came out, there really wasn't much good on PS3 (especially a truly great game, since most were short). I remember many not into racers even bought it. After GT3 came out, a bunch of games started to come. It was also known as the go to racer back then when the PS brand was at the strongest in NA.

GT5 is doing decent. I don't expect it to outsell GT4, but still expect good numbers.

Mandoric

Banned
Garjon said:
According to Jtyettis, the Big Three know how much they're selling at retail due to barcode scans or something like that. I know Microsoft do this, but I'm not sure about the others.

Or did you just mean NPD numbers?

This is probably referring to the warranty barcodes on hardware.

Elios83

Gran Turismo 5 is selling really well worldwide and is probably pushing hardware in Europe.
Also shipments seems really close to the actual sell through, 480k sold in Japan versus 550k shipped. 1.25 shipped in US+Canada+Latin America versus 400k sold first three days just in the US. The european number is huge.
When the game gets bundled next year it will surpass 10m LTD.

Kenka

Elios83 said:
Gran Turismo 5 is selling really well worldwide and is probably pushing hardware in Europe.
Also shipments seems really close to the actual sell through, 480k sold in Japan versus 550k shipped. 1.25 shipped in US+Canada+Latin America versus 400k sold first three days just in the US. The european number is huge.
When the game gets bundled next year it will surpass 10m LTD.

Japanese sales have sunk week 2. GT5 may not get a second shipment.

offshore

Solid numbers, espeically considering how botched the launch was. Three patches already, rushed reviews, and the small matter of online being, in Kaz's own words, "in a critical state."

Serenity

OldJadedGamer said:
gt5.jpg

I got this bundle when I bought my 3d bravia they have it in the aisle but you only get it with the tv.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kenka said:
Japanese sales have sunk week 2. GT5 may not get a second shipment.

486k sold, 65k copies left on shelves, 55k sold last week...

...you think those 65k will never sell?

I'm sure some retailers already have second orders in going by those numbers.

offshore said:
Solid numbers, espeically considering how botched the launch was. Three patches already, rushed reviews, and the small matter of online being, in Kaz's own words, "in a critical state."
but those numbers are numbers sold to retailers. no matter how botched the launch was, retailers were going to logically bet that the game would be a major seller and consequently buy lots of copies. we won't know if retailers bought more copies than they needed to for some time.

at least, if I'm understanding this process correctly.

offshore

Dreams-Visions said:
but those numbers are numbers sold to retailers.
Yeah sure, but it seems like GT5 has sold a sizable chunk of those numbers, certainly going by the Japanese shipped/sold numbers at least.

szaromir

Banned
offshore said:
Yeah sure, but it seems like GT5 has sold a sizable chunk of those numbers, certainly going by the Japanese shipped/sold numbers at least.
Yeah sure, but it seems like GT5 has not sold a sizable chunk of those numbers, certainly going by the NA shipped/US sold numbers at least.

Don't take only one piece of data to prove your point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Dreams-Visions said:
but those numbers are numbers sold to retailers. no matter how botched the launch was, retailers were going to logically bet that the game would be a major seller and consequently buy lots of copies. we won't know if retailers bought more copies than they needed to for some time.

at least, if I'm understanding this process correctly.
Not about this post specifically, but you seem to really want the game to fail. What's the point?

szaromir said:
Yeah sure, but it seems like GT5 has not sold a sizable chunk of those numbers, certainly going by the NA shipped/US sold numbers at least.

But it's ok to take only one piece of data to prove the opposite point? How about 2 pieces of data? The game is topping charts and beating records everywhere in Europe.

Jubbly

Odd, the Sony Europe press release explicitly says "sold."

Tokyo, Dec 10, 2010 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that the cumulative worldwide sales of the Gran Turismo® franchise, a genre-defining racing and car-life simulator available on PlayStation®, PlayStation®2, PlayStation®3 (PS3®) and PSP®(PlayStation®Portable), has exceeded 60 million units* as of 6 December 2010. This remarkable sales figure was achieved in just 12 years and 11 months since the Japanese launch of the first title in the franchise, Gran Turismo, in December 1997.

The Gran Turismo franchise, from the original Gran Turismo to the latest Gran Turismo®5, has continued to evolve alongside the PlayStation platforms. With its outstanding game play, beautiful graphics and true to life driving simulation, the franchise is recognized as the world's number one automotive game title on the PlayStation format, receiving high regard not just from game fans, but also from professional racing drivers and members of the automotive industry.

The ninth installment of the world's best-selling racing franchise, Gran Turismo 5
for the PS3 system, features a completely new physics engine for an improved feel for steering during turns and drifts, delivering a more intuitive driving experience than ever before. The game also features an impressive line-up of more than 1,000 licensed cars from the world's top manufacturers. Other highly anticipated features include stereoscopic 3D support, real-time car damage, dynamic weather effects and a deep online and community feature set where players can race online with up to 16 players through PlayStation®Network. With the widest scope and depth of gameplay options in the Gran Turismo series, Gran Turismo 5 offers users an entertainment experience that is only possible on PS3. As of 6 December, more than 5.5 million units of Gran Turismo 5 have been sold worldwide. Gran Turismo 5 will further continue to contribute to the expansion of the PS3 platform.

For all Gran Turismo fans around the world, SCEI and the developer of the Gran Turismo series - Polyphony Digital Inc., will continue hereon to vigorously promote development of the Gran Turismo series, which can be expected to evolve even further through the PS3 platform and broadband network environment.

* Sell-in number

Didn't a MS or Sony press release a week or so ago claim that they "sold" x number of motion controllers when it was in fact 'sold to shops, not customers' ?

It's not up to me, but if it was, I'd create a thread dedicated to the tedious shipped vs. sold discussion that shits up every thread like this, and ban all talk of it anywhere else.

Baki

shagg_187 said:
Wait, it says sales? Unless they mean shipped.

So I guess 1.25 million shipped and 400K sold sounds about right.

NA =/= US. Lets not forget that 400K is an estimate and accounts for only 3 out of 12 days the game has been on sale in the US.

Looking at Japan the sell through rate is very good, 470K out of 550K.

Jubbly said:

Didn't a MS or Sony press release a week or so ago claim that they "sold" x number of motion controllers when it was in fact 'sold to shops, not customers' ?

Didn't you just answer your own question? Sold to Sony means Sold to retailers, which means Shipped on GAF.

NHale

szaromir said:

North America = US now? If you want to take only one piece of data at least understand it correctly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jubbly said:

When Sony (or indeed any company really) makes an unqualified statement about selling something, they mean sold to retail. Or you can assume that's the case. Occasionally they might mean sold to consumers, but if that's the case they'll usually qualify it as such.

For Sony, if they've sold something to retail it is 'sold' as far as they're concerned. Their end of the transaction is done.

We've been over this so many times in these threads...

Massa

Baki said:
NA =/= US. Lets not forget that 400K is an estimate and accounts for only 3 out of 12 days the game has been on sale in the US.

Looking at Japan the sell through rate is very good, 470K out of 550K.

It's not even just North America, it includes Latin America as well, which is not completely insignificant (more than 100k sold for God of War 3's first week for example).

Jubbly

gofreak said:
When Sony (or indeed any company really) makes an unqualified statement about selling something, they mean sold to retail. Or you can assume that's the case. Occasionally they might mean sold to consumers, but if that's the case they'll usually qualify it as such.

For Sony, if they've sold something to retail it is 'sold' as far as they're concerned. Their end of the transaction is done.

We've been over this so many times in these threads...

My humble apologies for never reading one of these sale threads before. I shall ensure that I read every post and every thread about specific topics prior to posting about anything else, ever :lol

Baki

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm not sure it bombed but it's pretty obvious it doesn't have the same impact that it used to as a system seller.

You're wrong. If you look at the Japanese numbers you would notice a noticeable bump in HW sales on GT5 release. I'm sure the same could be observed with the European release. Its only US where the GT was overshadowed by Black OPS and Assassins Creed that it didn't produce any noticeable effect on hardware.

szaromir

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
But it's ok to take only one piece of data to prove the opposite point? How about 2 pieces of data? The game is topping charts and beating records everywhere in Europe.
My point was not to look at only one region and not to state that others are alike.

This beating records part is surely a joke? Did you not see Blops numbers?

TheOddOne

Jubbly said:
That was Sony with the Move shipped numbers.

szaromir said:
My point was not to look at only one region and not to state that others are alike.

This beating records part is surely a joke? Did you not see Blops numbers?

I meant GT records. Selling better/faster then the previous games in several countries.

Cheech

This is Sony's idea of damage control. It's naive to think the timing is simple coincidence.

How much more of a shellacking is the PS3 going to have to take before some of you guys see the writing on the wall?

Woz

Nuclear Muffin said:
That seems to be a lot of copies sitting on US shelves. Somehow I doubt that it sold almost 800k in the 8 days following NPD's tracking...

NA = US + CA + Latin America

This post is quotable ad libitum

Road

Known GT5 estimated sell-through sales:

JP: 486k (2 weeks)
UK: ~410k (2 weeks)
US: 400k (1 week)
FR: 235k (1 week)
DE: 100k+ (1 week)
IT: 100k+ (1 week)
ES: 92k (1 week)
FI: 40k (2 weeks)

NA: ~400k
EU: ~977k
JP: ~486k

Total: over 1.86 million

Woz said:
NA = US + CA + Latin America

This post is quotable ad libitum

Do you really think that they would come close to accounting for 800k? really?

That would be triple what it sold in the US (which is by far the largest market in NA by an order of magnitude) in its first 4 days. That's a bold claim to make.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jubbly said:
My humble apologies for never reading one of these sale threads before. I shall ensure that I read every post and every thread about specific topics prior to posting about anything else, ever :lol

I apologise, I don't mean to be snarky, it just comes up so often. Maybe from now on, whoever makes an OP for these kinds of threads should be obliged to include an appendix that defines things :lol

Cheech said:
This is Sony's idea of damage control. It's naive to think the timing is simple coincidence.

How much more of a shellacking is the PS3 going to have to take before some of you guys see the writing on the wall?

I'm trying to figure out what your post means...people shouldn't talk about good PS3 sales related news because of NPD? You'd like more weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Road said:
Known GT5 estimated sell-through sales:

JP: 486k (2 weeks)
UK: ~410k (2 weeks)
US: 400k (1 week)
FR: 235k (1 week)
DE: 100k+ (1 week)
IT: 100k+ (1 week)
ES: 92k (1 week)
FI: 40k (2 weeks)

NA: ~400k
EU: ~977k
JP: ~486k

Total: over 1.86 million

Your "weeks" are a bit sketchy.

Woz

Nuclear Muffin said:
Do you really think that they would come close to accounting for 800k? really?

That would be triple what it sold in the US (which is by far the largest market in NA by an order of magnitude) in its first 4 days. That's a bold claim to make.

Eh, you acted like there was 800K copies sitting on shelves in US alone, I've just made clear that it's not the case.

Woz said:
Eh, you acted like there was 800K copies sitting on shelves in US alone, I've just made clear that it's not the case.

Of course it isn't 800k (the game would've sold a substantial amount of those over the following 8 days anyway)

But there does seem to be a large amount of them still unsold. Which seems to indicate some level of over shipment.

SmokyDave

Cheech said:

:lol

This post is awesome. I genuinely don't know what it means (What writing on the wall?) but I know that I like it.

"Can't you see the writing on the wall?!"

"Um, nope?".

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SmokyDave said:

This post is awesome. I genuinely don't know what it means (What writing on the wall?) but I know that I like it.

"Um, nope?".
He says that the PS3 is a failure or something like that.
Dunno really sales age is not my speciality.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh Europe, always pooping on parties

spats said:
I haven't seen a damn thing, but I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not a good indication. However from what I've seen on the net, the SCEE tv ads and print ads have been piss.
They've been specific commercials about the PS3 itself with more than 1 game shown, GT gets like 5 seconds of footage and is portrayed as just some racing game

Hanmik

Cheech said:

res_this_is_not_the_writing_on_the_wall_2.JPG

??? care to explain what you mean by Writing on the wall..?

h3ro

SmokyDave said:

"Um, nope?".

Read it in the voice of Cheech Marin. It gets better.

Top Bottom