• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
heliconsoul said:
Being as I'm only level 3 in b-spec that could take a lot longer than just grinding 5 million. Hmm.

Just do it. You could get a free X1 to sell grinding B-spec enough, and gives you the 5 million doing it anyway. :p

Also the Prius is a shitbox. I have full understanding why Clarkson hates it. Full upgrades to the bitch and only get third because it sucks/hurtles at corners. :|

TheSeks said:
Just do it. You could get a free X1 to sell grinding B-spec enough, and gives you the 5 million doing it anyway. :p

Urg, suppose I better man up. Would be a lot easier if they finally sorted GT Anywhere out, I could level up while the Mrs is watching telly then :lol

TheSeks

Guys, seriously don't underestimate tires.

*supes up a Lotus Elise for the Seasonal Race*
"Man, this car drives like the Top Gear Test Track one/like ass. I wonder what the fuss is about."
(Buys Racing: Medium tires)
"HOLY SHIT! I'M CORNERING THROUGH CORNERS AT BREAKNECK SPEEDS ON THE RING, JESUS CHRIST!"
(Passes first and laps the cars by -00.30.000)
"FUCK YES, YOU ARE THE BEST CAR EVER!"

ashk

TheSeks said:

"Man, this car drives like the Top Gear Test Track one/like ass. I wonder what the fuss is about."
"HOLY SHIT! I'M CORNERING THROUGH CORNERS AT BREAKNECK SPEEDS ON THE RING, JESUS CHRIST!"

The only thing I upgraded on the cars for doing the new seasonal is tyres; I like keeping my cars stock. Put racing softs on them and every event is laughingly easy. If you want more of a challenge, just buy some cheaper ones.

TheSeks said:

There's a reason real Elises come with special tires when you buy them :p

Hanmik

When does the first bunch of events end..? is it tonight? or are they allready gone..? I had gold in the RX-7 and silver in the rest.. I would love to get gold on the remaining ones tonight..

hamchan said:
Bah, that's kinda crap. Even though I could never come first I really enjoyed the challenge.

I'm glad they removed it. Now you can tailor the challenge to whatever level you'd like. You just have to have the discipline to not over tune.

I'm kind of crap so I found myself turning on SRF to win some previous events which felt more like cheating than over tuning.

Ideally they'd introduce a scaled reward system based off of performance points or something.

brentech

Hanmik said:
When does the first bunch of events end..? is it tonight? or are they allready gone..? I had gold in the RX-7 and silver in the rest.. I would love to get gold on the remaining ones tonight..
They're all gone or locked off.

Hanmik

brentech said:
They're all gone or locked off.

damn... ok got silver and one gold, so I got a decent amount of Xp and Cr.. now onto the second bunch.. I have only bronze in 2 events a 4th. place (minis) and a 7th. place (RX-7), and not high enough level to try the last event..

avaya

Tried to Suzuka with the X1 in a free run, can do low 1:04.xxx's putting two laps together is still gonna be tough.

Fuck B spec, seriously. Formula car is on a wet track at Suzuka and starts sliding all over and the driver looks like a fool. He was given the proper tires in the beginning and yet 16 laps into the race he decides to pit and the game can't remember what I started out with and puts hard tires in the front and rain in the back. He still can't control the car. He pits again and puts on racing hards and all is suddenly fine? When did the rain stop and suddenly disappear off the tarmac? WTF JUST HAPPENED? I lost hours of progress with one race because it can't communicate what is going on. I wouldn't be this angry if there was an option to speed all this shit up.

captscience said:
Ideally they'd introduce a scaled reward system based off of performance points or something.
I miss the PP system from prologue.

wud

Neo Member
does anyone have a Minolta (or any jap race car of that level) that they don't use anymore they could possibly gift me? i don't really have any cars in the same level as them to gift back but I have a silver matte paint chip if people are still collecting them

brentech

avaya said:
Tried to Suzuka with the X1 in a free run, can do low 1:04.xxx's putting two laps together is still gonna be tough.
That track really works your arms with the rapid turns. Hell, the car in general does. Makes some of these fitness games look foolish, lol.

wud said:
does anyone have a Minolta (or any jap race car of that level) that they don't use anymore they could possibly gift me? i don't really have any cars in the same level as them to gift back but I have a silver matte paint chip if people are still collecting them
I'll help. I have the minolta.

-viper-

Banned
brentech said:
That track really works your arms with the rapid turns. Hell, the car in general does. Makes some of these fitness games look foolish, lol.
Completing the Nurburgring challenge caused me to sweat. :lol

Bobo

brentech said:
:lol Yes! My shoulders were aching after doing the Suzuka 1000km in the X1.

TheSeks

Metalmurphy said:
There's a reason real Elises come with special tires when you buy them :p

If those special tires are "Sports: Medium" then the Lotuses suck. Racing: Medium is the only time it becomes somewhat tame. :lol

Quake1028

heliconsoul said:
Can't wait to get those events done, free money and xp is fine by me, I have expensive car tastes,

Speaking of which has anyone here got a "GT by Citroen Race Car", every time I look at it I fall in love and want to know it it handles well before I save over 5mill for it!

I could also swap a Vettel X1 for one if someone wants as well :lol

I've got the GT by Citroen Car. 0 Miles. I'll trade it for the X1.

brentech

Finished the 3rd set of Bonus races. Now I gotta use some time the next few days to improve my GT Academy times a bit.
I'm also still hoping that there will be some sort of reward worked out for the time trial and drift seasonals.

wud

Neo Member
just like to say InEffectMode is trustworthy to trade with, sent me a minolta AND did the body restoration and engine re-build!!

is it bad that i enjoy bspec more than aspec? I have to turn a few driving aids on when I do aspec because I'm using a controller then i feel like im cheating

Bobo

TheSeks said:
It requires a supeing up?
All I did was a stage2 weight reduction and racing hard tyres. Took the lead at the end of lap 3. You might want to stick a wing on the rear too.

