• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

mrklaw

MrArseFace
darkwing said:
btw won the Like the Wind B-Spec with the Mazda 787 which i bought since my A-spec is like 18 (b-spec 27) :lol but any tips on the Historic Cup - Corte de Azul? i already lowered the top speed of the Toyota 7 but can't overtake to save his life >_<
I found the Toyota ok at default transmission speed. Put on the best tyres allowed in the race. You are pretty much able to overtake most cars off the line and up the hill. The main thing to watch out for is the damn chaparral J. If that gets ahead of you, you might as well restart. You need him to either start behind you, or just barge him out of the way and hope he gets caught up in traffic.

The A.I is very good at fishtailing me and spinning me out of control. I even had some try to fishtail me on straightaways.

Evil bastards.

I also found and bought a Formula GT. It's a dark blue. It's a shame I can't repaint it.

Grayman

I have never bothered to watch the video. There is nothing a video can show that stops the AI from running me off the road in the game.

Wazzim

Banned
Crakatak187 said:
The A.I is very good at fishtailing me and spinning me out of control. I even had some try to fishtail me on straightaways.

Evil bastards.
Yeah I really hope they patch it, I only stopped playing this game non-stop because the AI just makes me so frustrated. They don't even know you're behnd them.

darkwing

mrklaw said:
I found the Toyota ok at default transmission speed. Put on the best tyres allowed in the race. You are pretty much able to overtake most cars off the line and up the hill. The main thing to watch out for is the damn chaparral J. If that gets ahead of you, you might as well restart. You need him to either start behind you, or just barge him out of the way and hope he gets caught up in traffic.

thanks i'll try this one

btw the interior view of the 787 is awesome with the big LCD displays, but why is the windshield wiper just stuck there in the middle <_<

darkwing

-viper- said:
I don't feel like playing this game anymore thanks to the utterly retarded and broken A.I.

It's driving me nuts.

that's why we have weekend online races :D pretty fun, basically the whole week is a practice run for the weekends

Mush

ZpSm0.png

Fill in the blanks, people. ;)

-viper-

Banned
darkwing said:
that's why we have weekend online races :D pretty fun, basically the whole week is a practice run for the weekends
Can't see how that is going to solve some of the basic problems of the game too - crappy collision physics, magnetised front/rear ends etc. :\

darkwing

-viper- said:
Can't see how that is going to solve some of the basic problems of the game too - crappy collision physics, magnetised front/rear ends etc. :\

well that doesn't stop us from having fun, we are on our third race weekend now, in fact in our local gaming forum there isn't much complaint about the game, i guess here we really love cars :D

Mush

Angst said:
Team Ni-San (Car#23) consist of me and Dibbz. Looking forward to the track day later tonight. Good to see you back mush! :D
:lol

I removed the PSN ID's from that screen-cap to retain some privacy. Looks like that plan failed!

It was a reminder for those who haven't picked a team name and stuff.

Angst

Mush said:
:lol

I removed the PSN ID's from that screen-cap to retain some privacy. Looks like that plan failed!

It was a reminder for those who haven't picked a team name and stuff.
haha I thought that's what you wanted with the "fill in the blanks" :lol

I edited my original post and removed our PSN IDs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
KennyLinder said:
Are all of the Super GT cars the same spec? I feel like treating myself to one of the awesome looking Nissan GT-R based ones.
I think so, although The denso impreza seems down on power compared to the others? I bought the xanavi gtr, my son has that in his scalextric set

h3ro

mrklaw said:
I think so, although The denso impreza seems down on power compared to the others? I bought the xanavi gtr, my son has that in his scalextric set

Cusco Impreza?

The Cusco, REAmeymiya RX7 and Gariaya are GT300 spec JGTC cars. JGTC ran with a split field of GT500 (the GT-Rs, Lexus SC430s, NSXs etc) and the lower powered GT300 ones.

Welcome back Mush.

-viper-

Banned
My newly made level 0 B-Spec driver is superior to my Level 17 B-Spec driver.

His name is M(ister) Anderson.

He is the one.

:O

(In the Gallardo race, he got first without any instructions within 30 seconds of the race. My lvl 17 driver, E. Polo, takes 4 laps to attain first place).

edit: It's lap five and his mental strength is diminishing rapidly. His physical strength is practically at zero. The fuck?

edit 2: Does the lack of mental and physical strength make any difference? My driver is still first and has practically won the race.

My guys lost their first endurance race last night. I'm not sure what they were doing, but when I woke up they were 14 laps behind... even though they were lapping somewhere in the order of ten seconds a lap quicker. =/

*yawn* Shit, man. I'm tired. Logged off kind of late last night trying to gold all the advanced rally events (which I did) with Loeb's car.

Nevertheless, I'm up and running again since I finally reached Lv 21 in A Spec and I want to do Like the Wind. Wish me luck.

Apex

-viper- said:
On the wheel, PD require you to hold triangle to reverse. and rotate the wheel simultaneously.

The least I would have expected is triangle activates the R gear. :\
For DFP/GT change the controller to the same wheel input(1) and map the button that you like more for reverse then rotate the wheel freely while pushing the button with your other hand. Try it, much faster.

offshore

SteelAttack said:
*yawn* Shit, man. I'm tired. Logged off kind of late last night trying to gold all the advanced rally events (which I did) with Loeb's car.
Yeah, I don't know what it is about PD and their rally times, but they always make the gold times too easy. I recall this going on as far back as GT2. First two attempts on Chamonix and Toscana I (like most I think) got gold. On Toscana I was something like six seconds under the gold time :\ Eiger took a little longer because I kept crashing at the bottom of the hill. Though I was still three sceonds under once I did it.

But then on the flip side, there's the AMG Academy times. Holy shit, I don't think I'll ever get gold in them :lol Drove my absolute heart out and I still barely manage to get silver.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
h3ro said:
Cusco Impreza?

The Cusco, REAmeymiya RX7 and Gariaya are GT300 spec JGTC cars. JGTC ran with a split field of GT500 (the GT-Rs, Lexus SC430s, NSXs etc) and the lower powered GT300 ones.

Welcome back Mush.
Cusco, that's the one. Thanks for the info. Shame, as i'm tempted to buy the impreza, but it'd get owned in the super GT races. Will put it on my wish list to buy for fun later.

Unlocked level 32. Thinking the minolta is probably better suited to the nurburgring than the formula GT?

Shaneus

Just quietly (well, loudly actually), could the B-Spec AI be programmed even worse? Sure, I understand the theory in trying to program the AI for someone with zero race day experience, but majority of the decisions by the guy that aren't made by the human are absolute bullshit. The final corner of a 10-lap race being overshot, waiting for every. other. car to pass, the not-quite-a-car-length ahead yield done on corners... ugh.

I don't know whether it's because Y. Yamauchi is only a level 9 driver, but the fact that I have to put him in a car that's 200bhp ahead of his nearest rival to even have a shot at winning without intervention speaks a metric fuckload about the faux-intelligence used in 50% of the game.

Which brings me to another point... why have half the unlockables of the game reliant on a mode that had been so (relatively) insignificant in previous games? From what I've read (I don't have the largest amount of experience with the other GT games so feel free to call me out) there was nothing to be unlocked other than credits with B-Spec in previous games, yet with this one it's crucial to unlocking cars.

Apologies for the rant, but I'd just spent way too much time today mucking around with B-Spec (especially in races where my guy had a 10 second lead, only to blow it on the last corner by giving way to EVERYONE) to think about any positive game aspects. Today I think I'm going to spend some time with zombie Jeff Gordon. Maybe I could hire him as a B-Spec driver?

Shaneus said:
I don't know whether it's because Y. Yamauchi is only a level 9 driver, but the fact that I have to put him in a car that's 200bhp ahead of his nearest rival to even have a shot at winning without intervention speaks a metric fuckload about the faux-intelligence used in 50% of the game.
I've got a level 35 driver and he's just as retarded. They spin out less, but I personally watched him lose control at the same place in every single lap of the NBR GP circuit, and then watched him wait for everyone he'd managed to pass after the screw up to go past again.

Shaneus

It's really fucking laughable. I'm going to create a drinking game over the end-of-year Australian holidays whereby I have a shot every time my driver does something my 2.5-year-old nephew wouldn't.

I plan on being thoroughly plastered the entire time ;)

Deadman

Psychotext said:
I've got a level 35 driver and he's just as retarded. They spin out less, but I personally watched him lose control at the same place in every single lap of the NBR GP circuit, and then watched him wait for everyone he'd managed to pass after the screw up to go past again.

Was it the chicane at the end of the lap? If so then thats also where my guy spins every single lap :lol

Should B-Spec be this......easy? Granted I'm just starting, but every race I've done has consisted of my driver getting into first in the first lap, and then me not even touching the controller for the rest.

darkwing said:
btw won the Like the Wind B-Spec with the Mazda 787 which i bought since my A-spec is like 18 (b-spec 27) :lol but any tips on the Historic Cup - Corte de Azul? i already lowered the top speed of the Toyota 7 but can't overtake to save his life >_<

The B-spec race can be a pain. As the timer starts counting down you want to be hitting the 'pace up' button. With a maxed Toyota 7 your b-spec driver should be able to overtake 1 or 2 drivers, when the first command wears off (should be about half-way up that straight) hit the 'overtake' button. By the time the s-turns come up you should be in 4th, maybe 5th place. Pace down at this point, and don't pace up for the next long straight. Try to have about a 3/4 pace in that tight chicane. The AI likes to clip the corner here, and backing your driver's pace off a little helps prevent him from doing that. After you're through that, 'pace up' and keep the pace up, theres one more spot before the starting line where your AI might clip a corner and spin, but you can't pace down through this section. The long straight after the start line is generally the only time your driver will pass anyone. You should hopefully be passing 1 driver per lap through this section. Don't worry if the Chaparral J gets what seems like a big lead, I never had a problem catching up to him, the problem is if your AI driver ever decides to fucking pass him. It took about an hour of restarts before the right set of circumstances appeared and I was able to beat the race.

Deadman said:
Was it the chicane at the end of the lap? If so then thats also where my guy spins every single lap :lol
Yup. :lol

Blu_LED said:
Should B-Spec be this......easy? Granted I'm just starting, but every race I've done has consisted of my driver getting into first in the first lap, and then me not even touching the controller for the rest.
Depends on the cars usually... the laughable restrictions make it very easy to flat out overpower most. But some races? Far from easy.

Solal

I guess it's because Yamauchi is a level 2 producer... each and every one of his decisions in terms of gameplay is plain crap.

The guy who designed the menus should be sent to Guantanamo and charged with "game design terrorism".

Such a shame this superb car simulatoir (my god, the driving feeling, the touch is sooooooo great!) is plagued with so many stupid decisions...

I can't remember a game having so many problems, seriously... for a AAAAAAAA game, developped in 5 years, this is really (i mean REALLY) a shame.

The B-spec is a joke.

Wanna know how good/bad the AI is? Just try the Monaco race in B-spec classic cars championship. Just try it... the chicane after the tunnel is a total disaster... makes the race a total mess and made me want to cry.

My feeling about the AI is that not every car on the track has AI. I think some/many have none... when 2 or 3 have one... that explains why AI can be SOOOOO F...... stupid...and sometimes be quite smart.

Anyway: GT5 is still the best racing experience around (imho) and I played about 200 hours already...)

Just looking forward to Yamauchi leaving the series.

CozMick

Banned
Solal said:
I guess it's because Yamauchi is a level 2 producer... each and every one of his decisions in terms of gameplay is plain crap.

Just looking forward to Yamauchi leaving the series.

:lol :lol :lol :lol GTFO

Solal said:
Wanna know how good/bad the AI is? Just try the Monaco race in B-spec classic cars championship. Just try it... the chicane after the tunnel is a total disaster... makes the race a total mess and made me want to cry.
Monaco is fucked in pretty much every b-spec race that features it. Makes me wish for a "OH GOD NO PLEASE DON'T OVERTAKE HERE" button.

How come I can't find a goddamn truck anywhere? Are there any in the dealerships, or do I just have to wait until they randomly pop up in the used dealership?

offshore

Blu_LED said:
How come I can't find a goddamn truck anywhere? Are there any in the dealerships, or do I just have to wait until they randomly pop up in the used dealership?
Get bronze on IA License.

What I don't understand after lvl 11 of B-spec is why are my drivers so much worse than me? I suck at this! If I give any of my drivers the same car I ran away with a race using, they often can't even get 3rd place. The competition is pretty much the same but even my high lvl driver has to be given a maxed out car just to win.

Top Bottom