• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we know this already?

gt5-headlights-blink-o.gif

Blinking headlights?
If so nvm if not kewl :lol

sdornan

darkwing said:
yup you can get the feeling it was rushed, they should have made all cars premium, we can wait for that can we?
Then we wouldn't have gotten the game for another 2 or 3 years.

LCfiner

chico said:
linearity setting? hmm... seems i need to upgrade to the latest firmware. what exactly does the linearity setting do? is it like drift mode?

You definitely want to update the firmware. the deadzone setting is a godsend for GT5:p (gets rid of excessive wheel shaking on straights)

linearity changes the angle your virtual wheel turns at small angles.

so you can set the wheel to around 270 or less and then crank up linearity so that if you turn the real wheel around 30 or 40 degrees, the on screen wheel might be closer to 15, giving you much more control over small corrections.

but if you yank the wheel 90 degrees to the right, you'll still get the full effect of the turn in game instead of having to go hand over hand with a huge turn as if you had a 360 degree or higher sensitivity.

darkwing

belvedere said:
The standard/premium issue isn't new. Obviously it's impact won't be completely realized until we get the game to play for ourselves, but this isn't something that just hit us. We've known about it for months. I'm not saying that makes it any less awkward, but for those of us looking for that "GT" experience, I think we'll still be more than satisfied.

indeed, people expect like a 100% increase graphically from GT5P, we know it was not going to happen

darkwing said:
yup you can get the feeling it was rushed, they should have made all cars premium, we can wait for that can we?

No we can't how many years do think that would have taken .
It's going to be like GT3 small number of cars but this you get drive all the old ones with the new physics engine.
GT 6 will have more new cars along with the DLC we are going to get with 5.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
65c238.jpg

20v0xfl.jpg

ummm, I find shots likes these unsettling, the quality of these models will stick out like a sore thumb with premiums on the same track, I almost would rather they not be in the game.

Lothars

lowrider007 said:
ummm, I find shots likes these unsettling, the quality of these models will stick out like a sore thumb with premiums on the same track, I almost would rather they not be in the game.

I must be totally blind because I think those shots look really good, I don't see an issue.

lowrider007 said:
pics

Standard cars not going to look good in photo mode saw that coming , they still should be fun to drive about .

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Still buying the game day one, nothing will change that, it just still grinds my gears a little, it's like having an amazing diamond with a small blemish in it.

darkwing said:
as long as the standard cars have the same car physics and mechanical damage as the premium ones, i'm not complaining

This is true, still bummed out a little though, would be nice to know if they are going to offer Prem car packs, I hope they will.

spats

gundamkyoukai said:
Standard cars not going to look good in photo mode saw that coming , they still should be fun to drive about .

Yup. When you're scrutinizing the standard models in photo mode, no, they're not going to look good. When you're racing against them at 100mp/h and the game running at 60fps, you'll barely notice.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Still buying the game day one, nothing will change that, it just still grinds my gears a little, it's like having an amazing diamond with a small blemish in it.

Believe me if you've seen diamonds in the rough, you really wouldn't give a shit.

chico

LCfiner said:
You definitely want to update the firmware. the deadzone setting is a godsend for GT5:p (gets rid of excessive wheel shaking on straights)

linearity changes the angle your virtual wheel turns at small angles.

so you can set the wheel to around 270 or less and then crank up linearity so that if you turn the real wheel around 30 or 40 degrees, the on screen wheel might be closer to 15, giving you much more control over small corrections.

but if you yank the wheel 90 degrees to the right, you'll still get the full effect of the turn in game instead of having to go hand over hand with a huge turn as if you had a 360 degree or higher sensitivity.

sounds great! thanks for the explanation.

SmokyDave

Hanmik said:
from a guy on GTplanet. Who is playing the game:

and more:

how come all GT5 early adpoters are judging the game so fast.. makes me sad..
Some people just set themselves up for disappointment. Make no mistake, there will be massive backlash after this games release, regardless of quality.

LCfiner

Lothars said:
I must be totally blind because I think those shots look really good, I don't see an issue.

the geometry of the car is noticeably lacking compared to the premiums. you can see some rough edges in the air intake below the headlights and the grill.

you don't see polygon edges like that on the premium cars.

it's not like the standard cars are filthy abominations but they're fairly easy to point out next to the premium cars.