I started a completely new profile at 9 and within three hours, I'd leveled up to 21 and had 2 million in the bank. I started out with a used Nissan, threw a few upgrades on it, did three quick races on the Autumn Ring to get to level 1, did the level 1 karting challenges, the level 2 Nascar stuff, the Top Gear samba bus challenge, bought a Mazda, upgraded it to 500hp, did a three lap race on Tokyo r246, then did the 10 lap 600,000 credit event at Tsukuba, bought an Elise, upgraded it, did the 500,000 credit challenge at Nurburgring G/P, bought a Ford GT, upgraded it to 800hp, did the 5 lap/1 million challenge at Trial Mountain, then bought the Citroen road car for the 1.5 million event at Rome. So the A-spec grinding from level 0 to 21 has been eliminated.
edit: I went this route to get enough money to buy an exotic, then gift it to my main account. (shrugs) it was more interesting this way than doing that fucking boring Indianapolis 500 challenge in the American Series.

brentech

Seeing as how I couldn't get myself to "dupe" my X1 or anything (just feels to cheater-ish), I guess playing on my wifes account (which she has soley for LBP individuality) and gifting myself a car off the bonus events isn't a bad idea at all. Still earned legit...

Normally I would say "meh, I'll just do X event on my own account." But, the value of the bonus events is to great. Probably give that a try sometime...thanks for bringing it up again.

plainr_

Angst said:
It's something wrong with the deadzone. Thankfully it's easily fixed by keeping you foot ever so lightly on the break pedal during the initial boot calibration. By doing that the game thinks your zero brake level is slightly below no pressure on the pedals and you won't have the issue.

Thank you! I'm gonna give this a try when I jump online tonight.

omygawd, driving this with the DFGT is soooo much better than with a gamepad. again reminding me of my mistake of selling the G25.

in other news: yeah it is kind of lame that they removed the tech restrictions on Seasonal Events. I guess we can still torture ourselves manually by driving them with stock cars but the temptation to bolt +300hp extra is still there!

Shaneus

Noisepurge said:
in other news: yeah it is kind of lame that they removed the tech restrictions on Seasonal Events. I guess we can still torture ourselves manually by driving them with stock cars but the temptation to bolt +300hp extra is still there!
Just like the rest of the game!

Schmitty

So what's the deal with some cars reaching their high speed and then decelerating a few mph and then accelerating back to top speed? I'm trying to race a Dodge Challenger '70 in the classic muscle car challenge and I can't win because of this problem. I tried upgrading transmission and then engine stuff but nothing worked. I've run into this problem before but it didn't matter since the tracks didn't have long straightaways.

Suggestions?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
How do I beat this Prius challenge? I bought it and tuned it up to 139hp but still only came in 9th, 37 seconds behind first. I don't get it.

NameGenerated said:
How do I beat this Prius challenge? I bought it and tuned it up to 139hp but still only came in 9th, 37 seconds behind first. I don't get it.

Its all about the tires. Racing hard or medium should do it. The hard part for me is not having gears to figure out my turn speeds. The rev doesn't help either.

upgrade the Citroen WRC car, equip it with soft racing tires and it's probably the best non F1 car you could take on the Ring if you want to learn the intricacies of the track while pushing fast and hard. it handles even better than the GTRs, Imprezas and Evos.

_RT_

Didn't think I would ask... but leveling up my b-spec is taking for.....ever.
Any chance someone would be willing to gift me an X-1?

I'm lame. I know.

Shaneus

NameGenerated said:
I gave up on the early ones... two much cost with not much reward (Cr-wise, at least). Though the XP beckons, I just can't be fucked doing them :lol

PS. How about some B-spec seasonal events, PD? Grinding is fucking killing me (and my console).

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
MiniBossBattle said:
Its all about the tires. Racing hard or medium should do it. The hard part for me is not having gears to figure out my turn speeds. The rev doesn't help either.
Damn, thanks. Did it again with Racing:Medium and easily got 1st. Guess I'll put those on all my cars if they help that much. :lol

Bobo

Schmitty said:
So what's the deal with some cars reaching their high speed and then decelerating a few mph and then accelerating back to top speed? I'm trying to race a Dodge Challenger '70 in the classic muscle car challenge and I can't win because of this problem. I tried upgrading transmission and then engine stuff but nothing worked. I've run into this problem before but it didn't matter since the tracks didn't have long straightaways.

Suggestions?
You need to increase the top speed. In the tuning settings page for the car go to transmission and then increase the top speed.

Schmitty

Bobo said:
You need to increase the top speed. In the tuning settings page for the car go to transmission and then increase the top speed.
Do I have to buy the fully customizable transmission for that?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So, erm, I was planning tonight of tightening my finances by winning and pawning a veyron. Brilliant plan.

TheSeks

Shaneus said:
PS. How about some B-spec seasonal events, PD? Grinding is fucking killing me (and my console).

Seriously, I've been asking for it for a while.

Just give me a fucking EXP boost in B-spec so level 15+ isn't a mountain. Or do seasonal to where it jumps me to level 40 in one race. Either/or, I can't give a fuck. Just drop the grind. God.

RT said:

If you still need one, PM me. I won't be able to give it to you until Tomorrow evening, due to gift restrictions, but I can dupe you one.

Heads up for this months NeoGAFFER in a Reasonably Priced car:

TDVSf.jpg

- The reasonably priced car for this month (January 2011):
gyW4F.jpg

Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02 [63 BHP]
1BiTb.png

Thanks to UFRA for the suggestion :p

Official Thread Here

Top Bottom