• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 in 3840 x 2160 resolution.

-viper-

Banned
gofreak said:
I think the 240fps was a seperate demonstration..at 1080p. I think one demo was about merging framebuffer outputs to produce that ultra-high resolution, and the other was about staggering frame rendering and stuff for higher fps.

The slides make it look that way anyway. I don't think it was 3840 x 2160 @ 240fps.

I wonder if this will be an option in the game :lol Or if this is Polyphony's early prep for a PS4 that's basically 4 seperate PS3s duct-taped together...

kidding..i think..
I wonder how far they could push the graphics of GT with 4 PS3s at 1080p native.

soco said:
i've been watching people work on stuff like this recently.

it's not on just one monitor, but aren't there already several console games that do multi-display output?
Forza 2, 8 360s, 8 screens.

camineet

Banned
Wait I am confused! Is it 4 times the resolution, 4 times the framerate, or BOTH ????

If they're doing 4x the resolution of 1080p, that would require four PS3s.

If they're also doing 4x the framerate, 240fps, wouldn't that require an additional four PS3s for a total of 8 ?

Goldrusher

camineet said:
Wait I am confused! Is it 4 times the resolution, 4 times the framerate, or BOTH ????

1080p @ 240 fps on an FED tv

or

2160p @ 60 fps with an SXRD projector

There were two demonstrations.

Durante

camineet said:

If they're doing 4x the resolution of 1080p, that would require four PS3s.

If they're also doing 4x the framerate, 240fps, wouldn't that require an additional four PS3s for a total of 8 ?
in one demo they're doing 4 times the resolution, in one demo 4 times the framerate.

Both would require 16 PS3s.

Nafai1123

Banned
THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!

highlander.jpg

androvsky

I have access to a 4096 x 2160 projector, wondering what the chances are that mode will be a hidden option in the retail release... okay, I know it's not going to happen.

Would be nice though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
thank god they got this tricky do-or-die demo nailed down, now they can FINALLY get back to finishing GT5.... :/

tak

Wouldn't 3840 x 2160 be the same display resolution as a Forza 2 triple screen setup running at 1280x720 on each screen?

As a huge GT fan that was disppointed with Prologue, if GT5 does not have damage, I ain't buying.

Stop fucking around with these auto shows and tech shit, finish the fucking game already.

Farnack

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
As a huge GT fan that was disppointed with Prologue, if GT5 does not have damage, I ain't buying.

Stop fucking around with these auto shows and tech shit, finish the fucking game already.
Because of you, the game is delayed for 10 years.

Rapping Granny said:

Yes, cause GT has always been about damage.

itxaka

Defeatist
but..If the 1/4th of the image is rendered at 60 fps, when mixing them they don't multiply to make 240 fps.

it still runs at 60 fps. Or there is something I'm missing? I have been doing maths in my head for the last 15 minutes trying to figure why they mention 240 fps when mixing the 4 images.

itxaka said:
but..If the 1/4th of the image is rendered at 60 fps, when mixing them they don't multiply to make 240 fps.

it still runs at 60 fps. Or there is something I'm missing? I have been doing maths in my head for the last 15 minutes trying to figure why they mention 240 fps when mixing the 4 images.
4 systems rendering the game for one 1080p display running at 240fps or 4 systems rendering the game at 3840x2160 @ 60fps

marwan

Banned
Imagine giant crabs in 3840x2160!!!! :lol

anyways, this is super impressive, i was about to say UHDTV is here, so i found out that Ultra High Definition is 7680 x 4320 ...shit that makes this GT demo seem like standard definaiton!

and btw, someone explain this to me, i know some cellphones/cameras that record in 120fps, but that's considered slow-motion. Did Sony have to speed up the 120 FPS to make it scroll at a normal smooth rate instead of slo-mo?

This is one thing i must give ALOT of credit to sony for.. ever since their first console (playstation1)...they have always been so fixated on achieving photo realistic graphics for its videogames.. more so ..then other company's. Im well aware that using the RSX was sorta a last minute switch for Sony's PS3 but regardless..these guys have this "nack" for wanting photo realistic visuals.. and thats why i'll always be a fan of sony consoles...the only thing is that this gen i was greatly let down with the PS3...not saying i hate the PS3..i dig it but im so use to past sony consoles of pushing out amazing games that this year..its so far off from what they were known for the last two consoles from sony...

But its stuff like this is what i like to see them do..i know part of it is probably Polyphony idea but Polyphony *in my eye's* ..IS Sony to an extent. Remember the GT game back on the playstation1 console..that high resolution mode you could drive around in that night time track? I was just FLOORED by that graphics in that mode ..lol, sorta makes me giggle now days thinking about it...

Anyways..this is fucking nice to see them mess around and demonstrate this... brings me back the good memories of Sony of old..

Makes me also wonder if the next gen systems will be able to achieve this kind of stuff...seeing how they are using 4 PS3's...thats usually the leap in power each gen takes...or around that area. I know the tv's wont..but on paper i wonder if it'll be doable

Metalmurphy said:
Yes, cause GT has always been about damage.

Yes, a realistic racing sim shouldn't have a major feature, makes alot of sense.

You sound like the people who say that "the Silent Hill series has never been about gameplay".

C'mon now, listen to yourself.

marwan said:
and btw, someone explain this to me, i know some cellphones/cameras that record in 120fps, but that's considered slow-motion. Did Sony have to speed up the 120 FPS to make it scroll at a normal smooth rate instead of slo-mo?
They record at 120fps, but they'll then play that back at 24fps (1/5 speed), or 30 fps (1/4 speed), or 60fps (1/2 speed) to get slow motion. If you played it back at 120fps (and had a monitor capable of displaying 120fps, or 120hz content) then it would run at normal speed and look very fluid.

manueldelalas said:
So we will have to buy 4 fucking copies of the game? 4???? fuck them =P

GT5: Prologue
GT5: No Damage
GT5: With damage
GT5: Hella uber HD ultra mode (omg I shat myself)

HOWABOUT...just one. Please? I really want to just play the real game, fully. Once.

Haunted

I'm with the people who want damage.

Damage and cockpit views should be fucking standard in every racing sim.

Sadaiyappan said:
So is this what GT6 on PS4 will be like?
GT5 again, just displayed at a bigger resolution? I fucking hope not. :lol

Banned
Please add in the option to have two PS3s rendering the game at 30fps to have a smooth 60fps in GT5. One console clearly can't handle it.

The ability to use four systems for a smooth 60fps at true 1920x1080 would be nice too…

More games should do this actually, it would be nice to have current games actually running at 1080p60 like they should have been in the first place. Just include the option to install a link-up mode or something onto the three systems so I only need to buy one copy.

The 240fps demonstration is actually pretty old, isn't it? I remember reading about it a few months back.

jmonteiro

Durante said:
No it's 1280x1080 with 2xAA. And that's Prologue, not necessarily GT5.

Yeah, you're correct. My bad, I should have done some research before posting, freaking long day :(

Anyway, it looks like the resolution dropped from 1440x1080 (on GTHD) to 1280x1080 for GT5P but I actually think GT5P looks better than GTHD.

65536 said:
Please add in the option to have two PS3s rendering the game at 30fps to have a smooth 60fps in GT5. One console clearly can't handle it.

The ability to use four systems for a smooth 60fps at true 1920x1080 would be nice too…

More games should do this actually, it would be nice to have current games actually running at 1080p60 like they should have been in the first place. Just include the option to install a link-up mode or something onto the three systems so I only need to buy one copy.
You're basing that off a early version of the game so don't jump to silly conclusions.

Wipeout HD does it at 1080p, with AA... and last time I checked I only had 1 PS3.

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
You're basing that off a early version of the game so don't jump to silly conclusions.

Wipeout HD does it at 1080p, with AA... and last time I checked I only had 1 PS3.
WipEout doesn't render at 1080p all the time, and once you get to the higher speeds, it can tear/stutter pretty badly. Definitely needs at least two PS3s.

65536 said:
WipEout doesn't render at 1080p all the time, and once you get to the higher speeds, it can tear/stutter pretty badly. Definitely needs at least two PS3s.
Huh? It's switching resolutions on the fly?

Nathan Rain said:
Yes, a realistic racing sim shouldn't have a major feature, makes alot of sense.

You sound like the people who say that "the Silent Hill series has never been about gameplay".

C'mon now, listen to yourself.
I'm one of those people that say Silent Hill isn't about gun play.

I'm all for performance damage btw, but I really don't give a shit about visual damage. And it's funny how everyone associates damage to realism and cause of that GT5 sucks, yet NO GAME does damage realistically.

"OMG # game is so much better/realistic cause it has damage", yet you can crash a car at 100mph and still finish the race.

I rather prefer they'd just focused on more important stuff, like the crappy online.

This is incredible, but it seems doubtful that many people would even bother to take advantage of this feature due to the lack of PS3s and that awesome monitor.

Top Bottom