Az

I guess I am just easy to please. To me those standard models look okay and I see them as a bonus to the premium cars. Shit I would have been more than happy with GT5P graphics minus the tearing with the new physics and content.

I have faith in Amar to shed some light on this leaked copy issue. Oh and btw where is SSX?

Fixed1979 said:
There's going to be be who are disapointed just from expecting too much. Not saying that's the case here, but I'm prepared for the backlash already. Honestly I've been waiting for this for so long as long as it's anywhere close to what it should be I'll take it.

This game will be hard to judge. When you wait for it for almost 6 years and follow the process very closely, it´s bound to happen some unrealistic expectations.

This game will not get the credit it deserves, despite being a very, very good game.

People waited a long time and expect all problems to be gone because they waited so long.

I can´t wait to see how reviewers will weight in on this to properly score the game.

Hanmik

SmokyDave said:
Some people just set themselves up for disappointment. Make no mistake, there will be massive backlash after this games release, regardless of quality.

yeah .. would be like meeting you in real life.. we read your Tag, saw your Avatar .. and the we meet some shy guy who likes to drink beer.. :D
never met any gaffers in real life, being situated up in the Faroe Islands makes me feel alone, with a disturbing imagination

And I for one don´t care about low poly on walls, low standard cars models etc. I just care about playing the game, and finally enjoy my GT rush.. in the meantime I will post here with stuff about the game.. bad or good.

-viper-

Banned
SmokyDave said:
What's the story behind your tag?

This is my first GT (only played GT2 for a few hours). I think when I get the game I won't visit this thread for a few days. I hate it when I (hopefully) enjoy a game and everyone is so negative, and that will be the case after release (and is now)

nib95 said:
What's the best wheel and pedals holder to buy for my G25? Something that doesn't cost the Earth preferably, but is still sturdy enough to handle it.

Will be using my leather chair as my seat!

as suggested before, the Wheelstand Pro is the best option since it can be folded and stored more easily. And you can use any chair or couch to play from.

Ashes

Banned
why is the bugatti veyron even that colour? anyways it looks very different to other photos we saw... maybe the colours or something...

Firewire

Banned
Originally Posted by Szmissz at GTP:

You dont have to play it too long to realise, that dividing the cars into nice and ugly versions was not the part of the GT feeling until now... same thing with the screen tearing, and stuff like that.

It's not the perfection what we, GT fans are used to.

That's the part that gets me. GT's have always had some degree of screen tearing, but he says in GT5 is doesn't match with the perfection that GT fans are used to? If he knows so much about past GT's he would know that the tearing has always been there. Also from the video's posted (yes it isn't the ideal way to determine screen tearing) the tearing looks no worse than previous GT's to me at least.

The first part of his quote, just sounds like someone hung up on the standard/premium car models, he even goes as far as calling them ugly? Its sounds like he wants cockpit for all cars and is pissed or that his favorite car isn't a premium.

Also sounds like someone bitter that he got duped into buying a non final version of the game.

darkwing

Firewire said:
Originally Posted by Szmissz at GTP:

That's the part that gets me. GT's have always had some degree of screen tearing, but he says in GT5 is doesn't match with the perfection that GT fans are used to? If he knows so much about past GT's he would know that the tearing has always been there. Also from the video's posted (yes it isn't the ideal way to determine screen tearing) the tearing looks no worse than previous GT's to me at least.

The first part of his quote, just sounds like someone hung up on the standard/premium car models, he even goes as far as calling them ugly? Its sounds like he wants cockpit for all cars and is pissed or that his favorite car isn't a premium.

Also sounds like someone bitter that he got duped into buying a non final version of the game.

he is just mad he is stuck at Amateur mode?

Hanmik

darkwing said:
he is just mad he is stuck at Amateur mode?

ha,... no because as far as we know, he does not have the same issues as Tekken and RDR (stuck at 17%, Black Screens of death etc.)

sdornan

It's going to be really tough for anyone to examine this game objectively when it's been a MacGuffin that's taken 6 years to acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom