• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 in 3840 x 2160 resolution.

Chrange

Banned
M3d10n said:
Aren't they're too far away to notice the difference?

No, they're using a new technique where four observers funnel their observations into a single person thereby enhancing it beyond what one observer could manage on their own.

Chrange

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
And it's funny how everyone associates damage to realism and cause of that GT5 sucks, yet NO GAME does damage realistically.

"OMG # game is so much better/realistic cause it has damage", yet you can crash a car at 100mph and still finish the race.

An attempt at damage - however successful - is still better than bumper cars and pinball cornering.

I know, I know - you'll throw out the equally tired "they're not doing it until they can do it right" line next, correct?

DCharlie said:
thank god they got this tricky do-or-die demo nailed down, now they can FINALLY get back to finishing GT5.... :/
It's worth noting that everyone who says anything like this, just cements the knowledge that they know nothing about the development process.

or humour

Chrange said:
An attempt at damage - however successful - is still better than bumper cars and pinball cornering.

I know, I know - you'll throw out the equally tired "they're not doing it until they can do it right" line next, correct?
Metalmurphy said:
I'm all for performance damage btw

And tbh, before that I'd want private lobbies so I could race with people (not idiots) where that wouldn't be a problem.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It's worth noting that everyone who says anything like this, just cements the knowledge that they know nothing about the development process.

or of course just wants Gt5 and is sick of waiting? ;)

(yeah, i know it wouldn't take too much effort to make this demo, but... peeps be waitin...)

Plus i still hold a slim hope of GT PSP :(

marwan

Banned
wouldn't be awesome if the back of PS3 game boxes they would have a label for how many PS3s are required to play that game! lol ...then you would have to link them like the old days :)

remember how the prototype PS3 has 2 HDMI ports and 2 ethernet? ....maybe that's what they had in mind and decided against it? :p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Only 120,000 euros for the projector. (20,000 euro lense sold separately) Where do I sign up?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
PD to be the first to release a distributed computing video game on consoles!! GT5@home

Make it happen Sony. We could potentially have a game that scales depending on how many people are online.

jkeeling

SIGH -- can Polyphony quit fecking about with tech demos / motion simulators / prologues / whatever and release some actual complete, retail games already?

How long has it been since the last GT? Years surely. GAMES PLS THX.

marwan

Banned
edible_candle said:
They record at 120fps, but they'll then play that back at 24fps (1/5 speed), or 30 fps (1/4 speed), or 60fps (1/2 speed) to get slow motion. If you played it back at 120fps (and had a monitor capable of displaying 120fps, or 120hz content) then it would run at normal speed and look very fluid.

coll, thanks for the info.

maybe the projector they had 240Hz refresh? :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Plus i still hold a slim hope of GT PSP :(
I'll bet you a beer in your favourite pub that GT PSP will end up being something like a PSP customization/lobby/otherstuff front end app for GT5 + remoteplay support.

Actually racing sims are latency tolerant anyway, so they should support remote play regardless.

XonoX

I don't get the 240 fps thing.

Each ps3 is rendering a quarter of the screen - each doing 60 fps.

So the full screen still only refreshes 60 times per second amirite ?

Their calculation is 240 quarter screens per second which is a bit dodge.......

Dyne

XonoX said:

Reading this thread yields helpful results as it was said that there was two demonstrations. One for the giant resolution, and one for the really high FPS. Not both at the same time.

Banned
XonoX said:

There were two demonstrations.

The first demonstration has each PS3 rendering a quarter of a 3840x2160 image at 60fps.
The second demonstration has each PS3 rendering 1080p at 60fps, staggerred to create a 240fps image.

Farnack said:
winh9y.jpg

Lock if old?
god I hate the way Sony thinks

that would NOT be 240 FPS

thats 4 combined screens to make 60 FPS

if you put two TV's next to each other each running at 60FPS that DOES NOT equal 120FPS...

Banned
PseudoKirby said:
if you put two TV's next to each other each running at 60FPS that DOES NOT equal 120FPS...
It is 240fps.

60fps = 1 new image every 16ms (or thereabouts)

If you have four PS3s rendering a 60fps image, each offset from the last by around 4ms, you have a 240fps image when this is merged together.

spwolf

PseudoKirby said:

god i hate when someone doesnt ready op... 2 separate demostrations, one for high resolution powered by 4 PS3's, and one for 240 fps powered by 4 PS3's

The Ultra-Real, 240fps DemonstrationThe other display was a playable demonstration on a Nano-Spindt FED / Field Emissions Display developed by Sony, with a frame rate of 240fps (240 frames per second).

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has already achieved a frame rate of 60p (progressive), but in this demo, Gran Turismo was made playable at four times this frame rate at 240fps.

The SXRD demonstration described above used four PS3’s to improve image quality, but this used the same to increase the frame rate.

The display used in this demonstration was the 19 inch nano-Spindt FED screen produced by FE Technologies, who is a company that has taken over the development of the FED technology that was being developed at Sony.

skulpt

65536 said:
It is 240fps.

60fps = 1 new image every 16ms (or thereabouts)

If you have four PS3s rendering a 60fps image, each offset from the last by around 4ms, you have a 240fps image when this is merged together.

