• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech

Hadn't touched a lot of the special events since first doing them. Went back and golded the Elise TopGear challenge. Seems a whole lot easier, but might just be because I've spent a lot more time driving.
Wasn't "easy", but after some learning with those tires, I got it down. Felt good.

avaya

Did a lot of boring stuff today

Finished GT Rally special events, and Indy 500 in the X1. Still saving AMG academy as a break between the endurance runs I'm about to start on.

Finally got 1st in Grand Valley B-Spec NASCAR. Here's a run down of what I did.

Lap 1 -> end of Lap 7
"Pace Down Mother fucker"
8th position...

Lap 8
Overtake
Overtake
Overtake
Overtake
Overtake
Overtake
Overtake 1st bitches "Pace doooooown!!!!!!"

Had a couple of slips but nothing major, won by 3 seconds. INSANE.

Onto American Series, then go back to Touring Car before hopefully having Dreamcar Open. Is the Lexus IS-F Concept Racing good for B-Spec Touring Car? It worked well in A-Spec...

Speaking of which, A-Spec is done now except the 4hr + Endurance Races. All Specials done too, but will open X1 challenge soon, nearly lv.30. The Seasonals need to be 20 events twice a month, not 5! :)

Three Season Events completed with gold and leveled up from 22 to 24. The no restriction events are a joke. A-Spec has gone through a complete devaluation. B-Spec also loses any sense of reward whatsoever.

Also destroyed the American Challenge in Extreme with ZR-1 RM. Can I use it for the Dream Car event? That Jag scares me.

Lagspike_exe said:
Three Season Events completed with gold and leveled up from 22 to 24. The no restriction events are a joke. A-Spec has gone through a complete devaluation. B-Spec also loses any sense of reward whatsoever.

Also destroyed the American Challenge in Extreme with ZR-1 RM. Can I use it for the Dream Car event? That Jag scares me.

I found the ZR-1 RM not to have quite enough punch for A-Spec Dreamcar, which is a bit lol as the car runs at 905bhp. I guess weight is against it. I used the Toyota Minolta for that event. Be careful with tyre choices if its looking like rain. Light drizzle = Intermediate, Down Pour = Wet. Sorry if you knew that, but I got it wrong (thought it was rain, turned out it was "light rain". I lost the last race of the Championship because of that)

G Rom

Well, while I was at my brother's place, I tried the X1 events with his wheel and guess what ?
I got the bronze in each of them rather easily.

The precision and speed in steering that you get with the wheel can't even begin to be matched with the DualShock 3 on those events. The chicane are where the difference is the most noticeable (beside the long curves, smoother with the wheel). With the DS3 I was struggling to get the chicanes right because of the lag but with the wheel I nailed them almost every time because the virtual wheel closely matched my movement with the real wheel... :-/

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sorry if its been asked before but whats the best car for Seasonal Event 4 Bonus Race 5 (JGTC / Super GT / High Speed Ring).

The entry list of cars is quite large and I don't want to buy a dud.

UFRA

navanman said:
Sorry if its been asked before but whats the best car for Seasonal Event 4 Bonus Race 5 (JGTC / Super GT / High Speed Ring).

Any of the GT-R's are very good and stable cars.

navanman said:

I rec'd the Takata Dome NSX on one of my tickets and was able to win it with that.

KennyLinder said:
I found the ZR-1 RM not to have quite enough punch for A-Spec Dreamcar, which is a bit lol as the car runs at 905bhp. I guess weight is against it. I used the Toyota Minolta for that event. Be careful with tyre choices if its looking like rain. Light drizzle = Intermediate, Down Pour = Wet. Sorry if you knew that, but I got it wrong (thought it was rain, turned out it was "light rain". I lost the last race of the Championship because of that)

Thanks for the tips, I'm mostly clueless about anything racing-related. :D
I'll try the setup tomorrow.

Update on the NRPC lap times!

January 2011 NPRC
gyW4F.jpg

Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02 [63 BHP]
1BiTb.png

dQ8uk.png

2Invu.png
lKuQ7.png

8z5K6.png
5HI2i.png

EmB2l.png
WlTh9.png

L9TAh.png
5ThpI.png

(click lap times to download the replay file)

Also, a recent change to the rules, to see if we can get more people interested in this:

- Are there prizes?
Yes! Yes there are!
At the end of the month, the NeoGAFer with the fastest time, as well as a randomly selected participant, will be allowed to choose ANY purchasable premium car, as well as a limited list of standard cars (I don't have them all yet :p), to receive as a prize.
Craving for that F1 car? Here's your chance to get it!​

Find out how to participate over at the official thread:
NeoGAFer in a Reasonably Priced Car OT

Does anyone think the reason why the number of premium cars being so low was for the sole reason of making more money off downloadable content later on down the road? I mean- I'm sure they will update some of the current standard cars for free- but there is going to be some sort of pack later on that will add 50-100+ cars. I am all down for that but only as long as they include the Mclaren F1 LM! I am saddened to only see the original Mclaren 94 but not the awesome Mclaren F1 LM papaya orange color scheme. Imagine if they went the extra mile and added this awesome color scheme which is only on 2 of the 5 cars that were ever produced:

