• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

If your schedule is really by the minute, then I think it is possible to adjust the timing.

Well, I'm going out to dinner at 9 (8gmt), and since its a 2 hour race I'll probably have to shower after as well lol.

But no, don't change anything just because of me. Unless no one minds starting 15-30 mins early.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is this the definitive topic for the game? My friend let me borrow it...LOVE the game! After playing Real Racing 2 for many many hours, I'm glad I decided to try a real racing sim!

The only problem? I'm not good. I'm using AT with default controls and have no idea how to really "improve" or learn. I'm sure doing the license tests will help, but we will see!

Any beginners advice? It would be neat to be able to join y'all someday!

paskowitz

Is this the definitive topic for the game? My friend let me borrow it...LOVE the game! After playing Real Racing 2 for many many hours, I'm glad I decided to try a real racing sim!

This is not the definitive thread. Just the online racing thread.

The only problem? I'm not good. I'm using AT with default controls and have no idea how to really "improve" or learn. I'm sure doing the license tests will help, but we will see!

This is more general racing advice.

- Slow in, fast out. This means it is better to enter a corner slowly and exit quickly than to enter quickly and exit slowly. The mentality behind this is that most of your time will be gained by your strait line momentum. IE your speed on the straights. If you think of a race track, its usually straighter for a longer distance than it is curvy. You want to maximize your speed out of the corner so your speed on the straight away is as high as possible. You will gain more time this way than if you dive bomb every corner.

- Never be at 0%. Your are either 1-100% on the brake or 1-100% on the throttle. It may feel natural to lift completely on a corner but this is just lost momentum. Chances are your car can handle that 5-10% throttle. If you really need to slow down, don't lift just tap the brake and get back on the gas.

- Never be at more than 100%. You only have 100% grip, not 300% grip. When you brake that uses up your tires grip. When you accelerate, that uses up grip. When you turn that uses up grip. It is not possible to expect a car to brake at 100% and turn at 100%. Same with accelerating. For every amount you accelerate or brake, you can turn less, and vis versa. Braking is even more so...

- Try to brake in as straight a line as possible. This should make sense given the above. Doing this will allow you to brake harder and later.

- Except if you need to trail brake. Google trail braking. It will explain the concept better than I can.

- DO NOT START OFF USING ALL THE AIDS. TCS and ABS are the ONLY aids you should EVER use. Learning how to drive with the other stuff would be like learning to draw with numb hands. NO! It is essential you understand how the car behaves at an early stage.

- Knowledge is half the battle. Learn the track. Learn the car. It is that simple. Every car and every track is different. For a starter car and track I would recommend the Mazda Miata with comfort tires and driving on Tsukuba. Do not take a Corvette to the Nurburgring for your first attempt unless you enjoy exercises in frustration.

- Get a force feedback wheel. Logitech Driving Force GT is a great budget option (~$100). Logitech G27 is your next best option if you have a little more money (~$300). For there I recommend looking at Thrustmaster's T500RS and Fanatecs CSR Elite (~$500-600).

- Once you get to the point where you can get the GTR Nurburgring Trophy you are in good shape.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
- DO NOT START OFF USING ALL THE AIDS. TCS and ABS are the ONLY aids you should EVER use. Learning how to drive with the other stuff would be like learning to draw with numb hands. NO! It is essential you understand how the car behaves at an early stage.

For the sake of simplicity, what other assists should I turn off? I know zero about sim racing and all the shit it entails. ABS I know, but the rest of the options, I'm not sure if it's an assist or not. And all the various slider for steering or brakeing sensitivity...Again, I know it sounds super noob, but that's where I stand haha.

Thank you for those tips though! Definitely good starting points!

paskowitz

For the sake of simplicity, what other assists should I turn off? I know zero about sim racing and all the shit it entails. ABS I know, but the rest of the options, I'm not sure if it's an assist or not. And all the various slider for steering or brakeing sensitivity...Again, I know it sounds super noob, but that's where I stand haha.

No Stability control, no ASM, no skid force reduction, only ABS and TCS. Controller sensitivity is not an aid, it is more of a driving option. 7 makes the controller very responsive, -2 makes it very insensitive. Usually people fall between 4 and 7. I like 7. Braking sensitivity is also not an aid. It is in fact brake bias. Just leave this stock in the beginning.

Oh yeah... GT5 has a great in game manual. Read it. All of it. You will learn more about the game that way. I forget exactly the way to get to it, but its not terribly hard to find.

Skid recovery force is an unreal aid that basically changes the game to easier physics.