Yeah, it's actually pretty clever. Just have an overlap of sorts. I wonder how well the eye can even discern 240fps though. I wonder where the line is where the eye can't even really tell something is smoother or not. I'm sure it can go well beyond 60fps, but 240fps? Anyone know?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
skulpt said:
Yeah, it's actually pretty clever. Just have an overlap of sorts. I wonder how well the eye can even discern 240fps though. I wonder where the line is where the eye can't even really tell something is smoother or not. I'm sure it can go well beyond 60fps, but 240fps? Anyone know?
the eye is capable of picking up pretty high frequencies, the 24fps came as an arbitrary standard established in the movies back in the day (most likely a product of frame size, roll thickness and rotary mechanism), and 30hz for tv came as the closest-to-24 quotient of 60hz field refresh, which in its turn came from the north american domestic power grid frequency (50hz in europe). basically, the link between human-eye's perceptive power and traditional video frequencies is none.

here i could cue in the story about the link between the diameter of the shuttle's rocket boosters and the thickness of a horse's back, but i'll spare you this. basically, many technical standards one'd expect to be a function of some 'fitness research' are nothing more than legacy which almost everybody have forgotten the origin of.

Haunted

blu said:
the eye is capable of picking up pretty high frequencies, the 24fps came as an arbitrary standard established in the movies back in the day (most likely a product of frame size, roll thickness and rotary mechanism), and 30hz for tv came as the closest-to-24 quotient of 60hz field refresh, which in its turn came from the north american domestic power grid frequency (50hz in europe). basically, the link between human-eye's perceptive power and traditional video frequencies is none.

here i could cue in the story about the link between the diameter of the shuttle's rocket boosters and the thickness of a horse's back, but i'll spare you this. basically, many technical standards one'd expect to be a function of some 'fitness research' are nothing more than legacy which almost everybody have forgotten the origin of.
Fascinating stuff (honest, I didn't know half of that), but you forgot to tell us which fps would actually be close to a natural viewing experience. >_<

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Haunted said:
Fascinating stuff (honest, I didn't know half of that), but you forgot to tell us which fps would actually be close to a natural viewing experience. >_<
true. according to this doc, humans can visibly discern frequencies of 45hz on a high-luminosity background (ideally that's what you'd need your movie fps to be based off, say 90 fps discrete), but otherwise can pick frequencies of 100hz, in some cases 120hz, and even higher.

DCharlie

And it's funny how everyone associates damage to realism and cause of that GT5 sucks, yet NO GAME does damage realistically.

"OMG # game is so much better/realistic cause it has damage", yet you can crash a car at 100mph and still finish the race.

that's such a negative way of looking at it, where is you sony fans ambition?

GT5 - demand that it redefines and destroys everything out there!

With the power of cell, we want realistic crashes, the ability to fall off rally tacks , etc etc.

GT isn't about not having crashes, it's about being the best driving simulator they can put out and if they stuck to what a lot of you are saying, we'll never get the extra realism of damage.

Pointing at the other games that don't do it right? What the hell?!
Aim for the stars, not the gutter.

wait - i realise you are saying that people say GT sucks. So ignore most of that. I still think Poly SHOULD take on the challenge of doing it right.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Damage shouldn't be implemented until flecks of randomly generated paint chips can be rendered at 240fps. You should place your standards a little higher DC :wag

Damodar

HEY GUYZ, POLYPHONY SHOULD STOP THIS NONSENSE AND JUST RELEASE THE GAME ALREADY! AMIRITE?!?!

AND THEY EXPECT ME TO BUY 4 COPIES AND A NEW PROJECTOR JUST TO PLAY IT!?!!?

Anybody else find reading through this thread a real fucking struggle?

DCharlie

i'm finding waiting for GT5 a real struggle, seeing shit like "This is what GT6 will be like" is making be sad.

GT5 FIRST PLEASE. OMG ONE THING AT A TIME PLEASE!

Damodar said:
HEY GUYZ, POLYPHONY SHOULD STOP THIS NONSENSE AND JUST RELEASE THE GAME ALREADY! AMIRITE?!?!

It's probably one of the best anti-Sony troll bait threads in a long time (other than NPDs amirite)

Haunted

blu said:
true. according to this doc, humans can visibly discern frequencies of 45hz on a high-luminosity background (ideally that's what you'd need your movie fps to be based off, say 90 fps discrete), but otherwise can pick frequencies of 100hz, in some cases 120hz, and even higher.
Thanks. :)

fanboi

Banned
Damodar said:

Hey!
Just get... *math hat on* ehem... 5 new jobs!

DarkJC

PseudoKirby said:

God I hate the way you don't read.

Seems kind of useless to do this on 60fps 1080p game. Sony should get this tech on all those 720p 30fps games. With 2 PS3s that would be either 720p 60fps or 1080p 30fps, with 4 PS3s one would get full 1080p 60fps. Games like Killzone 2 running at 1080p 60fps would make quite a few people buy multiple PS3s, especially once Sony gets PS3slim out at affordable cost.

AMUSIX

Neat application of a basic function.

And before people start creaming too much over this, do check Forza 2's set up of 5 xbox360s all synced up and displaying 5 different angles of the same race. Or check out a Ferrarri 355F1 cabinet...or check out any multi-display arcade game.

All that's happening here is four different angles being shown and then composited.

Again, a very neat demo, but nothing that shows the power of the system or of the game engine. It does, however, show the power of the projector.

DCharlie said:
i'm finding waiting for GT5 a real struggle, seeing shit like "This is what GT6 will be like" is making be sad.

GT5 FIRST PLEASE. OMG ONE THING AT A TIME PLEASE!

you forgot GT4mobile for PSP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
blu said:
45hz is just a chrominance (color) change discernment ability. It's much higher than that for detecting changes in brightness (resulting in ability to detect things moving). There's been some military tests that show that people can see the shape of a B/W image that's been strobed in front of them for just 1/200 of second.

Lord Error said:
45hz is just a chrominance (color) change discernment ability. It's much higher than that for detecting changes in brightness (resulting in ability to detect things moving). There's been some military tests that show that people can see the shape of a B/W image that's been strobed in front of them for just 1/200 of second.

yep, human eyes use two different methods to acquire images, one for colors and one for shapes of objects (i can't find the exact english term for this, hope you got it).

Top Bottom