• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech

My Bobs doing their 2nd consecutive 4hr 'ring endurance. They were a sliver from reaching level 32 bspec....which means one thing...they'll be driving 9hrs tomorrow night! I'm curious how much XP that 9hr event will get. I have a feeling it will have to be done more than twice to level....which is quite sad.

Endurance races really need like 4x exp. I would do the 9 hour on B-spec, but it's a 60 GB so I won't even dare until I get a slim next year.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
If anybody can send me either:

Minolta
Toyota 7
Chapparal

I'd love you.

PSN: ArnoldK

ElyrionX

I'm doing my own personal time attacks on Nurburgring using various cars but there doesn't seem to be a utility in-game that records a list of timings for each car. The one they show in Practice Free Run appears to only have space for a top ten list of times and it doesn't even compress the list such that only the best time for each car is shown, ie. if i'm racing the 458 and DB9, once i set 10 laps with both cars, if my best DB9 time is slower than my worst 458 time then the entire list will be dominated by 458 times.

Is there a better way to do this if i want to do is set fastest laps with various cars?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ElyrionX said:
I'm doing my own personal time attacks on Nurburgring using various cars but there doesn't seem to be a utility in-game that records a list of timings for each car. The one they show in Practice Free Run appears to only have space for a top ten list of times and it doesn't even compress the list such that only the best time for each car is shown, ie. if i'm racing the 458 and DB9, once i set 10 laps with both cars, if my best DB9 time is slower than my worst 458 time then the entire list will be dominated by 458 times.

Is there a better way to do this if i want to do is set fastest laps with various cars?
None I'm afraid. What I normally do in such conditions is record a time trial session. If I do a better session with the same car later on, I overwrite the original. That gives me at least some sort of record.

If I'd ever meet the guy who came up with the tests for the special license and I'd pack a soldering iron just by chance, it won't end well for that guy..

I'm currently on level 30 (A-SPEC) and level 10 (B-SPEC) with 850k, all licenses and don't know what to do now. I don't own any super sports car, yet and don't know how to get them. :(

Patrick Bateman said:
I'm currently on level 30 (A-SPEC) and level 10 (B-SPEC) with 850k, all licenses and don't know what to do now. I don't own any super sports car, yet and don't know how to get them. :(
How on earth did you get to level 30 without owning a (I assume) race car?

Did you endlessly re-do some events?

Dead Man

The third online event races are so much easier than the second. The ones I have done so far I think I could have beaten in a stock car, and there's no tuning limits?! PD needs to find a balance for the difficulty in this.

Dead Man said:
The third online event races are so much easier than the second. The ones I have done so far I think I could have beaten in a stock car, and there's no tuning limits?! PD needs to find a balance for the difficulty in this.

Everyone: THIS IS TOO HARD
PD: Lets turn off the restrictions
Everyone: THIS IS TOO EASY!
PD: *facepalm*

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
Or, happy medium, ease the restrictions! Also, I have never said the first ones were too hard, just that they were hard.

hamchan

Metalmurphy said:
PD made a mistake.

It should have gone:

PD: Fuck y'all, that's why they're bonus races. Only the best should be able to get the best prizes.
Everyone: aww ok.

They have to do something about those endurance races. A 9 hour race on Tsukuba should pay out millions, their prize money system in Aspec is absurd. especially when you look at what they're paying out for 15 minute special events.

Melfice7

They should increase the credits online too.. why not do it like prologue? i remember winning 60/70k for first place on the 5+ laps events

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:

PD: Here's how we fix it:

-Restrictions
-No bullshit 50+HP over the stock car of the player's... cars. EG: All the cars are stock as is the players and they're same car as the players. Ergo, the player has to drive hard and fast to overtake and win.

Kaz: BRILLIANT! IMPLEMENT IT RIGHT AWAY!

Dear Sony/PD: I just saved you 50+ man hours, hire me and/or pay me.

Dead Man

Patrick Bateman said:
I only did two races twice. I don't know where I should have got one. :/
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134047

You should have several if you have completed level 30 A spec
A-Spec Extreme

NASCAR Series: Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO (S)
Schwarzwald League B: Audi Pikes Peak Quattro Concept '03 (S)
Like The Wind: Minolta 88C-V '89 (S)
Super GT Series: Calsonic Skyline GT-R race car '93 (S)
DTM Series: BMW 2002 Turbo '73 (S)
Dream Car Championship: Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II (S)
American Championship: Jay Leno Tank Car ‘03 (S)
European Championship: Audi Le Mans quattro ‘03 (S)
Formula GT: Caterham Fireblade (S)
Extreme events complete: Gift car ticket level 21

X-Frame

PD just needs to make the HP limit take into account what HP the car will gain after the initial oil-change and break-in. Whatever that is, make the HP restriction 1 HP more or something at the LEAST.

Of course they can allow more wiggle room for people to beast up their cars a bit more - but no HP/tire restrictions for the last set of seasonals was too easy - but getting another $3.5 million allowed me to buy another 10 cars. :D

Dead Man

Patrick Bateman said:
I'm currently only starting the Extreme series. Best car i own and want to use for the German championship is the Audi R8..
If that is the League B you should be fine, if it's the DTM race you will need a DTM car.

Westonian

Patrick Bateman said:
Oh, I just noticed that I'm at level 20 and not 30. :\
I was in the same boat. What I did was buy a Corvette ZR1, oil change plus race mod in the GT shop, upgrade it all the way in the tuning store. Total investment was just under 500K.

Use your new race car and beat Like the Wind. The Toyota Minolta you win will serve you well for all of the extreme events it qualifies for. It does need some tuning though. I found one over at GT planet that made my Minolta a win button.

brentech

Just got my 240th car. Was rewarded with a horn and matte black. Will have to decide which car to paint, have other mattes on hand, but been wanting matte black.

Dibbz

What is a good premium car I can use to beat:

Like the wind
Dream Car

I was thinking Zonda R. I've been waiting to buy the Zonda and this seems like a good opportunity. The Peugeot 908 is tempting to but it's got less BHP. Which is better to have out of these two?

I know you guys like to RM the ZR-1 but I don't want a Vette, and I don't want a standard car.

-viper-

Banned
Dibbz said:

Like the wind
Dream Car

I was thinking Zonda R. I've been waiting to buy the Zonda and this seems like a good opportunity. The Peugeot 908 is tempting to but it's got less BHP. Which is better to have out of these two?

I know you guys like to RM the ZR-1 but I don't want a Vette, and I don't want a standard car.
For both races I used a Mazda 787B.

Dead Man

Dibbz said:

Like the wind
Dream Car

The Pug is a beast, ignore the HP rating, it's one of the fastest non F1 cars in the game.

brentech

My boys are 2 hours into their 9 hour race. Sadly, they'll probably finish, get small break while I play around in Photo mode and then have to go back to it over night. I feel like a horrible team owner.

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
I'd say way more than that. B-spec is well over 300 hours on its own, and just buying the cars (1000 of them) will take an incredible amount of time because you have to wait for the delivery, then loading, and saving, and confirming etc.
Because of all the grinding, I feel burned out on GT5.

I don't know how many hours I've put in the game so far, but I'm sure it's A LOT.

The least enjoyable GT career mode so far.

GT3 was a far, far better 'game'.

Don't really have the motivation to finish this game to be honest. It all seems rather pointless. I could spend time completing B-Spec and all the A-Spec races... but for what? The prize cars are all shit, you barely get any money etc. There is no sense of progression and no sense of being rewarded.

i was a slave to the B-Spec Formula GT series yesterday. I really hope they implement a save feature mid championship. It really sucked not being able to go anywhere or shut off my PS3 during that long series. Until they add that feature, I don't think I will ever have time to A-Spec it.

Metalmurphy said:

Am I the only one that liked both bonus races? If they went back and forth, I would have no problem with that.

Bonus races did three things for me:
Put GT5 back in my system (bonus races are limited time only)
Tons of money and XP to help with the slow A Spec grind
Had me drive cars I would never have purchased (Ford Focus, Prius, Ford GT)

Now gimme more XP for B-Spec AND save states for B-Spec Championships.

MiniBossBattle said:
Am I the only one that liked both bonus races? If they went back and forth, I would have no problem with that.

Bonus races did three things for me:
Put GT5 back in my system (bonus races are limited time only)
Tons of money and XP to help with the slow A Spec grind
Had me drive cars I would never have purchased (Ford Focus, Prius, Ford GT)

Now gimme more XP for B-Spec AND save states for B-Spec Championships.

I liked them before the removed the restrictions. Now I'm not sure what tires to use. Using better tires is enough for the race to be too easy.

Gloomfire said:
BTW, I'm pretty sure my PS3 has been on for over a week straight. I fear for it's life.
as long as its dusted and in a well ventilated area, you're fine. You could leave it on for months at a time as long as it's situated in the correct area and regularly dusted.

Dibbz

Just got the long credits. Amazing stuff.
The camera driving around the ring and the city was amazing.

EDIT:- Added
jspspoiler.jpg
:lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Westonian said:
Keep it. I've got another in the garage.

<3

wud said:
what have you got to trade? I've got the Toyota 7

I don't really have anything. If you can just let me borrow it so I can do the historic race in Expert, I'll send it back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You guys really should check MetalMurphy's thread and star on the "reasonably priced car." Come on guys, I know you're all faster than my shitty December time on the Top Gear Test Track!

Top Bottom