Active Stability Management will prevent spins by countersteering for you and cutting power to wheels if necessary

Traction Control - Limits and redirects the power to wheels to have as much traction as possible

Active Steering - Corrects oversteering.

And to answer your question, turn every thing off except the guide line, eventually turn that off too as it isn't the perfect line to follow

paskowitz

Skid recovery force is an unreal aid that basically changes the game to easier physics.

Active Stability Management will prevent spins by countersteering for you and cutting power to wheels if necessary

Traction Control - Limits and redirects the power to wheels to have as much traction as possible

And to answer your question, turn every thing off except the guide line, eventually turn that off too as it isn't the perfect line to follow

I actually forgot about the driving line and would recommend turning that off as well. The line is accurate, but the braking points (when it turns red) are almost never correct. In the end it is better to find your own way.

This is actually a race league we have for the game, the general GT5 thread can be found HERE.

But that's ok. One piece of advice I have (in addition to what Pask said) if you're new is use manual transmission. It will help you an enormous amount to judge corners and stay consistent when you're thinking about what gear you're in and what speed you should be going.

I have my controller set up with gas on R2, brake on L2 and shift up/down on the right stick up/down. It might take you a little while to adjust, but I find that it's very comfortable to use this way.

Traction control is perfectly fine when you keep it below about 5. And of course ABS should be at 1. But the others are terrible.

paskowitz

This is actually a race league we have for the game, the general GT5 thread can be found HERE.

But that's ok. One piece of advice I have (in addition to what Pask said) if you're new is use manual transmission. It will help you an enormous amount to judge corners and stay consistent when you're thinking about what gear you're in and what speed you should be going.

I have my controller set up with gas on R2, brake on L2 and shift up/down on the right stick up/down. It might take you a little while to adjust, but I find that it's very comfortable to use this way.

I agree. I use the same set up except with X as upshift and square as downshift. I use the right stick for looking left and right. Down on the right stick is e-brake for me. Your millage may vary.

For the new page:

2hrs of Nurburgring Endurance Race

YXEcf.png

S7bUml.jpg
ibi82zMANES7j7.gif

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT:It is not called "The Green Hell" for nothing. Practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
Start time is currently being decided. It will be one of these two times:
t1338663000z0.png
t1338660000z0.png
*​
*Time is subject to change based on interest and availability

Allowed cars:

Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports '11​

Tuning allowed:
Non PP tuning is allowed but cars will be HP (500hp) and Weight (1505kg) Limited. I will also do a PP check at 578pp. Please make sure your car is at these numbers.
Tyre Selection
Sports Medium or Sports Softs. Racing Inters/Wets are allowed if you feel you cannot control the car in wet weather with Sports tires. Otherwise you can just use Sports tires. Racing hards through softs are not allowed.​
Track:
Nurburgring 24 Hour Circuit Time and Weather Change​
Laps:
~12
Weather:
Variable: Level 1
Time Change:
Scale set to ~12
Pit Stops:
Yes
Damage
Light​
Assists
TCS, ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (15 / 16) 12 Person minimum at race start!
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 - Toxa
  • 03 - asclepio_gtr
  • 04 - 2scoops
  • 05 - BradleyLove
  • 06 - FootballFan
  • 07 - MikeDub
  • 08 - SunhiLegend
  • 09 - magawolaz
  • 10 - RounD
  • 11 - Niks
  • 12 - ruttyboy
  • 13 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 14 - KaizorPenguin
  • 15 - Gynoug79
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 - Kaze13
  • R3 - Metalmurphy
  • R4 - ashk
  • R5 - polyphony
  • R6 - chillumchilla
  • R7 - Goldrusher
  • R8 -
  • R9 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 4.30 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 5.45 PM GMT
Qualifications start - In the interest of time there will be no quali session.
Race start 6.50 PM GMT
Race end: ~8.00 PM GMT (please note this is our normal end time)

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Qualifying will consist of 1 outlap (which will not be registered by the game) and only 1 qualifying lap. With this in mind, practice is very important for this race.

Please take note of the special tire rules. In addition please do not install the racing exhaust on your car or perform any engine modifications. Only Non PP tuning is allowed. The weather will be variable and the time of day will take us from day, to night, and back to day. The Nurburgring is very challenging in these conditions so please practice ahead of time so you know the course. If we do not get 12 or more people to sign up the race will be postponed until a later date.

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Niks

Since its a long race and some people are pressed for time, please check your connections beforehand.

It may sound harsh but waiting 20 minutes for someone to connect will not be possible for this race.

Also who is going to host?

What's the thoughts on skipping qualifying entirely and just going with random grid order? It's such a long race/track that I can't imagine it's going to make that huge of a difference and if 20mins is the difference between people taking part/dropping out then id rather skip it.

What's the thoughts on skipping qualifying entirely and just going with random grid order? It's such a long race/track that I can't imagine it's going to make that huge of a difference and if 20mins is the difference between people taking part/dropping out then id rather skip it.

You got my vote

paskowitz

I am ok with this. To be quite honest, its probably better we use the time for quali to wait for people. I guess I will send out another round of PMs Friday informing everyone of the time change.

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 4.30 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 5.45 PM GMT
Qualifications start - In the interest of time there will be no quali session.
Race start 6.50 PM GMT
Race end: ~8.00 PM GMT (please note this is our normal end time)

I highly advise every try your best to join the room no latter than 5pm GMT.

paskowitz

paskowitz, you probably didn't see my post here, but I see that the list is almost full. If there's still room for a
bad
player, I'm in :p

Sorry about that your are now added. Room is almost full. I think at a minimum we will get 12 people (assuming late joins and last minute cancellations).

Angst

It's good to see you guys getting a full line-up this long after the game's release!

*curses for not being able to join*

More like CSW vs G27, as my hardware hasn't shipped yet. :(

Edit: Bummer, I just noticed the adjusted start time. I don't think I will be able to join you guys due to prior commitments.

It's only 15 minutes earlier...

We can move it back to the original time just for you.

mclaren777

Earlier, later. It's all relative. I was hoping this would be a morning race (for me) so I could get on with the rest of my day. As it is, this event will start around noon and last until 2pm.

mclaren777

But that was already the case before.

When I first expressed interest in this thread, I hadn't yet made plans to celebrate my mom's birthday. We are planning to see a movie at 2:45 on the other side of town, which makes my schedule a little tight, especially with if the start time is 50 minutes later than I thought.

When I first expressed interest in this thread, I hadn't yet made plans to celebrate my mom's birthday. We are planning to see a movie at 2:45 on the other side of town, which makes my schedule a little tight, especially with if the start time is 50 minutes later than I thought.

It's not, it's 10 minutes earlier.

Polyphony

Is this the most popular NRL event yet?

I will be joining at the last minute if spots are available. Gonna try getting some practice in tomorrow morning. This race is going to be something!

FootballFan

My Schulze only has around 475 HP anything i can do to tune the car so i can get to around 500 HP without increasing PP besides increasing Aerodynamics settings and a run in of the engine?

The dealer-fresg Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports '11 has 487BHP. If you change the oil, we get 511BHP.

How can you hit the 500BHP mark with no PP tuning? I'm not overly keen on changing oil, then using the engine limiter.

The dealer-fresg Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports '11 has 487BHP. If you change the oil, we get 511BHP.

How can you hit the 500BHP mark with no PP tuning? I'm not overly keen on changing oil, then using the engine limiter.

I think no PP tuning means you can't buy parts that would affect the PP, or change the aero, which would also change the PP, but you can limit the car to 500BHP.

Dibbz

Guys, I might have to drop out. My brother booked Prometheus tickets for tonight at 8pm tonight and with the race now starting at 7pm I would be wasting a slot. Anyone on reserve wants the slot they can have it.

I think no PP tuning means you can't buy parts that would affect the PP, or change the aero, which would also change the PP, but you can limit the car to 500BHP.
It's just seems weird that a limit of 500 bhp is in place for a car that is lower than that stock, but exceeds it when had an oil change. Basically it means everyone's car will be either unpowered or using the engine limiter.

If the limit is increased to say 520 bhp with no PP tuning, that means no one has to use the limiter and can make use of an oil change.

It's just seems weird that a limit of 500 bhp is in place for a car that is lower than that stock, but exceeds it when had an oil change. Basically it means everyone's car will be either unpowered or using the engine limiter.

If the limit is increased to say 520 bhp with no PP tuning, that means no one has to use the limiter and can make use of an oil change.

You're forgetting engine brake-in. We're also not very big fans of the oil change trick.

paskowitz

Sorry for being MIA for a while yesterday. I also appologize for the time confusion. My question is this. Would it help to either start the race at the original earlier time (6pm GMT) or at the normal time (7pm GMT)?

Would 6:30pm work for both of you?

Not if I'd want to finish the race.

Toxa said he was in when it was supposed to be at 6:00, now I'm not sure if he's not ok with the 6:50 or the 5:50 after that confusion. (I'm still not sure if you wanted to put it 10 minutes earlier or 50 minutes later, since you added a new 6:00 time to the post and still have the 6:50 there I'm guessing it was the latter, which I really don't understand. Were people asking to delay the race 50mins?)

Top Bottom