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/bruneilm6ec.png/

Either way- there just seems to be some obvious misses (I'm thinking the Lambo Reventon, Ferrari F50, and Mclaren F1 LM (come on PGR 3/4 had it) )

Anyways- enough of my wishlist-ish ranting- I just really hope they release some downloadable premium cars to add to the list. It would be stuff they could use for Gran Turismo 6 anyways.

jey_16

Banned
How does this make sense....I complete all the licenses, majority of the special events and the bulk of the races upto the set of events before extreme which gets me to around level 16 or 17 and then only do the seasonals which takes me to level 25.

Yet now, you can do the seasonal events from the beginning and you shoot up to level 24 without even doing anything else

Am I missing something here? It just seems off....

-viper-

Banned
atomiswave said:
Does anyone think the reason why the number of premium cars being so low was for the sole reason of making more money off downloadable content later on down the road? I mean- I'm sure they will update some of the current standard cars for free- but there is going to be some sort of pack later on that will add 50-100+ cars. I am all down for that but only as long as they include the Mclaren F1 LM! I am saddened to only see the original Mclaren 94 but not the awesome Mclaren F1 LM papaya orange color scheme. Imagine if they went the extra mile and added this awesome color scheme which is only on 2 of the 5 cars that were ever produced:

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/bruneilm6ec.png/

Either way- there just seems to be some obvious misses (I'm thinking the Lambo Reventon, Ferrari F50, and Mclaren F1 LM (come on PGR 3/4 had it) )

Anyways- enough of my wishlist-ish ranting- I just really hope they release some downloadable premium cars to add to the list. It would be stuff they could use for Gran Turismo 6 anyways.
You can 'convert' the F1 '94 to an F1 LM. Just go to the GT Auto shop and buy the aero kits.

jey_16 said:
How does this make sense....I complete all the licenses, majority of the special events and the bulk of the races upto the set of events before extreme which gets me to around level 16 or 17 and then only do the seasonals which takes me to level 25.

Yet now, you can do the seasonal events from the beginning and you shoot up to level 24 without even doing anything else

Am I missing something here? It just seems off....

Special Events and especially Seasonal Events give you a ton of XP. That's why you don't get anymore XP from them once you earn gold in a race.

brentech

Torturing myself with Suzuka 1000km enduro Aspec. Decided to just take the X1 out and lap the pack to oblivion. Still, only lap 42 of 172 atm.

I'm only a level 7 A-spec driver. Put a good number of hours in the career mode, licenses, special events, and online. When do I hit the grind wall on A-spec? I'm really enjoying the progression so far.

Melfice7

marathonfool said:
I'm only a level 7 A-spec driver. Put a good number of hours in the career mode, licenses, special events, and online. When do I hit the grind wall on A-spec? I'm really enjoying the progression so far.

You wont hit a wall in a-spec with the seasonal events, unless you want the X1 or platinum trophy

marathonfool said:

If you do the seasonal events you'll shoot up to 20+ pretty fast, and after that you might feel the grind.

marathonfool said:
Not for a while. Assuming you've done all the seasonal stuff you'll probably hit it at around level 28 or 29.

W1SSY

I just got the game the other day but in the seasonal events you seem to level up fast. I went from 6 to12 beating only one of the events.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Metalmurphy said:
If you do the seasonal events you'll shoot up to 20+ pretty fast, and after that you might feel the grind.

The worst is doing A spec for a few levels, then doing one seasonal event and shooting up a handful of levels in one race leaving a lot of Aspec races giving you worthless xp and money by comparison.

I haven't done any of the seasonal stuff because the last time I checked all the races had restrictions. Should I be doing the seasonal stuff right away? I don't really care about leveling up fast as I can. I want to just race, buy new cars, open up events, win prizes, and sprinkle in some license tests.

I read through some of the fixing GT5 thread. Honestly the menu isn't that big of a deal to me. There's an initial learn to navigate period, but once you get comfortable, you spend all your time in races. Finish the races then get rewarded with experience, money, prizes, and unlocks. Seems pretty simple to me.

I hope you find the regular special events fun because if you keep doing the seasonal events you won't be able to level much from the majority of the special events.

Almost makes me say that they should make seasonal events raise you a level and not enable you to jump like 6 levels.

This is not for fairness (I dont care), but so people don't run into odd situations.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ssolitare said:
I hope you find the regular special events fun because if you keep doing the seasonal events you won't be able to level much from the majority of the special events.

Almost makes me say that they should make seasonal events raise you a level and not enable you to jump like 6 levels.

This is not for fairness (I dont care), but so people don't run into odd situations.

