• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Shaneus

Thank FUCK the Formula GT B-spec is nowhere near as stressful as I was expecting. About 25 laps through the first race and leading somewhat comfortably.

So, SO fucking relieved.

Shaneus said:
Thank FUCK the Formula GT B-spec is nowhere near as stressful as I was expecting. About 25 laps through the first race and leading somewhat comfortably.

So, SO fucking relieved.

B Spec for me was easy. It is A spec that I fear.

Shaneus

Dibbz said:
What's the best car to use for the Dream Car race? Most of you guys used the Vette right? Will the Zonda do?
Minolta.

Oh, and FFS something needs to be done about mid-championship resuming. I'm reprogramming my old Harmony remote (after an incident a few days ago with my newer one and Dance Central) and it asks if everything's powered off. I click "no" (stupid) and it powers off the fucking PS3 in the middle of the fourth race in the Formua GT B-spec. Didn't save my XP progress, didn't save championship progress and sure as shit didn't give me the individual wins for each race.

Seriously, the fact that you have to leave a console on for extended periods of time simply to finish the thing is ridiculous, but not saving until AFTER you've completed a championship that's bound to last at least 5 hours? Give me a break.

GT5 is slowly becoming an exercise in extreme frustration for me now and I don't like it one bit :(

Firewire

Banned
Man I love this game, there's just so much to do! Just started tackling some of the seasonal events and I still have some of the special events to do! Getting close to the end of a-spec though, but still have a fair bit of b-spec to do. The online just keeps sucking my time up, track days with friends are a ton of fun.

btw why is this thread in community? I had to do the google search to find it! :lol

Niks

Yeah, playing online with friends is so good.

The GAF Super GT practices have been really fun, and every once in a while you can find random rooms that are good too.

X-Frame

I don't understand why everyone just doesn't Subscribe to their favorite threads.

They moved this to Community and I didn't even realize it for weeks.

Mush

Hello friends. I would like to extend an invitation to the pants party all members of GT5-GAF to watch today's festivities in the opening round of the Super GT League. All spectators are welcome, just pop over to the League thread and grab the code which will be lurker-proofed and posted soonish.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KennyLinder said:
For the C4 WRC event I kept the car as it comes, but changed the oil and put on Racing Softs. I was 1st by mid-way through the 3rd lap. All assists (except ABS=1) set to OFF.

Thanks, man. That gave me 1.5million for minimum effort.

Now if I could gold the first two challenges instead of bronze, silvering them, this would be the first bonus races that I all golded. :lol

NEOPARADIGM said:
ps3trophies.org is saying 600+ hours for platinum ... :lol

Yeah, um, no thanks.
I'd say way more than that. B-spec is well over 300 hours on its own, and just buying the cars (1000 of them) will take an incredible amount of time because you have to wait for the delivery, then loading, and saving, and confirming etc.

The Mazda 787b is a really nice vehicle, especially with a turbo. It's also one of the few vehicle where the engine sounds reasonable from the cockpit. Cool cockpit layout as well, this is from 91? It looks ahead of its time, did Mazda cause a sensation when it unveiled this vehicle?

-viper-

Banned
So who has a rally car for the seasonal event challenge that i may borrow?

I'll make it worth your while by giving you a free Red X1!

Quake1028

Gran Turismo Red Bull X2010

Who has one for trade? I have the cars below to swap:

X2010 Carbon (240 miles)
X2010 S.Vettel (4,600 miles)
Formula GT (4,500 miles)
Mazda 787B (0 miles)
GT by Citroen Race Car (0 miles)
Toyota MINOLTA (800 something miles)
Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Stealth (800 something miles)
Mazda Furai (300 something miles)
Toyota 7 Race Car (200 something miles)

I have some other good cars to trade but can't check right now. In the middle of an endurance race.

cilonen

FGT B- and A-spec done. Phew that took all day. Now I can hand the car over to the Bobs for Enduro races without worrying about them trashing the engine.

A-spec Indy 500 next, in an Audi R10 TDI.

brentech

cilonen said:
A-spec Indy 500 next, in an Audi R10 TDI.
Doing it right now in my X1. Taking a short break as I'm at lap 101. I run 31:xx to 32:xx....much faster than using my FGT. Though, I can't use my wheel cause the downforce creates so much turbulence it just becomes a forearm workout to keep control of the car.

I just noticed that there still is some time progression on tracks that don't have a Day/Night cycle.

I just saw Suzuka go from Dawn to Dusk.

yeah, who needs a super GT car when you can plow through with a regular ass GT-R (well..all weight reductions, best tyres and 666hp but still!)

Dibbz

Metalmurphy said:
No idea. I was doing the B-spec Formula GT and just noticed it. Near the end it the lighting/shadowing was totally different.
I'm guessing it was the rain version Suzuka? The weather and lighting does vary in those tracks but I don't think it actually starts getting dark or anything.

Dibbz said:
I'm guessing it was the rain version Suzuka? The weather and lighting does vary in those tracks but I don't think it actually starts getting dark or anything.
Yeah, it gets overcast / misty, but never so far as dark.

cilonen

brentech said:
Doing it right now in my X1. Taking a short break as I'm at lap 101. I run 31:xx to 32:xx....much faster than using my FGT. Though, I can't use my wheel cause the downforce creates so much turbulence it just becomes a forearm workout to keep control of the car.

Nice. I have a couple of self imposed rules; must be a premium for cockpit view and ideally open cockpit to keep to the spirit of the Indy 500. With the Ferrari F1 cars out, the R10 was my last hope, it's just quick enough, running 41's / 42's on Racing Hard tyres in the quick practises I had.

On another note, the A-spec FGT series sucked. Not that it was overly tricky, more that it felt way more 'arcadey' than anything else in the game. It feels like the AI suddenly abandons whatever routines it uses for the rest of the game and starts rubberbanding like crazy - I wiped out spectacularly at Monza, putting me last, gained first within 5 laps and then could not pull away from the field for anything, they just cruised up to the back of me on every straight, just as I had when moving through the pack.

The difference in lap times between the AI on A-spec and B-spec FGT championships is also eye-opening; it just feels really 'cheap' in A-spec.

Dibbz said:

It didn't get dark, just dusk. The lighting was more "orange" and the shadows were different near the end.

sublimit

Banned
Hey did they managed to solve the tyres problem?
Even though i have bought and equipped racing soft tyres to my car,after i picked another car the previous one has "magically" returned to comfort soft tyres and i'm not able to equip the racing ones.

Any help?:(

sublimit said:
Even though i have bought and equipped racing soft tyres to my car,after i picked another car the previous one has "magically" returned to comfort soft tyres and i'm not able to equip the racing ones.

Never had that problem.

You sure it's not just a tyre restriction for the race?

Westonian

Does anyone have a Toyota 7 I could have for the historic race? The thought of having to grind B-Spec to Like the Wind makes me want to kill myself.

cilonen

sublimit said:

In A-spec select the tyres you want to use in the 'driving options' menu (the one with AT / MT selection and all the driving aid options), next to the 'start race' icon on the screen immediately before beginning a race.

In B-spec a lot of the races are tyre restricted, so it'll automatically switch you to the default tyres if the ones you bought and fitted are too good to be allowed in that race.

sublimit

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Never had that problem.

You sure it's not just a tyre restriction for the race?

No it's not a tyre restriction issue.I googled it and unfortunately it appears to be a common problem.
It seems the only way is to solve this is to keep rebuying racing soft tyres...
Fuck.

Edit:Thanks cilonen now i feel like an idiot.I thought this option would've been in the settings menu (the one before the race).
Again thanks a lot!

brentech

sublimit said:
No it's not a tyre restriction issue.I googled it and unfortunately it appears to be a common problem.
It seems the only way is to solve this is to keep rebuying racing soft tyres...
Fuck.
Not trying to be rude, but honestly think you're doing it wrong.

Bizzyb

Banned
I still haven't been able to race with the top down on any of my convertibles. Can anyone please just confirm if it's even possible

The new batch of Seasonal Events went so quick :( All beat on first try. I preferred the restrictions. The nice thing was that I didn't have to buy a single car this time.

Shaneus

Is it a widely known issue that weather is buggy in this? I'm at the start of the last FGT B-spec race, it starts raining... I change to wet weather but no-one else does. Bob keeps wanting to go back into the pits for some weird reason... why? To change into racing hards! So I let him and it now seems he's lapping 10sec+ quicker than previously. After finally working out what the fuck was going on, he's come from dead-last (and being lapped by everyone) to coming first with two laps to go :lol

tl;dr: Looks like it's raining but it's having no effect on the cars. Does this sometimes happen?

Is success at B-Spec just about having the better car? My guy got 3rd in a race, I then leveled up, and he got 8th, 5th, then 5th again. This mode seems so random and unbalanced. I honestly feel like I have no affect on my driver's success. The only time I win is when I have a car that is massively over-powered, and I just set the controller down and let him win.

What are the secrets to making this mode fun and manageable? My guy is only level 5, but he has a hard time winning level 1 and 2 races with normal cars. He has to have a super car to win it.

Bizzyb

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Is success at B-Spec just about having the better car? My guy got 3rd in a race, I then leveled up, and he got 8th, 5th, then 5th again. This mode seems so random and unbalanced. I honestly feel like I have no affect on my driver's success. The only time I win is when I have a car that is massively over-powered, and I just set the controller down and let him win.

What are the secrets to making this mode fun and manageable? My guy is only level 5, but he has a hard time winning level 1 and 2 races with normal cars. He has to have a super car to win it.

know how to pace your driver.

It all has to do with his level/experience, speed and strength. The more strength he has the less likely he will let a tense situation tire him out as quickly/easily. When that strength meter goes down, mistakes go up. Sometimes it helps to start the race with keeping pace up, but know when to drop pace. Dropping pace won't always mean slowing down, but what it will mean is that your driver isn't going to be in a hurry to past someone, and hence not make his turn properly, or brake improperly, which will fudge him up even worse.

Maintain a slower/cooler pace when you are on a section of the track that is technical or when you are near an opponent close enough that you aren't going to lose them. Bide your time and wait for mistakes, then use overtake when you see an opportunity coming up or when you notice they took a turn badly or blatantly fudged up a section. Your AI opponents also have strength/endurance and will also mess up if they are in intense situations for too long.
EDIT: Maintaining pace is also COMPLETELY relevant to where your driver's pace is on the meter. It basically keeps you driving "cool" (slower and more cautious) or "hot" (fast but less cautious). Basically just maintain pace according to how hot or cool you want/need your driver to be.

Increase pace on straightaways or sections/turns that allow for high speeds. Sometimes high pace cannot be helped, esp when your driver is being closely chased, boxed, or near his rival. Increasing pace just means that the driver will drive more daring, i.e. braking later/less, taking turns faster, and overall driving faster. This can be VERY bad for technical sections of the course or when your driver has low strength, as he will be more and more likely to make mistakes, run into the railings or flat-out crash.

Overall, obviously having a faster car will help, but its completely possible to lose with a faster car, or win with a slower car. It all depends on when and how you direct your driver and how well experienced they are. Get to know the course. Find out what your drivers strengths and weakness are and what sections of the course they excel or are weak at. Know when to have them driving hot or cool.

Edit: Remember this is NOT A-Spec, you are most likely not always going to grab top spot within the 1st lap. B-spec is about strategizing and endurance, and patiently waiting for your moment.

Edit: Also, a driver who has a personality that is "Cool" won't let situations stress him out as easily and can drop pace quicker. But this is turns makes them a driver who does not take chances and plays it safe when trying to overtake drivers, which leads to less successful overtakes. "Hot" personalities on the other hand are the opposite. They get stressed easier but in turn they are more daring and will attempt takeovers easier and more successfully but their pace drops slower when instructed to pace down making them more susceptible to mistakes once they get "heated" or "tensed" . Each personalities has their advantages and disadvantages.

Melfice7

h3ro said:
I just got 54,000 credits for a 60 lap Endurance race. :lol

I dont understand why are they so conservative with money rewards, what bad could come from giving 5x+ more? more people would have more money to buy more cars..would it unbalance the game somehow? its unbalanced right now :lol

Melfice7

Shaneus said:
tl;dr: Looks like it's raining but it's having no effect on the cars. Does this sometimes happen?

When it starts raining it doesnt get the road instantely wet, if you see the cars spraying water its time to pit

Top Bottom