• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Shaneus

I go to look at the latest news about some online thingo, news item tries to load up, blank screen, cursor's blinking but I can't move the fucking thing. AT ALL.

Uuugh.

Update: I've figured it out... B-Spec Bob is based on Vettel. Can never, ever overtake for shit but if he manages to, he'll pull ahead without any problems whatsoever.

-viper-

Banned
Goldrusher said:
I went for the 10 million trophy first.
Then borrowed a friend's F1.
Have 12 million now.
What races did you grind? I'm on 3.3m at the moment but it took me forever to get here.

Leunam

Shaneus said:
Update: I've figured it out... B-Spec Bob is based on Vettel. Can never, ever overtake for shit but if he manages to, he'll pull ahead without any problems whatsoever.

0Yjlz.gif

dwebo

-viper- said:
how on earth did you get 12 million without grinding D:
He's grinding for xp and just happening to get some credits along the way :lol

Though if you plan out prize rewards and don't tune much, you could probably amass that much normally. Special events, especially later tiers, pay tons.

Shaneus

How is it that my B-Spec driver struggles (well, finds it impossible) to overtake without my direction when first place is a stock 207 GTi and he's in a 480bhp Mitsubishi GTO? :lol

Seriously, I don't know what the point of B-Spec is when the only way you can win isn't to have a skillful driver but to just put the highest powered car possible in the race according to the restrictions. Don't know what I'll do when attempting anything other than the Clubman Cup :lol

torontoml

I'm going to be going home for two weeks, for xmas, and probably won't have my wheel. Will B-spec be able to keep me satisfied over this time? Also is B-spec the same races as A-spec?

expy

Banned
torontoml said:
I'm going to be going home for two weeks, for xmas, and probably won't have my wheel. Will B-spec be able to keep me satisfied frustrated and annoyed over this time? Also is B-spec the same races as A-spec?
Yup!

Formula GT is in the Garage..... You should buy this whenever possible right? I have just the right amount of money if I sell a car for 50cr.

Tried "Like the Wind" with my Mazda Furai and it was not good, it simply does not have nearly enough power to keep up with the Le Mans cars on the outside of Daytona. Not sure what else to use right now and I don't want to tune the Furai with non-removable parts. I am actually in a pickle really, all the events now require Le Mans type cars and I don't have enough money for that. I am Lv 22 at the moment and 23 looks like a long way off so can't grind Indy just yet.

Hopefully a touring car will turn up soon in the Used Dealer, until then its race lots to get enough for a Le Mans car, then *something* for the Historic cup. Where do you win that Lexus which can be used in the Touring Car event?

Going to do some B-Spec now, I am 1 level from being able to do the Professional Championship, which wins me a Zonda I think. Maybe that would be good against the Le Mans cars in Like the Wind? Anyone?

Toxa

offshore said:
<3 TOCA. Was playing TOCA for PS1 the other night, and even that has better AI than GT5. Better sound effects when cars collide as well.

Talking of TOCA, I wonder if PD could ever get the BTCC licence at some point. Also, Brands Hatch and Donington I'd love to see in a GT game in the future.

Truxton, snetterton, croft, knockhill and SILVERSTONE ! the first toca (and toca 2) was one of my favorite racing game on ps1 with f1 95, 97 and GT1 :D

I want

btcc98_16.jpg

97_menu_thruxton_w1.jpg

BTW there's some footage of the season 97 of BTCC in the credtis of GT3

Guys, can you explain the Furai tuning?

I bought every single part that I could buy for it (many of them said I couldn't put parts there) and even when I set my transmission for max speed I still cannot compete on Like the Wind.

The car is simply too slow, how do I make it into a beast?

Cold-Steel said:

I bought every single part that I could buy for it (many of them said I couldn't put parts there) and even when I set my transmission for max speed I still cannot compete on Like the Wind.

Don't set your transmission at max for a start... it should only just max out (redline) at the end of each straight), so keep tweaking the top speed until you get that.

More than that though, drafting is everything.

Unrelated, good god the Formula GT tournament is tedious in bspec. Something like 37 laps in the first race, and what, 6 races over all? Flech.

-viper-

Banned
IC-3 is impossible.

Or perhaps I suck massively. I can't even get silver. I'm 0.1 miliseconds off silver. I hated that S corner in the TT demo and I hate it still. It's my bane.