Right. I have not even finished the most basic series but I am lvl 28 I think. All because of the seasonals, special events and licenses. And I have over 10 million so I can afford just about any car to overpower any of the low end events.

ssolitare said:

Yea, sounds like I should stay out of seasonal events until level 20 or so. Good to know. This game is a slow burner for me. I expect to play it for the next year or so.

AndyD

aka andydumi
marathonfool said:
Yea, sounds like I should stay out of seasonal events until level 20 or so. Good to know. This game is a slow burner for me. I expect to play it for the next year or so.

Seasonals are only available for 2 weeks each, so you may as well do them as they come and go. They are quite fun as they are pretty good pairings of car/track.

So I'm at lvl 28.5 right now and the grind kicks in heavily...I just want to try those X2010 challenges with my wheel damnit ! Because my gaming sessions are short the endurance races are not really an option, so I'm stuck at grinding the dream car indy challenge with my ZR1 or MINOLTA and it takes forever.....

any tips for faster grinding or is this the (slow) way to go for me? I got most of the xp from the seasonals and special events already :-(

I can't wait to put my teeth in B(ore) Spec.... :-D

brentech

Paused and took a break to get some stuff down outside of the house....but 40 more laps left of Suzuka 1000km. My ass hurts from sitting, lol -- need a better race seat, right now it's a kitchen chair with a pillow for back support.

-viper- said:
You can 'convert' the F1 '94 to an F1 LM. Just go to the GT Auto shop and buy the aero kits.

Well yeah- but thats technically not the authentic feeling I'm looking for...but yeah I have already done that and it feels pretty good driving the next best thing. Here is hoping the Mclaren F1 LM makes for DLC or even Gran Turismo 6!! Its unfair how they have over 40 skylines but then they overlook a car that only had like 5-7 iterations (and thats including the racing versions!).

I'm thinking they did it on purpose though- because if they released all the cars we wanted on the first round- then there wouldn't be a lot of money to be made off of DLC or GT6 would there?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So I finally got fed up with waiting for the Toyota7 to reappear in the used cars lot, and took a Countach to the Historic Cup event. Damn, that was one heck of a tricky event, given I did not bother to wait for the "ideal conditions" i.e. no killer opponent in front of me on the grid, restarting if not having passed this or this or that opponent by lap N, etc. But the Countach seems like the ideal car to take on those beasts - it was designed to "cheat" on the Deep Forest by power-cornering and using its cunning oversteer (which I initially tried to eliminate - how stupid I was!)

Shaneus

blu said:
So I finally got fed up with waiting for the Toyota7 to reappear in the used cars lot, and took a Countach to the Historic Cup event. Damn, that was one heck of a tricky event, given I did not bother to wait for the "ideal conditions" i.e. no killer opponent in front of me on the grid, restarting if not having passed this or this or that opponent by lap N, etc. But the Countach seems like the ideal car to take on those beasts - it was designed to "cheat" on the Deep Forest by power-cornering and using its cunning oversteer (which I initially tried to eliminate - how stupid I was!)
There's a particular championship where you win the Toyota-7... I remember just skipping over the historic race and going back to it once I'd won that car. Bit late now, but should serve as handy info for other folk :)

Anyone wanting a Chapparal 2J for the Historic Cup race can have one. PSN name is in my profile.
Even your Bspec driver can win easily with it, it has the acceleration and wicked stability through those sharp corners.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
theignoramus said:
Anyone wanting a Chapparal 2J for the Historic Cup race can have one. Even your Bspec driver can win easily with it, it has the acceleration and wicked stability through those sharp corners.

Uh... um... rephrase your sentence, please. I'd like a Chapparal, but it's used car lot only I thought?

Also B-spec drivers are so dumb fo' real.

Won the Historic Supercar or whatever in Amateur with the Challenger I tuned for the bonus race back in the past few weeks. B-spec? 2nd place and that's after letting the second place/more powered dude overtake him instead of playing dirty and cockblocking his advances. Challenger has more than enough power to keep him behind you provided you block his line, B-spec dude! Ugh.

Tailzo

So I got YLOD, GT5 is stuck inside my ps3, as well as my gamesave. I am afraid to void the warranty, so I didn't use th hair dryer trick.

My question; If I get GT5 again, would anyone of you be so kind and lend me a super awesome car to help me get back to where I was as fast as possible? The best car I had was a fully boosted Zonda 09. It was so awesome:(

TheSeks said:
Uh... um... rephrase your sentence, please. I'd like a Chapparal, but it's used car lot only I thought?

Also B-spec drivers are so dumb fo' real.

Won the Historic Supercar or whatever in Amateur with the Challenger I tuned for the bonus race back in the past few weeks. B-spec? 2nd place and that's after letting the second place/more powered dude overtake him instead of playing dirty and cockblocking his advances. Challenger has more than enough power to keep him behind you provided you block his line, B-spec dude! Ugh.
No, I mean if you want a Chapparal, I'll gift one.

plainr_

Man I need to get rid of this CFW so I can go back on PSN and complete my hot lap for NRPC. Haven't had time for GT5 since the emulators came out. :(

Top Bottom