• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

TheSeks said:
I'll be on the look out for it, then.

Tried to send you a Countach I won as a prize, but I can only send one car to a friend per day. Lame. I'll see if I can adjust the clock so it thinks it's some other day.

Grayman

abuC said:
Did that, then again Im using a controller, so that might be part of the problem. Also, very strange is that the Challenger doesn't seem to have a lot of power off idle, even though the way it's set up it's a torque monster.
you can also try using lower grip tires. I would not try to do it from idle though, use the handbrake and rev the engine to max release and then put on the brakes a fraction of a second later.

My C3 corvette with stock settings cannot do it in the dry because I cannot get it to smoke the tires at all in a straight line. My 458 Italia needs 80% brakes or it drives out of the burnout. As far as I know any car in GT will always inch forward while doing this.

Tarazet

donkey show said:
WTF, how do I unshare a vehicle? I can't pick my SLS AMG. =/

Click Share again.

No dice with the date/time change. I have to wait 3 hours before I can give away another car to anyone.

RotBot

Tarazet said:
Click Share again.

No dice with the date/time change. I have to wait 3 hours before I can give away another car to anyone.
Changing your time zone to match somewhere where it's tomorrow probably works.

So I'm assuming that patch they released was supposed to fix freezing? I'm still freezing mid-race and the game is basically un-playable.

Anybody else still experiencing this? And I have been offline while I play so it's not the servers.

leehom

Does anyone have any tips on how to win the Top Gear intermediate test? The elise is a pita to drive, slips and slides everywhere.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tarazet said:

It's fine. If you send it in three hours I'll wake up to a car anyway. :p

Or I can stick around and you send it. :p

UFRA

leehom said:
Does anyone have any tips on how to win the Top Gear intermediate test? The elise is a pita to drive, sleeps and slides everywhere.

Yes!

I had TONS of trouble with this last night, then I realized I was not using all of the assists and I beat it with a Gold in 3 tries today.

Here's the settings I used:

TCS - 5
ASM - On (this setting won't save, so you have to turn it on while racing at the beginning of each restart)
ABS - 10
F Brakes - 10
R Brakes - 10

Skid Recovery Force - ON < THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. This single feature is what I had OFF yesterday, and I couldn't get better than 4th. I turned it on, and instantly noticed a difference.

I hate using assists, but it's necessary for this one...

DAT PHYSICS.

Seriously, epic handling in this game, its a joy to play with any car (except the firebird, fuck you). I bought the 512BB for the Nostalgia classic and its very intense, you are on the edge of your seat the whole time racing with it. I don't upgrade any car I buy, just oil change and racing intake filter so I try to buy a car that will be competitive but not blow away the competition. I won the race in Rome but Suzuka is much tougher against that damn Muira.

Rome is such a great course btw.

Sew

leehom said:
Does anyone have any tips on how to win the Top Gear intermediate test? The elise is a pita to drive, slips and slides everywhere.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The key is not using the brake too much. Let the car just roll around some corners. You can also get away with rubbing up the sides of your opponents. I think the AI can be disqualified - once I got rear-ended really hard, and when I looked back they just stopped.

tg_test_trackwcr3.png

Green = feather your throttle rather than just pure braking.

Blue = can be done at top speed, even cut a little if skilled enough.

Numbers = place you should be at this point to win.

Chicago - rub against opponent through here.

Hammerhead - brake exactly along the red driving line into first turn, as you will still outbreak the opponents! In the second part of the hammerhead, try to rub against one more opponent and secure 5th.

Follow-through - try to slide through this if you can. If you can't it doesn't really matter.

Bacharach - arguably the toughest turn due to poor visibility. Use your brakes as intended here and maybe try to rub one more out.

Good ass tip - use the roof cam as it creates a tighter, more in control feeling.
Haven't done it myself, but keeping this bookmarked just in case. :)

UFRA said:
Yes!

I had TONS of trouble with this last night, then I realized I was not using all of the assists and I beat it with a Gold in 3 tries today.

Here's the settings I used:

TCS - 5
ASM - On (this setting won't save, so you have to turn it on while racing at the beginning of each restart)
ABS - 10
F Brakes - 10
R Brakes - 10

Skid Recovery Force - ON < THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. This single feature is what I had OFF yesterday, and I couldn't get better than 4th. I turned it on, and instantly noticed a difference.

I hate using assists, but it's necessary for this one...

Damn I should have played around with more of the assists. I beat it but I used these settings.

TCS-5
ASM- Cant remember
ABS- 1
F Brakes-5
R Brakes- 5
SRF- ON (ofcourse)

It was a bitch, took me over an hour.

TheSeks

Tarazet said:
You have a white Countach waiting for you. The time zone hax worked.

Thanks. This is almost cheating how it's blowing the pants off the AI. :lol

Do you want it back? I mean you gifted me a ticket. :lol I did put some upgrades on it to make sure it blew the pants off the AI.

Edit: OMG I JUST LAPPED AN AI. :lol :lol

I guess it's true: When life gives you lemons, get a Lambo.

