• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Photo Sharing Thread

Az

distrbnce said:
Are you getting it tomorrow or is your internal clock off a week?

You're either very lucky or about to be disappointed.

A seller on ebay I've bought from before got copies early. I got one and and another GAFFER did too. Seller said Saturday but he's shipping over night from Florida (where I also live)

A.R.K

O.O
WOW at these photos and this is just the beginning...and that stupid award show doesn't have this game in best graphics category is the ultimate bullshit! That show should get 0 viewer ship so it gets cancelled ASAP

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
SolidSnakex said:
That's the first shot that i've seen that shows that they really did model the underside of the car. And it's not just some flat texture as you see in a lot of games, it's actual detail.

That's an old photo, the flat bottoms as shown in videos like the damage one are just because they were race cars that had flat bottoms to reduce drag.

Cigol said:
(some of them you can click for higher resolution)

RyXYhl.jpg

Fuck sakes.

Neiteio

Everyone is so impressed by the two shots of the car in the snow, but... How come none of the snow is getting on the car? It's squeaky clean despite plowing through billowing snow. Sticks out like a sore thumb. o_O

commedieu

Banned
Neiteio said:
Everyone is so impressed by the two shots of the car in the snow, but... How come none of the snow is getting on the car? It's squeaky clean despite plowing through billowing snow. Sticks out like a sore thumb. o_O

Ah i was about to be blown away by the quality, lighting, and surfacing.. But now that you mention it...wait no, its still impressive compared to everything out on the console market.

Livanh

Neiteio said:

ffs in the OT where you moaned about no snow tires (btw those are spikes..different kind) the real car is piss clean.

oh i think i confused you with wax free vanilla...

Funny thing is... cars in GT5 do get dirty, as opposed to almost any other racer out there, and you can see snow build up on the first pic, but hey... people are always gonna bitch about something.

test_account

XP-39C²
About snow getting attached to the car, is that common in rally? I looked through some photos on Google now and from what i can see, the cars have very little snow on them. Here is one example:

http://www.subaru-wallpapers.com/bulkupload/wallpapers/Subaru Impreza/Subaru-WRC-Rally-Snow.jpg

They do afterall drive very fast so the wind will blow off much of the snow. If the car is cold and if it is powder snow and when they drive fast, i doubt that much of this snow will attach itself to the car. The GT5 snow photo seems to be on an Alaska track, so i guess it can be pretty cold there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Metalmurphy said:
Funny thing is... cars in GT5 do get dirty, as opposed to almost any other racer out there, and you can see snow build up on the first pic, but hey... people are always gonna bitch about something.
Huh? How many other racing games do you play outside of the GT series?

Plenty of games released in the last little while have had cars getting dirty in them, it's caught on like in-car view in games. Maybe less sims have cars getting dirty, but then again there aren't many sims out there.

And criticizing lack of snow buildup based upon 2 screens is misguiding. If you see any videos of the Rally stages, the effect of snow/dirt on the cars is very apparent.

test_account said:
About snow getting attached to the car, is that common in rally? I looked through some photos on Google now and from what i can see, the cars have very little snow on them. Here is one example:

http://www.subaru-wallpapers.com/bulkupload/wallpapers/Subaru Impreza/Subaru-WRC-Rally-Snow.jpg

They do afterall drive very fast so the wind will blow off much of the snow. If the car is cold and if it is powder snow and when they drive fast, i doubt that much of this snow will attach itself to the car. The GT5 snow photo seems to be on an Alaska track, so i guess it can be pretty cold there.
The snow casts more of a gradient of snow across the body of the car, and little bits here in there, I guess he was expecting chunks of snow in the grille and stuff. Good video here showing some of the effects of dirt on cars. Looks pretty realistic to me, depending on how you classify a McLaren F1 on a dirt track as realistic :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
enzo_gt said:
The snow casts more of a gradient of snow across the body of the car, and little bits here in there, I guess he was expecting chunks of snow in the grille and stuff. Good video here showing some of the effects of dirt on cars. Looks pretty realistic to me, depending on how you classify a McLaren F1 on a dirt track as realistic :lol
Ok, i see. Ye, maybe chunks of snow can attach itself to the grill sometimes in snow rally, but maybe it doesnt always happend, especially if it is powder snow :) But who knows, maybe more snow effect are present in GT5, but not just on that picture?

Thanks for the link :) I saw that video earlier and i think that the dirt effect on the car looks pretty good indeed. Hehe ye, funny to see a McLaren F1 drive on a rally stage :)

S9Wpj.jpg

dXCQb.jpg

What are people gonna bitch about next?

enzo_gt said:
Huh? How many other racing games do you play outside of the GT series?

Plenty of games released in the last little while have had cars getting dirty in them, it's caught on like in-car view in games. Maybe less sims have cars getting dirty, but then again there aren't many sims out there.
Outside of dedicated rally / offroad games? I can't think of one, although I'm sure there's one of other, but it's certainly not the norm for this type of game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Metalmurphy said:
Outside of dedicated rally / offroad games? I can't think of one, although I'm sure there's one of other, but it's certainly not the norm for this type of game.
PGR3, PGR4, and TOCA 3 (I believe) all had it, but yeah I was wondering how you generalized that based upon the stark resurgence of rally games recently. Otherwise, generally cars "getting dirty" is reserved for games with weather or off-roading, and isn't pictured or needed in games very often.

UFRA

Not to mention, who knows what point in the race those pictures were taken?

In the beginning of a race, a car wouldn't have as much dirt build up as near the end of a race. (obviously)

So to complain about those pics is really stretching it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Metalmurphy said:
http://imgur.com/S9Wpj.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/dXCQb.jpg[/IM]

What are people gonna bitch about next?

Outside of dedicated rally / offroad games? I can't think of one, although I'm sure there's one of other, but it's certainly not the norm for this type of game.[/QUOTE]

the top one is a game?

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:
the top one is a game?

Tyres.

The fact that you are even asking is a testament to the game.

edit: The tyres give it away more than other things in my opinion. Top one is real, Gt5 is the bottom dollor.

i guess caring about the way snow residue remains on the cars during racing is a sign that the game is doing well enough for people not to be worrying about more important things like how the game plays in the snow, etc.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
TheExodu5 said:
There's no way the top one is GT5. The reflection is an order of magnitude more realistic than the shot below it.
GT6...believe.
I honestly think they'll make reality their bitch by the time that game hits.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
The top one is obviously real life. Some of you guys have gone crazy :lol .
And those pictures show that the amount of snow build up in the game is comparable to real life.

matthsv said:
The top one is obviously real life. Some of you guys have gone crazy :lol .
And those pictures show that the amount of snow build up in the game is comparable to real life.

Yeah, what he said.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ken-Block-x-DC-Trax-STI-1.jpg

This or no sale! :lol

I think some people expected snow like this on the car:
MH1CGl.jpg

Whereas real rally cars only get snow as shown in the pictures you guys posted, which is what the game seems to be showing.

I think many people forget the rally cars start off warm and clean and drive on hard packed snow and snow and slush does not stick, unlike our own cars which start off cold and covered in snow and we drive slowly on slushy roads.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hope to see business pick up as more and more copies are out in the wild. And it seems the game is out in France :lol

I cleaned up and refined the track/locations part of the OP. Now we have locales and tracks with added flags up to date with most of the information known.

LiquidMetal14

AndyD said:
Read the rules on sizes. But damn!
I'm not singling out your post to make an example but he did do it right. He linked the full shot with a preview in smaller form. I can't remember the term but the way he did it is fine. Unless it was showing in full size and he edited.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm not singling out your post to make an example but he did do it right. He linked the full shot with a preview in smaller form. I can't remember the term but the way he did it is fine. Unless it was showing in full size and he edited.

This is what happened. He edited within minutes because it was full size at first.

I think a giude on using imgur would help in the OP. If nothing else mention the use of l and s as thumbnail designators.

LiquidMetal14

AndyD said:
This is what happened. He edited within minutes because it was full size at first.

I think a giude on using imgur would help in the OP. If nothing else mention the use of l and s as thumbnail designators.
I added a few more sentences to the rules to clarify things. As long as people resize or link to their pics instead of posting huge walls, then we're all good :)

-viper-

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I added a few more sentences to the rules to clarify things. As long as people resize or link to their pics instead of posting huge walls, then we're all good :)
meh

I'M PREPARED TO SEE WALLS OF PICS.

i never click thumbnails.

what I think the rules should say is that the images should be 720p maximum, but if they want to link to a higher resolution, then so be it.

1080p pics fuck up the dimensions on my screen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:
meh

what I think the rules should say is that the images should be 720p maximum, but if they want to link to a higher resolution, then so be it.

Right. Using l on the imgur makes them a great forum size like the stuff on this page. What we need to avoid at all costs is people posting their 8MP photos, as that's what will come out of GT5. They will slow the whole thing to a crawl and are so big they are beyond anyone's monitor.

LiquidMetal14

-viper- said:
meh

They can be the width of the screen but to a respectable resolution. I don't want to drag a full monitor's width to view a pic.

It requires the reading of the OP. I would hope everyone would do that. You never know though :lol

Top Bottom