• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

No reason at all to believe GT7 for PS4 development will go faster than GT5, is there?

:-(

seriously, where is this coming from? as far as i know, gt5 is the only game out of the six gt games that had major setbacks in development. how is it that a single game's release suddenly became the benchmark of the release dates of the franchise? gt6 came out 3 years after gt5, which is a very reasonable gap.

The PS4 is much easier to program for so even if PD doesn't improve their development process at all it should still go faster.

elohel

I think im gonna pass on GT6 for now. Those jaggies and alising issues are really bugging me out. I just played this game at my friends house and overall the driving experience was fine. I used a Fanatec CSR wheel and i liked it a lot but the sound is horrible! I understand that some of you might be ok with how it sounds, but i am a Forza guy and what i need right now is a game thats gonna buy me away from Turn 10. GT6 was an ok experience for me tho. Im definitely gonna get it down the line but i wish Poly could do something about that stuff.

Man seeks reason to leave current franchise only to be disappointed by anti aliasing

I stand by gt5 and 6 have the best feel for a racing game I've played and that's good enough for me

I really don't understand people's issues with this game it's so much better than 5 on paper and in action

What are you talking about regarding reviews? Forza 5 has almost the exact same reviews as GT6, 81 vs. 80. How does that make GT6 lukewarm versus forza? Forza 5 is also the least well received iteration of the main series by a wide margin. If your personal opinion is that Forza 5 is a giant leap forward, sure you're entitled to it. Just don't try to cite general consensus of reviews to back up your case when they don't.

Wow. Reading and comprehension for the win. I was clearly referring to a SUBSET of the reviews when I used the term lukewarm. I stand by that. I also agree with some of the valid criticisms on forza 5, namely the reduction in content.

Wow. Reading and comprehension for the win. I was clearly referring to a SUBSET of the reviews when I used the term lukewarm. I stand by that. I also agree with some of the valid criticisms on forza 5, namely the reduction in content.

You use lukewarm reviews to back your idea that GT6 is not a step forward but then ignore forza reviews which clearly don't state that 5 is a significant leap forward as you put it. The criticisms of forza 5 are just as many as those of GT6, then why use reviews as proof that one is leaping ahead while the other isn't? While GT6 isn't as large a difference graphically from 5 since it's on the same hardware, there have been many things improved over GT5. Again, criticism of things like the sound are valid, however that doesn't mean it hasn't moved forward.

Eusis

seriously, where is this coming from? as far as i know, gt5 is the only game out of the six gt games that had major setbacks in development. how is it that a single game's release suddenly became the benchmark of the release dates of the franchise? gt6 came out 3 years after gt5, which is a very reasonable gap.
There's also the fact the PS3 was a huge pain to deal with and they clearly wanted to take advantage of the hardware. PS4 being simpler to develop for should innately speed things up.

foogles

Yes. They don't have to build a new engine for starters. Kaz said best case scenario is that it'll be out next year. If not the it'll be 2015.

Maybe Kaz said that they don't have to build a new engine.

But I disagree. They need to start over. I get it if it's going to take five years or whatever, but it's better than more shitty sound, more rolling starts, more braindead AI, more "standard" cars. You can only pile so much crap into the same old station wagon before you realize that at some point, you need to get something new.

Emwitus

But I disagree. They need to start over. I get it if it's going to take five years or whatever, but it's better than more shitty sound, more rolling starts, more braindead AI, more "standard" cars. You can only pile so much crap into the same old station wagon before you realize that at some point, you need to get something new.
Nothing in what you said is a reason for them to start over. Nothing.

Neo 007

Easiest thing for you is perhaps play another car related game.

game is good, has things I wish was better

oh and I've only been playing with my G27, no driving line, only abs set to 1, manual transmission with clutch/shifter

/brag

You use lukewarm reviews to back your idea that GT6 is not a step forward...

The only point I made is that there are valid criticisms of the game. It's not perfect. Some legacy issues remain. In my opinion some of these are important (AI and sound mainly). I'm not saying it is flat out not a step forward, despite your implications. It certainly is in many regards, just not in every facet.

... but then ignore forza reviews which clearly don't state that 5 is a significant leap forward as you put it.

I'm not ignoring forza 5 reviews. The vast majority state that the graphics, physics, and sound are significant steps forward. I agree with this. In my opinion these are very important things that were significantly improved. Now that doesn't change components that are clearly steps back. For example, car/track count, lack of a marketplace, no gifting cars, etc.

The only point I made is that there are valid criticisms of the game. It's not perfect. Some legacy issues remain. In my opinion some of these are important (AI and sound mainly). I'm not saying it is flat out not a step forward, despite your implications. It certainly is in many regards, just not in every facet.

I'm not ignoring forza 5 reviews. The vast majority state that the graphics, physics, and sound are significant steps forward. I agree with this. In my opinion these are very important things that were significantly improved. Now that doesn't change components that are clearly steps back. For example, car/track count, lack of a marketplace, no gifting cars, etc.

From the reviews I've read the AI seems to be improved, sound obviously needs to be worked on. Graphics is simply a product of new hardware, that's hardly a large step forward when comparing the two. To reiterate, I never said there weren't valid criticisms of GT6, I responded to the uneven comparison of saying one is going forward while inferring the other is largely standing still when that's simply not the case.

That review seems off so far:

I sold a car from my garage a minute ago...you can't sell it while you're driving it so I wonder if that's where the mistake came from.

Also

Hell yes. Rewind mechanics are one of the worst "casual" additions to racing games ever.
That was exactly what I was thinking. Why WOULDN'T you be able to sell your car? Other games do it so to exclude such a feature would be unacceptable.

flonty

Amazon.de has some negative reviews for GT6. The biggest complaint from german players is that it feels like GT5 2.0.

Pistolero

If they do that, they'll get crucified. Not a tepid reception, no! A loud smack in the face. And they would be a fair response!
If Yamauchi and his team miss the chance to heavily improve damage and collisions and get rid of standard cars, they'll get crucified by Forza 6. What worries me is the hints Yamauchi drops about the possiblity of seeing GT7 sooner than we all think. It doesn't inspire confidance... It screams more of the same, with a coat of nice visual paint...
I'd rather he works on it till 2016 and give us a real, proper next-gen version.

Calabi

Amazon.de has some negative reviews for GT6. The biggest complaint from german players is that it feels like GT5 2.0.

But GT5 doesnt have the moon?

I think GT7 really will be kicked to death if it doesnt improve in certain areas. The flaws will just become too apparent, especially with competition like Project Cars on the way.

Now I know why it got some bad reviews.

They jinxed it by including Sonic lol:

iMG74gr.jpg

commedieu

Banned
CAR Magazine;

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/S...cial-Pictures/Gran-Turismo-6-2013-CAR-review/

4/5

GT6 is more realistic than ever, but also miles more intuitive (and attractive) to navigate. Its dizzying array of playable content may also see it trump the decidedly smaller Forza Motorsport 5.

There are still flaws – it can feel clinical and unwilling to indulge exuberant driving, like a badly judged traction control nanny in real life – but that doesn’t stop us recommending GT6 if you’re serious about your on-track gaming.

WarMacheen

Reading Gamereactor Sweden (yeah I like to read all of these reviews, lol)...I see this.

"Even if I turn off all aids in Gran Turismo 6 and set down the traction control function to "0", it is often impossible to spin from a standstill with a 662 (horse power?) strong Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500."

Surely that's not true...strange if so. I don't know why he would make that up though.

Edit** Also, now that GT6 is finally here...time to announce one for my Vita PD :p. I'll be so happy if that ever happens.

I came back into this thread to say this is a total fucking lie. I set all of the assits off, took the new Chevy Stingray out on a test drive. Smokes the tires easily. With assists on, yes it's hard to spin from a stop. This reviewer either didn't actually turn off the assists, or is simply full of shit. Even with soft tires it spins. I guess this is just another case of "journalism"

It seems like the new reviews coming in are very positive, Metacritic went up to 81 after 2 more reviews came in and there is still a lot more to come.

The UK reviewers seem to really like the game's handling. which is good news for me. I dont have an Xbone and Project Cars, last I played it, does an appalling job of modelling bumps and irregularities on the track, so Im definitely buying this, in spite of all the other negative aspects like AI and uprezzed PS2 models.

Top Bottom