• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotcheggz

Holy shit, just won the Zonda R '09... Have to be a bit careful with the accelerator on that thing eh!? Entered into the MR championship and as all over the place :lol

Mobius 1

Y2Kev said:
There's deformation on standard cars. Hmm.

edit: Or is the light playing tricks on me? I could have sworn...I need to save the replay.

There is. I run my pretty Alfa Romo Giulia into a guard rail and it bent the bumper and the side fender.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can I get in on that truck passing around action? This is for beginner series right?

GriffD17

TheSeks said:
Can I get in on that truck passing around action? This is for beginner series right?
As much as I do enjoy this game, issn't this a bit indicative of how much better the "career" aspect of the game could have been implemented? Need to find a truck myself.

TheSeks

GriffD17 said:
As much as I do enjoy this game, issn't this a bit indicative of how much better the "career" aspect of the game could have been implemented? Need to find a truck myself.

More like they should've taken GT PSP's dealership bitching to heart and had a used car lot for the manus. Would've made the career a lot faster to do and find the cars you want. Just have to grind for the prices.

-viper-

Banned
DoctorWho said:
What level is your b-spec driver when you complete the Beginner races? Mine is at level 4 and racing like shit. He's only one three tournaments so far.
I gave my B-Spec driver an extremely overpowered car. But he still drives crap. He beat shitty hatchbacks in the Sunday Cup race by only 8 seconds in a 450HP tuned M3. Oh well - at least he won :p

scotcheggz

Valkyr Junkie said:
B-Spec prize?

Yeh, from the gran turismo world championship. Is it just me or do the B-spec prize cars seem better than the A-spec? All my A-spec wins so far minus one or two have been pretty meh.

Leunam

Who has the GAF-Truck? If no one has dibs I'd like to claim it next so I can get that event out of the way. I should only need it for one night after I get it. PSN ID: leunam23.

TheSeks said:
More like they should've taken GT PSP's dealership bitching to heart and had a used car lot for the manus. Would've made the career a lot faster to do and find the cars you want. Just have to grind for the prices.

The used dealership isn't new to the mainline GT games. GT4 had it where some extremely rare cars would only appear on one specific day and if you didn't catch then you'd have to wait for those cars to come around again.

TheSeks

SolidSnakex said:
The used dealership isn't new to the mainline GT games. GT4 had it where some extremely rare cars would only appear on one specific day and if you didn't catch then you'd have to wait for those cars to come around again.

Oh. I only played GT1 in Arcade mode and GT3 casually. But PSP's dealership system sucked ass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DoctorWho said:
What level is your b-spec driver when you complete the Beginner races? Mine is at level 4 and racing like shit. He's only one three tournaments so far.

mine was the same but he picked up. My first was at about level 6 when he was doing the first half pretty well, and at level 8 he had no trouble at all. My second driver is still a little fidgety but getting there. He's at level 6 now I think, but he was 'cooler' than the other which might affect things.

If you give them an overpowered car, you can cool them down (decrease pace) and they'll still do well from the sheer pace of the car.

Is the lounge stuff all server side? Seems like I could join the lounges of my friends but most of them aren't actually online at the moment - only just realised when I quit GT5. So you can pop into a friends lounge and do some free track time and leave messages etc?

And how do you see their photos/cars? is that in their lounge or just from their entry on the community tab bit? I've shared some of my cars as its probably a good way for people to have a look and see which one they'd like you to share with them.

TheSeks

mrklaw said:
And how do you see their photos/cars? is that in their lounge or just from their entry on the community tab bit? I've shared some of my cars as its probably a good way for people to have a look and see which one they'd like you to share with them.

Highlight the profile and then go to photo/whatever on the left where your photos would've been.

Blame!

okay i asked this in the troll thread and should have asked here....

what do the car maintenance options do? oil changefs, car washes, body rigidity, do they affect how my car drives on track? some of the chassis maintenance costs and insane, like tens of thousands. whas the deal?

It's probably been talked about at some point in this thread. But what graphical settings are people using while playing GT5?

I feel as though with a couple tweaks the game could look really good, but it's just not there for me...

The main areas to adjust would be
- TV picture settings
- GT5 display settings
- PS3 display settings

Tarazet

Blame! said:

what do the car maintenance options do? oil changefs, car washes, body rigidity, do they affect how my car drives on track? some of the chassis maintenance costs and insane, like tens of thousands. whas the deal?

I figured out that both the oil change and engine overhaul improve performance. I saw my Lotus Elise's top speed go from 157, to 159 with an oil change and then 162 with an overhaul. The oil change is certainly worth it, the engine overhaul.. meh. More powerful generally doesn't seem to be important in this game.

Blame!

Tarazet said:
I figured out that both the oil change and engine overhaul improve performance. I saw my Lotus Elise's top speed go from 157, to 159 with an oil change and then 162 with an overhaul. The oil change is certainly worth it, the engine overhaul.. meh. More powerful generally doesn't seem to be important in this game.

what about body rigidity? that shit's expensive! :lol

Blame! said:

Car washes give you a turbo boost!

TTG

Blame! said:

oil change definitely makes a difference, I did an engine overhaul on one car and there wasn't much(if anything) in terms of hp.... but it was on a really shitty car. Haven't tried the chassis overhaul, nothing worth spending the money on. I have a feeling my z06 will eventually get the race prep treatment, that should be interesting.

Loudninja

Blame! said:

Why are people keep asking questions in that topic? :lol

Dead Man

Blame! said:

If it's like GT4 the oil change will increase HP, and the chassis will increase overall grip.

scotcheggz

A5SB5.jpg

87 BHP

OHH YEHHHH

Blame!

Dead Man said:
If it's like GT4 the oil change will increase HP, and the chassis will increase overall grip.

ah good to know my last GT was GT3 a while back.

so do you rack up chassis maintenance fees by banging up your car on the track??

that's a better deterent than any visual damage IMO :lol

EekTheKat

:lol my second B-Spec driver is T.Stark Had to make him a hot driver compared to my first cool one.

He seems better than my first B spec guy already, since I tend to try to go for the early overtake + just cruise along the rest of the way.

Looks like my first driver's going to be in the sidekick role once T. Stark catches up.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Outtrigger888 said:
Just picked this up, is the 10 gig install worth the time?
Heck yeah it is...it cuts load times by 20+sec or more.

But the game actively installs even after you do the initial install...so the first time you load a track it'll take a while. But the track is now installed on your PS3 and will be much faster to load the next time you visit it.

Talking of install... I told the game to do the full whack when I first loaded, but it only seemed to install about 6.5gb, isn't that supposed to be bigger? What am I missing?

mil6es

Just impulse brought the 458 Italia so I thought I'd take it around Le Mans (Time Change) for its maiden drive as I was yet to drive that track, these are my impressions( Law & Order Dun Dun)

1st lap: Ok this is pretty sweet track is bumpy as hell and I'm loving it
2nd lap: Oh vanilla sky approaching, holy shit I'm getting partially blinded by the sun setting
3rd lap: FUUUUUU its pitch black and I'm doing 198mph!!!!!!!!, The fireworks are distracting me:lol

Conclusion: I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

thank you GT5

Tarazet

The GAF Ram Force Assemble! is in leehom's hands. I figured out how to send it without waiting for the friend list to update: go to the community menu, select the user and go to Gifts. You can also send items and museum cards, you know, if that's your thing.

mil6es said:
Just impulse brought the 458 Italia so I thought I'd take it around Le Mans (Time Change) for its maiden drive as I was yet to drive that track, these are my impressions( Law & Order Dun Dun)

1st lap: Ok this is pretty sweet track is bumpy as hell and I'm loving it
2nd lap: Oh vanilla sky approaching, holy shit I'm getting partially blinded by the sun setting
3rd lap: FUUUUUU its pitch black and I'm doing 198mph!!!!!!!!, The fireworks are distracting me:lol

Conclusion: I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

thank you GT5

I think I've played 30 + hours and I didn't even know Le Mans was in the game.

The fuck!

TheSeks

DoctorWho said:
I think I've played 30 + hours and I didn't even know Le Mans was in the game.

The fuck!

If it is, I don't know the track name. Seems locked to me.

I just discovered that getting more dhp is not really useful if you don't get a full custom gearset. If not, you'll only get more acceleration, but not more top speed.

leehom

Tarazet said:
The GAF Ram Force Assemble! is in leehom's hands. I figured out how to send it without waiting for the friend list to update: go to the community menu, select the user and go to Gifts. You can also send items and museum cards, you know, if that's your thing.
Thanks, I'll have it available to the next person in a few hours. Doing the level 22 race right now and it's going to take a hour for each one =/. Sorry i couldnt get online earlier, some reason i couldnt log into psn.

Error1355

Valkyr Junkie said:
There is a 9-hour race, followed by the two 24-hour races. No signs of the ability to save and resume :/

This does not please me.

Have you started the races up? Maybe the ability to save in the races are only for the 9/24 hour ones. o_o

Tarazet

leehom said:
Thanks, I'll have it available to the next person in a few hours. Doing the level 22 race right now and it's going to take a hour for each one =/. Sorry i couldnt get online earlier, some reason i couldnt log into psn.

Whoa, what level 22 race do you need my truck for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom