• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TTG

Decided to give the Red Bull X1 challenge a real whirl since the new seasonal events dragged me back in. It is BRUTAL with a controller, haha. Fired a podcast up like a half hour in, just got bronze at Monza and that means it took me somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. Now, I know that doesn't sound so bad... but when you're retrying the same 2 minute segment over and over and over and most of the time you don't make it through the first lap... yeesh. And it's all survival, it's not like I was perfecting some corners trying to find a couple of tenths. You just try as hard as you can to not get disqualified and then pray you're close. I was within .2 seconds twice before I got it and another couple of times within a half second. On to Nurburgring GP, I guess.

Dead Man

SolidusDave said:
totally worth it for "high speed" cornering for which the car was apparently not made ...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aXs8WpAk8MY/TS9wk3pLceI/AAAAAAAABYM/9wXNLNioa_E/s640/Deep%20Forest%20Raceway.jpg[IMG]

ok, I will get you with my secret two wheel mode... ACTIVATE

[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_aXs8WpAk8MY/TS9wjp3ZY0I/AAAAAAAABYI/Cvwwg0Myd1g/s640/Deep%20Forest%20Raceway.jpg[IMG]

*vrrruuuum* :D

later in that race...

[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_aXs8WpAk8MY/TS9wiVfj1iI/AAAAAAAABYE/tWi7Va5ufUY/s640/Deep%20Forest%20Raceway.jpg[IMG]

oh no, no, no, no, no

[IMG]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aXs8WpAk8MY/TS9whgcEe5I/AAAAAAAABYA/ofSD291_fIc/s640/Deep%20Forest%20Raceway.jpg[IMG]

... -.-

[spoiler](I won :lol :lol )[/spoiler]

oh and that sound in the cockpit view HAS to be a bug/mistake, right?[/QUOTE]
Awesome pics, but the gravity/weight model is pretty busted, I've had the same thing almost happen in an Elise. I couldn't get the roll, but the first series of corners at the Nurburgring GP track, soft racing tyres and 1 weight reduction = 2 wheel action around every corner. Not right.

brentech

My Bobs are about to finish their first Lemans 24hr event. If it wasn't just the "first", I'd be far more excited. Sadly, GT Anywhere won't fix this. Simply needs a damn fast forward function. Not like I issued a single command other than 'start'

brentech said:
My Bobs are about to finish their first Lemans 24hr event. If it wasn't just the "first", I'd be far more excited. Sadly, GT Anywhere won't fix this. Simply needs a damn fast forward function. Not like I issued a single command other than 'start'

A simple solution is to have the driver/drivers not be available for said 24 hours. You run the higher risk of them losing but at least that would prevent having your PS3 on for 24 hours. To make it more elaborate, you could have a "check status" under the drivers to tweak your coaching.

Just got the Grand Finale Trophy movie. Smashing Pumpkins, classical music (was in the youth symphony) and Gran Turismo were a huge part of my gaming life in high school. I now know what gaming nostalgia feels like. This game is redeemed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
blu said:
That's like 80% of car's price tag spent for tires ; )

I can't care. I do the events for the EXP as the EXP in A/B-spec normally is POOR after level 15.

And the softs are totally worth it to have a hybrid car go through corners at 80/hold the hammer down. Honestly, the i-MiRV is the only non-shitty hybrid in the game, IMO (can't tell you about the engine sound).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TheSeks said:
I can't care. I do the events for the EXP as the EXP in A/B-spec normally is POOR after level 15.

And the softs are totally worth it to have a hybrid car go through corners at 80/hold the hammer down. Honestly, the i-MiRV is the only non-shitty hybrid in the game, IMO (can't tell you about the engine sound).
Engine sound of the Mirv is, erm, unique. I remember sighing with relief after the race was over, just enjoying the silence ; )

Hanmik

UFRA said:
Are you guys talking about a new seasonal event?

Is bonus race #4 out now?

yes and they are VERY easy.. I think it is impossible to lose the first race.. was in first place after the second lap. And all I did was change tires.. same with the second race.. changed tires and fitted Air Filter.. first after 2 laps.. the rest are also easy..

easy money if yo ask me.. and I´m a really bad driver in GT5... just a shame I had to use some of my winning money to buy some cars.. was hoping to go over 5 million credits, so that I could buy the Mazda 787B.. but no.. ended up with 4.6 million credits on my bankroll..

UFRA

Hanmik said:
yes and they are VERY easy.. I think it is impossible to lose the first race.. was in first place after the second lap. And all I did was change tires.. same with the second race.. changed tires and fitted Air Filter.. first after 2 laps.. the rest are also easy..

easy money if yo ask me.. and I´m a really bad driver in GT5... just a shame I had to use some of my winning money to buy some cars.. was hoping to go over 5 million credits, so that I could buy the Mazda 787B.. but no.. ended up with 4.6 million credits on my bankroll..

Nice. :D

Looks like I know what I'll be working on tomorrow. I loved Bonus Race #3. That was some easy stuff, and the rewards were better than ever.

UFRA said:
Are you guys talking about a new seasonal event?

Is bonus race #4 out now?

Yep, came out yesterday.

Speaking of which, I golded them easily yesterday. Even without tuning they are not really challenging like the first lot were, but I can only guess lots of people struggled with them.

The final Super-GT is good as everyones car is basically matched, but it was still easy enough. Still, can't complain too much, its great that we are getting 10 new events a month to play (for free with no patches or PSN store downloads) :)

UFRA

KennyLinder said:
Yep, came out yesterday.

Speaking of which, I golded them easily yesterday. Even without tuning they are not really challenging like the first lot were, but I can only guess lots of people struggled with them.

The final Super-GT is good as everyones car is basically matched, but it was still easy enough. Still, can't complain too much, its great that we are getting 10 new events a month to play (for free with no patches or PSN store downloads) :)

So true!

I'm really impressed by that. Not sure if this is going to be common practice or if it's just a special introductory thing to flood us with new events.

I really hope that we consistantly get this kind of new content. The fact that these bonus races exist makes me totally relax when it comes to gaining money and leveling up. They can put the prize money for A/B spec events back to "normal" if they want and I wouldn't care. The rate these events are coming we can easily get most of our needs satisfied.

Hanmik

KennyLinder said:
Yep, came out yesterday.

YES ... that decision is so cool.. I love the Seasonals.. some of them are a nice challenge (Nascar on th ring) others are just a good reason for buying a particular car and trying them out. I would never had bought that Electric Mitsubishi if it hadn´t been for the challenges.. And I finally got to buy a Super-GT car. And I needed it for the expert race anyway..!

Now I just need 2 "small" features, then I can enjoy some of the game-parts that I will not play before they include the features..
- Save during endurance races..
- B-spec Fast forward or GT anywhere..

blu

Another thumb-up for the seasonals. If it wasn't for them I'd have never had half of the really nice cars in my garage right now *pats fresh-paint-smelling 787B* Also, last Bonus Race (#4) offered the most joyful and relaxing races I've had in GT5 yet - both the Nordschleife one with the Golf5 and the SuperGT one at the HSR were just the right mixture of relaxation and fun. I felt like one of those 'professional drivers on a closed circuit' from the flashy car TV ads : )

Hanmik

blu said:
Another thumb-up for the seasonals. If it wasn't for them I'd have never had half of the really nice cars in my garage right now *pats fresh-paint-smelling 787B* Also, last Bonus Race (#4) offered the most joyful and relaxing races I've had in GT5 yet - both the Nordschleife one with the Golf5 and the SuperGT one at the HSR were just the right mixture of relaxation and fun. I felt like one of those 'professional drivers on a closed circuit' from the flashy car TV ads : )

yes my feeling exactly.. the golf one on the Ring was really fun, Loved how the Golf handled the course.. and the Super-GT race made me feel badass..

brentech

MiniBossBattle said:
A simple solution is to have the driver/drivers not be available for said 24 hours. You run the higher risk of them losing but at least that would prevent having your PS3 on for 24 hours. To make it more elaborate, you could have a "check status" under the drivers to tweak your coaching.
The only loophole there is that the processing is no longer done on your own PS3 and it has to be pushed somewhere.....
Probably easier to just implement fast forward than run a shit load of servers

G Rom

Got gold on the fucking Formula GT Championship yesterday !!!!
I didn't think it was possible but there is actually a worse championship than the GT All Stars one !

Let me tell you my tale :

After trying two or three times, I decided to turn skid recovery on and TCS on 1.

First race, Fuji. Terrible start but eventually manage to get back in first place with some spin out in the middle. Here comes the last last, I'm well ahead. Here comes the last corner, I go a little too wide, one wheel in grass and out of nowhere I spin out (with skid recovery and TCS, WTF) and the car takes like forever to restart. Basically I was robbed from my win and ended up 8th...

Second race, Indianapolis Infield. Same terrible start with a lot of spin out but thanks to the my tuning, I come first in this one.

Third race, fucking Côte d'Azur. Even though my car has like maximum downforce, great acceleration, it steers like a tank. Of course the AIs don't have this problem and are flying on their rail. After being spun out by other cars, crashing into walls many times, I still end up 2nd with my last overtaking of the race being in La Rascasse.

Fourth race, Nurbürgring GP. After Côte d'Azur, I don't give a shit about trying to play it fair, I will win this fucking championship ! Same as always, terrible start, spin out, terrible collisions and physics put me in last position with something like 40 seconds between me and the leader. I then accidentally find out that you can cut the whole chicane, I decide to exploit that cheat. Thanks to that and the AIs crashing at the chicane each lap (WTF ?!), I managed to get back in 2nd position with like 20 seconds between me and the first. Despite all my efforts, and only got up to 0.5s behind him when all was said and done. :(

Fifth race, Monza : see Fuji race. The same thing happened but instead of finishing 8th, I finished 11th... :-/

Sixth race, Suzuka with rain. At this point, I'm tied second in the championship with 30 points less than Horrero which means that I have to be first and Horrero has to be third maximum. As always terrible start, especially with the rain. At first I saw this race as a troll from the game but it turned out to be a blessing because I was flying while the AIs were struggling. Thanks to my strategy (going with intermediate from the start while the AIs had to pit), I gained first place quiet easily after the first lap mess up. My main problem was that Horrero was second so I did what every GT racer in their right mind would have done in this situation, I waited the AI train and spun out Horrero. In the end, he finished 10th and T. Gibson finished 2nd. All was good.

I don't think I'll ever touch this championship again, I'm done with it ! Seriously it's Gran Turismo 5 at its worst !

But wait, there's more, there's the lvl 21 car ticket lottery and guess what I got ????
The fucking NASCAR of K. Bush ! fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thanks to the Formula GT championship and the Seasonal Event #4, I got up to level 30 finally so for the past two days I have been trying to get bronze on the Nurbürgring X1 event. I managed this ten minutes ago :

5354860192_deb2e5f3cb.jpg

ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

PS : Sorry for the wall of text. I think that every man who manage to get gold in the Formula GT championship will feel the need to do the same. :-D

Finished the seasonals, now I am lvl 29 and got 10mil of moolah. Bring on the next batch!

Also, what is wrong with the sounds of that Mitsu miEV? Good grief

G Rom said:
PS : Sorry for the wall of text. I think that every man who manage to get gold in the Formula GT championship will feel the need to do the same. :-D
It's the only non endurance event I have left... and I really don't think I'm going to bother.

Dead Man

G Rom said:
No need for apologies, I tried one race of the FGT series and decided I woudl never do it, so you are a tougher person than me! :)

TheSeks

That Dodge Challenge '08 event...

