• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melfice7

GroteSmurf said:
I absolutely hate this challenge. Despite all advice i still can't handle it. It handles like a turd :(

use left foot braking without taking the foot off the gas completely = easy gold

Grayman said:
I will prepare my zombie kit, wait half an hour and try the ps3 again, then smash it with a hammer when i eventually find out sony won't fix it for free.

Let me know how your ps3 fairs. Happened to me once, when I was playing some arcade mode. Dusted/vaccumed the vents, and it's been fine so far. I'm thinking it was just an overheating issue.

MikeE21286 said:
This is definitely the way to go.

My 720p 50" plasma in 720p with "sharpen" on was much better than my 1080p 32" LCD in 1080p with "sharpen" on or off

has to be a placebo effect (or due to the settings of the HDTV), we already know that the game has a higher native resolution in 1080p mode. I read some people like 1080p + Sharpen though.

jambo said:
My birthday was 2 weeks before the game came out so I have to wait 12 months =[

Same here, my birthday would have been after the original GT5 release before it was delayed because of the PS3 hackers. Figured I deserve it so I just made a new account to gift me a birthday car.
Though I wanted a premium car and there are none build in my birth-year, so I choose 1976. There you can either get a Golf I GTI (standard) or a Ferrari 512BB (premium) :D Therefore you have a 50% chance for that Ferrari (with each try).

Grayman

the_log_ride said:
Let me know how your ps3 fairs. Happened to me once, when I was playing some arcade mode. Dusted/vaccumed the vents, and it's been fine so far. I'm thinking it was just an overheating issue.
I had not cleaned the vents in awhile but I have the yellow light so we'll see.

TEH-CJ said:
I think GT5 just fried my ps3's graphics card :(
huh?.. Maybe your PS3 is just dying. Hopefully not because GT5 is in it..

the_log_ride said:
Indeed. There a quite a few of them (vents). Vacuum them all.
I even took my PS3 apart and vacuumed the inside (carefully). The warranty was expired anyway so breaking the seal wasn't a problem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheSeks said:
Yeah, I think I'm done Attempting with this Autobianchi A112 Abarth '79. POS car can't do anything worth a damn after 80K in upgrades.

So, what is the next best 70's or earlier car to take on the Europe Classic B-Spec championship?

I used a lotus elan I think. Needed modding up but was fine after that. The alfa romeo giulietta (sp?) looks good too - check the 'likely opponents' and look at BHP/weight then go to the used car lot

Mobius 1

mrklaw said:
I used a lotus elan I think. Needed modding up but was fine after that. The alfa romeo giulietta (sp?) looks good too - check the 'likely opponents' and look at BHP/weight then go to the used car lot
I used the Giulia. Put some good tires and it's a champ.

roxya

When doing a grid start, is there a way to skip the dynamic camera angles and see my rev counter earlier? They only give you a second to find your RPM for the start :<

G Rom

SolidusDave said:
has to be a placebo effect (or due to the settings of the HDTV), we already know that the game has a higher native resolution in 1080p mode. I read some people like 1080p + Sharpen though.

I didn't try 720p but 1080p + sharpen is definitely better than 1080p + standard on my TV. I play from a pretty close distance so I can easily spot the differences. The cars in front and the whole horizon look a lot less blurry.

I'll give 720p a go but on Prologue, I preferred 1080p for the sharpness over the slightly blurry upscaled 720p.

Dead Man

I think I've found my Bspec money grind. The supercar race at the High Speed Ring, give Barry the Furai, walk away, win. Bugger still can't win the truck races though. :lol

wouwie

What are the thoughts on rally? I tried the Tuscany stage but was somewhat dissapointed by the handling. I realise the road is convered with dirt but the car seems to be on ice and doesn't seem to have any weight. I always felt that Dirt felt a bit too much like skating on ice but this seems worse. What are the ideal car settings for rally or should i tweak my car?

SUPARSTARX

Hmm, the game looks super jaggy in some areas when I plug it nto my ASUS VH236H LCD.

Anybody mess with the course maker? I wished it had more options like creating your own curves, raising contours and such.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Made a video about head tracking.

GT5_Headtracking.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXRmj4mpvI

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Grayman

SUPARSTARX said:
Hmm, the game looks super jaggy in some areas when I plug it nto my ASUS VH236H LCD.

Anybody mess with the course maker? I wished it had more options like creating your own curves, raising contours and such.
i fooled around with it once. I was impressed with what it made for the lack of options, although the course was really long considering i used 2 sections. I was disappointed that there were no elevation settings at all. Elevation varies but not in a controllable way.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can't believe my copy still hasn't arrived.

I think with the snow my postman isn't bothering to deliver...and it could be this way all week :lol

Caramello said:
Yes! Silverado SST Concept '02 just showed up in the used car lot :D Now to the truck challenge!

Does anybody know how the mechanics of the used car garage work? Does it renew the stock every day? And is it the same for everybody? Or is it region specific? The U.S. getting a different range of cars than Europe?

GroteSmurf said:
Does anybody know how the mechanics of the used car garage work? Does it renew the stock every day? And is it the same for everybody? Or is it region specific? The U.S. getting a different range of cars than Europe?
I think that they are fixed with the in-game days, but I am not 100% sure about that. Didn't GT4 have it so that after for example in-game day 1000 some rarer cars started showing up?

Dont know if this was discussed, but when you race online, I cant get my personal BGM to play. Is there a way to enable this like i can when I race offline?

Melfice7 said:
I just went to SSR7 and turned off the car in the tunnel and hit the horn and... theres echo in the sound :D

Wanna be more impressed? Shut down the engine and let the car roll. Listen to the tires and then brake. Fucking perfect man.

meppi

Woohoo my second copy arrived today as well.
Again from Shopto, UK to Belgium. Ordered on Wednesday night, shipped Thursday noon and arrived Monday morning. :D

Off to order a 3rd copy for another friend and I have a feeling I will be ordering 2 more this week. :lol

TTG

B-spec is such a pain. Dude needs a dominating car to win. Well guess what? I don't have too many of those! I'm not gonna spend money upgrading something for a single race. Anyone know if the leveling system actually helps overtaking? I actually watched one of the races today, he was stuck behind some 90s hatch back for over a lap... had about a 350hp and 15 years of modern tech advantage.

lionelhutz

For the online, I checked my NAT and it was Type 2. As far as I know the manual only mentions NAT 3. Is it worth the troubleshooting to have NAT 1?

CozMick

Banned
lionelhutz said:
For the online, I checked my NAT and it was Type 2. As far as I know the manual only mentions NAT 3. Is it worth the troubleshooting to have NAT 1?

Not really, I can change my NAT with a simple cable swap and the recommended settings are the same.

NAT 3 is a big no-no though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UFRA said:
Yes!

I had TONS of trouble with this last night, then I realized I was not using all of the assists and I beat it with a Gold in 3 tries today.

Here's the settings I used:

TCS - 5
ASM - On (this setting won't save, so you have to turn it on while racing at the beginning of each restart)
ABS - 10
F Brakes - 10
R Brakes - 10

Skid Recovery Force - ON < THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. This single feature is what I had OFF yesterday, and I couldn't get better than 4th. I turned it on, and instantly noticed a difference.

I hate using assists, but it's necessary for this one...

OMG. Have I told you I love you? This makes the car SOOOOO much easier to handle. I can't get up from 4th so far, but at least I can get 4th before the hammerhead or near 4th (5th) consistently now. It's just a matter of figuring out how to get speed/controlled to 1st now. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom