• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

jett

D-Member
demosthenes said:
So how much does Sony make per game sold?

$50 * 5.5million is 275 million. So Sony isn't hurting financially from this at all, right?

According to Pachter they get $48.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
demosthenes said:
Ok...so $264 million. Even if half of those were returned for a full refund they easily cover their budget and then some.
I heard Prologue alone covered their budget

Teetris said:
I heard Prologue alone covered their budget

In a real business projects have individual budgets. So yea even though Prologue may have earned enough money to fund the whole of GT5, Sony still wants GT5 to be a commercial success on its own.

KingDizzi

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Sold in what? 2 or 3 days?

Yeah in a few days, watch it sell at best 60-70% of those few days for the whole month of December. We've heard this line for games like Killzone 2 and the second month was weaker, this game will do well finishing it's first shipment in NA. NA and Japan will probably not get another shipment again however EU? Insane first shipment however it's the only region where I have no doubt it will get more shipments. At worst 5 million in EU when it's all over.

demosthenes said:
In a real business projects have individual budgets. So yea even though Prologue may have earned enough money to fund the whole of GT5, Sony still wants GT5 to be a commercial success on its own.

Yeah, but the Prologue titles are really just small chunks of the full game that they put together to sell to consumers. I'm sure that we'll see one for GT6, assuming that it's not ready for the PS4 launch.

KingDizzi said:
Yeah in a few days, watch it sell at best 60-70% of those few days for the whole month of December. We've heard this line for games like Killzone 2 and the second month was weaker, this game will do well finishing it's first shipment in NA. NA and Japan will probably not get another shipment again however EU? Insane first shipment however it's the only region where I have no doubt it will get more shipments. At worst 5 million in EU when it's all over.

GT is a proven franchise, stuff like Killzone is just stupid being an unproven IP that has never sold huge.

Front loaded nature of sales is true, but big games don't stop selling, especially with eventual greatest hits rereleases.

Those numbers all sound about right. 400k sold in 3 days in US alone, in December I expect it to do better. It should be around a million sold in the US alone not counting the rest of NA. By January there will need to be another shipment to the US. The game will be just fine.

cilonen

I've seen some ads in the UK which are about 30 seconds of gorgeous HD shiny cars racing, edited nicely to a punchy soundtrack. The kicker being the text, slightly larger than a disclaimer, at the bottom of the screen reading 'Actual Gameplay Footage' fade to GT5 logo, then PS3 logo. Quite nice.

SYNTAX182

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, but the Prologue titles are really just small chunks of the full game that they put together to sell to consumers. I'm sure that we'll see one for GT6, assuming that it's not ready for the PS4 launch.

GT5 is the Prologue for GT6. Akyuk

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Once again: NPD brings out the worst in people. I, for one, am glad most of the numbers are hidden now. If GAF's obsession with "LOL BOMBA"s stopped, I think people would be more tolerable.

*ahem* Good news, suck it NPD thread and all that rot.

GodofWine said:
And shooting people from cars...

And turning cars into shooting machine gun cars.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Haunted said:
It's all we have.
Except it is most of the major players. Isn't Japan and UK both past 10% of worldwide sales, and US is something like 40% gave or take? I'd have to re-add up everything again, but you probably are at least looking at 50%+ of the market if not much more. The smaller countries do add up, but most of them are fractional compared to those 3.

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well, it kind of is if you look at the series history.
GT1 - a good game
GT2 - a bigger and better version of GT1
GT3 - a good game
GT4 - a bigger and better version of GT3
GT5 - a good game.
GT6 - a bigger and better version of GT5?

:p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
-viper- said:
GT1 - a good game
GT3 - a good game
GT5 - a good game.

bullshit.
When GT3 came around it was like a tornado, people were blown away.
But in a good way

lucius

It will do around 7-8 million in it's lifetime then trolls can still say "the series is dying" yet it still is bigger than Halo and Gears, both camps are happy.

JWong

Banned
Laughable that anyone thinks poorly of the "400k" NA sales.

Remember that the "GT5 demo" prologue sold 5 million.

lucius said:
It will do around 7-8 million in it's lifetime then trolls can still say "the series is dying" yet it still is bigger than Halo and Gears, both camps are happy.

Halo 3 sold close to 10 million, not sure about reach yet.

Afrikan

OldJadedGamer said:
Not according to NPD.

why are you bringing up NPD in a World Wide Shipped thread? :D

OJG, I'm surprised you don't have something NPD something, as a tag for as much as you have been mentioning it lately. :p

Afrikan said:
why are you bringing up NPD in a World Wide Shipped thread? :D

OJG, I'm surprised you don't have something NPD something, as a tag for as much as you have been mentioning it lately. :p

Because the person I quoted only used US sales?

JWong said:
Laughable that anyone thinks poorly of the "400k" NA sales.

lucius said:
i doubt GT5 will reach die hard fan status as Halo

its a sim racer fer cryin out loud

still....6 million lifetime for a racer is head and shoulders above what 99% of racing games sell

Baki

frAntic_Frog said:
i doubt GT5 will reach die hard fan status as Halo

its a sim racer fer cryin out loud

still....6 million lifetime for a racer is head and shoulders above what 99% of racing games sell

I guarantee you that GT5 will have an LTD of 10M.

spats

entrement said:
Was there any doubt this game was going to sell in the multi millions?

A lot of people said that GT wasn't relevant anymore and it would tank. I have a bunch of hilarious quotes saved up but don't have access to them right now.

carlosp

Banned
lets be honest, most of the americans cant even drive a car for real, only automatic and never really learned to drive either. Why should they then buy a simulation of an action in which they suck anyway?

-viper- said:
GT1 - a good game
GT3 - a good game
GT5 - a good game.

I see differently.......

GT1 I was blown away I was a crack head for that game.....

GT2 good game but I was bored after a few days and never really got into it like GT1.

GT3 Blown away....

GT4:Meh while it had a great list of cars I was bored to death with the game, Forza 1 was more fun because of the damage....

Haven't played GT5 but by going with the pattern I will like GT5..

I'm not sure why everyone expects GT to stop selling in it's first month. It's more of a title for adult gamers who don't line up at midnight launches or need to have the game immediately. It will have consistent sales long after it's off the charts. I've been surprised over the years at the people I found that play the GT series. I didn't even know some of these people played games but they were big into GT.

I'll be a part of the December sales. I played prologue and have been wanting GT5 but was in no rush to go buy during the holiday week.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
belvedere said:
Don't take it personally, he's displaying classic symptoms of post crow eating syndrome.
No he isn't, but some people here are displaying the classic symptoms of damage control.

If you look at sales of GT5 Prologue in the charts available (NPD, Euroland charts and Japan), you'll see that the sold figure is much lower than the 5 million said ITT; the only explanation for this is bundles (which is a good explanation in this particular case).

The 5.5 million shipped units has no relation with the amount of units sold.

In Japan, the used copies are flooding the stores; that means, people will stop buying the new game because it is more expensive, and it is probable that new copies will go soon to the "bomba bins" or returned to Sony; but the fact is that it will stop selling really soon then.

In the USA the situation is also bad. PS3 owners there are "day one buyers", and the only game I can think that sold more on the second month than the first is LBP; many cases as GT5 have occurred during he PS3 lifetime, games that were released at the end of a month, thus tracking a little amount of days in NPD, but the big majority stops selling, because the PS3 audience has that behavior. I would expect another 300k or 400k units sold in December on US soil and thats it, and if I had to bet, I would say it could go to sell 900k LTD and not more (unless it gets bundled with every PS3... like GT5P).

In Europe the situation is currently unknown, but we all expect the game to sell a lot better than in the USA and Japan; but I don't expect it to get anywhere near the numbers of previous iterations of GT.

All in all, obviously GT5 isn't a bomba, but it's undeniable that it's sales are really disappointing, and it won't get to sell 10 million units, there is absolutely no chance for that. It's a shame, Sony let one of their best team work for 5 years on a single game, and the results are not good; it will probably cover the costs of making the game, but it probably wasn't a good inversion.

nib95

Banned
Animator said:
Shit I don't know who to believe anymore. The NPD thread anti sony trolls or this.

Most of those guys don't have a clue as evidenced by this thread. Taking every and any opportunity to shout "bomba!!" even when there ins't a call for it.

manueldelalas said:
No he isn't, but some people here are displaying the classic symptoms of damage control.

If you look at sales of GT5 Prologue in the charts available (NPD, Euroland charts and Japan), you'll see that the sold figure is much lower than the 5 million said ITT; the only explanation for this is bundles (which is a good explanation in this particular case).

In Japan, the used copies are flooding the stores; that means, people will stop buying the new game because it is more expensive, and it is probable that new copies will go soon to the "bomba bins" or returned to Sony; but the fact is that it will stop selling really soon then.

In the USA the situation is also bad. PS3 owners there are "day one buyers", and the only game I can think that sold more on the second month than the first is LBP; many cases as GT5 have occurred during he PS3 lifetime, games that were released at the end of a month, thus tracking a little amount of days in NPD, but the big majority stops selling, because the PS3 audience has that behavior. I would expect another 300k or 400k units sold in December on US soil and thats it, and if I had to bet, I would say it could go to sell 900k LTD and not more (unless it gets bundled with every PS3... like GT5P).

In Europe the situation is currently unknown, but we all expect the game to sell a lot better than in the USA and Japan; but I don't expect it to get anywhere near the numbers of previous iterations of GT.

All in all, obviously GT5 isn't a bomba, but it's undeniable that it's sales are really disappointing, and it won't get to sell 10 million units, there is absolutely no chance for that. It's a shame, Sony let one of their best team work for 5 years on a single game, and the results are not good; it will probably cover the costs of making the game, but it probably wasn't a good inversion.

Good lord.
(Take a ban bet prove to everyone here your manly powers of deduction next)

I don't think you can draw those conclusions without a healthy dose of "my beliefs are justified and gospel". After so many iterations of Gran Turismo having a long tail of good sales and excellent PR... Why is it suddenly NOW a big issue? Go ahead logic it out for us. Why is this so terrible now and yet all the other iterations were ok?

Does it boil down to a tiny niche of hardcore GT lovers and everyone else was hoodwinked into buying the game over and over? Or are you saying it was all bundle and an ET landfill somewhere is full of GT copies because people ended up getting a game they don't want?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
UntoldDreams said:
Good lord.
(Take a ban bet prove to everyone here your manly powers of deduction next)

I don't think you can draw those conclusions without a healthy dose of "my beliefs are justified and gospel". After so many iterations of Gran Turismo having a long tail of good sales and excellent PR... Why is it suddenly NOW a big issue? Go ahead logic it out for us.
It is really simple. The people that bought a PS3 are not the same people that bought the PS1 or PS2. The audience behavior changes.

PS1 and PS2 where consoles bought mostly by normal people, what some people call now "causal gamers". The PS3 has a different audience than its predecessors.

It has been proven many times now, and there is not a single PS3 games that has had the kind of legs you are talking about because of this simple fact.

tzare

manueldelalas said:

what is the problem with bundles? million sellers like halo have also been bundled to death and never seen people talking about that.
whatever, most gt sales come from Europe, and holiday season is about to kick off ....

manueldelalas said:
It is really simple. The people that bought a PS3 are not the same people that bought the PS1 or PS2. The audience behavior changes.

PS1 and PS2 where consoles bought mostly by normal people, what some people call now "causal gamers". The PS3 has a different audience than its predecessors.

It has been proven many times now, and there is not a single PS3 games that has had the kind of legs you are talking about because of this simple fact.

You want to know what else is simple? Trying to pigeonhole entire demographics into small tiny preconceived boxes. There isn't a sub-race of humans who are the only ones who will buy a PS3.

There is after all a FINITE group of people out there who buy these entertainment consoles.

You could argue that a PS3 at $400 with 20 million customers can be considered a certain hardcore demographic or movie lovers. Sure its expensive it limits the demographic.

In a few years with price drops as they continue to sell to 60-80 million (and with price drops they eventually surely will) then you know what? That's the same SHARED demographic as everyone else on the planet including the original PS2 crowd.

I don't get why people want to BIN other people into nicely cut boxes expecting them to have push-button robot behavior.

nib95

Banned
manueldelalas said:

Uncharted 1, 2 and GT5 Prologue say otherwise. These games were pretty slow burners.

Top Bottom