*MichealWesten.jpg*

Last turn of fourth, overtake the first and had a few close calls on corners in the last lap but knocked it out first try. Soft Tires and a small engine boost helped. Muscle cars can't do corners, though. :(

mclaren777

Even though I don't like Skylines in real life, I've always been fond of the Nismo GT-R LM in the GT games. Unfortunately, I still haven't managed to find one in GT5 yet. Have you guys seen one?

IDZA9.jpg

cilonen

mclaren777 said:
Even though I don't like Skylines in real life, I've always been fond of the Nismo GT-R LM in the GT games. Unfortunately, I still haven't managed to find one in GT5 yet. Have you guys seen one?

IDZA9.jpg

Yep, it's in there as a standard car from the used dealership, it's come up once for me, fortunately I had the credits to buy it when I saw it, I forget how much for though.

TheSeks

Holy god, the SuperGT cars are expensive just to do one-three events with. :/

blu

TheSeks said:
Holy god, the SuperGT cars are expensive just to do one-three events with. :/
Erm, wait till you get to the LMP babies. Half a mill for an engine overhaul, and another half for body rigidity restoration. That said, the All Stars championship is my favorite event in the game, by far.

Speaking of All Stars, my respect for Mazda just skyrocketed. Why did FIA have to bad rotary engines?! The 787B is a freakin beast. Coming from SuperGT, those feel like gokarts in comparison. Heck, I had to turn on traction control (to 1) for the event, to stop producing myriads of spectacular (short) replays, and start finishing more often ; ) Eventually got the hang of it, and 4-golded-1-silvered All Stars. But in each and every race where there was another 787B in the pack, it would be a one-on-one battle for the entire race. Such an amazing racer, that 787B.. *tips hat*

blu said:
Erm, wait till you get to the LMP babies. Half a mill for an engine overhaul, and another half for body rigidity restoration. That said, the All Stars championship is my favorite event in the game, by far.

Speaking of All Stars, my respect for Mazda just skyrocketed. Why did FIA have to bad rotary engines?! The 787B is a freakin beast. Coming from SuperGT, those feel like gokarts in comparison. Heck, I had to turn on traction control (to 1) for the event, to stop producing myriads of spectacular (short) replays, and start finishing more often ; ) Eventually got the hang of it, and 4-golded-1-silvered All Stars. But in each and every race where there was another 787B in the pack, it would be a one-on-one battle for the entire race. Such an amazing racer, that 787B.. *tips hat*

After the 787B finished its first Le Mans 24hr race, the engineers took the car apart and said the engine could of easily gone and done another 24hrs! Amazing. I hope they bring the Furai to Le Mans one day..

blu

KennyLinder said:
After the 787B finished its first Le Mans 24hr race, the engineers took the car apart and said the engine could of easily gone and done another 24hrs! Amazing. I hope they bring the Furai to Le Mans one day..
Amazing tidbit indeed! Due to my newly found admiration for the Mazda LMPs I'm grinding now for the Furai from the online dealership. Had the money after All Stars, but taking care of the 787 restoration left me with pebbles. Still, I don't regret it one bit - car absolutely deserves it.

Quake1028

I suck at the game and thanks to the tunes posted earlier in the thread, I crushed Formula GT. I even had enough cushion to skip the last race.

-Amon-

mclaren777 said:

IDZA9.jpg

I remember well the white one with white rims from Gt1, one of my favs to drive at the time.

Haven't seen any till now.

UFRA

blu said:
Amazing tidbit indeed! Due to my newly found admiration for the Mazda LMPs I'm grinding now for the Furai from the online dealership. Had the money after All Stars, but taking care of the 787 restoration left me with pebbles. Still, I don't regret it one bit - car absolutely deserves it.

Except it's a Group C car not an LMP. :p

blu said:

I won a Mazda Furai really early in the game. I think it was B-Spec..

blu

UFRA said:
Except it's a Group C car not an LMP. :p
Yeah, I was aware of that somewhere in the back of my head, but still mislabeled it : )

KennyLinder said:
Do the Engine and Chassis restores make much of a difference?
Engine - most definitely. Power/torque drops with wear. Body - that one take much longer to show, but from my memories of GT4, yes, car handling does deteriorate if rigidity is left unchecked for long. I don't think I've driven a car in GT5 for such long, though.

KennyLinder said:
Do the Engine and Chassis restores make much of a difference?
I have never, ever, used any of them, and some of my cars have done tens of thousands of miles.

I swear it's more psychological than anything. ;)

Hmm I do wish Porsche could be signed up with GT. I would love to have both a 911 GT1 (Road and Le Mans, of course) and a Carrera GT in my garage :)

AndyD said:
I think I already have you on there.
Nope, don't have you there. Add TG-NRPC instead, I sent the car there cause my FL is full.

I have these duplicate cars that I wanna get rid off:
8ESK2.jpg

APEX MR-S 00' - Sent to Toxa
V16T 94' - Going to AndyD

If you want them let me know, if you got something to exchange them for good, if not I don't care.

Also, who wants to trade museum cards? I made a list of the duplicated ones I have:

Audi:
No. 036 x 2
No. 070
No. 072

BMW:
No. 030

CITROEN:
No. 001
No. 050
No. 095
No. 096
No. 103
No. 106
No. 125
No. 181
No. 202
No. 246

FORD:
No. 031
No. 035
No. 151
No. 181
No. 236
No. 253

MERCEDES BENZ:
No. 049
No. 088
No. 143

MITSUBISHI:
No. 043

NISSAN:
No. 005
No. 034

RENAULT:
No. 035
No. 064

TOYOTA:
No. 031
No. 046
No. 095

If you're interested just let me know what duplicates you have.

blu

Psychotext said:
I have never, ever, used any of them, and some of my cars have done tens of thousands of miles.

I swear it's more psychological than anything. ;)
Re body rigidity - that did show up with time in GT4, but (a) it took really long to start showing (unless you really slammed the car into every barrier on the road), and (b) it was very gradual. One way to tell a car's handling has started to deteriorate due to less-than-perfect chassis condition, is to take the car (that you're very familiar with), to a track you're very familiar with, and aim for best lap times. If you're unable to hit your old top lap times, then chances are the car's body needs restoration. Under very extreme deterioration, in GT4 you could even get notable drift when driving straight at speed.

I guess they carried this over to GT5, but again, I've not driven a GT5 car that much to be able to tell yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Metalmurphy said:
Nope, don't have you there. Add TG-NRPC instead, I sent the car there cause my FL is full.

I used to have you on there. I added TG last night instead. I looked through my cards, but I dont remember what I had.

blu said:
If you're unable to hit your old top lap times, then chances are the car's body needs restoration. Under very extreme deterioration, in GT4 you could even get notable drift when driving straight at speed.

I guess they carried this over to GT5, but again, I've not driven a GT5 car that much to be able to tell yet.
I've been using my bspec drivers to test (they put in far more reliable lap times than me) but so far I haven't noticed anything.

jey_16 said:
What are these car ticket lotteries I see people talking about? I'm on level 25 and I have never seen it......

You get a Ticket 1000 for entering 100 events or something. The car can be ANY in the game, so lots of players get the shaft!

mclaren777 said:
How exactly did that happen? $36k tires, bad suspension setup, poor driving, or something else?

racing soft, standard suspension, going into the curve w/o breaking and then steering hardly to keep in the curve, trying to drift it (well, I did drift it, just on two wheels :p )
And to flip the car just turn the wheel all the way. From all the cars I drove so far, it only happened with this one (and even unintentionally).
I guess the car has a high placed center of gravity, so these kind of g-forces tip it over very easily. I don't know if this is realistic for that car (hard to imagine), so PD is kinda trolling it with that + engine sound ^^

Top Bottom