I just don't seem to be good enough to get golds in all licenses. I guess I'll just settle for some silvers. My aim is to get at least 50% gold :p

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Agreed, scarily good. I hope it's PD's priority to make it premium.

Hmm OK maybe I will, I just love it as it is though, its my favourite car in the game so far. It definitely needs the Premium treatment, its too good a car! :)

Cold-Steel said:

You just have to keep trying. I used a maxed out ZR-1 RM and, while I don't know how it compares to a maxed out Furai, it took me over 2 1/2 hours to beat. The key is drafting, taking the corners as fast as possible, and timely blocking. The start is also very important, you can not let any cars get ahead of the main pack, or else it's over. It took about an hour of restarts before I could climb into first at all, another half hour and I could take first winthin the first lap, another hour of leading for 4 and half laps and getting spun out or draft passed on the last corner, finally beat the race by the skin of my fucking balls. Even posted about it.

weekend_warrior said:
OMG... beat that Like the Wind Indy race by .012 seconds. Had 2 guys on each side about to pass and a guy behind nudging my tail. My hands are shaking right now.

brentech

Man, was working on a-spec GT Allstars Cup.
Think I: gold, silver, bronze, bronze the first 4 events and was leading the point listing by 40. Last event I kept checking on the guy that was just behind me in points, he kept moving up in places. Was in second for the first 3 laps and slowly started to buckle under the pressure making mistakes here and there. He ended up passing me on lap 4 and then the shit hit the fan.

I was in 4th place on the straight away no less...and suddenly slip and end up wrecking into the pit lane divider. Car spins a few times and being what I didn't think was a far distance to the finish, I figured I just needed to get my momentum there. Well, I hit reverse as my ass is facing the finish and then realize..wow, this is taking far too long, and 5 cars zip by me leaving my in 9th place for that race.

Got silver for the cup as a whole, but omg was I raging. Pretty much made every mistake I could to stop myself from golding the cup. Probably won't get a chance to play it again until tomorrow I think.

I've been sold a pack of lies. The Minolta, while quick, is more liable to have you fuck the entire race in the last lap than win the fucking thing.

Luckily I just received my Ticket 1000 which gave me a Toyota GT-ONE Race Car :D :D

Niks said:
I have officially joined the all gold license club!
:D

Welcome!

Let not your smugness and superiority prevent you from communicating with the other peasants in this thread. With great power comes great responsibility.

The 'my gold in your face' team wishes you the best in your ascendency.

UFRA

Niks said:
I have officially joined the all gold license club!
:D

Now you need to join the all gold Special Events club.

I just finished the Advanced Rally event and that sealed it for me. All Special Events are now gold. That is..until I unlock the X1 challenges. :p

This game can be so good. I'm Racing on the Nurburgring Nordschleife for the first time in the GT World Championship.

Driving the 458 Italia, I'm out in front by a few seconds, struggling to keep control of the car through the high speed corners as I'm hitting the bumps in the road. London Elektricity starts playing...perfection.

Melfice7

weekend_warrior said:
Just bought a Formula GT. My new steed. Almost level 29 b-spec, so one one level of grinding until I'm ripping up pavement in an X1. :D

I beg of thy lend it to me for a few hours O: i have a gazilion hours into the game and it didnt show up ONCE o_O

Dementia

TTP said:
Was this video posted already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_HJSJLL8_I

Really shows how good the GT5 AI is and debunks bullshit "it ignores the player" statements.
Great, so the AI is usually able to avoid your car if you have parked it in the middle of the track. But I don't think that is very relevant to most people's driving style. It is more important that the AI can recognize your driving line and maneuvers, and not cut you off when you are lapping them for the third time, which it does not do very well.

Error1355

Finally got a gold in that B-Spec Daytona truck race. Took around 7 tries and a lot of messing with my tranny... I was trying just to at least place and I went from getting 11 or 12th place to winning 1st. I hit that magic transmission setting I guess.

Got my level 9 ticket... And I got this.

DB9.png

Woo?

darkwing

btw won the Like the Wind B-Spec with the Mazda 787 which i bought since my A-spec is like 18 (b-spec 27) :lol but any tips on the Historic Cup - Corte de Azul? i already lowered the top speed of the Toyota 7 but can't overtake to save his life >_<

Top Bottom