Tarazet

The '54 Corvette's description blurb is from the Silverado SST Concept.. pity. The Corvette's origin story is a really interesting one.

Tarazet

TheSeks said:
Thanks. This is almost cheating how it's blowing the pants off the AI. :lol

Do you want it back? I mean you gifted me a ticket. :lol I did put some upgrades on it to make sure it blew the pants off the AI.

I got the car for free and did nothing to it, you put the dollars in it.. as far as I'm concerned it's yours.

Now, if you had a Ferrari to trade, I need one to do the Ferrari race in Professional.

TheSeks

Tarazet said:
I got the car for free and did nothing to it, you put the dollars in it.. as far as I'm concerned it's yours.

Now, if you had a Ferrari to trade, I need one to do the Ferrari race in Professional.

Sadly, I don't. But if I get the money and level I'll keep you in mind.

SUPARSTARX said:
missing Gold marks on license tests by like 0.008 seconds is pretty rage inducing
Especially when you've been posting a consistent time, but consistently a 1/10th off the gold time. Then you put together a drive that just feels different, that you know is good (no ghost in sight, little understeer, minimal braking), and then it's recorded as some variation of a 1/1000th off.

Fuggin' rage out, indeed.
emot-argh.gif

Love this game; good stuff.

Gran Turismo 5 sells 1.8million in 2 days

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/11/28/despite-the-reviews-1-8m-buy-gt5/

Proof if proof were needed that reviews can only influence gamers’ purchasing decisions a little. Because 1.8 million people have already bought Gran Turismo 5, making it one of the biggest opening week sellers on the PS3.

It’s not as though the reviews of GT5 have been negative, in fact many have been mostly positive. But many were expecting this to be a 10/10 game, whereas it’s actually scoring around 8 or 9 out of 10. Which isn’t good enough for a game that took six years to develop.

However, ******** estimates that Sony sold 1.8 million copies of the game in its first two days on sale. By the end of week one that total is expected to rise to 2.5 million. That would put it on a par with Gran Turismo 4, and be close to the opening weeks enjoyed by Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and GTA IV.

Gran Turismo 5 was always going to sell in huge numbers, with fans of the series queuing to get the game at the first opportunity. Will the issues raised in the reviews harm sales from here on in? Possibly, but for now no amount of negativity is going to have an impact.

TheSeks

Anyone need a Fiat 500 'F '65? PM me if you need one. I got an extra and it's yours for free. Just tell me if you want it in black or red.

Edit: Blu Scuro or Red. My bad.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
X-Frame said:
The PS3 GT Racing Wheel is going for $85 on Amazon .. I'm very tempted ..

Anyone with this wheel (not the G27) .. recommend it?

The only thing I can compare it to is the MS racing wheel, and it's much, much, much better than that.

The MS wheel was my first force feedback wheel, and I was left wondering what the big deal was. Then, when I got the DFGT and GT5 (more so than Prologue), I understood.

Tarazet

There's a '74 Lancer rally car at the used car dealer for 48,489 credits. Is that going to be useful later? It's FR and has 157 hp stock.

Stoffinator

Has anybody driven on the Nürburgring, Nordschleife at night yet? Damn is that scary. Always waiting for bigfoot or something to step out. lol

DarkJC

Red Blaster said:
How the fuck did the idea that GT5 took 6 years to develop catch on.
Soon people are going to be saying 7. I watched the inflation from 4 to 5 to 6 happen on this board over the last month.

Dead Man

Red Blaster said:
How the fuck did the idea that GT5 took 6 years to develop catch on.
Maybe the gap between 4 and 5? Dec 2004 to Nov 2010. It is a fair assessment, even if they were not working on GT5 the whole time. It did take 6 years for the next one to e released.

Dead Man said:
Maybe the gap between 4 and 5? Dec 2004 to Nov 2010. It is a fair assessment, even if they were not working on GT5 the whole time. It did take 6 years for the next one to e released.

Starcraft II took ten years to make :eek:

Salacious Crumb said:
I'll take it assuming someone hasn't jumped me.

PSN ID: salaciouscrumb_

Please dude, send me that when you are done. Assassin47. AND HURRY! :p

Dead Man

Lion Heart said:
Starcraft II took ten years to make :eek:
Well, you can point to a lot of products that were released between SC and SCII. PD did GTHD and Prologue before PSP, so one assumes they were working in some way on GT5 at those times. GTHD was released Dec 2006, and would have been in development before that. SO if you include HD in the development process for 5, then 5 years is not an extraordinary claim. Regardless, it was a very long time.

Dead Man said:

Taking 6 years to release a sequel != Taking 6 years to develop

Polyphony worked on Tourist Trophy and screwed around with that GTHD nonsense (when they were gonna port all of GT4 to PS3 and have users pay for the cars they want or something) before focusing on GT5. Development of GT5 likely didn't start in earnest until mid 2006.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Dead Man said:
Well, you can point to a lot of products that were released between SC and SCII.

I don't see how it is different for PD. They released several games in between. Granted, they are racing games, but that doesn't mean they take zero amount of time.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How does the game know its your birthday? I dont think I recall entering one when I first played the game. Is it looking at your PSN account Bday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom