• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Dutch Slayer said:
Does it actually matter anything if it shipped or sold, Sony made their money and retailers can´t sell it back to Sony right? or can they?
(serious question)
I know in the US, companies often have to allocate some amount of money on their P&L as contingency in case retailers can't move stock on shipments, as this money would go to the retailers who either have to return stock they can't unload or get some compensation for having to get rid of stock by sharply cutting price. This amount can grow higher than forecast if something doesn't move at all and there's too much supply in the channel.

For the life of me, I can't recall the exact terms] for this used on a P&L. I've been away from working on games too long now I guess. :lol

lupinko

gundamkyoukai said:
Well for Japan they have sold 485k so far , so they should sell there first shipment out over there .
Still don't think it going sell much more over there going by second week numbers.

You'd be surprised, considering how long GT5P's legs were. Its Spec III disc rerelease was also a charting seller too.

chris0701

bigtroyjon said:
uhh, both microsoft and nintendo have recently given sold to consumer numbers. Microsoft for Kinect and Nintendo for their hardware black Friday numbers. Both were confirmed by the companies to be sold to the end consumer.

At least the "sold" from both MS and Nintendo is noted to be "sold to consumer" for some specific report,the Sony ones never have it.

Not to mention we have two MOVE sales report which has been clarified to be shipped number by SCE,I do not think this term "sold" from Sony needs to be argued anymore.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Europe's buying power is clearly not to be underestimated. Looks like GT5 even exceeded Halo Reach's first 12 days of global sales (according to VGC). That's high praise in itself.

El-Suave

I'm impressed they actually got to make that many copies for the launch period. I thought getting Blu Ray manufacturing capacities was a big problem after the game missed it's release date. Apparently that wasn't the case.

lupinko

Thread needs more zombie Jeff Gordon.

jeffgordonmeme05.jpg

That can't be right... GAF told me it bombed!

And the channel stuffin comments are kinda ridiculous... You really think copies are gonna be sent back? Even more copies will be shipped.

SolidSnakex said:
That'll happen later this month.
Was it confirmed already? I remember Kaz said they were looking into it but nothing was confirmed.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
I know this is off-topic, and I apologize, but doesn't MS say how many sold? What makes them different? Sorry if this is a stupid question. :(

Every publisher says how many they sold. That is how many units they shipped. If they have more information later on, for example after a NPD release, they might include such information while citing the source, in either a new press release, or as information in an interview or shareholders meeting, etc.

Here's the thing though: All sell-through numbers are estimates. This might be shocking to some people who don't know this, but in reality no one knows exactly how many units of anything is actually sold in retail, ever. It's a matter of tracking a large number of retailers, and then extrapolating those numbers using scientific formulas, to reach a close estimate of how units of a product has been sold.

snap0212

The strange thing about sell through numbers is that none of the stores I buy games at give their numbers to anyone. I've once asked someone who works there and he told me that they sure know how many copies they've sold, but that it's not like the Publisher gets information that a copy got sold. I've always wondered how they even track the numbers in Europe.

Cataferal said:
Europe's buying power is clearly not to be underestimated. Looks like GT5 even exceeded Halo Reach's first 12 days of global sales (according to VGC). That's high praise in itself.
Why would you even mention this garbage site?

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm not sure it bombed but it's pretty obvious it doesn't have the same impact that it used to as a system seller.
If GTA4 wasn't a system seller back then, what makes you think any game will be a system seller this late in the generation? Outside of some special edition console bundles I don't see any game ending up being a system seller.

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, he posted on his Twitter account that it would be released later this month.

Sweet!

Zzoram

I'm going to wait for a GOTY or something to buy in. By then they should've fixed everything and added even more content. Waiting for GOTY editions this generation has proven to be the best for gameplay experience and content per dollar.

Metalmurphy said:
If GTA4 wasn't a system seller back then, what makes you think any game will be a system seller this late in the generation? Outside of some special edition console bundles I don't see any game ending up being a system seller.

GT5 is the first full GT on the PS3. GT3 was the first full GT on the PS2 and it moved systems when it was released.

OldJadedGamer said:
GT5 is the first full GT on the PS3. GT3 was the first full GT on the PS2 and it moved systems when it was released.
GT3 released early in PS2s life, which was kinda the point I was making.

SmokyDave

Very impressive numbers. Expected, but still impressive.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm not sure it bombed but it's pretty obvious it doesn't have the same impact that it used to as a system seller.
I'd say that was impossible to gauge given that anyone wanting a PS3 for GT5 could well have bought one in '08, expecting the game to be a week away.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that the hardcore GT fans had already picked up a PS3 for GT5 Prologue.

Metalmurphy said:
I still believe the idea that GTAIV wasn't a system seller is downright laughable. I worked in retail at the time, and in the weeks surrounding GTAIV's launch we were moving 360s and ps3 left and right.

And hell, even games like Halo: Reach have been shown to move hardware, and Reach was the third Halo FPS title on 360 released five years into the console's life.

I think hardware figures for GTAIV's launch month were a fluke. I can see NPD possibly altering the figures of some months to make up for past discrepancies vs shipment data or something, given they don't report and thus cannot provide altered totals.

spats

cant wait it to hit the bargain bin in 2 weeks LoL

congrats PD, you've deserved a successful launch.

yurinka

I think this is a good message for the GT's Bonus Round guys like Patcher who ignored it when talking about the main 2010 games.

amar212

yurinka said:
I think this is a good message for the GT's Bonus Round guys like Patcher who ignored it when talking about the main 2010 games.

GT5 is not a game, it's a software application :D

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Megadragon15 said:
Why would you even mention this garbage site?
Lack of options, and because it gives a general outline. What's the alternative for tracking sales figures nowadays, besides hearing it from the horse's mouth?

Razgreez

All this pointless sales conjecture and supposition. Yes it's good to discuss and even speculate however, patience is always the wiser cause. Logically i would speculate that GT5 should "easily" sell more than 5.5m in it's lifetime - but that's about as far as i would go...

WrikaWrek said:
Will take awhile for the next shipments i'm guessing.
In the US 1/3rd of it were gone in 4 days. (actually, even more since that shipping number is for NA and NPD is for US)
In Japan 4/5ths of it were gone in 1 week and 4 days.
In the EU it's probably even better.

So... where does your guess come from?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
In the US 1/3rd of it were gone in 4 days. (actually, even more since that shipping number is for NA and NPD is for US)
In Japan 4/5ths of it were gone in 1 week and 4 days.
In the EU it's probably even better.

So... where does your guess come from?

From Gran Turismo Prologue sales and games being very front loaded these days. Ps3 is not the Ps2 or PS1. I'm not expecting 10 million sales here.

But maybe i'm wrong. Bundles can always do the trick.

Edit: And before you say Prologue was a demo and shit....look, it was named Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and wasn't free.

WrikaWrek said:
From Gran Turismo Prologue sales and games being very front loaded these days. Ps3 is not the Ps2 or PS1. I'm not expecting 10 million sales here.

how's the advertising for GT5? maybe the botched launch make some people not aware that it's actually out so they're late to buy it?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Callibretto said:
how's the advertising for GT5? maybe the botched launch make some people not aware that it's actually out so they're late to buy it?

Marketing here has been great. I have no doubt Gt5 is gonna be selling major where i live, i see ads everywhere.

Heck they had one of those mercedes and a fine ass posing inside a mall just for the game.

Hanmik

Callibretto said:

In Denmark (Europe :D ) the game has just this week been getting some TV adverts. The past few weeks they have showed lots of Move Adverts and AC:Brotherhood. But yesterday I saw the first GT5 commercial..

WrikaWrek said:

Edit: And before you say Prologue was a demo and shit....look, it was named Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and wasn't free.
The next shippment doesn't have to be another 5mil...

And always with the bundles :lol

Btw, GT4 Prologue wasn't free either and it was named Gran Turismo 4 Prologue

Top Bottom